[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pol's opinons on these books.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: noice.jpg (246 KB, 1840x1227) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
246 KB, 1840x1227
Sun Tzu's Art of War, Carl von Clausewitz's On War and Herman Khnan's On Thermonuclear War.

Are these books good for learning about war and strategy? Are there any books on modern warfare?
>>
All you need to know about modern warfare is that planes win conventional wars and guerillas wins long wars.
>>
>>69452354
What about Anti-Air units? How are they best used? How are Anti Air units overcome? What is the best way to counter guerilla warfare? This is the sort of stuff I want to know.
>>
>>69452354
Modern war is nuclear war and in this case wouldn't planes be equal with submarines and ICBMs?
>>
Just want opinion on books lads, come on someone must have read them here.
>>
I can tell you a lot, but why would you want to read that?

What are you trying to achieve?
>>
>>69452215
>Sun Tzu's Art of War

Aphorisms and what amounts to platitudes now (because they've been repeated so much you've heard the content already in other forms).

>On War

Highly technical, dull, dry reading. Literally from another era of warfare and applies only selectively to today.

Haven't read the last one.

>books on modern warfare

B H Liddell Hart - Strategy is pretty good but not as "modern" as it was.

If you mean modern as WWII era the big ones are Rommel's Infantery Attacks and Guderian's Panzer Leader.

If you want contemporary there's no go-to sources that I know of. You probably want to read more about drone use and special forces use; that's what war looks like now. Also paramilitary forces.

I can tell you for sure there's nothing to prepare you for a WWIII event.

Ukraine was the latest modern vs modern skirmish, but one side was completely overpowered. Still, you get a feel for the tactical strongpoints (airfields, schools, government buildings) and what a European type city looks like in ruins.

Also if you want tactics and not strategy, you should look into urban combat books. That will be the battleground of the future. Every city war risks being a Stalingrad.
>>
Sun Tzu's is timeless as it is about defeating opponents in general as opposed to strictly warfare tactics and strategy, Maciavelli also wrote an Art of War, Che Guevara wrote some books on guerrilla warfare
>>
>>69453092
Partly for fun, also because I hope to join the Royal Marines as an officer. Just want to sharpen up my ability to think strategically.
>>
>>69453143
Thanks for the feedback. I would also be interested in books on tactics, any of them in particular you would recommend?
>>
>>69453587
I like tactics as well strategy is for generals
>>
>>69453885
Do you know of any books on the subject? Have you read any of the ones in the op?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.