[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is darknet stuff like tor, freenet, i2p etc justified in existing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Iceberg-Wallpapers.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Iceberg-Wallpapers.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1080
Is darknet stuff like tor, freenet, i2p etc justified in existing for the off-chance someone uses it as an informant or contact under a totalitarion regime?

Everyone knows its used 90% of the time for drugs and chilli powder, but has there ever been any stories where these networks were used to save someone's life or bust open a terrorist network or something? Any stories at all would be fine.

If there isn't any should these things be shut down?
>>
How would you shut it down?
>>
>>68854993
There'd be a way probably but I didn't think that far ahead yet

tor's getting beat anyway, freedom hosting was a huge loss
>>
>>68854726

>I'm going through 12 VPNs right now just to shitpost about Ted Cruz
>>
>If there isn't any should these things be shut down?

I will never understand how people can think like this. Why would you shut down anything that offered "off the grid" communication and allowed the trade of goods and commerce?

You WANT the government to be in absolute control of everything? You're fucking insane. The navy was responsible for TOR in the first place, our Military wants you to have it. The state/federal Government might not. You need to uncuck yourself senpai
>>
>>68855192
That'd ironically be the right way to use all this stuff but it never happens
>>
>>68855369
>Why would you shut down anything that offered "off the grid" communication and allowed the trade of goods and commerce?

I used to care until I realized that you're talking about some hypothetical and probably unlikely legitimate use for it when right now its used to distribute awful shit.
>>
>>68855562
>i have opinions about things so we should shut down one of the last avenues of truly free exchange of information.

go fuck yourself, faggot
>>
>>68855714
>>i have opinions about things so we should shut down one of the last avenues of truly free exchange of information.
you mean anonchan with 1 post a month?

you really don't get that in practice this doesn't serve any good?

you probably weren't thinking of using any of it in your 'new american civil war' fantasy anyway
>>
>>68855377
It happens on a daily basis. Everytime you see a rare flag stop and think what that countries citizen would be doing on a chinese fingertrap newsletter.

>>68855139
Doesn't matter if you accomplished your goal because something would replace it.

>>68855894
If even one person uses it "correctly" then it's justified.
>>
File: 1452034644819.png (28 KB, 218x210) Image search: [Google]
1452034644819.png
28 KB, 218x210
>>68854726
>shut it down
>>
>>68855894

Having access to drugs is serving some good you fascist cunt. All drugs should be legal and regulated.
>>
>>68855192
not just ssh tunneling to vpn
>>
>>68854726
TOR was created by the US government for just that reason actually.
>>
>>68854726
Mind your own business, you little rat cunt.
>>
>>68856122
>Doesn't matter if you accomplished your goal because something would replace it.
agreed, if that happened when we actually needed it that'd be fine

>>68856242
>All drugs should be legal and regulated.
what, literally all? i think some should be legal but you know
>>
>>68855139
You can't shut it down and even if you did, a new way of encrypting and transmitting data would be created. It's a losing battle and short of the government controlling what we software we can install on our computers, it can't be stopped.
>>
>>68854726
The US military uses Tor. Not even joking.
>>
>>68856346
>Mind your own business, you little rat cunt.
u mad?

there's some shocking shit on there even without retards memeing about it
>>
>>68854726

ear we go m8
>>
>>68856548
i'm surprised they do, is there military websites or anything interesting like that on there?
>>
>>68856777
Why are you surprised? It's one of the safest ways to communicate over the internet.
>>
>>68856890
i bought into fear mongering after a bunch of shit went down i guess, honestly i made the thread for discussions sake because i just saw something i can't unsee

my fault for poking around i guess
>>
the deep web is quite scary, ive heard stories about it, lots of people here use tor to get around sites that are blocked here
>>
>>68857306
that's probably a good thing though, what sites are banned over there?
>>
>>68857928
not sure, some sites that dont have anything bad at all on them, its just that the government bans sites that fall in the catagory, like for example, sex,drugs, gambling, etc, the government doesnt choose to ban the sites, they have this thing that scouts the sites that fall in those catagories, and if it does, it just bans them, you can easily use a VPN for that
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.