[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is College A SCAM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: AryanJUST.jpg (38 KB, 549x561) Image search: [Google]
AryanJUST.jpg
38 KB, 549x561
>>
>>69294577
Not if you go into STEM master field
>>
Always go STEM :^)
>>
>>69294577
Compared to online versions, yes
>>
>>69294577
Anything but stem is garbage
>>
>>69294682
>>69295051
>>69294780
Found the three lads whose jobs are getting outsourced to currywogs.
>>
>>69294577
No but people parroting "college is for everyone" is a scam. College is absolutely not for everyone
>>
>>69295251
>fucking leaf pointing out the meme
>>
>>69294577
It's severely overpriced, most of times isn't worth at all , and many professions shouldn't even require a degree.

So yeah, I think it's pretty scammish.

Also, STEM is just a meme, don't fall for it.
>>
>>69294577
i think lots of younger people overthink college.

if you can't afford college and don't have a clear idea of what you want to do then keep away.

but if your parents are flipping the bill then go to a mid-rate school and enjoy the experience.

college will give you time to hone in on your skills and talents and develop socially. it is a good way to learn about yourself.

but if you can't afford it and have no clear desire to do anything in particular? keep away.

yeah, it is a scam, at least here in USA. but if someone else is paying for it then why not? have fun.
>>
File: 04122012-201577-10-noodlebowls.jpg (117 KB, 500x251) Image search: [Google]
04122012-201577-10-noodlebowls.jpg
117 KB, 500x251
For the most part, yes, yes it is. The cost of college is inflated because millennials are still buying the Baby Boomer lie about 'go to college so you can get a job!'

Teenagers love it because they think it's an excuse to party for 3-4 years

Parents love it because MY CHILD IS COLLEGE EDUCATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Colleges love it because they keep charging more and fucking idiots keep going deeper into debt to pay for their useless degrees

Unless you're going for STEM, don't fucking bother.
>>
>>69295344
>fucking burger pointing out the leaf
How deep does the rabbit hole go, Bernie?
>>
>>69294577
Nope.

You do not learn jack-shit by yourself. Tutelage and pedagogy are fundamental tools to impart an education, and you will not attain one without them.
>but all this knowledge is available to me on the internet and in books!
But you don't know how to apply it. Which is why, despite the sticky, /pol/ runs around thinking that any argument containing an insult is invalid (first off? Insults are not necessarily ad hominems. Second? Informal fallacies have fuck-all to do with validity).

It's also about socialization in a collegiate atmosphere. The social skills learned there are incredibly important and, as someone who hires people working in tech? I do not give a shit about your certifications, if you do not have a college degree. I have seen way too many of those retarded neckbeards cause fifty problems for every one "out-of-the-box" solution they come up with.

It also forces you to learn basic writing skills, or fail.

The inability of adults to write in complete sentences that I encounter, on a daily basis? It fucking stuns me.
>>
I'm in the wrong school, so, in that regard, I can confirm. Make good choices, OP.
>>
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/theyre-practically-giving-away-colleges-and-universities
>>
>>69295710
>The inability of adults to write in complete sentences that I encounter, on a daily basis?
You did this on purpose, right?
>>
>>69294577
Careers and jobs are a scam you stupid peasants. Start your own firms and gut the boomers. That's the only way we win, otherwise the old fucks will drain us of our blood and livelihoods.
>>
Got a software engineering degree.

Learned to create applications in different programing languages.

Got paid ~62k + bennies starting

Have worked for a few years and I genuinely feel accomplishment for what I have produced and created and projects I have worked on.

Maybe the whole system is a scam, but I did okay, no debt, making more money that I know what to do with, able to help friends and family financially, genuinely enjoying my career and outlook on life.

Enjoying it as much as I can before the collapse of it all in war and chaos, it is a forgone conclusion at this point.

Working out, learning real history, preparing with tools/skills for the collapse but enjoying a modern cosmopolitan career in the meantime.

Also, I am sharpening my mental faculties so I can secretly subvert the liberal culture pervasive in normal society.

Doing this through social media accounts that are not directly linked to me, operating a digital media company that focuses on dissemination of ideas and thoughts through society as fast as possible, and subliminal red pilling of friends and colleagues in a way that makes them feel they stumble across the horrible truths of reality themselves.

All-in-all I consider myself a Trump supporting shit-poster meme magician first, and a software engineer to pay the bills second.
>>
>>69295710
>You do not learn jack-shit by yourself.

This sentence is only accurate when it's quoted back at you. The rest of us can do fine, thanks.
>>
>>69295710
>It also forces you to learn basic writing skills, or fail

So this is a troll post then, correct?
>>
>>69294577

statistically speaking, a college degree only increases your chances at a successful career by slightly less than 10%.
>>
I'm fine with people thinking college is a scam if they want to, if they're satisfied with how their life turns out under that belief then more power to them, but I personally find it to be a riskier path to success.

Also, although STEM is generally a good field, many disciplines are slowing down in demand, are being outsourced (will be in-sourced again eventually probably when the outsourced workers keep fucking up, but this is a slow reversion), not every liberal arts major is terrible, and business majors seem to generally be doing well right now as well.
>>
>>69295251
That why we are trying to get trump in the office
>>
>>69294577
Only if you major in something retarded like "exercise science" or "sports management."
>>
>>69294577
I make almost 60k a year as dog groomer and it took me 3 months to learn.

Suck a dick STEM fags.
>>
File: 55107399.jpg (204 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
55107399.jpg
204 KB, 500x500
>>69294577
I make more money in my trade than I did with my degree because of job experience.

The scam is coming from our parents convincing us to go to college without job experience in the first place
>>
>>69298949

>believing anything Baby Boomers say

That has always been our mistake.
>>
>>69294577
At this point yes, I think it is a pointless money sink, better to just start working whatever job you can until the situation improves.
>>
>>69294577

>Get a business degree
>Compliment business with a STEM degree
>Make millions

College is only a scam if you make it one. Many of them will happily scam the shit out of you if you allow them.
>>
Engineering master race reporting in.
you faggots need to stop getting meme degrees.
>>
People here talking about STEM let me share my experience at the ''best'' uni in Netherlands.

* Lots of subjects are close to useless and just academic masturbation for academic masturbation, you're never going to use more than 6 or so crucial subjects

* College doesn't actually make you any smarter or more useful, it gives you a certificate that you're not an idiot.

* Group work allows people to leech off everyone, if you make a complaint about doing almost everything the profs think they are le amazing teacher by looking down on you doing projects on your own.

* Profs lie all the time, especially about grading it is highly subjective. You don't get any insight in how the grading proces went and you're left with to assume that everything went clean it does not.

Lying profs + groupwork are valid reasons to me to just skip university entirely or not go to a full time university.

Every university bachelor that has more than 1 subject (I had 5 per 20 weeks) per semester with high group grading is absolutely terrible. And it is almost impossible even in STEM to stay away from group grading. It is university their way to promote leeching, dishonesty and sucking off others that is occuring so much among those running universities.

University is a big joke, just like high school was a big joke.
>>
>>69294577
no, but i find it fucked up that they aggressively get you to apply for loans when they full when know that you don't understand finance at 18
>>
>>69295251
nah m8, medical school in the U.S. is a boys and girls club. only the luckiest shitskins/canadians from top tier schools wind up getting into the lowest of the low residency programs
>>
>>69305566
Strongly agree re group work.
I have never been in a group assignment that was not bullshit.
Was it Gavin McGinnis who did a TED talk about how group work is a scam?
>>
>>69295710
It would be too cruel to rewrite your entire post. It contains so much writing errors that I'm surprised you complain about others you're working with writing poorly. Probably because you want others to do the work that you're terrible at.

You don't really learn social skills from an university.

>>69295683
It has also to do with business hiring only those with an undergrad degree. You were fine 20 years ago without all this bullcrap but politicians have fucked the economy to the point you need countless qualifications to land a job to afford a starting house.

Degrees already lost a lot of value and over time they will just keep losing value.
>>
>>69305566

>Lying profs + groupwork are valid reasons to me to just skip university entirely or not go to a full time university.

/pol/ is actually this retarded
>>
>>69295710

Even college educated people can't write a sentence without coming off looking like some kind of off the boat third world immigrant with English as a second language.
>>
>>69294577
Not when I don't have to spend a cent :^)
>>
>>69306752
I did a degree that had pretty much 3/5 units that were group work that accounted for 40% off the grade. In 11 units of the 13 that I recall that used this way of grading I did almost all the work, wrote a lot of mails to instructors who said they would look at it or grade differently just to double down and do something else entirely. This is what I also kind of meant with lying profs. Most of them are total liars, they ask one thing and they end up doing a very different thing.

Of course in business out of university lying occurs a lot as well but the amount I witnessed in university was staggering.

What I meant with not going to a full time university is that in the Netherlands you have the option to not write yourself in as full time student at a certain university and just go to a part time study institution that gets you your degree as well but it allows you to work. These courses do not have groupwork from what I've seen and they are very effective, more effective, than regular university in this country.

You are the one being a retard, probably someone who mooched off others all throughout university.

>>69305933
I haven't watched it. I was 2 times out of the 13 that I recall that weren't total bull. All the other assignments I ended up writing to tutors about people taking random 2 week vacations, doing nothing, dropping out of their degree and other horrors.

9 out of the 11 told me it was my responsibility to keep people motivated and to deliver something that would be graded the same as other groups. That's why I really came to hate university, a lot of the time if I had intensive group work my hours per week shot from around 25 to 40-50 since I had to do that much more since nobody did shit.
>>
No, but it is also not for everyone. I think its best reserved for people looking to go into STEM and other white-collar professions that require extensive knowledge like doctors, lawyers, and engineers. I'm not saying we should get rid of the arts and humanities but I think we should really only encourage people who really want to go down those paths from the beginning to actually go into those fields.
>>
>>69298371
Holy fuck. Do you work in a chain? If so, which one?
>>
>>69307532
3/5 huh? All bad things come in 3/5.
>>
No, it's a multiplier. If you're an idiot you aren't going to get much out of it, its also compounded by the fact that if you are an idiot you will choose a shit topic to study making it even worse.
>>
>>69294577
It really depends on your degree. thats all.
sure you can get a liberal arts degree, but you will make nothing.
but if you go into science or math you will make money...if your grades are good
its incredibly competitive now adays
you need to do well in your class
but yeah science and math degrees are usually your best bet
if you can write well that will give you money too
anyone who can write well will be just fine
>>
>>69294682
>>69294780
>>69295051

Don't listen to these faggots.

Journalism is GOAT.

Math faggots only wish they could fight for your rights.
>>
>>69295344
>getting memed on this hard
>>
>>69294577
>no more than life is
>>
>>69298293

physical therapists getting paid $40/hr++ and have a super secure job that will never go out of demand

shit example bro
>>
File: 1459219987493.jpg (56 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1459219987493.jpg
56 KB, 604x453
Any other sanitation engineer fags here? Feels good making 80k a year and all i have to do is take a trash bag and toss it in the back of a truck.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.