[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly, I Have Yet To Hear Any Realistic Counter Argument.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: Fuck Wallstreet.jpg (259 KB, 610x396) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Wallstreet.jpg
259 KB, 610x396
I have yet to hear anyone counter this argument for why the the minimum wage should be increased to $15. Not trying to start any shit by trolling; honestly want to have a discussion about the minimum wage and have people successfully/realistically counter this argument.

OK, so you agree inflation exists, especially in the US right? Then it's reasonable to assume you agree that the purchasing power of $7.25 back in, say, 2007 was alot stronger than the purchasing power of $7.25 in 2016 right now? To clarify: you were able to buy a lot more products with $7.25 back in 2007 than you are able to now in 2016. OK, then why shouldn't the minimum wage be raised to $15 when the American dollar has gotten weaker?

Usually when I argue this people try to ignore it and/or never have an explanation to justify maintaining the minimum wage at $7.25. I want to know if people on /pol/ can successfully argue against it.
>>
Increasing the minimum wage increases the price of goods and services, thus making it harder to buy anything and increasing the problem
>>
>>69600984
The prices of goods and services have been going up even without a min. wage increase.
>>
>>69600132
We haven't undergone 100% inflation since 7.25 was set.
>>
>>69600984
/thread
>>
>>69601053
And increasing the minimum wage will accelerate that trend
>>
>>69601053
And now they'll go up even more.

And now the job market will be fucked because you're devaluing high-income jobs. Why bother being an electrician when you can flip burgers and make roughly the same?
>>
>these examples
>those incomes

Holy fuck where are they pulling these numbers from
>>
>>69600984
/thread
literally the first chapter of most highschool economics textbooks will explain this concept to you
>>
>>69601327
Those incomes are not that high for working professionals
>>
>>69600132
Why not get rid of fed min wage and make it state. Cause iowa living is cheaper than Cali or New York. Fed min wage is stupid
>>
Increasing the cost of business means a reduction in hours and personnel and an increase in prices.

I honestly don't know where the autistic assumption that if a business has to pay people more, they'll make more money. No if they have to pay people more, they'll lose more money. Having more money doesn't magically make that money more valuable and now that it profit margins are getting cut, that increased income suddenly doesn't buy very much.
>>
>>69601397
Once again, everything would be so much easier if we let the states decide
>>
File: canadianshitposter.png (38 KB, 365x214) Image search: [Google]
canadianshitposter.png
38 KB, 365x214
shut the fuck up
>>
>>69601397
>>69601523
This.

As with just about everything in politics, the states should decide for themselves.

Someone on the West coast has no idea about the needs of someone in the midwest.
Someone in DC has no idea about the needs of someone in the deep South, etc.
>>
>>69601201
Because one is more interesting than the other? Some of this logic doesn't work because flipping burgers every day is boring.
>>
>>69600132
Increasing the minimum wage doesn't automatically increase the value of the labor those minimum wage employees do. If labor costs are disproportionate to the value the labor creates then a company will take measures to reduce labor costs i.e. reducing work forces and increasing the workload on remaining employees or shifting to automation. Neither of these are particularly good for anyone involved in the short term although automation generally ends up being a savings to the business owner once initial costs are recovered.
>>
>>69601715
But it's easy and requires no skill or education to do. So now you've succeeded in destroying a person's incentive to do the job that is harder do.
>>
>>69601715
if people worked for enjoyment and not out of necessity, there would be no burger flippers.
>>
>>69601715
Literally every job is fucking boring. I quit working in a lab because I could make the same flipping burgers. Why the fuck would I wanna work a shitty shift with dangerous chemicals when I was getting paid the same to fuck around at bk?
>>
>>69600132

You've answered your own question, OP.
The issue isnt the amount of money, it's the money itself.
Inflation is the issue that needs to be solved. Raising the minimum wage doesnt help, and probably makes it worse.
>>
Stop importing millions of spics and see what happens to wages naturally before making drastic changes
Not all jobs are worth $15/hour
All you're doing is drastically incentivising the employment of illegals
>>
If selling drugs on the street becomes less lucrative then working at a minimum wage job then crime would likely decrease. These jobs are for mostly single mothers that suck up welfare and food stamps anyways. Like over 40% of minimum wage workers are females between the ages of 30 and older. I rather them work then freeload off of handouts all the time. What market are they going to devalue anyways? What market are they going to devalue? Shitty ass mom jeans and extra shit they couldn't afford with that job? They're going to buy the same amount of food if not a tad bit more.
>>
>>69602009
Because one is more fulfilling than the other. Obviously, you choose that field for a reason. You needed to get the education for it and if you had the choice, you probably wouldn't have picked a field you hate.
>>
>>69600132
Because this starts an infinite cycle of increasing wages and increasing prices while also killing any jobs below that specific amount of money per hour.

Raising your wage isn't the correct way, lowering inflation is and making the dollar worth more is.
>>
>>69600132
>Everyone looks depressed
Jesus Christ, I'd be having a great time if I ended up with 170k/year after taxes
>>
>>69602363
No Colin, working in a lab is shit and the managers treat you as slaves. Mostly because of h1b visas meaning they can hire actual slave indians. The conditions there were shit and I fucking hated it. I don't know anyone who doesn't hate it.

You are basically killing the entire medical lab industry because no one would work there over flipping burgers
>>
>single parents, two children
>Income: $260,000

Absolutely wat
>>
>>69602405
It's not like they are printing out more money. They are paying more or relocating some of the wealth to people that end up spending all of there paycheck. Last I remember buying more shit is good for our economy. If anything our economy today is based off of how much shit we buy that helps create jobs.
>>
>>69602809
Listen, Ms. Singh, maybe we should just cut the H1B visas. "I'm sure your husband misses his mom in India anyway.
>>
>>69600132
The answer is to eliminate minimum wage all together, go back to gold and silver, and rape the the kikes of their illgotten wealth.
>>
>>69600132
This is the only post you need to read, after that shoot yourself in the mouth.

WHY INCREASING MINIMUM WAGE IS TERRIBLE
for this situation we wont include Bernards other tax policies which cripple the economy we will simply look at the minimum wage increase.

The federal minimum wage has steadily decreased since a record high of 11-12 dollars in the 1960s the golden age.back then corporations had enough money to pay out high wages and still reap high profits. As the economy was in the best health.

What has changed? More people, less jobs, higher unemployment. Less money back into the economy high federal debt and taxes on corporations.

Imposing a 15$ minimum wage will have a domino effect, corporations will not be able to justify paying that much to knave workers, they will spend money upfront to automate work processes, this huge intial outlay will cause the price of goods to raise, when that happens other corporations will switch to robots which can work 24 hours never get sick take vacation or require healthcare. Small businesses being unable to compete will be forced out. Now the streets are awash with the unemployed and nobody wants to hire entry tier workers because they cost 30k a year to start. High R&D costs tank the stock market as people quickly pull out to trade on foreign markets. Unemployment gets worse as stores are unmanned, dindus get angry because a huge portion of the low class work force is displaced and crime increases severely. This is from a wage inc alone.
>>
>>69603138
Names are randomly generated for April Fool's Day you imbecile.
>>
>>69603447
That was the joke, you fucking lab rat.
>>
I would have a choice of becoming an undocumented worker making below $15/hr or losing my job entirely. Employers aren't going to instantly give everyone $15 an hour if their work isn't worth that much.

There's a reason why some jobs have low pay and why other jobs have a higher pay.
>>
File: image.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>69603676
>>
>>69603447
Shut up Loretta!
>>
>>69600132
Am I the only one who's impressed by income of those sad cunts?
>>
>>69603890
That was a joke, retard. What? You honestly thought I didn't know that? No wonder you're getting hustled at your job. You're a fucking chump.
>>
>>69601201

Minimum wage increases tend to force other jobs to increase their wages too. Your $15/hr plumber would see their wage increase to $20. The market would dictate that, and it's been proven that this happens.

As far as products increasing their prices, this is mostly untrue. If McDonalds could charge more for their burgers, why aren't they charging more now? The market only supports a fair value for things, and just increasing prices can force sales down, making less money for McDonald's or whoever.
>>
File: 1459215845083.jpg (114 KB, 486x812) Image search: [Google]
1459215845083.jpg
114 KB, 486x812
Ive been asleep all day. Wtf is up with all the namefagging?
>>
>>69600132
Because we're Americans, we deserve a good standard of living, and our military is big enough to slaughter to a man any corporation that tries to leave due to a wage increase and confiscate their assets. Abandon this pussy slave morality OP, the entire world economy revolves around us. If the plebs want 15, give it to them.

...oh I'm sorry, did you think people sucked kike cock here and bent over backwards to please the banks?
>>
File: read.jpg (77 KB, 906x768) Image search: [Google]
read.jpg
77 KB, 906x768
>>69600132
Go read up on some basic economics
>>
>>69600132
Okay OP let's say you hire some Mexicans at minimum wage. You get a lot of profit and enough to buy goods to sell/use
Now you have to pay them $15 and if you do your company will become poor
So you raise prices or fire people
>>
>>69601397
Better yet, leave it up to the cities. California is raising it to 15, the lifestyles and cost of living in San Francisco and El Centro are vastly different.
>>
>>69604201
>im the only adult in the world who doesnt know what April Fools is!!XD
Heres your reply, kill yourself btw
>>
>>69600132
What the fuck are these incomes jesus fucking christ why should we give a shit about the taxes of these fucking highrollers jesus fucking Christ family of 6 making 100k per person jeeesus fuck is this zimbabwe dollars
>>
argument huh......

DOT
com
>>
Minimum wage will always set the trend for basic necessity prices. A business will only charge as much as the market will support, meaning if everyone is walking around with a dollar in their pocket then the widget will reasonably cost 1 dollar. Raising the amount of money people generally have will raise the price of the widget this is doubly so if the increase is due to a minimum wage increase as now the increase in cost has to cover the increase in employee overhead. What this shows is that the number of dollars you have is irrelevant next to their buying power a gallon of milk costing 8$ when you only have 8$ is no different then milk costing 100$ when you only have 100$. This posses a problem for the people currently making roughly 15 dollars a hour, they currently have roughly double the purchasing power of minimum wage workers, with the increase of minimum wage they are faced with poor choices. 1 they can receive no raise and the company will lose management positions because why would someone manage a company for the same pay as a burger flipper. 2 they will receive a raise of 7 dollars just like the minimum wage workers meaning they make roughly 21 dph, that means their buying power will be comparatively less then it was before the wage increase once the market compensates for the higher pay. 3 they are left with arguing for 30 dph in order to maintain the buying power they had before which is absurd. In the end the rising tide may lift every boat but it won't make them any higher off the water.
Wages will have to be raised across the board because nobody wants to have earned their way up to a decent wage and find themselves making 5 dollars more then someone folding clothes in a Macy's. This will result in only mega corporations like Walmart being able to absorb the costs, crippling small startups and private businesses, ironically Walmart will become an actual monopoly because progressives killed all of their competition.
>>
>>69600132
$7.25 in 2007 is not equivalent to $15 in 2016 you dumbfuck
>>
>>69600132
>Raise minimum wage
>Lower class becomes unemployable
>Middle class wage becomes worthless

Wow, it's almost like government intervention in the market is a fucking awful idea that caused the current problem, and will only make it worse.
>>
>>69600132
You shouldn't force a wage increase on the labor market, otherwise you will create unemployment. The best way to raise wages is reducing the supply of minimum wage workers, and that can be done by deporting illegal immigrants unfairly competing with the American workers
>>
>>69601715
downvoted
you are actually retarded.
>>
>>69600132
minimum wage shouldn't exist in advanced society, yet the retards keep working for pennies, so i support it..
>>
Back the fuck off?!?!?
>>
>>69600132
>weed costs $40 per 1/8th in 2003
>weed still costs $40 per 18th in 2016

EVERYONE BTFO
>>
>>69600132

Sshhiiiieeeeeeeettt

I live in a state with a $7.25 minimum wage and companies are still getting rid of those people and hiring illegals.
>>
>>69603382
This

once the min wage goes up, companies dont want to hire workers since it gets expensive
that means everyone loses their jobs

who the fuck have you been talking to OP?
dont forget
>after that shoot yourself in the mouth
>>
>>69600984

Except they don't increase as much as the increase in buying power for poor people because minimum wage is only a tiny fraction of the money in the economy.
>>
>>69601053
No shit we need to dissassemble the fed not raising minwage which would just increase inflation even more
>>
I make 60k a year and if minimum wage goes up to 15 dollars I'll be getting a part time job somewhere every winter and I'm going to be the laziest piece of shit ever and can quit whenever I feel like it. The extra money will be used to clear any debt I may have
>>
>>69605158

>Once we abolish slavery all the businesses will go bankrupt and the entire country will collapse

This argument needs a cool name like the plantation fallacy
>>
>>69601327
>increasing the wages of a small, low wage, in underplayed portion of the population will result I. Runaway inflation!
No, not at all.
>>
>>69600132
>OK, then why shouldn't the minimum wage be raised to $15 when the American dollar has gotten weaker?
Fighting inflation with more inflation?
>>
>>69604136
But fast food prices just went up two months ago by roughly $0.25 across the board. Increasing the minimum wage does nothing but devalue our currency even further, as companies will not want to take the hit to profits and will instead raise prices/fire people to match the increases in their operating costs
>>
>>69600984
The issue isn't so much cost of goods increasing, it's the cost of housing. When owners know their tenants are making more money, they know they can increase rent and essentially the minimum wage earners gain nothing, while everyone else also see everything increasing in price with no increase in wage to compensate.
>>
>>69603118
Buying from Walmart which buys from China does really help though.
>>
>>69607310
>does
doesn't*
>>
File: FOR GREAT MAGA.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1972) Image search: [Google]
FOR GREAT MAGA.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1972
>>69601715
>One is more interesting than the other.
Only a tiny fraction of engineers find their work truly engaging enough to justify all the work they put into acquiring the skills. I'm considered good at my job but I wouldn't bother if there was an easier way to make the same amount legally.

Confirmed for liberal-arts college millenial who thinks there's a little ubermensch in everyone
>>
>>69600132
>OK, then why shouldn't the minimum wage be raised to $15 when the American dollar has gotten weaker?
Because it'll make things even worse you commie shit for brains.
>>
You're a fucking idiot if you think raising the minimum wage is good for the poor. What you're doing is adding a price floor to the labor market. Businesses will look to cut costs by limiting hours (so they no longer have to comply with expensive health care regulations), move to automation, and straight up release a ton of people. Raising the minimum wage will raise unemployment, while functioning as a deterrent to productive job growth. I don't think it's a good idea to raise minimum wage and welfare benefits simultaneously; it's extremely reckless and most liberals need to learn some ECO 101.
>>
>>69601397
Fucking this. Where I live we have some of the lowest home prices in the country. People don't need $15 an hour for a living wage; not even close.
>>
People on this board unironically believe that all the costs of the minimum wage increase will be passed on to the consumer and the companies will suffer no losses, leading to the "muh inflation" meme.
>>
Why stop at $15? Why not make the minimum wage $100 an hour? $500? $5000? Then everybody would have all the money they would ever need! :^)
>>
> if our dollars are worth less, we just need more of them
>>
File: 1457700952163.jpg (493 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1457700952163.jpg
493 KB, 1280x1920
>>69608448
sum weak shitposting m8
>>
>>69600132
>those incomes
Who drew this shit? I want to beat the shit out of them
>>
>>69607028
>companies wont raise prices if theyre forced to double the wage of every floor sweeper and burger flipper
>companies wont fire people who dont make a profit for them overall
>this wont cause greater unemployment and hurt the economy
etc, etc
>>
File: Missed the Mark.gif (1 MB, 204x360) Image search: [Google]
Missed the Mark.gif
1 MB, 204x360
Businesses exist to make money. If you drastically increase an expense they'll adjust by cutting back on that expense as much as possible. In this case, the expense is employees.
>>
>>69600132
The people in your picture are rich as fuck.
>>
>>69609154

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-80xIRuNQ
>>
>>69609073
must be canadian dollars
>>
>>69600132
I think what people fail to realize here is that it's not that minimum wage should never be raised but rather by how much it should be raised. Inflation and the natural up and downs of the economy changes how much a dollar is worth, so you can't just have a fixed minimum wage forever, it needs to be adjusted. However the local economy is typically tied to the minimum wage to some extent, so you need to watch how much you change it. If min wage was going from say, 7.50->8.75 or something like that, that would probably be reasonable. But changing min wage from 7.50->15.00 is absolutely retarded.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.