[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did most non-Anglos learn English here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 33
File: europe.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
europe.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
(By "anglo," I mean nation where English is primary language).
To be quite honest, most non-natives here write English just as well as most natives. And If you didn't, you'd get so much shit here you'd leave STAT.
Did you learn from electric synagogue, vidya games, movies, or just from net? Do you ever feel like it takes away from your own culture when you find yourself "thinking" in English? Do most of you speak with heavy accents?
>>
>>69337042

>>>/int/
>>
>>69337085
Ok p.s.- do you find it influencing your political beliefs? (I am badly autistic, let me stay on board where I feel comfortable...far more OT shit here)
>>
I used to play tibia back in 2002 and that got me started. Also learned some huespeak but it's not as useful.
>>
Also wonder how following this election has helped people's grasp of English... have seen fucking people in Nepal spouting out delegate laws in Idaho that I have no clue about.
>>
>>69337042
Vidya, TV and Movies. You'd be surprised how much you pick up on when that's the only thing raising you
>>
internet, mainly online games and forums

i also had classes but compared to the massive amounts of english i used outside class it was practically pointless
>>
Sort of odd that people in..France or Mexico (where it seems few speak English) decide to hang out on an English language message board. But 99% of time, I would not know you weren't hates without flag.
Asking how you learned bc I'd like to learn Russian. Also, when writing English for Uni, do you ever find yourself writing "debnts" or any of the other weird spellings here?
>>
School
>>
ugh....weren't "here," not "hate"
>>
File: 1457218895827.jpg (20 KB, 400x238) Image search: [Google]
1457218895827.jpg
20 KB, 400x238
>>69337407
>compared to the massjve amounts of English
>>
>>69337383
>You'd be surprised how much you pick up on when that's the only thing raising you
See that's what sucks about being born here. I feel like the majority of middle class kids in all other first-world countries just learn from TV and net...we never used to hear anything but English, until suddenly our last democratic debate was in Spanish.
>>
>>69337042
Playing videogames in the early 90s, then school and later on school + internet
>>
>starting english in grade 3
>watching cartoon network as a kid
>games
>television and movies

i think in hunglish
im using hun expressions in english

its a bastard language im using so pierre and hans can understand me

i probably have an accent since im speaking alot less
>>
would most of you consider yourself in the top 5% of your nations in terms of English?
Last year was in Italy, Germany, and Malta (Eng an official language in Malta) and literally everyone here seems to have a better command of language than anyone I met.
>>
>>69337042
I've been playing multiplayer online games since I was 11 years old. I also had formal English classes in school for 8 years. I think it's a mix of talent, curiosity and habit that has enabled me to speak, read and write English on a high level.

I think I've lost most of my German accent and replaced it with an American one, because I've listened to a lot of American speakers and hated Britcucks for as long as I remember.
>>
>>69337690
>m using hun expressions in english
People do that with Maltese. Instead of "hung up" they will say "he cut in my face" bc somehow that comes from the Maltese expression.
>>
Mainly from MMORPG's, Vidya, and a fuckton of subbed animoye
>>
>>69337407
I heard that huehues have excellent powerpoint skills. Is this real or a meme?
>>
Kind of embarrassing to be an American. At my companies office in Malta, was looking at CVs and literally everyone had 4 or more languages on there.
I'm barely proficient in Spanish and write Latin. I wish Russia would develop a good movie industry so I could learn that way.
>>
>>69337435
English is the most surrounding language. It's everywhere. And simple as well.
>>
Used to date a girl from Iceland, and she told me that young people there (18 or so) barely even use Icelandic around one another, and that she thinks completely in English.
Kind of depressing desu.
>>
Only place in Europe I've found so far that literally no one understood a word of English was Sicily.
Those are some scary motherfuckers. Went to see Aetna for a day, ended up getting lost, fucking no one spoke a word of english.
>>
I should go grab an english textbook soon desu since I feel like my english has been deteriorating ever since I left high school. I can read and understand everything but coming up with sentences has become much harder than it used to be.

what amazes me are the people in Canada or Mexico that speak no english. How is that even possible
>>
>>69337042
Vidya mostly
>>
>>69337042
RuneScape
>>
>>69338780
>Used to date a girl from Iceland, and she told me that young people there (18 or so) barely even use Icelandic around one another, and that she thinks completely in English.
Ahh, thanks USA! Wiping out indigenous culture and replacnig it with globalist uniform ''culture'' since WW2!
>>
File: a-liongirl.png (4 MB, 2860x1656) Image search: [Google]
a-liongirl.png
4 MB, 2860x1656
IS this girl Spanish? Have been looking for video they go this from, obsessed with finding more pics of her....
>>
>>69338196
Well, that's clearly not the standard for most people in european countries. The average citizen will know his native language and English (and he'll most likely not be very good at both of them). German speaking countries get a bonus because it's a very similar language to English.

Most of my English I picked up from games, shows and online discussion. School was pretty useless in that regard except for constant writing exercises.
>>
>>69337042
video games
proper grammar in school
>>
>>69337042
I learnd from video games mostly wow but movies to because i hate how they butcher jokes and the general dialog while translating

Thinking in english is pretty neet if you seriously wanna learn a language

We as european have an big advantage over you murricans anyways if it comes to language
Shitload of diffrent languages in a relatively small area and most of us speak atleast 2 of 'em
I speak german english polish and spanish

I don't know if i have an heavy accent but germans tend to belive that i make regular trips to english speaking countrys

Hope i could answer your questions
>>
>>69337042
>raised in the UK
>talking to alot of people, online and off
>vidya
>getting my grammar corrected one too many times on the eenterwebz
>watching alot of movies
>tfw can speak in any accent I want
>>
>>69337042
Basics in school.
Then WoW, Family Guy and House M.D.
>>
>>69337042
School is useless here. Best way to learn is from vidygames, movies and the net
>>
>>69337480

Digital Freudian slip, friendo ;^)
>>
Welp, i can understand fluent speakers and native speakers, but my grammar sucks, because i`m too lazy for self education.
>>
>>69337042
I learned basics by watching every episode of DBZ, Full House and Step by Step when I was a kid.

I learned grammar at school.

I learned how to speak better and articulate by playing WoW through my teens.
>>
Father is a dual polish-US citizen, I have a green card, was able to speak fluent english by the time I was 13. Mostly self-taught but english was actually spoken in the house so that got me a kickstart as a kid.

It got me a neat job for an american company, basically the most important skill I ever learned in life.
>>
>>69337042
Had english since 1st grade.
Play games
Read chinese comics.
>>
>>69337690
>>69337667

Huh, so you guys can spell and read in English fluently... But if you and I were to talk you'd probably sound like a Welshmen with 4 boiled eggs in his mouth

Least English is better than most languages at sounding mostly like it reads
>>
>>69337042
School, and playing vidya, reading books written in English, movies.
>>
>>69337954

You in former East or West Germany?
>>
File: lsd.gif (804 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
lsd.gif
804 KB, 480x480
>>69337042
learned it from a somali. i met brits n strayans in vacation, we could not understand each other and we hired a random local somali to translate. good times at dreamhack in stockholm.
>>
They start teaching English here in 3rd grade so that's how most people get the basics.

But personally I learned the most from video games and TV shows. After you listen to thousands of hours of English there is no need to think about grammar or pronunciation, you just know right away whether what you're saying sounds like correct English.
>>
School, consuming content in English and reading as a final part. That's it.
>>
>>69338780

Why depressed? Assuming America doesn't an hero completely in the next few decades English will be so completely that it might become a true common language, not just a common trade language. You can travel anywhere and be understood.

Seems pretty cool to me
>>
>>69341571
>Least English is better than most languages at sounding mostly like it reads

This isn't true at all. A language that sounds like it reads mostly have very few unique vowel sounds.

English also has a lot of weird ways to write words to specify a different way of pronouncing it. For example, adding "e" to the end of words like "write", "where" doesn't make a lot of sense in a lot of languages, because you don't really pronounce the "e" at all, you just change the way the previous vowel is pronounced.
>>
>>69337042
When I as little I would spend days weekly at my grandparents who had a huge dish in their backyard so they had a lot of channels others did not. I watched Flinstones, Jetsons, Scooby and all those old shows as well as old Simpsons on tv as a kid. There were no subtitles and so I learned the language simply by learning words and how they were used in sentences. On the normal tv you had power rangers, x-men etc. with dutch subtitles which also taught you the language. This is why I was disappointed when the dubbed everything Dutch instead of keeping it English, it wouldn't teach kids shit of the language.
>>
>>69337042
I learned English by playing Maniac Mansion on the NES. When I speak English I camouflage my Dutch accent by immitating Nigel Farage's accent.
>>
>>69341160
how are you in libya right now?
>>
File: killme.jpg (46 KB, 1090x600) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
46 KB, 1090x600
>>69341919
Good.
>>
>>69337042
>Did you learn from electric synagogue, vidya games, movies, or just from net?

School.

I also learned Swedish (best cuck language this side of the planet), German and French.

>Do you ever feel like it takes away from your own culture when you find yourself "thinking" in English?

I never think in English? How would one go about that?

>speak with heavy accents?

Indeed. Its called Danglish here.
>>
>>69337042
I've been watching English language movies and TV shows since I was a kid, played lots of vidya, browsed internets etc. etc.

I often think in English, and sometimes forget words in Norwegian and end up using English words instead, when speaking to other Norwegians. It's pretty common though for Norwegians aged 25 and younger to incoroporate English words and expressions in their everyday Norwegian.

My accent is some sort of hybrid between New Zealand and UK English, got that from watching lots UK TV shows and from being friends with an exchange student from NZ back in my 3rd year in high school, where I ended up subconciously picking up parts of his accent. When I travel abroad I'm often mistaken for an Englishman and sometimes an Aussie.
>>
My stepfather taught me English simultaneously with Dutch, my native is Polish. I was raised in 3 languages. Because of tv, movies, vidya and internet my English vocabulary surpasses my Dutch and far surpasses my Polish which is at a level of a child. I'm more anglophone than anything else.
>>
>>69338780
I know quite a few Icelandic folks (family) and that statement is factual wrong. She might be a weirdo who speaks and thinks in English but most Icelandic people do not. Young and old.
>>
>>69340131
Doesn't look spanish to me.
North italy maybe?
>>
>>69342851
>Doesn't look spanish to me.
>North italy maybe?
sorry, actually posted this in wrong thread, but any info welcome.
she's from "The Lion" video and several anon really want to find out who she is and if there's more video.pics of her bc she's hot as fuck.
>>
>>69342684
>know quite a few Icelandic folks (family) and that statement is factual wrong
Can only go by what I was told mate, we met here while she was spending a year abroad.
She also told me that lots of Icelandic girls now date and have kids with Poles, which sort of pisses me off bc Iceland has by far the purest blood in Europe and sad to see it tainted from 100% celt and nord.
>>
File: 1451777992006.png (287 KB, 208x352) Image search: [Google]
1451777992006.png
287 KB, 208x352
>>69337269
>DUDE TIBIA LMAO
>U
>D
>E
>
>T
>I
>B
>I
>A
>
>L
>M
>A
>O

>>69337042
vidya, films and older brother's pressure
>>
>>69337042
It's thought in every school in every civilized nation, you dumb fucking yankee.
>>
>>69337042

- From video games in early 90s when i was little
- Banging hot tourists who are sick of effeminate cockless european men
- From your mum
>>
>>69337042
This picture explains why I can't see stars in the night
>>
>>69338055
we do brother
>>
>>69337042
Classes, TV, music, i read lots of articles and books in english, but my spelling is horrible as Ive never lived in english speaking country.
>>
Forced to speak it under penalty of imprisonment of death, and huge amounts of native Irish speakers left the country or died during the famine allowing English to take over as the primary language.
>>
>>69337042
>be into video games
>all the german resources are just translations from english
>all the media surrounding video games is in english or a bad knockoff of english content
>get a more solid grip on the english I learn in school by reading video game guides and forums
>still pretty bad vocabulary and grammar when writing
>find 4chan in like 2009
>lurk for over 2 years, never posted a single thing
>have really good reading comprehension by now, start reading all my books in english if the author is english speaking
>start posting on 4chan

Basically, the english speaking community is for obvious reasons A LOT bigger than german, finnish, italian or whatever communities.

I'm not subscribed to a single german youtube channel because they're all either 3 years behind the curve in terms of humor and content or they're just plain ripoffs of a better product
>>
>>69343687
>From video games in early 90s when i was little
>- Banging hot tourists who are sick of effeminate cockless european men
>- From your mum
the only english a roach really needs is "hey little girl, want some candy?"and "If you scream, I'll kill you."
>>
We start to learn English in first grade here in Norway.. And the internet made it even easier..
>>
>>69337042
vidya and cartoon network
>>
>>69337042
well im american but most people here learn english in school. some learn russian or german or whatever but most people choose english
>>
You're right: there aren't many people in Mexico who can speak English in a decent way. And within the group who can, there are two tiers:
>I'm actually fluent
or
>I just understand what my edgy metal lyrics songs says, but that doesn't prevent me from boasting about it

My interest sparked with vidya, but then my habits changed as I grew. I moved to books and movies.
>>
File: Stargatejpg.jpg (159 KB, 1554x754) Image search: [Google]
Stargatejpg.jpg
159 KB, 1554x754
>Be a 12yo kid
>Watch cartoon network in the early 00s
>Can't understand shit
>Play vidya
>Can't understand shit
>All the cool comics in the library are in english
>Can't understand shit, this niggery needs to end.
>Start looking up words I don't understand; every single time I didn't understand something I'd find it and memorize it.

>Tfw you got through a game/tv episode and understood everything for the first time.
>>
>>69337042
>tfw Dutch
>tfw Irish accent
I just tell people that I'm Irish (I'm not)
>>
File: 1306648266714.jpg (597 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
1306648266714.jpg
597 KB, 2304x1536
Fucking hell I wish my school gave us the option to choose a European language instead of Japanese

Japanese is literally rated as the hardest language for English speakers to learn

I might be able to speak French or German nowadays but instead I can just shitpost on /a/ better
>>
>>69339834
Yeah cuz it was brutally imposed on Iceland... oh wait it wasn't just a strong cultural influence from the greatest country on earth.

Sorry Achmed, looks like it will between your Arabic imposed by the sword and rape, and out English that grows from Culture and Enlightenment.
>>
>>69347377
>dutch with an Irish accent
Are you really sure you're not just a massive faggots who thinks he sounds irish
Do a vocaroo
>>
>>69341504
pretty much this
>>
>>69341839
Agreed it reads completely different and the vowels are poorly differentated by letters.

WAAAAYY better than French though
>>
>>69337042

We are shut-in weirdos who don't go out and don't have much of a social life. So we spend most of our time on the internet talking in English and after a while write pretty well.
>>
>>69341901
>hiding your native accent
As long as it isn't 'de naait is darrek ent foel of terrers' tier it's nothing to be ashamed of imo.
>>
>>69337042

>What is a functioning school system that teaches English
>>
>>69347377
In london a dude once asked me if i was northern irish, do dutch accents really sound irish?
>>
>>69337042
Video games.

Also one guy asked me why I said "A I'm" when trying to say "I'm", because most of my English was self-learned I wasn't aware you're not supposed to write it phonetically.
God bless that nigga.
>>
File: baby3.gif (313 KB, 300x182) Image search: [Google]
baby3.gif
313 KB, 300x182
>>69337042
vidya and annie may

>mfw bitches thought i lived in britain/the states for a few years
>>
>>69337042
dookie and mltr greatest hits album
>>
i used to watch cartoon network in english all day when i was a child, so by the time i got into 3rd grade and started taking english lessons i was pretty much fluent
>>
People who post on an english-language website are obviously self-selecting.

p.s. I'm an anglo expat.
>>
>>69337042
when i little boy father say GO ROOM
but no room, Mirko live in room so i go in shed
in shed gipsi profit, she say if you stay i curse you..?!_

so i go visti grandfather vladivoj
he watch cartton channel, say "look at sekxxxy cartoon giri"

so i watch cartton giri.
she spik english, so i spek english yes.
>>
Vydia, TV and school as a child. Online forums and MMORPGs (Runescape when it was good was my first multiplayer) as a teenager.
>>
>>69350431
thats just a collection of letters

try again.
>>
>>69348009
I-i-it's not like that at all.
>>
>>69337042
Going to a private school in London means I have the poshest accent known to man. I actually put on a south coast accent day to day when I'm forced to talk to the plebs.
>>
>>69337042
Denmark is a small country and Danish isn't widely spoken beyond our borders. Therefore TV-shows, movies and so forth are never dubbed only translated, so you kinda get a lot of English from there.
Personally, because I streamed/downloaded lots of TV shows and movies over the years as well as having played a fair amount of video games, I learned some English there as well.
My family has also been traveling a fair bit among others a long trip to Australia and New Zealand and shorter trips to other English-speaking countries.
Add to all that the fact that we're taught English in school form a very early grade and keep having English till we finish high school. And then, in Uni, most of the books are in English and even some courses are taught in English as well
>>
>>69350731
No I SPEK ENGLISH
>>
When you watch US TV, ate there any accents you can't understand? like accents in Deep South, esp niggers?
Was watching Baltimore riot coverage last year with Italian GF and were interviewing Deep South nigger about something and she asked me to translate bc she could not understand a word.
Is that common? Happens to me with Scots sometimes.
>>
File: boexwvlr.png (258 KB, 800x1089) Image search: [Google]
boexwvlr.png
258 KB, 800x1089
>>69337042
Video games, mostly. I remember having a big-ass English-Finnish-English dictionary around and I'd look up words to make sense of the game dialogue (X-Wing, SWoTL, Transport Tycoon, SimCity 2000, Commander Keens). I remember scoring 52/50 points (the test had a few bonus problems) on my first English exam because by the time we started having English classes I had already absorbed a shit ton of vocabulary. Elementary school classes helped with the basic grammar, but starting from middle school I didn't really pick up much from the classes. They were mostly focused on memorizing the definitions of obscure grammar rules over learning how to actually produce coherent text or speech, which meant that even native English-speaking exchange students (we had a couple guys from Canada) struggled in the exams. At the university I started a blog to improve my writing, and then left for an exchange term in the US, which rid me of my horrendous Mongol accent.

I still fake the Mongol accent sometimes though, because speaking like an American seems to intimidate people, kek.
>>
>>69350818
Btw, I think I speak decent English. You can probably tell there's an accent but I wouldn't say it's as bad as it could be. I try to put some effort into pronouncing the words properly and use a more extensive vocabulary
>>
>>69337042
I used to play a lot of video games as a kid, which later resulted into me discovering the internet, youtube and then funnyjunk. I had to learn English in order to enjoy that and then stuff like manga and English literature either not translated to Czech or impossible to get here.
>>
>>69337042
computer games
>>
*are. But I know I live in land of fat ppl scooters so it's funny it says "ate"instead...
>>
>>69337042

i learned it in school, had good grades but wasn't able to speak or understand it properly.
many years ago i found 4chan and now my english is pretty good.

it is great if you speak different languages, started to learn spanish.
in some years i will learn russian (i am already able to read cyrillic)
>>
File: ConkerWar_BFD.png (276 KB, 320x308) Image search: [Google]
ConkerWar_BFD.png
276 KB, 320x308
>>69337042
Conquer bad fur day. Don't know why.
>>
Video games and translators. It wasn't really hard.

Brazilian Portuguese on the other hand is another whole degree of mental gymnastics.
>>
>>69337042
I learned it through vidya and internet. Then school.
I hate it when the media uses too many "anglizismen". I have the typical german accent
>>
>>69337042
I learned mainly from school (for the basics), then I learnt by myself, with internet and I traveled for practice. Now I'm quite comfortable with english.

I always think about this : US/UK people only speak one language, they never have to practice another language (and when they're asked to speak French for example, they start bitching about "uh speak english u retard"). They don't know what's it like to search for things on the net and having 99% of the answers written in another language. So non-english speakers have to adapt, while english speakers just dwell on their own language...
>>
>>69337042
I started playing Runsecape when I was 9 and discovered 4chan when I was 12. I used to be terrible at English back in primary school, getting grades just enough to pass the year (6 out of 10 at most), when I went to high school I got 8s and 9s (still out of 10) almost exclusively during the first 2 years. The highest grade I got for my exams English (8/10) followed by Physics (7.5/10). Then I fucked around on tertiary education for 2 years but didn't finish either years because I couldn't make friends. Now I'm going to adult high school hoping to procrastinate tertiary education long enough for me to brush up my social skills.

My whole life has been a mistake, I wish I went out with friends and played sports back then instead of wasting 7 years of my life on this shithole.
>Do you ever feel like it takes away from your own culture when you find yourself "thinking" in English?
No.
>Do most of you speak with heavy accents?
Yes and it's awful. A Dutch accent is the worst one you could possibly have.
>>
Videogames, books, movies and the Internet.
Currently studying English Studies.
>>
>>69337042
I seriously have no idea but I just learned it easy and fast. I was at 6th grade level when people were still learning "what is your name".
>>
Are there any words in your language that just don't translate to English?
Have heard that non-Russian speakers can never really appreciate Tolstoy, etc.. Bc some words and ideas just do not translate.
Sort of get it bc I grew up with Guineas and an expression like "un catzo" is almost impossible to really translate into English bc it means a weird combo of things.
Thinking about "Rosetta Stone" for Russian desu but too pricey and the torrent version without all the stuff just doesn't seem to do it.
>>
>>69351567
Rosetta Stone is garbage. Learn oldschool from uni textbooks.
>>
>>69337042
A bit in the middle school between the ages 11-14
from then on i learned most of my english online because i was a shut in loser.
>>
>>69341512
Are you me?
>>
>>69339834
>Wiping out indigenous culture and replacing it with globalist uniform ''culture'

Better than wiping out your own culture voluntarily.
>>
>>69351365
>A Dutch accent is the worst one you could possibly have.

Trust me, there's far, far worse.
>>
>>69337359
>what are proxies
>>
>>69337042
School
>>
>>69351567
Of course.
"Calzonazos" is my favourite word. It figuratively means "you are a pansy, your underwear is too big". We use it derogatively towards white knights.
>>
>>69337042
I have started with computer games, then it was my school. I speak with heavy accent:(
>>
>>69352158
>implying any Indians call center workers actually speak "English"
>>
Sometimes I wish we had "another America" only with a different language and that also made lots of video games/ tv/movies... Like if Russia had never gone commie maybe, if the Jews had never taken over and killed off best of gene pool.
Would be fun to speak another language and have another nation's politics/ internal bullshit to entertain. Hard to follow euro hsbbenings in real time, esp since last 2 have been in French speaking nation s.
>>
>>69352077
Like what?
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>mfw the whole world speaks English finally
>>
>>69337042
Video games, tv shows, net
>>
>>69337042
Got real lucky. A professional interpreter was looking to teach English to her granddaughter. I was the only kid around of about the same age, so they invited me to join. Several hours every day during summers we were playing, eating sweets, basically having fun - and learning English in the process.

From there on, there were RPG video games with lots of dialogues, then books and movies in English (though I did have problems understanding those at first). Most people around here - the vast majority, actually - either don't speak foreign languages at all, or speak terribly. In fact, many have problems speaking even proper Russian.

I would've been among them if not for that woman. Instead, I work as a translator and am looking to become a writer. Funny how things turn out sometimes.
>>
File: 1457422482704.jpg (70 KB, 875x720) Image search: [Google]
1457422482704.jpg
70 KB, 875x720
>>69352456
Cheers for that.

Learn to say aluminium properly though.
>>
>>69337042
Black metal
Knew words like blasphemy and sacrifice before words like kettle.
>>
>>69351567
i've heard there isn't really an english word for "gezellig".
It's kind of a combination of being cozy and having fun with friends. Or like a nice atmosphere. Not really sure how to explain it.
>>
>>69337042
watching cartoon network as a kid, I could speak English when I was like 5, don't know about my accent tho, never got it judged by a burger
>>
>>69352083
>>what are proxies
Judt used "Nepal" as a really extreme example, but really meant mostly French/Aussies who seem genuine and bc of Trump have been closely following election. Even poo-in-loos.
>>
Cartoon Network for speech, Runescape for vocabulary and school for strengthening grammar.
>>
Portugal doesn't dub movies (unless it's children's movies), and even cartoons weren't dubbed up to a couple decades ago. So we have that, videogames, and mandatory 5(+?) years of English at school.

And, of course, we have private tutoring like anywhere else in the world, if you can afford it.
>>
shitposting
>>
File: 1458130656315.jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458130656315.jpg
49 KB, 600x600
>tfw foreigners have a better grasp of grammar than I do
>>
File: 1448044803463.jpg (53 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
1448044803463.jpg
53 KB, 620x387
>>69352744
Nah fuck that

This scene is nearly as funny saying aluminum the way you pronounce it

https://youtu.be/r7T9gicSnR0?t=83
>>
>>69337042
I learned English by watching Scooby Doo
>>
>>69352744
I say it like, "aloo-min-eeum" but everyone here thinks I'm crazy
>>
>>69337042
YouTube honestly. Almost all german YouTubers are cancerous, so I started watching English video producers in like 2009.
>>
>>69337042
Mostly from vidya and movies. Lessons in school didn't really help.

No, not really.

Not anymore, but it's still noticeable. Working on getting rid of it, but it takes time.
>>
>>69337042
>>>/b/
>>
Video games when young , movies and series after that until now . Didn't really learn anything other than grammar at school.
>>
>>69337042
Everyone who was born after 2000 did english classes when they are young

Almost everyone i know has at least a degree
>>
Video games, there were never n64 games in spanish
Also a shitfuckload of hours in WoW
>>
File: never forget aryan man.jpg (17 KB, 250x324) Image search: [Google]
never forget aryan man.jpg
17 KB, 250x324
>>69337042
Because my country has been infected by the Eternal Anglo
>>
File: 1435510468592.jpg (80 KB, 520x750) Image search: [Google]
1435510468592.jpg
80 KB, 520x750
>>69353192
>Everyone who was born after 2000
>>
>>69353267
No one cares though. No one cares about the Netherlands and no one cares if you hate the UK. It's like the opinion of an ant.
>>
File: Anglo slavery.jpg (36 KB, 413x600) Image search: [Google]
Anglo slavery.jpg
36 KB, 413x600
>>69353408
>No one cares about the Netherlands
You did for quite some time, BEADY EYED MENACE
>>
>>69353124
>>>>/b/
Why is it always the fucking frogs trying to take a shit in the punch bowl?
We're having a decent, informative thread. With all the fucking "is x degenerate and "pol BTFO," THIS is the thread you feel the need to give your opinion belongs in "b?"
Are you a shitskin or just a really bad autist?
>>
>>69337042
From movies, tv shows, video games, books and a lot from internet not counting 4chan. It's everywhere and it is ubiquitous. I suppose there are English classes at school but i think there are a lot of sub par elements in the Finnish educations system. So i've certainly learned most of what i know just passively being immersed in it for such a long time from the importation of anglo culture and media.
>>
Barbosafag here,
I learned to read pretty soon. My grandpa was this bad-ass motherfucker with pen friends, etc. all over... then I had Cartoon Network and movies, which especially back then were either subbed or not at all (CN); my family got me a VHS collection called "Magic English", with Disney, and also one called "Sesame Garden" (not Street) or something, I think. I spoke amazingly advanced English at 7 or so. Then there were optional English classes with this hot brit English teacher, who then went away though, then they were instated at 5th grade anyway, and the rest is History. Kind of bloggy, but that's what you asked.
tl;dr If you're not a retard, it's mostly down to your age and the scope of your learning. Speaking Portuguese, English, German, Spanish, French moderately and taking up Japanese, though, I do find there are lots of grey areas in which I know expressions in one or several languages, but not in all. Politically? It's just a tool for cultural contact.
>>
File: 1443672026798.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
1443672026798.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>69353781
Because the french are the most assblasted of any people that English is now the """Lingua Franca""" of the world
>>
>>69352416
Pizza kaffir
https://youtu.be/aHEZA_4jqgI
>>
File: horde.png (935 KB, 640x777) Image search: [Google]
horde.png
935 KB, 640x777
>>69353784
>being immersed in it for such a long time from the importation of anglo culture and media.

Based cultural hegemony
>>
File: dutch people.jpg (259 KB, 1178x744) Image search: [Google]
dutch people.jpg
259 KB, 1178x744
>>69353667
So you want to talk about the 17th century? I'd rather talk about now.
>>
>>69353941
>Because the french are the most assblasted of any people that English is now the """Lingua Franca""" of the world
kek, true m8, I hadn't even put into the equation that French on here would still have that hangup.
Old habits die hard.
>>
School is a big part, six years of it in elementary plus three in high school.
Add in, books, music, tv, movie and videogames and you get the point.
Though my pronounciation sucks since I barely ever speak english.
>>
I learned english at Wizard(famous english school here in Brazil).
No, Brazil has close to no "culture", it's just a few whites trying to make the country better for a bunch of niggers.
Sometimes, when I speak to native speakers that are older than me(native speakers that are in their ~20s) I sound like a terrorist, when I speak to an younger native english speaker I usually do good.
>>
File: Anglo daily business.png (439 KB, 694x544) Image search: [Google]
Anglo daily business.png
439 KB, 694x544
>>69354150
This is your work, Winston
>>
File: 1458219291707.png (37 KB, 1248x1504) Image search: [Google]
1458219291707.png
37 KB, 1248x1504
>>69337042
Who /runescape/ here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YxgBrnorI
>>
>>69337042
tv mostly cartoon network, video games, books and lastly school

Yes. It's wierd when I catch myself thinking in english instead of polish. Sometime ago I even had a dream in english. Spooky. I started to read more in polish since then.

In conversation I try to suppress typical polish "accent", but it creeps out from time to time.
>>
>>69337176
It effected me as a whole, whenever I go to the internet I always look for information in english, they are way more complex. And about politics, there is no information on the internet other than the basic "left vs right", so trying to learn real politics and real history without knowing english is completely impossible.
>>
>>69341571
Russian is pretty phonetic though. Гдe я мoгy нaйти хopoшyю pyccкyю видeoигpy?
>>
>>69354677
>right in the feels

I miss being 12, I was actually happy back then
>>
>>69338338
>And simple as well.
I don't think people like OP have picked up on this but the non-Anglo scum on this website doesn't speak English as well as he thinks. You can't actually say "surrounding" in this context but you filthy non-Anglo savages do it so much that we Anglos don't even notice.
>>
>>69354768
Also, world news like the Paris happening and everything else that gets to our news from the outside come completely distorted, it's impossible to be aware of the world without knowing english. And then when I show proof to someone with a site like CNN talking about some happening they say something "huh now you know more than the tv? I never heard of this site before, if you are so good at being better than then why don't you try getting a job there?".
>>
>>69337042
Forgot to answer the extra question, i do find myself thinking in English more often than not and i do find myself peculiarly more familiar with it than my native language Finnish, i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though. I think i used to have a nasty accent in the past but after i was shamed by one Dane who speaks fluent accentless American English. Since then i've been seeking to remove my accent by any means necessary and i do think i've succeeded. There are still some problematic words i come upon every now and then that flabbergast me.
>>
>>69337042
I learnt eternal anglo on /pol/ americuck
>>
File: rTGPp82.jpg (11 KB, 411x369) Image search: [Google]
rTGPp82.jpg
11 KB, 411x369
>>69354677
>>
File: 1456049156383.png (763 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1456049156383.png
763 KB, 800x800
>>69350431
/thread
>>
>>69351365
>My whole life has been a mistake, I wish I went out with friends and played sports back then instead of wasting 7 years of my life on this shithole.
>>
File: 1447840999011.png (837 KB, 1500x1383) Image search: [Google]
1447840999011.png
837 KB, 1500x1383
>>69354960
>>
File: ss (2016-03-30 at 05.36.44).png (2 MB, 1164x863) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-30 at 05.36.44).png
2 MB, 1164x863
>>69350431
Fresh
>>
>>69355637
Yes. I could've been normal.
>>
File: 1436506793139.jpg (45 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1436506793139.jpg
45 KB, 540x429
>>69354677
>>
me learned english because of lurking 4chan
>>
>>69337042
School, then movies and TV shows, then studying in the US, then working in New York. Now I must at least use "fuck" in every second sentence.
>>
>>69352416
French
>>
>>69354150
>Utrecht, Netherlands
my god, it lives in my city
>>
>>69352744
Aluminum is the original though.
>>
>>69337042
Got the basics in English class, eventually got better due to me wanting to actually understand the lyrics of the songs I was listening to, then came animu, then came 4chan. I am by no means a 'perfect' English speaker, but I'm confident that I am way above average in my age bracket (24).
>>
>>69337042
American Cartoon-fucking-Network
>>
school, from 3rd grade to 12th
>>
>>69358349
mama had a chicken mama had a cow dad was proud he didn't care how
>>
>>69337042
>STAT
what is this?

Also, i have perfect score on TOEFL. Stay mad Amerifat.
>>
>>69358696
>Also, i have perfect score on TOEFL.
And yet your English accent is still horrible.
>>
>tfw you've been thinking in english for so long

help
>>
>>69358696
>perfect score on TOEFL
>can't even capitalise I's

Your writing section must have been pretty smooth.
>>
File: 1459276507287.png (831 KB, 617x905) Image search: [Google]
1459276507287.png
831 KB, 617x905
went to an elite school in estonia, that focuses on everything related to england/english

>Tallinn English College

you might've seen pics of the grills from my class if you visit /b/ and
>>
>>69348716
Het heeft mij een paar seconden geduurt voor dat ik het door had dat da "the night is dark and full of terrors" moest voorstellen. De meeste mensen die ik ken praten ook Engles op zo'n manier en ik moet altijd cringen daarvan.
>>
>>69337042

in my case, it was cartoon network. it was aired in english in poland for some reason and I watched that shit for hours when I was a kid
>>
How do you anons who learn from games and films actually learn?

Does it just eventually make sense, or do you play with subs and it comes together that way?
>>
>>69337042
English is basically the nigger of language.
It's unsophisticated, unintelligible, and propagates itself whether anyone wants it to or not.
>>
>>69358837
I know dat feel kebapbro
being in a bachelor taught in english definitely doesn't help
>>
>>69337042
Mostly learned because of vidya, then TV shows and movies. Had to skip a bunch of English learning books thanks to growing up playing games. Pretty much fluent without any Indian tier accent, even though I never speak English.

Normies though? They are still terrible at English.
>>
>>69359159
This shit only works when you are a kid, bro.
If you are over 7 you are fucked. That's why you will never learn to speak proper Chinese.
>>
>>69359183
English is a mongrel language, consisting of Germanic, Latin, Greek etc. patterns. It is easier for people to find something they can work with as a gateway.
>>
Some people say I have a slight Dutch accent, some say I have a slight Slavic accent, I think it just fluctuates depending on who I talk to. An American once mistook me for another American. I also use the American pronunciation for most words, some words British, but only very few.
>>
>>69359362
So you just watched and it started to make sense, that's pretty cool when you think of it.
>>
>>69337042
movies (we never did overdubs)
gaymes
internet and computers
books
>>
>>69337359
Theyre called proxies you simple bitch
>>
File: o-POWERPUFF-GIRLS-facebook.jpg (129 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
o-POWERPUFF-GIRLS-facebook.jpg
129 KB, 970x545
>>69359561
Yes. I've also watched ProSieben.
When you have cartoons in Polish, German and English it's hard not to grasp meaning based on situational context.
>>
>>69359561
I learned grammar from tv/movies and videogames. I already knew English as a toddler though. By the time I had to learn it at school I always passed 100% without studying and I disrupted the class for fun, made the teacher cry once because I got everyone to play videogames.
>>
School, vidya (WoW with ventrilo/teamspeak), reading (hobbit, harry potter, lotr), movies, tv, having cousins in Burgerland
>>
>>69337042
i learned the englisch in school for for years. i watch many cartoons aqeiered my englisch skills with that. i also spoken to an englishman in in the streets when he wanted to watch the time.
>>
>>69359954
>I learned grammar from tv/movies and videogames.
After hearing the language as a child proper sentence constructions sound natural to you and the incorrect ones sound weird.
Make sure to make your child listen to English and Chinese.
>>
>>69337042

Watching cartoons as a kid, I'm Dutch and nothing was dubbed yet, even half weren't subbed.
(there was 1 Dutch kids channel but it sucked)
>>
>>69360155
Can we all agree that dubbing movies and TV shows is cancer that is doing hard to our children?
>>
>>69360048
Subtle German bantz
>>
>Started english leasons when I was 6
Also videogames like wow, mmos in general, movies and series with subtitles
English is a very easy language to learn, especially because it doesn't have a lot of rules like spanish does, for example
si =/= sí
si can be if or the musical note B
sí means yes
Having a good ortography in spanish is a LOT more harder than having a good one on English
PS: still learning english, so i may have some problems
>>
>>69358983
It's called being down to earth. I write god like this. Stay Mad, turkey.
>>
>>69359954
>>69359937
You reckon it could ever work with non-Europan languages? Kids learning chinky or nip?
>>
>>69337042
I learned the basics at school. I have a knack for learning languages and I internalize a lot of rules instinctively, so the only problem was my vocabulary. The internet rectified it soon. And no, I don't think it takes away from my culture. Some concepts are harder to speak about because English just isn't as expressive as Czech, though. It feels somewhat... restricted and sterile, probably because the morphology is so different. Anyway, no, I don't think in English unless I type long texts in English, then it can occasionally happen. My accent is Slavic as fuck, my American/English friends always tell me I sound like a KGB agent.
>>
>>69337042
Vidya, books, movies and a little bit of school.
>>
>>69360099
I was actually talking more about spelling which is a part of grammar. English isn't too different from Dutch in terms of sentence structure, some parts are in different order but it's super easy to get the hang of it. I left Poland when I was 3 years old and self-taught correct Polish spelling by reading whatever like street signs, bags of chips etc and figured it out on my own, also taught myself Cyrillic alphabet by reading my old Polish passport which had several languages among them Russian in it and compared it to Polish and deciphered it based on similar words. I have a knack for learning languages.
>>
>>69337042

Wtf do people live places illuminated by red lights? No wonder why the irish are so retarded
>>
>>69360508
I'm gonna put you on the spot, what concepts are hard to talk about in English.
>>
>>69360480
>Kids learning chinky or nip?
Yes it does work, but the studies show that children after 7 lose that magical ability to learn by listening. Read any book on brain development written by cognitive scientists/linguists.
>>
>>69360653
It's the reflection off of so many gingers.
>>
School a video games mostly
>>
>>69339215
In Canada the people speaking only French are either in the northern prairie provinces, and are so far away from everyone else that they might as well be at the South Pole, and Quebçois who refuse to learn English for political reasons.

Source: I grew up in Canada.
>>
>>69360755
Oh I know kids brains are like spongs, I was just wondering if they could pick up the reading and writing from TV and Games
>>
>>69360480
I reckon that would be very difficult as translations for subtitles are rarely literal and that goes double for Asian languages, combine that with completely different sentence structures, and those languages are very contextual. Compared to Japanese and Chinese, European languages share a lot of similarities.

I actually study 日本語, and I notice tons of mistranslations in subtitles. To be fair it's a difficult language to properly translate in to a European language. You have to like think like them to properly understand it.
It's pretty awesome to be able to understand Japanese puns though which most would miss out on.
>>
>>69337042

I learned English from a self-teaching course book as an adult, then I worked for one of the then Big Five consulting companies in a lot of places, for instance a couple of years in the USA. I've never seen the inside of a class room where English was taught.

It probably helped that I was very flexible when faced with strange linguistic paradigms because most the fundamental assumptions one may make about how language works are broken in me. This happened because I grew up as a trilingual child, a minority Hungarian in Romania, in a family with a fetish for German/Yiddish. If you speak Hungarian and any other Indo-European language, you'll end up taking very little, if anything, for granted in a third language, because the common features are so few and far between.
>>
File: balkan.png (2 MB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
balkan.png
2 MB, 1000x750
>>69337042
Anti-fa refuses to speak Slovenian, so I had to learn English to laugh at them.
>>
>>69337042
By lurking 4chan.
>>
monty pythons flying circus was aired with german subtitles here, and i also watched a lot of dexters lab on cartoon network
>>
Thank you all for learning our language, from England
>>
>>69362411
Last I checked, Angles came from Denmark and Saxons from Germany. You guys are cucked Celts
>>
>>69361486
really? they cant be that childish, right?
>>
As we dont have to learn any other language we can learn other skills.
>>
>>69363900
Studies have shows knowing multiple languages increases intelligence.
>>
>>69350643
Uncommon
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.