[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Middle-class Americans 'no longer majority'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Workers.jpg (597 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
Workers.jpg
597 KB, 849x565
Middle-class Americans are now outnumbered by those above and below them and are "falling behind financially," according to a new analysis of government data by the Pew Research Center.

> The beginning of 2015 saw 120.8 million adults living in middle-income homes, compared with 121.3 million Americans living in lower- and upper-income households, a significant shift that "could signal a tipping point."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/10/middle-class-americans-no-longer-majority.html
>>
I made 30k last year and technically that is middle class even though I feel very poor
>>
I love how these articles never define what qualifies as middle/upper class or whatever
>>
>>69125145
>$30k

Is that legal? What do you do? Holy shit.
>>
What these screwball articles fail to mention is that over half the mobility is upward. The new income distribution is a lopsided hourglass, not a single Bell curve.
>>
"The report defines middle-income homes as "those with an income that is 67 percent to 200 percent ... of the overall median household income, after incomes have been adjusted for household size.""

median household income is about $58K? by that metric, households making $120K are upper class. I'd consider them middle to upper-middle depending on their lifestyle.
>>
>>69126216
Idk why but i always thought that $250k ish was the entrance point to upper middle class in the US.
>>
>>69125413
THIS THIS THIS
>>
>>69127004
How would you define the middle class in USA?
>>
>2016
>having a job

Kek, I get 1,050 for disability
>>
>>69127155
>>69127155
I would define middle class as someone who can afford their mortgage, bills, aren't in debt, and are not struggling to get by. Basically, their quality of living.

You can make 300k a year and struggle to pay your mortgage and be in debt. That isn't middle class living. Classes shouldn't really be based on income, but on the quality of life.
>>
Why does the fella on the left have his bucket on backwards?
>>
>>69127638
What about upper middle class?
>>
>>69128713
The same as middle class but are able to afford more luxuries.

Upper class would be the same as middle and upper middle but would have more luxuries and disposable income.

But again, that's my definition. I don't think there's an actual definition of classes.
>>
>>69127256
A month?
>>
>>69129106
Could one say that Americans have become more financially irresponsible?
>>
>>69129242
Oh fuck yes. Millennials and Baby Boomers fucking suck at saving money and don't think things out in long-term when it comes to their money.

Everyone buys useless and worthless shit with money they DON'T have and they become surprised when they go negative in their bank account. America as a whole is bad with being financial responsible. Just look at our debt
>>
File: 1401232092208.jpg (91 KB, 281x245) Image search: [Google]
1401232092208.jpg
91 KB, 281x245
>>69124996
>whites quickly becoming a minority
>middle class quickly disappearing
Only whites care about being self improvement. Shitskins are completely fine living in favelas.
>>
>>69129534
It's not because people just go out and buy stupid shit. Literally everyone i know that went to college is in huge debt and cant find a job, that's a huge part of it all over the country.
>>
>>69129845
College debt shouldn't exist. Scholarships are everywhere if you have a 3.0 and are willing to move your ass.
>>
>>69125561
Depending on your situation and where you live that 30k isn't terrible in the US. If youre living in flyover country and don't have any children you can comfortably on that. I used to save money living on less.
>>
>>69127155
Can afford to own a house and a car and a family
>>
>>69125767
Source?
>>
File: 1459123147147.png (291 KB, 640x574) Image search: [Google]
1459123147147.png
291 KB, 640x574
Sanitation engineer here and i make 90k a year with 40k inheritance coming in about 5 years. Feels good having 70 acres in texas as well to tell retire.
>>
>>69131809
Also fuck cancuck IT workers.
>>
>>69128713
Bigger house, luxury brand car.
4 or 5 bedrooms with as many bathrooms, a big yard and a Cadillac or BMW (or a new model 3/4 ton pickup if they live out in the country, unless they use it for their actual job).
>>
>>69130961
$30k a year in Arizona is pretty alright living. Definitely isn't the best thing ever but you can live in a not shitty part of town away from the shitbag spics and buy a halfway decent car and to go out occassionally and stuff. At $40k a year, North Phoenix really starts to shine.
>>
>>69130269
Not if you grew up middle class, my parents couldn't afford to pay for my college but they made enough that I don't qualify for much in the way of gibsmedats. A 3.0 is nothing out of high school, you have to be exceptional to get college money if you're white and middle class.
>>
>>69132365
I was saving money when I was making 24k a year in jackson michigan. I was renting a HOUSE with my gf and we were only paying $500 a month rent
>>
If the middle class disappears America will turn into a total cesspit.The rich will live in gated communities while everyone else tries to survive in decaying and dangerous cities.
>>
Working class = must work to get by

Middle class = ability to hire other people and delegate work (capital accumulation and scalability)

Upper class = able to live comfortably from revenue-generating properties (1M+ net worth)
>>
>>69126216
Mean household income in the US was $72,641 vs. a median of $51,939 (US Census Bureau) in 2014.

>>69130269
Unless you have great grades relative to your life experience you will not get a full ride at most schools with middle class income.

>>69132530
>jackson MI
ayyy
I used to work (software consulting) at Consumer's Energy. i'd drive an hour from Ann arbor and back every day. I never strayed more than two blocks from the Consumer's building on advice from the locals.
>>
This is pew research, easily the most reliable statistics available.
Just remember that these are the guys who make the mulsim statistics we love so dearly. Go read the source, im sure it will have all the info thry neglect to show you on cnbc
>>
>>69133379
>>69133408
Can you elaborate on this in relations to the free market? With the OP article in mind.
>>
>>69126216

>120k household
In terms of lifestyle quality, that's center-lower middle class in the modern day.
>>
>>69125561
50% of Americans make 30k or less. But on 4chan everyone makes at least 100k and has a dick no less 10 inches long.
>>
>have to put upper and lower class together to equal more than middle class
>>
>>69124996
I earn $64k and can barely make it, renting a shitty 1bd apartment and having 0 credits on me.
If that's how middle class lives, I feel sorry for America
>>
>>69133781

Middle class people can compete with upper class people.

We're creating a system where barriers to entry are too high for working class people to move up and start their own business.

It's not healthy. A free market should prune the unfit businesses. Instead, we're accumulating bad blood without regular 'purging.' It will make us less competitive internationally.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.