[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Political discussion on the populist $15/hr min wage movement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 651x485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 651x485
I'm a chef at Wendy's and I only make $11.25/hr. A $15/hr min wage sounds pretty damn good to me. Will all the fallout the Republican establishment really happen if this is law?
>>
>>69176047
Wtf Wendy's pays it's chefs $11.25?!?!
>>
>>69176047
How hard is it to scoop fries?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 240x210
>>69177002
Chefs at Wendy's do so much more. A "fancy" restaurant only serves like 20 dishes.

A Wendy's chef prepares millions of combinations when you think about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 500x667
>>69177277
K op
>>
>>69177002
The argument isn't about the skill it takes to do the job. The argument is based in the fact that the current federal minimum wage is not compatible with the cost of living in many parts of the United States.
Minimum wage jobs aren't held by teenagers who live with their parents anymore. Especially after the recession started, many people have to provide for their families with minimum wage jobs.
>>
>>69176047
>chef
>works at Wendy's
>$11.25 >chef

I would like to think a chef would work at an actual restaurant instead of flipping burgers
Hopefully you're just trying to get an employment history before going somewhere reputable. Not trying to demean you, not at all, I too like to cook. I made some awesome Caesar chicken bacon taco salads the other night
Even the kids loved them. I should've took a pic. Mine had Hungarian peppers too yum.
>>
>>69177277
confirmed for someone who has never worked in a restaurant. I wash the dish boy, and I could see how crazy things get during rush times.
>>
>>69177886
The jobs themselves don't bring $15 worth of value to the company, nor do people need to be paid when the labor market is as competitive as it is at the unskilled level.
>>
>>69178091
Did you miss the first sentence of my post?
>>
>>69177906
Yeah but you know people don't respect "fast food" because most people don't even try. I make a burger that looks EXACTLY like the commercial, people respect that.
>>
Minimum wage should be adjusted to inflation to represent what it was original meant to represent 7.25 an hour. I think that's fair. 15 seems high for everyone especially to smaller towns where the cost of living may be much lower.
>>
>>69178535
Yes, but magically waving away an argument because it's inconvenient is stupid.

You shouldn't be supporting a family on a minimum wage job. You shouldn't have kids you cannot afford. It is possible to live on minimum wage as a single person or as a couple with someone else on minimum if you live frugally. People living outside their means is not a proper reason why they should absolutely fuck the economy.

>b-but Australia
Look up price indexes. Our minimum gets you less purchasing power than the US minimum.
>>
Prices will rise. Australia and Seattle serve as examples.

Your problems are inflation and rent. Rent simply costs too fucking much. Raising the minimum wage will solve nothing without addressing the underlying problems.

These problems will never be addressed. Minimum wage laws will be passed and make things worse. Either find a way out or learn to live with less.
>>
>>69178091
Fact is that people have to live. Either they get a job, they live off of the government, they steal, or a mix of the above. A job paying below a living wage is a business having a remainder of worker benefits paid by the government.

The attempt to establish a living wage is one to reduce the size of government and role of welfare while increasing purchasing power of the individual. The burden then falls on business to become more efficient. People will say that they can't afford to hire someone at an increased wage, but a business will hire whoever it needs to do the work it needs done; anything else is due to nepotism or incompetence.
>>
>>69176047
The increased cost of other goods and services will eventually negate your wage increase. It may seem great for a while, but the free market will adjust and you will be back to where you started. Increased minimum wage does not solve the issue of people trying to make a fucking living working at Wendy's.
>>
File: 1458100146311.jpg (32 KB, 358x511) Image search: [Google]
1458100146311.jpg
32 KB, 358x511
>>69176047
If I have to do 2 hours of homework every night and an employer gives me a chair, a light, and a desk, and he just asks me to reset bowling pins 2x an hour when they get stuck

why does the liberal ban this arrangement?

Do you have any idea how many opportunities have been eliminated by your state worship of state issued currency like its the only thing that has value?

Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>69176047
Reminder that Lincoln was going to send the slaves back to Africa but was assassinated.

Literally all of America's problems would be non-existant if not for the stupidity of John Cucks Booth.
>>
>>69179113
You don't get it though. Increasing the minimum wage will cause a fucktonne more unemployment, as positions that aren't worth $15 will simply be cut, and those that are left will be much more difficult. This will lead to more welfare be given out anyway, as instead of people being underempoyed and taking lesser welfare, we'll have lots more full unemployed. The current minimum wage positions were never meant to be jobs that people should support a family off - if anything, they're meant to be supplementing another source of income, such as parental support for young kids.

>The burden then falls on business to become more efficient.
They will, by shutting down and making a bunch of people unemployed.
>>
>>69178008
Wow, he must get pretty dirty for your job to be washing him.

Who washes you?
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 956x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 956x736
>>69179127
Ok explain this to me - people at Wendy's work hard, for whatever reason others do a worse job at the fucking 20 other major fast food joints.

They go out of business, i move up?
>>
>>69179610
>There are people that don't agree with this
>>
>>69178719
I applaud you for that,actually caring about the products you make
I don't eat at many fast food places because of the garbage they put in it , and lol, it never looks like on the menu, but I do eat at Wendy's, Hardee's, Arby's
You must be doing something right because compared to around here, at fast food places you are making a better wage than most managers.
Keep it up, especially if you like it, that counts more than a wage.
>>
>>69176883

>Chefs

Chef is French for chief. It is reserved for the head of the kitchen. Everyone else is a cook.

But fast food places aren't kitchens, so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>69179737
>I wash the dish boy

Lol good catch
That would be weird to say the least
>>
Raise the minimum wage and landlords will raise the rents on studios and one bedrooms.
>>
>>69177002
Hard enough for you to pay other people to do it
>>
File: laughing_men_cigar.jpg (203 KB, 1357x925) Image search: [Google]
laughing_men_cigar.jpg
203 KB, 1357x925
>>69176047
>"chef"
>making a career out of wendy's
>>
If your employer is exploiting you, quit

It's a free country
>>
>>69179927
Honestly, I think the only thing holding a lot of large scale burger joints down is that all patties are well-done. I'll happily cook a medium-rare like a pro
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 658x917) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 658x917
>>69176047
Pic related
>>
>>69179610
All you're advocating is the expansion of government to keep afloat failing businesses. Minimum wage positions are never hand outs for students, they're minimum wage because that's the lowest they're allowed to pay; who they will support never came into the equation when the position was created. Part-time positions are similar, they're largely done out of necessity to avoid giving benefits.

If a business can't be successful without the government feeding and housing their employees then a business isn't successful to begin with.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
>>69177002
Apparently as hard as it is to give someone emergency medical attention
>>
>>69176047
When it comes to the $15 minimum wage
I'm 43, and as I was 16 I was working clean up at slaughterhouse for $4hour, while looking at job postings on the wall for $9 an hour.
Fast forward 20 +years (damn I'm old) those same jobs start at about a dollar more today per hour. This as my town has been filling up with illegal aliens.
Take that into consideration, what would wages be like without the influx of illegals. I've looked for charts to show my kids, but can't find any.
Maybe that could be a new thread.
>>
Serious question for everyone regardless where you live:

If we had to pick between the two would you rather have a higher minimum wage or a lower cost of living (ie., a threshold)?
Why?
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 640x640
>>69178804
Muh fair wages, muh lack of jobs, muh own damn fault, muhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>69178898
I'm not arguing for anything because I don't know if the minimum wage should be increased or not. I was just explaining the basis of the argument, which seems often to be misunderstood.

But many people don't plan on having to take a minimum wage job. This is a movement that was born out of the recession. Plenty of people were making decent middle class wages but lost those jobs and had to support families on minimum wage. So the "don't start what you can't afford" argument doesn't account for life's uncertainties.

Furthermore, many minimum wage jobs aren't born out of a company's inability to pay that wage, but because the unskilled labor market in the U.S. is so large that competition doesn't demand higher wages.
However, you could say that they should simply become skilled if they don't want unskilled wages. Well, not everyone has the time to take up getting an education or the wealth to pay for one.
And not everyone who takes these jobs are "unskilled." Many are educated and trained people who can't get a job because of the leaking job market.
So, while its easy to say "don't have kids you can't afford," you effectively are creating an entire class of people who don't have the right to start a family based on factors that may be no fault of their own.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 400x398
>>69181254
At the end of the day. We need to put a cap on wealth. No more than 1 billion usd. The the people at the top are forced to spend and thus it rains shekels upon the goys
>>
>>69179756
I'm not really sure what you're asking. The businesses will simply raise prices to cover the increased wage, or move towards replacing humans with technology. They already operate with as few employees as possible to keep costs down. But yes, in theory a poorly run business should fail while successful ones take their place. You will only personally move up if you show value to them as a manager, since that's the next step in fast food.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 500x627
>>69181393
Exactly why we need Trump to deport them and end H1-B
>>
>>69181393
You don't have a right to start a family, you never have. If you want a family you have to sacrifice for it.
>>
>>69181707
>this fuckin meme

spending doesn't create wealth, you have to save it up so it can be invested

>let's just undermine capitalism and see what happens

kill yourself
>>
>>69181352

Usually where I live these self checkouts are almost ALWAYS """ down """
>>
Well at least you're admitting that you want the minimum wage for selfish reasons. Now if every minimum wage advocate would be just as honest as you, we could have a real conversation about this.
>>
File: image.jpg (470 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
470 KB, 1536x2048
>>69176047
>chef
>Wendy's

God damn, I love /pol/
>>
>>69181000
you're advocating the expansion of government to keep afloat failing lifestyles

btw, working at MacDonald for a few months while in school or to get a car or whatever is totally OK.. that's what that job is for
>>
>>69181254
Cost of living Always goes up, never down.
Wages can stagnate and have
Prices always go up while taxes always increase too
I think it would depend on the city or state one lived in, California or New York for example, I could never afford to live in with my wages and wife is a RN
To answer your question, I think a lower threshold would be better that way someone who is trying to support a pregnant wife or newborn kid could afford their bills and have stay at home wife, at least for a year or two,and not worry about making bills
>>
>>69177886
All the statistics that say that typically account for 2 bedroom apartments (the costs of which happen to halve if you get a roommate or partner with supplementary income)

Besides that stop living in a city of 1,000,000+ people and maybe your cost of living will drop you entitled baby.
>>
>>69181254
a lower cost of living would be way more efficient
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 337x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 337x253
>>69182041
Hey, capitalism is archaic economic system. What really matters is how much you play a part in the development, advancement and security of your homeland. Capitalism has been shown to be prone to manipulation by Jews, Democrats and Hillary Clinton. Time to come up with something more productive and less prone to getting up trapped in endless amounts of debt because we put a new asshole in office every 4-8 years just so they can fuck up what the last one did and create more of their own brand of bullshit.

Grow up ya damn sorry ape.
>>
>>69181876
A lot of people don't plan on it and even use protection
My first kid, wife on pill and I used a condom every time
Boom you're a dad
Man up and adhere to your responsibilities
Is what I had to do, I'm sure it worked that way for a lot of people
If you run around playing 'poke and hope' , good luck, and don't let the taxpayers foot the bill for your fuck up
>>
>>69182454
>failing lifestyles

Scroll down to the data sources in http://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about for a list of what they use as a "living wage".
>USDA’s low-cost food plan.
>rental housing
>lowest cost child care
>clothing, personal care items, and housekeeping supplies.

There's nothing about these lifestyles that's extreme or the cause of poverty, when I talk about a living wage I'm talking about a reasonable amount of money needed for someone to live.

>That's what that job is for
Again, that job is for whoever will fill it.
>>
>holy shit i cant believe flipping burgers doesnt allow me to live in a large uptown apartment with a <2 year old car
>>
>>69176047
You make more than minimum wage now.
You will be making minimum wage after this 'raise'.
Your actual PURCHASING POWER just dropped.
You just got a fucking pay cut and you're too stupid to even know this.
>>
>>69183102
Here's a big hint, you wife was lying about the pill and that kid isn't yours.
>>
>>69182621
Yeah sure move to the country where there is literally zero job growth
My dad lives in a small town, only about a dozen jobs available for underuducated people
Inb4 >go to university, there are none around there for over a hundred miles. small Iowa town
Lived there for 6th grade
Step brother feeling the burden of that now, depressing
>>
>>69184145
Lol
You're full of shit, pill isn't always effective retard
And kid is almost identical to me dumbass
Tall and mean too
Just because your kids don't look at all like you doesn't mean they're not yours(wink wink)
>>
>>69184307
I didn't say move to bumfuck nowhere, I said somewhere that's not 1mil+.

My hometown's 70k population and working minimum wage (9.47/hr) you can easily afford an old shitty apartment in town and money to blow. Public transport is $15 a month and can get you anywhere in the city (or within a mile of it)

Yeah the problem is you might have to put in some actual effort to find a place like that. If that's too much for you I understand why you're working minimum wage.
>>
>>69183102
I'm not saying people can't have kids or they're not allowed to. But there is no right to.
>>69184145
Looking at the CDC, typical use of the pill and a condom together gives you a 2/125 chance of pregnancy.
>>
>>69184145
Shows what you know about sex and genetics
Retard
Bet your dick looks like a bicycle grip from your 'self love tactics'
>>
File: image.jpg (674 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
674 KB, 2592x1936
>>69178719
>>
>>69185017
409k here in Omaha
Been watching wages almost stagnate for 20 years for unskilled labor
> million plus my ass
But yeah, a lot of opportunity here if educated
For now
>>
>>69179348
>Do you have any idea how many opportunities have been eliminated by your state worship of state issued currency like its the only thing that has value?
it's crazy. we could easily have 100% employment if government just fucked off and let employers and employees come to an agreement
>>
>>69180616
Dont be such a dick. If you work hard and actually better yourself it entirely possible to make a career at Wendy's.

Its become manager > go to school > corporate regional manager > keep going up.

Wendy's is a huge company that obviously makes something that people like.
>>
>>69185017
Question
What would estimate the illegal alien population in your town/city

Makes a big difference
>>
>>69185988
It's in Eastern Washington so there's a huge number but they're all pretty much confined to agriculture.

Agriculture industry is a huge advantage over here because it eases the burden on more typical minimum-wage jobs.
>>
>>69185017
Never said I was working for minimum wage
Not since high school

Work for a contractor delivering appliances to mostly wives at home while husband is working
The shit I've seen is unbelievable even to me
I can't believe she showed me her tits because she didn't have money for a tip
I think she wanted both of our tips ,me and boss
>>
>>69186373
Midwest here
Meat packing started bringing them here in the 80's
Fucking everywhere now
>>
>>69176047
Go back to /b/, faggot. Nobody cares about your shit job at Wendy's.
>>
>>69181352
I love these things. You mean I don't have some crusty sick old woman or some teen who probably hasn't washed there hands in three days handle my food?? Fuck it i'll wait to use one.
>>
>>69186466
How many separate times are you going to post in this thread? Do you know how to use this site, grandpa?

I was gonna respond to the topic but I got distracted by all of these posts. Do people get dumber as they age or something?
>>
>>69176047
Listen I'm sure you worked hard and that's why you make that that much and if you keep working at it you can get a better job that pays more. Instead of expecting the government to force business to pay you that amount.
>>
>>69187026
>grandpa
Might b your granddaddy> used to drive truck semi
>comment multiple times
It's called a discussion
Thanks for your input
>>
File: 1375626680315.jpg (444 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1375626680315.jpg
444 KB, 640x960
>>69176047
>i'm a chef at Wendy's and I only make $11.25/hr
>chef
>wendy's
you're the kitchen manager? ok, i could believe that.
>11.25/hr
>not 'salary' with 'chinese overtime' that equates to working 50 hours minimum at 8.50 an hour for all 50 hours
LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.