[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the British accent that make English speakers feel more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 1456436910526.jpg (48 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
1456436910526.jpg
48 KB, 500x451
Why does the British accent that make English speakers feel more intelligible and self-confident than the American accent?
>>
>>69309332
whoops, there should be "that" after accent...
>>
>>69309332
to americans maybe, to me britfags sound unintelligible...
>>
>>69309332
Whichever accent the queen decides to speak in is the correct one, everyone else's is stupid.
>>
>>69309332
You're a xenophile. Blame the media, or human nature. Makes no difference.
More than anything though, its probably because British english has french, german, and all sorts of fun stuff to borrow from, and the people there have to enunciate more to be understood in other languages. Apparently, outside of America, its pretty common to be at least bilingual.

What does America have to pull from? Mexican spanish doesn't hold a candle to castilian. We don't borrow from asia, that works one way only, and fuck french canada.
>>
>>69309885
is this a copy pasta?
>>
>>69309885
YOU sir have *sips cum*
>>
>>69309332
American pop culture has ingrained in our brains that British accent = sophisticated villain.
>>
>>69309332
Only RP has a level of sophistication when spoken. Everything else in the UK sounds like hillbilly trash. Even then, Transatlantic accent has all the other accents beat.
>>
>>69309546

Saltier than the nuts that bear your name, Brazil.
>>
File: 1459252246179 (1).jpg (42 KB, 680x548) Image search: [Google]
1459252246179 (1).jpg
42 KB, 680x548
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1vi3PFQjwnF
>>
>>69309332
You're thinking of specific regional accents, mate. Most of our accents make us sound like drooling retards.
>>
The proper English accent is associated with high class and money. I wonder when Americans moved away from the English accent...
>>
>>69312833
>>69313004
rare?
>>
>>69309332
Honestly just makes them seem vapid and dishonest. When you listen to someone speak in an average American accent they're not putting on a show as to how smart they are, they're just speaking straight with you. Brits have to put on a front to compensate for their bad teeth, nasty breath, and rotting "empire".
>>
>>69313004
>making a vocaroo to have self validation
>>
>>69309332
British accent sounds like they have a big black cock in their mouths, down the throat.
>>
https://youtu.be/FyyT2jmVPAk?t=18s
Here's some accents by a stupid meme channel.

Basically it falls down to Received Pronunciation and Queen's English, the standard and fancy accents that you hear from the middle class and old money. The US has a boner for classed societies being a relatively new country with no old money, nevermind any with certain specific accents, because the association is with class, elegance, honour, prestige, etc etc.

It links into why the accents most similar to RP, like the Mid-west and San Francisco (not the Valley, that's a nightmare), the most middle of the way neutral accents are lauded as the most acceptable, while accents that deviate, from southern, Cajun/Floridian, Texan to New Jersey, are regarded as redneck, trashy accents for stupid hicks.
>>
>>69314325

How about mid-atlantic
>>
>>69314446
Made up accent for the sake of films attention and fulfilling the class boner.

>>69314559
Plenty. Go to the middle of England, go to one town and you'll here an accent, go to one 20 miles away and it'll be completely different. Go to London and find a (now rare) native Londoner and you'll find the OI M8, IT'S TWELVE BONG AND 42 DINGS

Cockney and rhyming slang is actually dying out because of all the nigger and eurotrash transplants, and most of the niggers speak jamaican niggerish, or american niggerish with some 20% bong.
>>
>>69314895

Hm, I'm not sure that it was just made up. I think it was the accent of high society back in the day, so hollywood picked up on it.
>>
I think the southern gentleman's accent is the best in the world.
>>
>>69315062
I looked it up quickly and apparently it was a learnt accent - there had to be guides teaching how to speak it, and it has no known historical roots
>>
>>69309332

Most English accents are shit. Cockney was nice but it's been bred out. An aristocratic accent in a movie is nice but every commoner I've heard who talks like that is just a pseudo intellectual ponce that does that annoying click your tongue on the roof of your mouth thing to try and sound more intelligent.

Ugh I hate British people.
>>
>>69309332
>British accent

You mean the stereotypical upper class British accent. That's what Americans think of and so British accents make a person seem more sophisticated to many.

Not many people in the US have real experience dealing with the various working class British dribble, it's worse than anything in the US except for jive.
>>
>>69314325
>no arabic or hindi

fake
>>
File: 1459308438597.jpg (125 KB, 676x545) Image search: [Google]
1459308438597.jpg
125 KB, 676x545
>>69314291
>>
>>69315674
>no arabic or somali

fake
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.