[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Israeli company hacks San Bernardino terrorist’s iPhone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: 1397023032485.png (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1397023032485.png
20 KB, 250x250
An Israeli company has succeeded in helping the FBI to hack the phone of a terrorist who carried out a deadly mass shooting in California last year.

Terrorist couple Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed 14 and injured 22 before being shot dead during the attack on a San Bernardino County Department of Public Health training event and holiday party in December.

The FBI asked Israeli technology firm Cellebrite for assistance after its battle to force Apple to open Farook’s phone got bogged down over legal arguments.

Yesterday, US authorities announced in a document handed to California’s district court that “the government has now successfully accessed the data stored on Farook's iPhone”.

The news that Cellebrite was helping the FBI was revealed on March 21, meaning that it seemingly took the Israeli company a week to hack the mobile.

http://www.thejc.com/news/world-news/155600/israeli-company-hacks-san-bernardino-terrorist%E2%80%99s-iphone
>>
File: 1441447131515.jpg (108 KB, 770x699) Image search: [Google]
1441447131515.jpg
108 KB, 770x699
>>
It was always only a matter of time imo.

Kind of like one day when somebody figures a way around public-key encryption, all of a sudden everything they've been recording all this time is busted wide open.
>>
Our greatest ally!
>>
>>69226404
Reminder that this is NOT a victory for the FBI. Don't let any bootlickers tell you otherwise.

>>69226618
10/10
>>
>>69226404

Apple caved and opened it on the down low
>>
>>69226618
kek why am i laughing so hard at this one
>>
File: masterrace.gif (1 MB, 400x222) Image search: [Google]
masterrace.gif
1 MB, 400x222
reminder
>>
Oops, Jews did it again...

> http://www.ma-gen .com/
>>
>>69226404
>The news that Cellebrite was helping the FBI was revealed on March 21, meaning that it seemingly took the Israeli company a week to hack the mobile.
they contacted Cellebrite 6/8 weeks ago
they read the data before that thanks to the NSA
the feds were trying to create a precedent by suing Apple, they caved
>>
>>69226831
lol nothing new, mossadim are werking for Is Ra HELL in the USA 24/7

oy

24/6

muh shabbath, goym
>>
>>69227227
thanks for your input
>>
>>69226663
we have a way around already. Quantum computers.

Too bad using them is still so expensive
>>
It's pretty easy to hack the phone if you have physical access to it.

The password is stored inside the phone (that's how it know if you typed the correct one in), so you just copy the entire os of the phone onto a virtual machine then you scan through the lines of assembly code until you get to the one that is checked whenever you try to type a password in. You then just overwrite that section with your own password like 12345 and hey presto you can log in to the phone with 12345.

It's not that hard to do, they sell commercial software that just requires you to plugs your phone into your computer and wait while it scans it, copies it, finds the password, changes it, and unlocks it.
>>
>>69227330
>we
?
>>
>>69226404
We be space now
>>
>>69227330
Wouldn't doubt it. But even if it really comes down to a matter of expense at present, it would kind of be an upset to start using it ways too obvious, so you'd expect the true extent would be largely kept under wraps as a matter of national security.
>>
>>69227419
Starting with versions of its operating system released in 2014 and later, Apple uses two factors to secure and decrypt data on the phone–the password the user chooses and a unique 256-bit AES secret key that’s embedded in the phone when it’s manufactured. The user’s password gets “tangled” with the secret key to create a passcode key that both secures and unlocks data on the device. When the user enters the correct password, the phone performs a calculation that combines these two codes, and if the result is the correct passcode, the device and data are unlocked.

To prevent someone from brute-forcing the password, the device has a user-enabled function that limits the number of guesses someone can try before the passcode key gets erased. Although the data remains on the device, it cannot be decrypted and therefore becomes permanently inaccessible. This happens after 10 failed guesses if a user has enabled the iPhone’s auto-erase feature

In addition to the auto-erase function, there’s another protection against brute force attacks: time delays. Each time a password is entered on the phone, it takes about 80 milliseconds for the system to process that password and determine if it’s correct. This helps prevent someone from quickly entering a new password to try again, because they can only guess a password every 80 milliseconds. Instead of being able to try hundreds or thousands of password guesses per second, the feds would only be able to try eight or nine per second.

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/fbi-drops-case-apple-finding-way-iphone/
>>
>>69226404
>Greatest ally
>>
>>69226618
ahhh the ever so rare laugh out loud.

how i have missed you.
>>
>>69227522
Parallel investigation is illegal (and immoral) as fuck, and the NSA doesn't seem to want to blow their wad on anything less than a drug kingpin. They got DPR with patience, and that's probably a better way 99% of the time.
>>
>>69226618
I don't get it.
>>
>>69227854
>illegal (and immoral)
A lot of people don't feel bound by traditional values.
>>
>>69226404
FBI already had what they wanted... Story is just made up to keep chain of evidence in a legitimate looking state. SOD OP
>>
>>69227506

Why don't you have a space program? Even Iran does.
>>
>>69226404
Imagine if the Brussel's plans were on the phone.
HAHAHA libertarians would be so butthurt
>>
>>69227988
Like due process? Or the government following the Constitution it was founded on?

Sure people disagree, but they are traitors if the federal government is employing them.
>>
>>69228272
>implying the constitution matters
>implying the bill of rights holds any weight
They'll take away your "rights" one by one and you will clap as they do so
>>
>>69228248
imagine all ISIS plans are on the phone and ISIS real leader's name DONALD J TRUMP is revealed
imagine all the secrets in the world are stored on the phone and you can access mariana with it cause it's the key
imagine ISIS is dumb enough to give all its plans to a suicide bomber and the FBI NSA know but don't do shit cause MUHH INSIDE JOB
>>
>>69228272
I agree. But that doesn't stop the existence of traitors, and I think we'd probably also agree that the government has been working on a pretty good track record of not playing by its own rules lately. And that's to say nothing of the people comprising the rest of the world.

I'd say we have very much a de facto rather than a du jure government these days.
>>
>>69228421
what they can't/couldn't do on the US soil, is done else where
>>
File: asm.png (334 KB, 1916x866) Image search: [Google]
asm.png
334 KB, 1916x866
>>69227571
I'll explain it in more detail to you, so you get it.

Code (OS) needs to be converted into Assembly (ARM CPU readable).

It looks like the attached picture, and is hardware readable by the processor of the phone.

You copy this hardware readable assembly code (which is the entire OS and all apps and data stored on the phone).

You create a virtual copy of the phone, with the hardware readable assembly language running in tandem with an emulator for the iphone on your PC. You attempt to log in to the virtual phone, and monitor which lines of assembly are queried by the processor, one line in particular will be the authentication check between the password you typed in and the real password of the phone.

It is possible to flash, delete, and overwrite the lines that deal with the old password, and put in a simple unencrypted password of your choosing. Now when you attempt to log in to your phone, the processor checks the same lines it normally did, but instead of finding the encrypted password it finds your dummy password and since you logged in with the dummy password it unlocks the phone.

You can always bypass encryption by simply querying the hardware, and it's sometimes a long process as finding the exact lines in assembly you need to overwrite is a question of some trial and error. You are working in a virtual emulated environment however, so you can reattempt this over and over.

You will never find the real password of course. But you don't need the real password, you just scan the processor in real time to find where the real password is stored and replace it with your own.

This technique is proven and works fairly well to decrypt any computer locked with a password and indeed any harddrive or protected device. Because if it can be unlocked, you can reduce it to assembly or even binary, test where the unlock verification check is made and simply overwrite that section.
>>
File: 1449004877322.jpg (406 KB, 709x648) Image search: [Google]
1449004877322.jpg
406 KB, 709x648
>>69228547
Little mad there frog calm down mate
>>
>>69228272
Parallel Construction W/ shady/illegal methods of obtaining the evidence
>>
>>69228690
>I'll explain it in more detail to you, so you get it.
please enlight me whith what I already know
>>
>>69228248
>wanting to create a back door that can be exploited by hackers on every single iphone.

why are authoritarians so stupid?
>>
>>69228701
thank you ahmed
>>
>>69228701
Post that one where he says people shouldn't be worried about the possible consequences of letting muslims into your country.
>>
>>69228584
If the government were still legitimate it wouldn't need to spy on its own people.
>>
The amount of retarded tech responses on here really makes me sad.

There was no govt mandated backdoor in iOS. If that were the case why did the CIA get caught trying to tamper with Xcode (which makes iOS apps) in order to inject spying malware on Apple users? However there no doubt exists exploits that the govt knows about but hasn't divulged to Apple so that they can be utilized by the NSA in order to bypass encryption. The baseband is a blackbox in itself but no company (Microsoft, Google or Apple would use such an OS if it could tap into the userspace).

Besides why did the FBI want to get into the phone? All forms of communication that left the device are subject to easily obtained warrants.

>but what about photos and video?

Stupid cucks if they cared about time sensitive materials this case would have started the day after they retrieved the phone from Farouk's home. Besides he and his wife and crazy good opsec and destroyed all their devices. So what does that mean about this phone? It means it had nothing on it, not that he didn't destroy it because it was county property.

The justice department wanted precedent and nothing else. Hell they likely retrieved nothing from the phone with the help of our greatest allies, but can't divulge that fact until 30 years later for fear of destroying public trust in the justice system.

This entire affair shows that the govt isn't our friends and that the people should be getting ready to abolish it and make a more perfect union. Sadly this case is also the only thing I disagreed with given that I am voting for trump.
>>
>>69227330
> implying cutting edge quantum computing is capable of more than counting to 11
>>
>>69228817
So if you knew about a hardware bypass by flashing the Assembly Code why did you quote my post?

You get that no software encryption can prevent this type of attack right? At some logical level the processor has to understand it's instruction set and if you overwrite the instructions that deal with unlocking the phone you've just walked around the gate without needing a key.
>>
>>69229002
>implying legitimacy matters when its about warfare
>implying you wouldn't spy the shit out of everyone if you were made God Emperor of these United States of America
>>
>>69226404
The PIN number is entangled with the device's 256-bit "UID", which itself is on-die in the SoC/CPU and NOT extractable without either being able to run code on the CPU, or decapping the SoC, reverse engineering its implementation, and extracting the UID, all from the SEM imagery.

The PIN number and the UID are fed to key derivation code for strengthening; the result of that process is used to actually perform encryption of the data on the NAND.

The weak point here is the PIN number; the FBI wanted Apple to just hand them an easy way to disable the "Delete after X amount of tries" lockout without having to go through all the trouble of manually extracting the flash image.

The Israeli company instead offered NAND mirroring where they can easily rewrite the memory contents back on the chip after brute forcing http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=5966
>This is where the NAND chip is typically desoldered, dumped into a file (likely by a chip reader/programmer, which is like a cd burner for chips), and then copied so that if the device begins to wipe or delay after five or ten tries, they can just re-write the original image back to the chip. This technique is kind of like cheating at Super Mario Bros. with a save-game, allowing you to play the same level over and over after you keep dying. Only instead of playing a game, they’re trying different pin combinations. It’s possible they’ve also made hardware modifications to their test devices to add a socket, allowing them to quickly switch chips out, or that they’re using hardware to simulate this chip so that they don’t have to.

It should be noted in the latest iOS devices you can't do this, as brute forcing is impossible with it's 'Trust Zone' chip holding the other part of the key but they can still fill your OS with malware ripping your data if you're actively using it (and not a dead terrorist).
>>
>>69227871
Jidf sliding threads.
>>
>>69229194
>The amount of retarded tech responses on here really makes me sad.
Like U...
>There was no govt mandated backdoor in iOS. If that were the case why did the CIA get caught trying to tamper with Xcode (which makes iOS apps) in order to inject spying malware on Apple users?
bc that's needed for spying remotely you fat dumb

>I am voting for trump.

good goy
>>
>>69229194
>Sadly this case is also the only thing I disagreed with given that I am voting for trump.
I would probably vote for Trump if he wasn't so pro-NSA.

>>69229387
I would pardon hundreds of terrible people that were convicted illegally, end domestic surveillance, and a lot more. Don't underestimate how much some of us Americans love freedom.
>>
>>69229342
You realize tangled passwords aren't a pass/fail check and that encryption relies on the specific password to decode the data, right? You're not passing a 1 to a check to open plaintext.

You're talking about replacing an account password on an unencrypted device, which is like '80s tier shit.
>>
>>69229640
I'm retarded.
>>
>>69226799
Fuck off anti statist scum.

I report people like you
>>
>>69229804
>backdoors can't be used for people in other countries
>misses the part where I talk about govt-discovered undisclosed exploits
>bashes trump
I know you have spaghetti for brains but at least keep up.

Hell why was the justice department lining up iPhone 3G and 3GS for investigation. Those devices and iPhone 4 are susceptible to bootrom exploits.

>>69230453
A cuck for the crown till death eh? I'm glad the bit of your empire is falling apart. This world has been put on to a better path when we separated from you.
>>
>>69230453
>literally crying to the government for help
Hahahahaha what a pussy
>>
>>69229396
The biggest benefit of this is that you can now clone the entire device and run parallel attacks with restricted libraries
>1 device, max 5 years
>2 devices with split libraries, 2.5 years max
>etc
I assumed that was the best play, but had reservations about extracting that enclave data.

Gg greatest ally, thanks for getting us those extra 20-30 days of imusic plays on a phone they didn't use or bother to destroy
>>
>>69230765
Jokes on you.

I love sharia because it shits all over freedom even harder
>>
>>69226812

This is my feeling also. I'm sure the Israelis are brilliant and decryption with all that American tax payer money going to Mossad, but the likelyhod they cracked in in a week is a lot less than apple just quietly doing it for them so they don;t fuck to the iPhone 7 / IOS 10 launch and kill profits.

We'll never really know.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.