[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do millennials major in useless subjects like History, English,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 10
File: maxresdefault.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
Why do millennials major in useless subjects like History, English, or Art?
>>
>>69107738
I have an Bachelor of Arts, major in English lit. Ask me anything.
>>
>>69108365
Is modern art as useless as people would have you believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ez-gIt08I
>>
>>69108365
How much do you make a year and how much do you owe in student debt

How many people are in your position

Do you regret, or see better ways to make money?
Does following a subject your passionate about trump following a major you're good at?
>>
>>69107738
Millienials are short-sighted, instant-gratification, lazy cunts, so such subjects appear as the easy option, compared to STEM, yet in the long-term it just fucks them.
>>
trips decide what trade school and trade I take

fuck college, I'm not falling for that scam

I will deliver
>>
>>69108467

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1bH_P5aSp4
>>
>>69107738

because teaching is a cushy job

don't let them fool you, it is one of the best jobs out there as long as you don't do stupid, life-ruining shit like diddle the students or something
>>
>>69108365
outside of getting a job teaching those subjects, how does any of your knowledge of these subjects contribute to society
>>
I'm a millennial and I'm studying CompSci
>>
>>69107738
I understand Art or women's studies in particular, but what's wrong with History? I consider it very important, just like anthropology.
>>
AH DON'T NEEDS ME NUNNA THEM BOOK-LEARNINS YA HURD

>clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
>>
>>69107738

Culture is actually the only useful thing that prevails. Everything else will be forgotten in time.
>>
>>69108911
Agreed, preserving history is something valuable.
>>
>>69108551
this is absolute horse shit. you decide what to study and get professional in based on your own personality type.

if you have no drive to do STEM, you won't do STEM. if you have no passion for the arts, you won't do arts.

it's not a purely economic decision. it's an intrinsically motivated one, a subjective one.
>>
>>69108467
Of course not you idiot, there are loads of talented people out there making all sorts of art. "Modern art" that gets posted around here is shock value stuff that becomes valuable because it is interesting and controversial.

>>69108501
>How much do you make a year and how much do you owe in student debt
35k AUD (still studying), probably owe around 12k AUD but it only gets paid when I start earning above a certain level.

>How many people are in your position
No clue, probably not many

>Do you regret, or see better ways to make money?
I'm an intelligent guy, I could have been earning much more money (at the same stage) if I had have studied medicine or law, but I wouldn't have been as happy.
>Does following a subject your passionate about trump following a major you're good at?
They should align somewhat. If you're truly passionate about something you can turn it into a decent living with a bit of hard work.

>>69108757
>how does any of your knowledge of these subjects contribute to society?
English. The language you are speaking right now. I'd say learning a bit about it and applying that to your life contributes a fair amount to society.
>>
>>69107738
They dare to dream

now git that engine oiled
>>
>>69107738
Gen Z only. #notallmillenials
You're a millenial too, Bobby.
>>
>>69108911
>>69109039
Because any useful human being can learn these things without needing a formal education.
I have three degrees - bachelor and master of science, and juris doctor. For work, I get paid about $140k to process patents, and junior at trials on the litigation side. If I didn't have the M.Sc. I would only be doing trademarks.

None of my elective education included literature or history. I learned it by reading books on my own, to be a well-rounded and informed human being.

Anyone who gets a B.A. and who does not independently study sciences is paying money to learn what any intelligent human should pick up on their own.
>>
>>69107738
I think, that these subjects used to be useful, at least for continuing on for law school or general world awareness.

However the universities have been infiltrated by western culture hating communists and you come out dumber than before when majoring in this crap.
>>
>>69107738
I have a BFA and make 115/yr.
>>
File: research.png (2 MB, 1172x885) Image search: [Google]
research.png
2 MB, 1172x885
>>69109702
Its a bit more then just looking up wikipedia m8. You have to translate languages, some of them ancient. You have to understand the context around the time as well and delve deep into the details to get a good view of the past. Not to mention all the biases you have to get around.
>>
>>69107738
Literally retarded, using english to make his shit excuse of trolling art and he will soon be history
>>
>>69108712
>teaching
>cushy job

Maybe as a professor, but high school and middle school are literally hell. You work 12 hours a day, half of which you're dealing with shitty snot-nosed kids. I guess you can do elementary school but good luck getting one that pays more than $30k
>>
12 hours? Do you live in commie land? Its 5-6 in Norway and probably 1-2 hours of revision over tests and lessons to come.
>>
>>69109988
Which is PhD level work.

If you are an archaeologist or writing books that are advancing your field then you can get away with over specialization. Regardless of field. If Marie Curie didn't know what century Shakespeare lived I am okay with that, as her abilities and achievements in another field trumps the rest.

However, for the majority of people, they get a bachelor degree and then enter the workforce with it. Those who get science degrees tend to be as informed as the art students in most arts, except they know a lot more about science and math.
>>
>>69107738
While the STEM stuff is more critical to science advancing, other subjects teached at unis have their importance as well.

The problem I see is that for example arts is filled with leftist/liberal retards who think they can throw an egg on the ground, take a photo and somehow make people think it's art. Cause they say the artist are the obververs/recievers, they need to draw the conclusions and learnings from what they see. By that logic everything is art, and creating just becomes a shitfest.

Art should be like everything valued by its effort and exactness. How can I respect something that I can feel like doing it myself, where does the mastery of the art lie within? Art must feel like something higher, something that you wouldn't achieve without investing endless amounts of time and effort into it's beauty and perfection.
>>
you best not be hating on jesse, compadre.
>>
>>69107738
Because a monkey could do it.
>>
>>69107738
Actually, English is God tier in my country. I have a good job and the open possibilities to earn even more as a tour guide. Shit's cash, man.
>>
>>69107738

Better and more pussy in these classes that we actually have a shot with.
>>
>>69110763
cocks in crendor in the morning is the only good thing he's doing.
>>
>>69111111
Sexts of cuckoldry
>>
>>69107738
Because student loans are so easy to get. You can bet that if these students asked them for $50,000 a year to study liberal arts, there would be NO ONE getting these degrees. Since government subsidizes worthless degree programs in which no one learns anything, we will have more of them It is just a way of getting stupid people to believe themselves to be intelligent because they have a degree. But they are only fooling themselves, because intelligent people immediately know that the phony degree holders are very stupid. Which is why they pursued the fields of studies designed to feed the delusions of idiots.
>>
>>69111111
Witnessed.
>>
>>69111111

W A S T E D

A

S

T

E

D
>>
File: 1452483829872.png (40 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452483829872.png
40 KB, 200x200
>>69111111
>>69111194
wtf
>>
>>69111111
>studied biology for 1 year, barely any grills
>studied computer science 2 years, like 4 grills, 2 of them fuckable
>can't wait to begin sociology pretend to have liberal views and drown in pussy

feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>69108590
>College a Scam
>Not Trade skills
You're following a career path that will be entirely automated or mechanized by the year 2030, if not sooner. College careers is the only option for people with a future. Trade skills are the scam of the future.
>>
>>69107738
>Why do millennials major in useless subjects like History, English, or Art?
because they fell for the meme that literally any college degree makes you a success. if you dont go to college for a degree that has a clear career path then you're basically an idiot.

my gf when i was in college was majoring in psychology and i convinced her that that was a worthless pursuit. this was around 2005 before everyone realized that a degree doesnt guarantee you a plush job. she changed her major to accounting based in my suggestion and it was literally the most pivotal moment of her life. she'd be working in a coffee shop right now if it wasnt for me.

i convinced two other friends to switch their majors too. go either STEM or education or finance or accounting was my thing and we all have jobs now. if you have a passion for literature or art or history that should be something you pursue in your downtime.

the biggest scam in the world has been colleges mainstreaming degrees in subjects that are basically hobbies. when my mom and dad went to school there was probably a tenth of the degrees available today.

college is mostly a scam. my friends that didnt go to school and started straight out in a trade are doing WAY better than most of the people i went to college with. not the brightest bunch but they stumbled upon the greatest supply drought for trade workers in history.

but if i had a college-age kid right now i'd tell them to go to college because there will almost certainly be a rush to the trades soon creating a need for college educated people.
>>
File: 145759292443866.gif (422 KB, 695x724) Image search: [Google]
145759292443866.gif
422 KB, 695x724
>>69107738
There are a few factors:

>Parents encourage them to just take any degree, that "you will find a job no matter what degree you have"

>They have been floating through life up to this point with no real professional interests

>They mainly want to go to college for the cliche social experience they've seen in every TV and movie (read: drink, fuck, "have fun")

>They have no ability to see past the next few months let alone the next 4 years, and have no concept of the fact that they have to find a job using their degree and pay their loans back
>>
>>69111111

pussy is all you'd be getting tho

women don't take art major men seriously
>>
>>69111335
>biology
>no grills
wot? It's about 50/50 where I am. Math, too. CS yeah, there's no grill whatsoever. Hell, in my case, there was a literal fedora-and-trenchcoat wearing degenerate.
>>
>>69110318
Pay depends on the state of course and also the town or city youre in. Shit cities pay a lot. A family member got an elementary job recently and started at double that.
>>
>>69111392

>man

>taking women seriously
>>
Students who want to be artists should get overlapping degrees.

I'm working on my applied science degree, but I'm going into graphic design. Much better degree for the field.
>>
>mfw having to study Art & Design so I can do Tailoring
motherfuckers
I WANNA DO A TRADE.
>>
File: 1454921989483.jpg (44 KB, 350x420) Image search: [Google]
1454921989483.jpg
44 KB, 350x420
>>69108590
plumber

everytime you go to a married woman's house, you have to say "i'm here to clean your pipes"
>>
>>69111111
>thinks male liberal art majors have a better shot at pussy than STEM grads who actually make money
enjoy 4 years of doing stacy's homework so that she will show you her bra strap
>>
>>69107738
People feel entitled to choices without consequences.

Look at the bulk of Bernie's supporters.
>>
>>69111591

>STEM grads who actually make money

>STEM grad
>not a meal ticket (a cuck)
>>
>>69109702
I think History on the whole would become a useless subject if you could freely get copies of all sorts of sources colleges and universities use. If I remember correctly they hoard that shit like no tommorow and you can't access it without being a student.
>>
>>69107738
Because they were never taught to doubt society.

For me, i was brainwashed by my mother as a kid to ignore my dad because he was never home so when he told me to become a mechanic i studied history instead.

Now i'm going to take a course to become a mechanic instead of getting my degree in History major and German minor.
>>
>>69111444
biology is like 30-70/40-60 depends. Problem is they basically all have BFs with long lasting relationships so they don't have interest in dating.

damn, yeah CS here was half full of economics students who want to learn basics of java to be like: "HEY GUYS I CAN CODE." rest was either mathgeeks (they're alright) and degenerates weebs, obese, mlp etc.
>>
>>69107738
History is not useless. The degree is tailored to civil service etc.

Imagine being a white guy, studying Islam, learning fluent Arabic, how many jobs in think tanks and advisory positions you could get.
>>
>>69108365

why
>>
>>69111993
Or you could learn fluent arabic and study islam in 3 months without paying a dime.
>>
>>69111997
I like reading.
>>
>>69112077
And no qualification to get you in the interview door.

Don't be stupid
>>
>>69107738
Because I like history
Besides it's not useless
>>
>>69109075

Here's the thing though - SOME OF US - have to actually work so that you can afford to "follow your passion", you worthless leech.

If we all "followed our passions" then none of you could follow your passion, because there'd be no one to do the actual work. No one to fix your toilet, or make your fucking groceries.

Hows bout instead of focusing on your passion, you actually do something productive for the betterment of people OTHER THAN your greed ass?
>>
>>69112340
More than a historian does.
>>
>>69107738
I have a BA in communications but that was to get through fast with the prereqs for an MBA without having to take shit like statistics. Went out and had a couple of jobs, ran my own business on the side. Took the GMAT once I hit 5 years of relevant experience and got my MBA from an ok but not great school.

I'll be going for a doctorate in another year or so and teach. I love business but it's too difficult finding a company that has even 30% great workers. So I'll teach people how.
>>
>>69112601
You have a job in that area? You're talking out your arse, what do you think these people study?
>>
>>69107738

>history is an excellent major for someone going into business or getting a jd
>>
>>69112567
You don't know what I do m8, and you don't know what my real passions are. If everyone was Polish and we all cleaned toilets, that would make for a pretty dull world don't you think? Sorry about your crappy job hope you manage to work your way up someday.
>>
>>69107738
As a cartoonist, I and a host of other artists bought into the you need a degree to do everything meme. Most people who are smart will realize art school and art degree literally won't make you a dime. You can learn most shit on the art side on your own without the liberal garbage attached. Art degrees are pretty much for people who want to work for museums and teach, that's it.
>>
>>69110762
Spot on. Art is representation of an idea or event in a manner which is pleasing to the eye and can be judged objectively. Jackson Pollack is not art by any means because it relies on artistic relativism and can only be judged subjectively.
>>
history isn't useless.
>>
>>69113295

where did all the people who judge art objectively learn how to do that? Would they all agree on the artistic value of a piece all of the time?
>>
>>69113446
It's an intrinsic skill of humans (for example, if you take a newborn and put them in front of a photo of 2 women, the newborn will fixate whichever is attractive and actively avoid eyecontact with an unattractive subject - the preference is the same across races and sex - same applies to artificial art) and yes as long as we're talking about healthy humans.
>>
>>69113446
They learn it from their uppity liberal instructors or friends.
>>
>>69107738
Beats me. I majored in Chemistry undergrad and realized I needed a PhD to do R&D in industry. Got a full stipend, health insurance, and full tuition to do my PhD (which is standard in sciences). Win/win
>>
>>69113719

All art critics agree on everything in the same way all of the time, got it.

>>69113735

>uppity

so, black people?
>>
>>69113982
Ebin maymay, leaf smoker.
>>
>>69113328
I have BA in History... I wish I'd stuck with Math. American education is such fucking bullshit, they basically encourage you to never be able to develop any kind of a specialization in anything. Everyone I knew from History is either a lawyer, a high school history teacher, and one of them went to Cambridge and is doing PHD now.

Honestly, you'll never get rich as a PHD historian, but if I could get a free Master's/PHD I don't see why I wouldn't do it. It's a fucking fun and cush job. Hanging out in libraries, learning a bunch of languages... I've given up on that though and have a normal job now :-/
>>
>>69113328

I have BA in History... I wish I'd stuck with Math. American education is such fucking bullshit, they basically encourage you to never be able to develop any kind of a specialization in anything. Everyone I knew from History is either a lawyer, a high school history teacher, and one of them went to Cambridge and is doing PHD now.

Honestly, you'll never get rich as a PHD historian, but if I could get a free Master's/PHD I don't see why I wouldn't do it. It's a fucking fun and cush job. Hanging out in libraries, learning a bunch of languages... I've given up on that though and have a normal job now :-/
>>
I did a history degree and have a reasonably well paying editing position at a language resource centre

You can get a job with a history degree but you have to be good at it
>>
>>69107738
Because they're largely cheap degrees with a short turn around and not much work that you can get anywhere, including a community college. They allow you to get the necessary piece of useless paper to apply for shit entry-level jobs in unrelated fields to get the experience that actually matters.
>>
>>69107738

Because school and booms thought us that:

Job and hobby should be the same.
>>
I already answered this question. It's pussy. Stop trying to get ebin trips or sexts.
>>
English Lit major reporting in

I'm 30yo and make $200k in the tech industry

I have autist STEM friends living with their moms

It's all about personality and intelligence - enter an industry you like and dominate
>>
>>69109702
>FINALLY someone makes a thread I can post in!
>>
>>69113982
>uppity
>so, black people?
Man Canada really doesn't have black people do they?
Uppity or snooty can be anyone. Go outside once in awhile.
>>
>>69107738
Where do i know this faggot from
>>
>>69107738
>History
>Useless

Nigger if more people knew their history we wouldnt have 15 fucktillion terrorists pouring into Europe
>>
>>69107738
Because it's easy. It's something anyone can do. They would never succeed at STEM because they are low-IQ, but they want a college degree so they can claim to be intellectuals.

To them, authority stems from an education. If they have that, any education, then they are an authority in all matters.
>>
>>69115087
Yeah I don't think more historians is going to stop that. Unless they're all Indiana Jones or Nathan Drake and can handle a gun.
>>
>>69109894
>115/yr
>115

Sorry to hear that
>>
>>69107738
Going to major in Archaeology this autumn, ask me anything.
>>
File: 1451570692192.png (251 KB, 606x604) Image search: [Google]
1451570692192.png
251 KB, 606x604
>>69115204
>It's something anyone can do.
>anyone can do art
Excluding modern art dada type shit. No, not everyone can do it.
>>
>millennials
how fucking old are you people? we're all millennials here.

also stop using shitty buzzwords.
>>
>>69115223
>missing the point
>>
>>69107738
In the current market even STEM degrees are fairly useless.
>>
>>69113446
You have to take in count that the value of art changes over time. For example the statues on the easter islands. For their time with their tools this was probably considered the "highest art". If you look at them now they still look good, but not as good compared to further/newer achievements in art (for example renaissance).

Art has its ups and downs because it's a luxury, not something you dwell in times of war or economic necessity. Modern times have made us think that in times of war/economic problems you can still sink time in art and expect good outcomes. This is somewhat true because we have lost the value of art, people just start buying shit to rival their other rich friends ("hey look I paid X million for this painting from Y"). But it only becomes true for a few lucky ones who get rich out of their own ignorance and stupidity of others.

Seeing this development there is no point int putting effort/time into creating true art, because noone values it and you can just live of shitty art if you're lucky and sell it well. This counts for all forms of art (movies, literature, music, architecture etc.)
>>
>>69115368

Nigga that shit is dope you will spend your life in fuckheadistan discovering stuff using modern technology, or you can work for treasure hunting companes using history to track sunken ships.

Hope you find some new bible scrolls in your journeys
>>
>>69107738
I have a BA in Business Management but got am MAKING in history to get in to education. I can always fall back on my business degree but if the economy gets bad they always want males teachers.
>>
>>69115801
MA*. Auto correct
>>
>>69115476
No I'm not.
Europeans "knowing their history" won't do much to stop terrorist or refugees from coming in. It's more of a shitty political issue because they're too soft and too progressive in mind.
But I'm open to you explaining to me how "knowing their history" is beneficial.
Enlighten me mate.
>>
>>69107738
The problem isn't that people are majoring in these subjects. The problem is that sooo many people go to college nowadays, even people who really shouldn't be going to college, which means that majors once considered niche and only for those with an aptitude for it have now become overrun with too many students for fields with too few jobs.
>>
>>69107738
> English
> Useless

Lol this is what uneducated people actually think.

Me and my wife both have English degrees, with it we worked around the world (East Germany, Spain, Oman, UAE).

I now am a lecturer in a university and have a house in the country and a summer house in France.

I bet most of you STEM nobs can't say that
>>
>>69115770
Is pretty dope. Have full scholarship too so no debt worries, get to travel world and discover shit. Fuck foreign women, eat foreign food, learn new languages.

At least I hope that's how it turns out.
>>
>>69115877
And who runs politics? Robots?
If more people knew their history they would have never taken in muslims.
You are missing the point.
>>
>>69108590
Plumber. Get your ass to upstate NY and I can prolly get you a job.
>>
>>69113328
How kosher is the history that's taught in western universities?
>>
>>69116083
It's pretty cut and dry in my masters program. Their is some leftist opinions on things like desegregation but it isn't a full on white mans fault game yet.
>>
>>69116027
So you think by knowing ones history you completely remove all chances of a person having progressive thinking or ideals. Do you not consider the idea that someone could know their history and still develop ideals that would make them accept Muslims into their country?
Maybe I am missing the point because your point is built on naive thinking. People and their ways of thinking are not as concrete as you think.
>>
>>69115882
there are people who have succeeded in their major, even people in women's studies. the point is that people majoring in something like english fails their primary objective - getting a job. the unemploymen rate for liberal arts is massive in comparison to any other degree.

and really, english isn't a very good career decision even when ignoring the unemployment and low profit potential. accounting would be more fulfilling.
>>
>>69116083
I can only tell from my experience in high school, which basically teaches parts of what the teacher was taught in uni.
>MUH SLAVERY
>MUH HOLOCAUST and everything surrounding it
>MUH COLD WAR
>MUH WW1
>MUH VIETNAM
>MUH GERMANY DIVIDED
modern history is very much revolving around the bigger wars and the suffering they caused. Liberal standpoints are being teached and no redpills given. They start from the conquista of america to the end at berlin wall crumbling, but its all bluepilled as fuck.

The only part of history which is probably being teached right is the really old history, like how the cave men started building shit.
>>
>>69116332
Calm your aspergers m8, fuck
>>
>>69113011
Care to explain?
Inb4, I love history but I chose not to study it as it would be highly risky.
>>
>>69107738
I have a degree in Public and Applied History,
I seem to being pretty damn well.
50k a year, no student debt,

had to sway a bit away from what I wanted. But still get to do stuff with history.
>>
>>69108590

Plumbers in the Seattle area generally charge $180 per hour. These fuckers have working coming out of their assholes too.
>>
>>69110318
>You work 12 hours a day

and 9 months a year
>>
>>69116535
Why would accounting be more fulfilling?
>>
i have a useless art degree.

mommy and daddy landed me a good job, has nothing to do with art tho.

college was fun.
>>
Art is something anyone can pick up,I can become a historian at my discretion. STEM is something tangible and productive, a true utilization of ones intelligence. I would recommend anyone with any ability to do STEM and if you want to do any arts just pick it up. No need to go into socialist university to get indoctrinated.
>>
>>69107738
those are not useless, women's studies faggot
>>
>>69108590
Christian Apologetics
>>
>>69107738
Man I wish I had majored in history.
I'm fucking miserable doing law
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>69107738
>mfw milli threads never apply to me
>>
>>69117001
Being a productive member of society isn't fun.
>>
>>69117001
t. literally nobody
>>
>>69117001
This. People who major in law/business/STEM for the money will never be as successful as people who truly enjoy it. Luckily, I won't have to learn that the hard way since my based Asian friend redpilled me on the topic.
>>
>>69116653
You sound like a complete fuckface, WAH people aren't teaching my biased ideas to people WAHH.
>>
File: 9155.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
9155.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>69116794
Yeah I have the assburgers because you've ran out of anything intelligent to say.
Go feed your emu and sniff some more petrol, kid.
>>
File: 1455053902001.jpg (14 KB, 483x483) Image search: [Google]
1455053902001.jpg
14 KB, 483x483
I'm 25 And LOVE Science! I Wish I Was Born In The 20's So I Could Fight In WWII And Then Become A Nuclear Scientist Like Einstein (or Marie Curie ;)!
Like This If You Were Born In The Wrong Generation
>>
ABOUT TO GRADUATE WITH ARTS DEGREE
Ok, let me lay this out for you fucking faggots.
I graduate in with my arts degree in August. Let me tell you, art schools now are filled with SJWs and those types. The things we have had to read were about half useless (I'm not the kind of person to just throw everything in the trash every thing deserves one read)
Now listen, while this aspect was depressing I spent my whole time in school making craft in the woodshed, drawing (BIG DRAWINGS), sleeping with the top tier of rich white and jewish women, and just being a general badass about the whole thing. Yes, many go to art school and just use it as a front because inside they are dead and empty and have nothing inside them. People like myself used the time to create things. Art school gives you the chance to spend two nights straight on a project just for the portfolio before the bills really start to kick in.
History is remembered through objects of culture. Before you go whine about how everything is degenerate, just remember you do so because inside you are empty and dead. Its not just whites that are being exterminated it is people who do not possess value.
>>
I thought they were all still in school
>>
>>69116898
because at least your contributing to something. accountants are core to the function of a company, and it would at least be a little fulfilling to see the business succeed, even if it isn't your success.

good on the english professor to have a high paying teaching job, but just imagine where the people who he graduated with are. they are either unemployed, in a different career, or teaching a bunch of goobs at a community college.
>>
because STEM jobs are boring to them. you can't go full Liberal and have elitist altrusitic gratification from an engineering class or medical class like you can with english majors writing about evil whites.
>>
Art is something anyone can pick up,I can become a historian at my discretion. STEM is something tangible and productive, a true utilization of ones intelligence. I would recommend anyone with any ability to do STEM and if you want to do any arts just pick it up. No need to go into socialist university.
>>
>>69115877
As a great fan of history (which I chose not to study in uni), I guess that we would only benefit from people being more acknowledged in history for a various set of reasons:
a) Knowing your past gives you a sense of identity that goes beyond the mere modern consumerism
b) Knowing the past gives you a better hindsight on the present and this is reflected in your political leaning and opinions (example,the 'muh Crusade' argument of Islam vs West clearly shows how most people don't know a flying fuck about medieval history.
c) Knowing history gives also a better understanding of what is going on currently and how the world actually works: it would stop most misconceptions about 'muh colonialism source of all evils', 'racism is only of the west', 'muh white invented slavery' and other bullshit.

Be it clear, it would not solve the current softness and degeneracy of the West but for sure having more youngsters who read a history book rather than Tumblr would help.
>>
>>69107738
Knew a guy who majored in history for law school (they seem to like that major). He's a decent attorney now.

Knew a girl who majored in art history. Got a job at Christies auctions of London. Basically confirms the provenance of various things the auction house is looking to sell on consignment.

That's it. They were the lucky ones.
>>
>>69117228
>People who major in law/business/STEM for the money will never be as successful as people who truly enjoy it
This, so much this
>>
>>69117732
Most historians are leftist socialists lamenting colonialism. When you look at history you see what you want.
>>
>>69111993

>learning fluent Arabic

That shit's fucking impossible for non-native speakers. Even most Arabic speakers don't know all the ins and outs of their own language.
>>
>>69117776
At NJIT you have to have taken an economy class to get a degree. Most likely so they dont raise Sjw marxists. Once you take an economy class you learn how hit works. Schools that are mainly STEM seem to not want their kids to become sjws.
>>
>>69117957
My High School history teachers acually hated Obama. This was before election in junior and after 2008 in senior year.
>>
File: real nigga.jpg (181 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
real nigga.jpg
181 KB, 640x640
>>69117400
wow grats woooooo :))))))
1 like = 1 prayer for islam :)))
>>
>>69118112
I'm not talking about high school teachers,speaking of professional historians.
Look on Amazon and see how many books there are blaming whitey for the plight of niggers in Africa and colonialism.
>>
>>69117957
>>69118112
Mine was an old catholic man who taught us stuff like church history because he thought that the german history curriculum put to much emphasis on non european subjects kek.

Fuck I hope he's still alive ;_;
>>
>>69117386
You do have asbergers you fucking autist
My point was there is lots to be learned from knowing history, and if everyone, including politicians, knew the nature of Islam the world would be a better place.
Why do I need to spell it out for you retard
>>
>>69108365
Can I get fries with that?
>>
>>69113295
BAHAHAHA no dude if art was just an exact representation of anything we'd live in the most boring of all possible world.
>>
>>69107738

I have a Bachelor of arts in writing and i'm a sales VP who makes 6 figures.

outside of engineering, medicine and law, the concept that your major somehow dictates your career is an extremely underage perception. and even within those disciplines you can still do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>69107738
I think this is pretty self explanatory . It's the easiest thing to do in college.
>>
>English
>useless
English major here. Keep spreading this meme. I made a fortune off people like you in the 2000s. I retired after eight years of work. As it turns out, you can pay shitskins and germans to do your engineering and programming work, but if you don't document it, the government will shut you down. First job out of college I was on a 14 million dollar pharmaceutical documentation project.

Good goy.
>>
>>69117732
Well at least you gave a well thought out reply that makes sense.
Thank you for that. But I also agree with >>69117957
Unless Europeans are learning from more traditional sources they'd be getting the watered down socially accepted version.
I always though most Euro countries knew their history and had some form of pride but I guess those people are either dying out or being flipped over by progress social changes.
>>
>>69118412
Shush, go to bed you kiwi.
>>
>>69115685
>You have to take in count that the value of art changes over time
Yes, with the demand for money laundering.
>>
Because we lack all practical skills, then hide from the real world in a University until I get the balls to shoot myself so I don't have to deal with the real world.
>>
>>69107738
I study history. Pretty crap honestly but it's by far my strongest subject. It's also irritating being pretty much the only right-wing person around. I probably wouldn't be cut out for a STEM degree so if I could go back I'd just learn a trade or something, which is probably what I'll eventually end up doing anyway. But nobody talked about that possibility before.
>>
I'm majoring (?) in computational linguistics, I don't know why I haven't just picked translator speciality, oh well.
You need a lot of experience to get something decent out of this speciality, but at least I will also be able to translate technical stuff with that diploma, so I will not live without my own piece of bread.
>>
>>69107738

I thought they were interesting when I was 17 and didn't think about the consequences of spending 3 years getting a degree in them.

Couldn't have done most STEM subjects without A Levels in maths/sciences (which I picked when I was like 15). Could have done computer programming at a pleb University/law/business, but basically other than that the decision was made when I was 15 because of A Levels.
>>
>>69117957
I agree and that's the problem. I'm very interested in history and I study it passionately in my free time (I'm 22) and perhaps I may be naive but I do believe that history is a collection of facts (which are subject of interpretation) but anyway of facts, meaning that you can see colonialism as mostly a bad thing (for certain aspects it was), you can see it also as a positive force (as it was in certain cases), these two are two different facets of the phenomenon and that's normal.
What I hate is the politicisation and mistification of history: crusades, colonialism and slavery used as political tool, falsified (read: slavery invented by whites, all fault of whites, colonialism always bad and without positive effects, Islam peaceful and Crusades the source of all problems), this is not history: this is appropriating history for political purposes.
As I said, I may be naive but I do believe in an objective history based on a logical approach (for example, all fucking societies in history killed, raped and invaded other people) and facts and only then on interpretation.
>>69118845
You got another fundamental problem: Europeans have lost their pride.
We (Europeans, whites, choose the term) are the greatest civilisation ever seen: we have accomplished more in 500 years than any other previous civilisation, we have given to the world so much that nobody in the world now lives without something Europeans made.
For sure, Europeans committed lots of crimes and yet we only see them, like if the only white icon now is Hitler and people like Salk or Fleming or Jenner (three extraordinary minds) were an exception.
For fuck's sake, we gave the world every modern invention: everything and yet leftards only focus on crimes and bad stuff, like if the world before Imperialism was some sort of Heaven.
Without a strong sense of pride (beware, not arrogance, pride), we are weaker and it all leads to what here on /pol means being a 'cuck'.
We are like the Romans in 300 AD.
>>
>>69118494

I gotta agree. Major in Pol Sci in University had dreams of working for NGO in South America saving the rainforest or protecting indigenous rights or some shit and saving the world. Then I realized the world doesn't want saving and the indigenous people in South America just want houses, nice clothes and coca cola like the rest of us. Now I make six figures a year working in sales/technology. I probably do more good now just via charitable contributions then I ever could have via my former path.
>>
I'm a final year History student, it's more where you do it and who you know. I'm already looking at a decent starting position in the British Foreign Office (as long as I can pass this test we have to do)
>>
>>69122299
>he fell for the donation meme!
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.