[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/, what do we do if a massive meteor is detected about to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 590x350
/pol/, what do we do if a massive meteor is detected about to hit Earth? What would the political state become? Is there anything we could do to survive?
>>
>>69310626
yeah but like how big are we talking
like the size of texas? or what
>>
>>69310626
Ever played that game "Soma"? It's about humanity being decimated by a meteor, the surface becoming uninhabitable and humans being forced to live in underwater bases eating algae.
>>
>>69310626
Buy some mdma, fuck some hookers i guess.
>>
File: 1458866764921.png (708 KB, 1007x569) Image search: [Google]
1458866764921.png
708 KB, 1007x569
>>69310626
I'd have a giggle
>>
Rape. A lot of rape.
>>
>>69310626
We will try to nuke it or w/e but it will fail
Humans will die out because iphones are more important than space exploration
>>
>>69310626
Trump would blow the fuck out of it.
>>
>>69310626
Ideally, we would redirect its course with a missile.
If that wouldn't work, people would evacuate the deadly strike area.
The humanity would be in shock after that.
>>
I'm a faggot who has done a lot of research on this type of thing since I was a kid and I'm 24. AMA

There is almost nothing we could do unless it was discovered a year or more ahead of time.
>>
>>69310626
It also completely depends on the size of the rock.
>>
I guess the civilized world would abandon traditional values and become more and more degenerate as they cease to care about the future. Gee... can you even imagine that?!
>>
The one that killed dinosaurs and everything on earth but birds, oceans creatures, fish and burrowing mammals was 6 miles wide, what is you scenario?
>>
>>69310626
could try to change its trajectory with nukes.
>>
>>69310626

We could easily stop it with a Verneshot.
>>
>>69310626

Be more descriptive.

And, I'm not just trying to be a dick. If you want a discussion, then set some parameters. Size of event. Strike zone. Time frame.

All of this shit is essential to try and comprehend and imagine what the world reaction might be.

I role-played this on /pol/ last fall. Was actually an interesting discussion.

Pic related: estimated strike zone of a 2 KM asteroid (a dark body, so probably solid iron &/or stone rather than a comet which would still be devastating but significantly less overall energy due to mostly dust & water).

NASA just detected it a few hours ago, President Obama just announced it will strike the surface of the Earth in 100 hours.

OKay. Go! /pol/

wat do?
>>
>>69311091
This. With enough time we could use rockets to divert the rock out of earth's trajectory. But time is required to send out the rockets and then change the meteor's course. NASA is too underfunded to be much use for detection, so we are sitting blind for the most part.
>>
>>69310626
I TOLD YOU FUCKS TO KEEP NASA GOING
BUT NOOOO, IT WASN'T "ECONOMICALLY FEASIBLE" OR "MORALLY JUSTIFIABLE"
YOU LIBERTARIAN FUCKS HAVE DOOMED US ALL
>>
Im glad its over
>>
>>69311324
If that's the strike zone Europe is finally saved.
>>
File: creteormater.jpg (1 MB, 3714x1024) Image search: [Google]
creteormater.jpg
1 MB, 3714x1024
The one that created this massive crater was 160 feet wide.
>>
I remember a series or movie with this scenario where they nuked the meteor but it broke up into small ones and killed most people anyways.
>>
>>69310626
We all die, it would be so wonderful.
>>
File: 1450314057167.gif (702 KB, 268x342) Image search: [Google]
1450314057167.gif
702 KB, 268x342
>>69310915

>Gundam will never be real in my time
>I'll never experience a colony being dropped on the Middle East

It's not fair.
>>
>>69310820
underrated game and post. SPOILERS FAGGOT.

AMAZING game though. seriously.
>>
get to the Jellison Ranch
>>
>>69311605
That's .737 miles wide. 3/4 of a mile from end to end created by a 160 foot rock going 13 miles per second and it carved out a crater almost a mile wide.
>>
>year is 2020
>after four years of the Trump presidency a meteor is spotted and is quickly headed towards earth
>most have given up home
>all the sudden nuclear missiles launch from each country
>they are all aimed at the missile.
>an emergency broadcast is made just at the time when the missiles are about to hit
>it cuts to Donald, Marine Le Pen, Nigel Farrage, Vladimir Putin, Narendra Modi, Xi Jinping, and Kim Jong Un saying all at once "You're fired"
>meteor is BTFO like the bush campaign
>100m chunk flies into mecca and other chunks hit the middle east
>all pakistani nukes are shot down so they recieve no credit
>Trump is declared president after a landslide vote.
>>
>>69311761
>Soma
>good
It's shit philosophically, completely ignores the concept of an ego-bridge.

Good horror game, though.
>>
>>69311705
>tfw we'll never get to escape this hell hole to a beautiful space colony
>>
>>69311909
>ego-bridge

What's that?
>>
>>69310881
Who you gonna buy it from?
At this point money doesn't matter and your dealer would be doing it all himself. Also, what hookers are prostituting if money doesn't matter?
>>
>send rocket into space
>rocket pushes asteroid just enough to change its trajectory and miss earth
>???
>extinction BTFO
>>
>>69311131

Hmmmmmmmm
Kind of like right now you mean? Wow, it's almost as if the problem is people are wageslaves and know they don't have a real future other than work/taxes/death.
>>
>>69311131
>cease to care about the future
>cease
When have humans showed evidence of caring about the future in the collective utopian sense you are suggesting?
I must have missed that history class, because most of what I remember involves brutal warfare, disease, and ignorance. Every society thinks it is enlightened, until it gets fucked in the face.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1024 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1024 KB, 500x213
>>69311821
>>
>>69312094
Conciousnous is assumed to be a process, not a singular entity. Provide a connection for the process to move though and continue over, and sever it once it inhabits the new mind.
Rather than copying and pasting, which results in two separate consciousnesses, this results in a singular consciousness with no loss of continuity.
>>
>>69311324
Rape some girls, then kill myself.
>>
>>69312127
>rock that's the size of new York
>fuuukin send a cupple of rockets cunt she'll be right

Found you secret aussie
>>
>>69312406
I'd fuck Aubrey Plaza so hard it's not even funny. She loves getting slapped and choked. I know it when I see it.
>>
>>69312107
Fair enough, guess I'll just go on a rape spree then.
>>
File: meteor_crater_Arizona_987632-r.jpg (3 MB, 2560x2050) Image search: [Google]
meteor_crater_Arizona_987632-r.jpg
3 MB, 2560x2050
>>69311559

The red zone is where it will impact with greater than 90% probability, the orange is greater than 60% probability.

It's traveling at normal velocity for most meteorites: about 20 KM/sec.

It is about 8 times the diameter of the impactor that created Meteor Crater in Arizona:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater

So, on the order of 100 times more mass, and accordingly much more energetic. The blast radius will probably burn to the bedrock EVERYTHING in a 50 KM radius, and death more than 90% probably for just about any living creature larger than a mouse at close to 200 KN radius.
>>
>>69312739
Fair enough
>>
About 100,000 died because of Nazi treatment.

About 400,000 died because Russia and the US destroyed German infrastructure and food support for the camps.

The US needed to justify it's civilian bombings in Japan and Germany so it blew the Holocaust out of proportion. In exchange, Jews, a once hated people in America, became allies and took Palestine.
>>
>>69311430
>implying NASA could do jack shit about it other than look at it
>>
>>69312986
NASA is literally your only option you cuckmonkey
>>
>>69312824
In all honesty, I don't think I'd enjoy raping someone, so I'd probably just have a wank and go on /pol/ after.
>>
>>69310626
In that case i would make a flamethrower and kill bad politicians
>>
I hope there is no possibility of diverting it, and all human life is going to be wiped out. It's just not worth it, I'd prefer that it all burn.
>>
>>69313106
The happening thread to end all happening threads.
>>
>>69311832
>everyone agrees not to replenish their nuclear stockpiles
>instead the resources will be devoted to a new space program
>we live to see warp drive in our lifetime
>peace on earth as we begin spreading among the stars
>>
>>69311340
>>69311430
>only NASA watches space

This is what americucks actually believe
>>
>>69313106
So just a normal day then?
>>
>>69313186
Yeah, who'd want to miss that? A genuine happening thread, for once.

>>69313236
Pretty much.
>>
>>69313095
To do what? Study it?
>>
>>69313384
You understand that NASA is the only organization in the US that has left the orbit of Planet Earth right? Do you know that NASA is the only organization on Planet Earth who has a machine in interstellar space?
>>
>>69310626
Happening threads.
>>
>>69310626
I'd just have my cake and eat it too for all the times I've wished a meteor upon our rock. I'd really get what's coming to me I guess & I'm taking you all out with me.
>>
>>69313595
This is the same NASA that has to hitch rides to the ISS from Russia, right?
>>
>>69314058
Yeah that's what happens when your funding gets cut.
>>
>>69311832
You did it.
Manly tears accomplished.
>>
>>69314009
a meteor is a rock and you're a dick dude
>>
I just had an idea. I'd try to visit as many Thai hookers as I could and, them being buddhist, I'd try to convince them that by giving me a sympathy fuck that they'd gain positive karma and thus be more likely to be reincarnated in a more favourable light.

With any luck, the very real and near threat of instant annihilation by massive foreign space object may put them in a more introspective, and vulnerable state, leaving them more open to my suggestion of a better existence in the next life (which considering the state of the earth afterwards, is something any buddhist should be striving for).
>>
File: 1458375185491.gif (2 MB, 320x454) Image search: [Google]
1458375185491.gif
2 MB, 320x454
>>69310626
I tested this out on Universe Sandbox 2.

Programed a projectile that would approximate the force of the largest nuclear weapons.

100 MT

Results
>30km diameter
>80% silicate, 20% iron
>10,000 warhead impacts
>negligible change in mass
>no impact on velocity
>created a bunch of secondary debris
>impacted earth with devastating consequences.

There isn't shit we can do.
>>
I expect there would be initial gridlocks as there would be two main driving forces in the world. a) Get to a perceived safe place - Usually with family or friends and b) Gather food and supplies quickly. The more intelligent would head to the country creating short supply of resources in the stores. Farmers would be defending their land mostly from poachers and the first few murders will start occurring. Fear would be mainstream, and that is when the worst comes out in people. Hard to say but yeah probably a lot of shut curtains, praying, men being busy gathering and women being sobbing messes. Drug addicts would be escalating theft to get as much of the stuff as they can before they cant. Police will be shooting people robbing stores because even confronting death that is still all they know.
>>
>>69314327
Safe place what are you an SJW LMAO
>>
>>69310626

Nations would race to develop a technology capable of avoiding the disaster and the winner of the race will be hailed by other nations as the savior of the human race and it's existence and sovereignty as a political identity will be solidified for a very long time.
>>
>>69314242
What can I say.
You're right.
>>
>>69314327
>The more intelligent would head to the country creating short supply of resources in the stores.

Nah mate, the more intelligent would be heading for the point nearest to the impact site. What absolute twat would want to live in a world following on from such a colossal buttfucking?
>>
>>69314512
Yes, the world will want to escape to a place where they feel safe to be fags lol
>>
>>69312408
I dont see how thats possible.

Consciousness is an emergent property of a process.

Not a process itself.

Its a by-product.

Even in your own body, when molecules and cells get replaced, the only continuity is that tings get replaced in the same way.

The continuity is subjective construct, an illusion, your actually multiple people, with the feeling of having a past.

>Provide a connection for the process to move though and continue over,

Doesn't matter if it 2 seconds or 2 years , then end result is still the same splitting and continuing the same pattern.
>>
>>69314242
>4242
Oh, also, checked.
Very nice.
>>
File: icon.jpg (14 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
icon.jpg
14 KB, 288x288
>>69310626
There's one already coming in the Taurid meteor stream sometime by 2040.

And no amount of prayers to a sandkike god can prevent it :)

You have been warned
>>
File: r-newt-gingrich-moon-large5701.jpg (38 KB, 570x223) Image search: [Google]
r-newt-gingrich-moon-large5701.jpg
38 KB, 570x223
>>69315486
can a brotha get a source pls?
>>
>>69310626
not our job. Ayylmbraos take care of that
>>
>>69315829
I didn't know Newt was so big. Couldn't he just catch the meteor in the palm of his hand and eat it?
>>
Couldn't we just send 1 million lions to fight the asteroid?
>>
>>69310626
Have another drink, light up the herbal jew and say "Fuck it"
>>
>>69314242

Life, the Universe, and everthing. Twice.

>>69311045
But m8, rocks don't have dicks for him to suck
>>
>>69311324
Well I doubt it would sneak up on us since we know 99.9% of the asteroids over a certain size and are getting more accurate everyday. Realistically the only way would be to use a joint US-Russia nuclear wave to propel it off the course of Earth. The more time we have the more likely we can send a probe up to just tap it off its course.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.