[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friendly reminder that john oliver's "expose"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-03-28-14-32-47.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-28-14-32-47.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Friendly reminder that john oliver's "expose" of Trump is utter horseshit

Literally every thread that has mentioned John Oliver has been brigaded heavily. I imagine that all the bern victims have it set in their filters to find anything and everything related to their nu-male savior.

So despite the fact that this comedian created a completely biased attack against Donald Trump, wildly based in opinion, with some facts strewn between comedy, the bern victims are calling for sources on literally every single nitpicking detail. I imagine that because they got a check-plus on a recent essay in gender studies, they think that they are bona fide reporters, and literally jizz over any source that provides them with the reality they want. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to discredit the validity of a comedian as though it were a scientific paper, but since this is apparently a source of news to the left, I guess it’ll have to be done.

So here is the minute by minute, note by note discrediting of John Oliver’s sad attempt at becoming relevant in politics.

For those who want to follow along, I’m startin at 2 minutes in on the video, since the first two minutes are basically just tame set up.

Going Over The Qualities That Makes Trump Appealing

Already we are in an eyeroll with citing Politifact as unbiased evidence. For those who might be new here and have gotten literally every fact you’ve heard in the last year or so from this website, you might be surprised to hear that it is not the bastion of truth that the left claims it to be.

So let me break down some of the biases they’ve shown. To start,Politifact is a project of theTampa Bay Times, which is a“usually liberal “paper. It has beencriticized heavily by many as an unreliable source, and has even gathered such a following against it that someone actually has tried to make anunbiased version.This post goes into discussion and examples against the neutrality of Politifact.
>>
Nigga shut the fuck up
Trump is a fuccboi but working-class Americans have been so raped by free trade they are willing to deluxe themselves past his bullshit. Don't try to make Trump seem any better than he is.
>>
>>69132004
Nitpicking alone is something that can cause an overwhelming number of false statements.

Apparently Jokes Are Lies

John goes into anecdotal evidence of Trump’s apparent propensity of lying by citing tweets that Trump has made. The second tweet shown, that says “I never attacked dopey Jon Stewart for his phony last name. Would never do that”. It’s a joke. He’s shitposting, just like he does all day every day. He attacked Jon Stewart’s name in the same 140 character limit that says he isn’t doing such a thing. He’s being funny.

He said / he said

Here John Oliver goes on to say that Trump lied by saying that he never invited Trump onto his show, claiming “why would he lie about such a thing”? Well, I shouldn’t have to point out that the only source on this is John Oliver himself. He’s trying to make Trump look bad, of course he’ll claim such things. Oliver actually has more reason to lie about not-inviting Trump than Trump did to tweet claiming he didn’t want to do the show. So, honestly, this is so minor a case against Trump that anyone who thinks this is an issue in the presidential election should just kill themselves.

We have about a minute of jokes and he said / he said here

Campaign Financing

Here Oliver goes into trying to discredit his financing of his campaign. “I’m rich, therefore I tell the truth”. The clip provided was edited to just show Trump saying that he’s spent money, and tells the truth, whenin reality he was posed a question of whether or not he lies, and therefore was saying that he doesn’t lie unlike other candidates who are shills for corporations and lie on their behalf. Surprise, surprise, editing makes Trump look bad. Watch more of the interview to get the full context. Oliver makes a joke that’s based on the editing itself.

Saying He’s Not Self Financing Is Retarded
>>
>>69132004

>John Oliver
>"trump moar liek drumpf amirite?"

Literally

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vveb-29tOSg
>>
>>69132881
Oliver explains why Trump actuallyhasn’tspent $25 million dollars on his campaign, and instead has loaned the money to his campaign. Okay, so basically what this means is that Trump can get money back from his campaign based on what he has left right up until the GOP convention. Oliver is suggesting that Trump has simply “put money up front” and will snatch it back when he can. The only evidence to this whatsoever is Oliver saying it, so I think the fact that Trump has literally said every 30 seconds that he is self funding his campaign holds a bit more credence than John Oliver claiming that he is trying to pull a fast one by loaning the money.This has been reported on several timesover amonth ago, with no hubbub over it, even though those came out several months afterthe articleOliver was referring to. Giving a loan to his campaign allows him to take back the money whenever he wants becauseIt’s a lot of fucking money. Side note, that article Oliver referenced literally lays out how Trump has actually been making money by running for president, which is fucking badass.

Doing A Better Job Than Bernie Without Trying

Oliver claims that Trump’s story of getting money sent in the mail by a woman is false,though Trump has actually shown video of all the mail he

he gets from fans, so it is entirely possible.

Oliver claims next that if he didn’t want the campaign contributions he shouldn’t have had donate buttons on his website. He has never told people to go out and donate for him, unlike Bernie who does so in every concession speech. The fact that amongst all the information there is out there, the only evidence of Trump wanting money from people is donation buttons that he has never advertised, suggests that he really isn’t trying to fund his campaign with those donations.
>>
>>69133110
he gets from fans, so it is entirely possible.

Oliver claims next that if he didn’t want the campaign contributions he shouldn’t have had donate buttons on his website. He has never told people to go out and donate for him, unlike Bernie who does so in every concession speech. The fact that amongst all the information there is out there, the only evidence of Trump wanting money from people is donation buttons that he has never advertised, suggests that he really isn’t trying to fund his campaign with those donations. Instead, it shows that even though Trump has told people “I don’t need your money”, people have sent him money in support. But for god’s sake, Trump’s raised$6 million for veterans this election cycle. And he did so in 24 hours. It’s clear that he’s not trying to scam people out of every penny they can donate unlike some candidates.

Apparently Lawsuits Are Never Necessary

Here Oliver says that Trump likes to “threaten” lawsuits against people. This is true, but this isn’t saying the fact that he also follows through on a ton of lawsuits as well. like one that wassettled recently against Univision, oranother one in which he filed a lawsuit so that he could have a huge American Flag. He’s a billionaire. He’s a billionaire with his name all over his company. Of course he’s going to threaten to sue people for libel. He throws his big swinging money dick around as a big fuck you all the time,like that time he accepted Bill Maher’s ‘joke’ offer of $5 million to prove he isn’t an orangutan. He always gets the last laugh.

How Dare He Compliment Himself

Oliver continues to ‘attack’ Trump for saying he is successful, when he is. I’m not sure John Oliver understand what it means to run for president, but it means to pitch yourself as best you can. It’s really not debatable that Trump
>>
>>69133343
is a success at this point. If you don’t think so, you’re retarded, and he’s leading the polls.

Next, he finds a clip of Trump ‘flubbing’ by claiming to have a large vocabulary and not using it. This is classic Daily Show level cherry picking. You could find a clip in which anyone said something ridiculous like this. It’s a flub, not a definitive comment on his overall character.

>Muh Debt

Here we get into the finances of Donald Trump, and Oliver’s incredulous stance on it (see retarded comment above). So let’s start with his father.His father died in 1999. At the time his net worth was between $250 and $300 million dollars.Donald had created his own fortune at that point(Article is from 2005 to try and get rid of bias the POTUS race has caused, but see the timeline to get an idea of an estimation of debt). The truth is, no one will ever know the exact amount that Trump was worth in the past now, because there are so many wild speculations at this point. What can’t be debated is that Donald broke into the Manhattan real estate market when his father was only working in the outer boroughs, and made a fortune doing so. The debate about how much is somewhat irrelevant if we’re just talking about “is he a success?”.

Oliver then tries to equate the bankruptcies of 2008 with the story Ivanka tells about her father. Except that the video of Ivanka is from 2003, and the story she is telling is from some time earlier. The bankruptcies that predated the crash of 2008 have nothing to do with this story by Ivanka, but whatever, John Oliver said it right?
>>
>>69133664
Now we have the story from Ivanka. She’s obviously smart, and future empress of the world. But she is 22 in this video. And she is recalling an anecdote from many years before. Not exactly a solid piece of evidence in a claim against a multi-billion dollar corporation. Ivanka claims that Trump was $8 billion in debt at one point. This is a ridiculous number, one that isn’t verified as true even by hismost vicious of opposition. She may be remembering it incorrectly, and instead meant $8 million. People associate having debt with not being a success, but understand that debt doesn’t necessarily represent the solvency of a person. If that were the case, nearly every person who takes out a mortgage would be considered unsuccessful. But even if we think “wow, Trump was $8 million in the hole at one point”, he’s worth billions now. Pretty successful if you ask me.
Let’s Argue About How Many Billions This Guy Has. That’ll Show He’s Unsuccessful

Oliver now joins the debate of “how much is Donald Trump really worth right now”? There have been so many people who have written about this, with wild numbers everywhere. Trump has claimed to be worth $10 billion, it’s true. Some have argued that he took into account hisbrand as a portion of his net worth, or perhaps over valuing his real estate properties. The conservative, “generally-considered-correct-it-shows-up-on-google” answer is $4 billion. Oliver doesn’t point to this figure though. Instead, he points to the “so-libelous-it’s-actually-suable” answer of a few hundred million, suggesting that since this is an answer that Trump doesn’t like (along with tying the “massive debt” from just a minute prior to this) that this is the correct answer. The amount that he sued for is again, hilarious, and just a slap in the face.
>>
>>69133796
Oliver then tries to say that Trump basically just decides what he’s worth based on his feelings. If you read theexcerpts of the deposition however(the section titled “On calculating his own net worth), you can see that he says plainly that his net worth is based on the market, and feelings, including his own.

“My net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with the markets and with attitudes and with feelings, even my own feelings”

As in, it’s worth whatever the market thinks it’s worth. The market is people’s feelings. Including Trump’s. Again, this is a cherry picked moment that Oliver is basing an overarching argument of “this man cannot be president”. He’s basing it on a clip here, a clip there, a memory here, a snippet there. Anyone could do this with someone to prove that they aren’t suited for their job, like say,cherry picking all the time’s a tier 3 comedian reminds us of the year.

Pfft What’s The Trump Brand Anyway?

I already linked the brand thing, but John Oliver basically claims that “no, it’s not worth that much”. This is up for debate on how much it is worth, along with his net worth. But again, if the claim is “donald trump is successful”, and we’re just arguing about how many billions of dollars he’s worth, I think it’s clear that that’s already been decided.

Oliver goes on to call out all the failed products that Trump has had in the past. But if we only judged companies by things thatdidn’t work out, no company would ever be successful. Oliver goes on to claim that Trump didn’t have financial prowess by starting a mortgage company right before the the housing market crash, but does not state that the housing crash was something that was so hard to spot that people who wanted to
>>
>>69133910
short the market literally had to create the short in order to make money on it). If Oliver is claiming that not knowing about the the housing crash in 2006 was grounds for being called a terrible businessman, then he also is disparaging literally everyone else.

Wait I Thought The Brand Wasn’t Worth Much?

Oliver goes on to talk about the brand of Trump again, mentioning the fact that he licenses his name to buildings (I thought that brand name was worthless John?). But Oliver suggests that Trump isn’t a builder, by pointing out a building where his worthless brand name has been making him money at no cost, instead of mentioning thelarge portfolio of real estate holdings that the Trump Organization has built. Oliver disparages trump by claiming that his worthless brand is making him money on a building, and that Trump likes that it is easier. I don’t really understand how this is an insult. He’s able to extend his brand further and add more to his real estate portfolio by doing nothing. I see that only as efficiency. Keep your argument straight John.

These Investors Are Not Babies

Oliver starts to bring in the sob story by trying to unravel the Trump brand’s association with quality next. The sales video that Oliver shows cleverly mentions how Trump is proud of the fact that when he builds he has people follow him. But he never said “yeah, I built this”. Yet the next argument Oliver makes is that “Yeah, Trump didn’t build this”. It’s subtle, but he’s trying to display dishonesty in Trump by editing dishonestly. We see an investor who was “swindled” out of his money. Alright folks here’s the deal, investment is risk. You might lose all your money when you invest. If you can’t afford to lose money you’re investing in, guess what, you shouldn’t be investing. So even though Last Week Tonight is shuffling out the sad looking man, know that while unfortunate, it isn’t something evil that occurred.
>>
>>69134153
Let’s also be sure to recognize that this occurred in 2008, after the housing crash. Guess what, a lot of investors lost money. The fact that real estate was failing in 2008 was not Trump’s fault.

The Housing Market Caused Some Problems Believe It Or Not

Donald Jr. is being deposed, for a condo that they pulled their name off of after the housing crash, and is asked by a lawyer if he thought the Trump name meant stability. He is being deposed. He is trying to defend his case. If he said “yes, it brings stability”. that could lead to possible negligence charges, or other issues. I imagine no real estate developer would be talking about stability in 2008.

Still More Crash Stuff

Oliver brings up Trump tower tampa next, immediately suggesting that this, once again is solely the fault of Donald Trump, by saying that he “characteristically deflected blame”. Doesn’t talk about if the developers areactuallyat fault, because Trump is an idiot right? And most importantly, also doesn’t bring up, like the previous property,that construction began in 2007), at the beginning of the crash. Once again, not Trump’s fault that a property failed because real estate was in freefall.

Oliver takes another cherry-picked quote from Trump about settling lawsuits, then stating dryly that these two cases were settled. Is Trump suggesting that he wouldneversettle a lawsuit? “When I get suits I take them all the way. You know what happens if you settle suits, you get sued more. I don’t settle anything, I don’t settle”. Well, this seems to me like he’s saying “I try my hardest not to settle”, much in the same way someone might say “I don’t get sick”
>>
>>69134278
Does that mean he is a total liar because he had a cold 3 years ago? (This argument is just cherry picked but honestly my retaliation of explaining how plainspoken language works and then following up with a final “how the fuck did that connection get made” punchline is exactly what Last Week Tonight does).

Wait So Is The Brand Good Or Bad?

Oliver is now literally backtracking over the fact that he previously made fun of Trump’s brand and is now saying itissynonymous with success.He then goes on to say “we need to look at the man not the mascot”, after spending 15 minutes picking out sound bites instead of suggesting a longer format for his ideas. Spoiler, you’re not going to learn much about someone if it’s translated through an androgynous english comedian with snippets of things they said off the cuff here and there.

”Flip-flopping” But Not Really

Oliver just said Cruz was okay so…. that’s interesting. He’s even bringing up a Cruzite argument of the flip-flopping Trump. He provides no sources of when and where Trump said certain things, so I had to do some digging.On the Syrian Refugee Crisis, when he said we should takesomein, he said “I hate the concept of it, but on a humanitarian basis, you have to… This was started by President Obama when he didn't go in and do the job he should have when he drew the line in the sand, which turned out to be a very artificial line”. Much like his stance on eminent domain where he said “I don’t love it, but we need it”. But flip-flopping can occur for a few reasons. Like maybe,a terrorist attack on home soil. I can imagine that some people changed their mind on Syrian Refugees after that. On abortion,he has claimed that he changed his opinion many years ago(and what sane human beingeverchanges their political opinion of the years). On assault weapon bans,
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.