[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lg/ - libertarian general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1436278039280.jpg (80 KB, 404x417) Image search: [Google]
1436278039280.jpg
80 KB, 404x417
Libertarians and non-Libertarians alike are all welcome. Post issues, ask questions & receive answers, and discuss Libertarian issues in politics.

>What is Libertarianism?
Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment.

>How do I know if I'm a Libertarian?
Take the quiz: http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php

>Aren't you guys just anarchists?
While Libertarians think that a minimal centralized government is necessary, anarchists propose to completely eliminate the state, and that is not our goal.

>Is this party only in the United States?
Absolutely not. Several countries now have officially declared Libertarian parties, and the ideals of true liberty aren't confined to just one country. You can be a Libertarian no matter where you are.

Resources for learning more:
https://www.lp.org/issues
http://www.ontheissues.org/Libertarian_Party.htm
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic539489.files/Lecture_01_Introduction.pdf
>>
if you were about "maximizing autonomy", you would be an-caps.

fucking lefties.
>>
>>69569470
You guys are the niggers of the political right.
>>
>>69569963
Why is that?
>>
>>69570057
I doubt it. We're the only political party actively trying to take welfare and public assistance away from niggers.
>>
>>69570250
Why do you keep changing your name? I can see your ID.
>>
>>69570457
To throw the NSA off my path.
>>
Wow how about you don't start clogging up /pol/ with generals
>>
>>69570105

because as long as there is an entity that enforces it's will via coercion and violence (aka the State) there is no "maximized freedom". Libertarians don't seek to abolish the State, therefore they don't seek to "maximize freedom". An-caps do.
>>
File: 1437145390739.png (268 KB, 486x960) Image search: [Google]
1437145390739.png
268 KB, 486x960
>>69570728
Thanks for the bump, friendo.

>>69570800
We do seek maximized freedom. The government's role is to ensure you have your life, liberty, and property protected, and that's it.

If there's a society where you aren't guaranteed the freedom to achieve those things, you are not free.
>>
>>69571191

yeah, nah.

the State violates my property rights by taking my property (taxes) to "protect" my property (police). That's theft, not freedom. It also is kind of a mockery of the whole thing, isn't it? What if I am capable of protecting my property and my rights all by myself and do not desire the State's protection?

You are on the right path, I remember being you. It will all change after you read Nozick and Rothbard.
>>
>>69570800

Anarcho-capitalism and minarchism are different branches of libertarianism, but libertarianism nonetheless.
>>
>>69572722

He said they wanted to "maximize autonomy". Which the don't.
>>
>>69572114
>he State violates my property rights by taking my property (taxes) to "protect" my property (police). That's theft, not freedom

It's also why a libertarian state would charge almost no tax.

Before 1913 the government took no money from a good majority of the population. Even for a few decades afterwards this was the case. Used to be you had to be legitimately well off to even be in a taxable income bracket.

Personally I would much rather there be a court system in place to enforce contacts and protect me against fraud.
>>
>>69573205

so you'd be okay with me shooting you with almost no bullet?
>>
>>69572955
Oh, yeah.

The only way to maximize autonomy is by completely abolishing the state. The state depends on theft and coercion to exist, so it's existence is immoral in itself.
But i have to admit sometimes i wonder if making natural resources private would not be catastrophic. i'm drifting between minarchist and full anarcho-capitalist because i'm still full of doubts about this issue.

I understand that the state by nature violates property rights and individual freedom but...
>>
Why do libertarians like it when children whore themselves out in the slums to buy heroin money?
>>
Also, why don't libertarians want the state to enforce morality so that I'm not allowed to rape and beat my children every night?
>>
File: listen.jpg (67 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
listen.jpg
67 KB, 640x640
>>69573925
>so you'd be okay with me shooting you with almost no bullet?

No I wouldn't, but in a free society me being able to shoot back is why you'd be too much of a bitch to "shooting me with almost no bullet"
>>
>>69569470
We need a time travel machine so we can see what each canidate's presidency will be like so we can choose depending on who has the best term
>>
Um...yeah...no. I'd prefer not get labeled OP, and will kindly turn down your offer to herd us all into a dog kennel.
>>
>>69574190
They don't co done this behavior. The child has parents doesn't it?

>>69574474
Libertarianism isn't anarchy, generally. There are still laws preventing you from infringing on the rights of others, like beating and raping your family. Don't be retarded.
>>
>>69574092

the only criterion one ought to consider is morality, not efficiency or what-not - taking into consideration anything else but morality and justice is utilitarianism, which leads to 1. nozick's utility monster and 2. to the uncomfortableness of such dilemma as the doctor's dilemma (the one with 5 sick patients and 1 healthy one).
>>
>>69574602

you missed the point. Taking whatever amount of my property, be it 1 dollar, to protect me or whatever, is still theft and has nothing to do with maximizing autonomy.
>>
>>69569470
Libertarianism is closed-border nationalist, prove me wrong
>>
>>69575566
>3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders. However, we support control over the entry into our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property.

https://www.lp.org/platform
>>
>>69575039

you're the retard. In a stateless society one would be entitled to compensation in case his rights were violated. It's called natural law or whatever you wanna call it.

laws don't seem to be magically jamming guns and grabbing hands of thieves and murderers, senpai.

the repercussions is what matters.
>>
>>69575651
You've been subverted by jews

Just as a private individual can defend their property from trespassers so can the citizens of a nation defend the collective property of the citizens. For that is all a libertarian nation is, a citizen's collective.

And, according to the principles of free association, a group of citizens are under no obligation allow outsiders to enter or join
>>
>>69576791

>For that is all a libertarian nation is, a citizen's collective.

what? libertarianism isn't collectivist. your entire post makes zero sense
>>
>>69575566
>>69575651
rekt
>>
Gary Johnson is a God
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.