[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't millennials afford to buy a home?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: IMG_0526.jpg (122 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0526.jpg
122 KB, 900x900
Why can't millennials afford to buy a home?
>>
I think there's also something to be said about the fact that land ownership is no longer seen as that important and bohemian lifestyles are starting to flourish more.
>>
because they spend their money on more important stuff like smartphones, vacations and clothes
>>
>>68770880
lack of steady jobs paying above poverty wages. this is in turn caused by globalization.
>>
>>68771191
or drugs and whores
>>
>>68770880

massive student debt, inflated housing prices in a lot of areas (e.g. the areas that actually have jobs), lowish wages.

that being said it's still totally possible, you just have to save. i'm 28 and about to buy a house around the 450k mark.
>>
File: plsbros.jpg (47 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
plsbros.jpg
47 KB, 720x720
Millennial here, bought a home in the ghetto

People my age either are incapable of saving the down payment and maintaining their credit or they have irrational fears of ownership. Some of the more popular excuses I've heard

>can't move easily
>paranoid of foreclosure
>they think every mortgage is an adjustable rate
>they think mortgages are inherently evil
>they have unrealistic expectations for their first home
>they think the market is unstable and likely to crash again soon

Which is 99% bullshit
>>
>>68770880
why does someone that watches e-sports shitpost about millennials so much
>>
File: abagoftrouble.jpg (96 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
abagoftrouble.jpg
96 KB, 480x600
>>68771191
this, add stupid shit like muh weed, and phony college degrees. Outsourced production of most heavy industry because muh enviroment/global warming. Hippie bullshit.
>>
>>68770880

they don't work, they don't save, and they want to buy a home in ridiculously fucking expensive areas where prices are made much worse by pointless over-regulation
>>
>>68771371
>he thinks buying a home is an investment
>>
>>68771029
Owners tend to make children and save money. That makes them bad consumers in a free market economy
>>
Because they got an art/gender studies degree
>>
>>68771513

are you retarded or just underage?
>>
>>68771513

>he thinks that all homes are bad investments

This is the irrational fear I was talking about
>>
>>68771521
I don't even mean on a societal level. I mean on an individual level more and more people don't care about owning a house anymore and would rather spend their time living like Christopher McCandless.
>>
>>68770880
>Soe pic
every time.
It gets me every single fucking time.
>>
File: 1379279725169.jpg (53 KB, 479x624) Image search: [Google]
1379279725169.jpg
53 KB, 479x624
>>68770880
long hair soe best soe
>>
Average wage hasn't risen anywhere close to how rapidly houses are rising. In UK, property inflation is just fucking crazy. You're looking at need £20-30k savings to get a mortgage for even the most basic property.

Saving that amount while you pay £500-700 per month rent for a shitty apartment is just plain out of reach for most people.
>>
>>68771640
Because the medias are pushing this narrative
To make them good consumers
>>
>>68770880
If you're serious, years of economic stagnation.

The economy of the past 4 decades has been built on sand. It's a credit and debt consumer splurge, which is unsustainable. The house of cards is falling down.

Baby boomers are a problem too, they won't retire and seeing as jobs are stagnating, quality jobs for young people are facing a large shortage.

The housing bubble prices young people out of the market.

So housing bubble and job insecurity fucks people over from the start.

Also it's funny implying home ownership is even a thing for most people when it actually means is you put your balls in the banks vice grip whilst you become a glorified tenant and they the land lord until you pay off your mortgage, something you would need secure income for.

Is it really any wonder that they're fucked.
>>
>>68770880
because millennials are younger than 20 and a house costs around 100k
>>
>>68770880
because of the college scam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7R8xIxzKI
>>
>>68770880
Its a combination of high student loan debt, investment in housing for speculative purposes post-recession (we can thank quantitative easing and the international carry trade for this in part), and restrictions on building in urban centers that constrict the necessary growth in the stock of housing.
Also, the fact that millennials are marrying later for numerous reasons.
>>
>>68770880
Because i have a home.
>>
>>68771565
Fuck off back to middle school

>>68771573
I didn't say that. But your retarded if you think buying a house isen't a liability. Its definitely not an asset.
>>
>>68772035

My house doubled in value in the last 3 years breh
>>
>>68771772
No. If anything the media is pushing the exact same complaints this thread is pushing (i.e. "why can't millenials get jobs and be good wageslaves already?").

The reason for this shift in life goals is due to devaluation of land because of overpopulation and resource raping. Fertile lands are fewer and further between and more and more places are becoming subsidized living units with no soul, all the while everywhere you look there's millions of other people trying to live the ideal western life JUST LIKE YOU. So anyone with any sort of observational skill would look at that climate and go "hmmm, maybe I want something different".

And guess what, that's what most millenials think.
>>
>>68771772
yeh it has nothing to do with the unemployment rate or the debt rate or the shitty wages or the rising price of goods

just commercials
>>
>>68771029
Im actually really glad this is happening.
>Land in my paradise-like rural county should become cheaper for me to buy when their parents will it to them
>Buy houses and duplexes to rent to financially cucked fellow millenials to support my lavish rural lifestyle

Feels good man. I hope they never wise up.
>>
>>68771573
Most of the time it is a bad investment once you consider that you could have invested in something with a higher roe.

>they think the market is unstable and likely to crash again soon

Well considering the housing market has crashed recently and the government spent hundreds of billions of dollars to prop up the price of homes...
>>
>>68771730
Who dat? Pls tell me Fritz
>>
>>68772124
Shut up cuck. No one cares about muh prole issues.

I bet you're a shitskin or gay.
>>
>>68772035
>housing isnt an asset
>is the largest asset owned by most families and financial institutions in the developed world

k.
>>
>>68770880
people live longer, which is fine, but we need way more houses and apartments since the occupants of the current houses are refusing to die.
>>
>>68770880

Basic supply and demand: Government backs loans for houses. House prices skyrocket. But there are many more gov programs that fluff the price of houses. Further, millennials are young. Many people got into these houses that they couldn't really afford. But again, the gov comes to bail them out, and you can't really foreclose on people. Section 8 also causes the price of housing to go up.

I mean, how can you say that millennials are simply less than other generations? Like they all got together and decided to fuck up, like a big conspiracy?

In short: people are slaves to the government.
>>
i am a millenial, and all i want is a house. but with my shitty $10 an hour is impossible when im already paying rent.
>>
>>68771370
This absolutely. It's also an issue of Financing. It's very strict since the '08 crash according to my loan officer buddy
>>
File: 0lBXFeW.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
0lBXFeW.png
108 KB, 400x381
>parents bought their home for 100k
>today it is valued at 300k
>>
>>68771852
>house cost around 100k
>tfw live in los angeles and crack houses cost over 400k
>>
25, paying $2000/month rent.

I don't want to buy until I'm sure of where I want to live. I've moved three times in three years.
>>
>>68771371
>>they think mortgages are inherently evil
They are because usury is.
>>
>>68772226
Dont forget to save some space for housing those poor syrians
>>
>>68772291
Parents bought their home for $90,000

It's now worth nearly two million.
>>
>>68770880
Because boomers won't sell for less than 150% of what they bought it for, adjusted for inflation
>>
>>68772133
landlording is the original way of cucking someone financially
>>
>>68772202
>And guess what, that's what most millenials think.
>no one cares about muh prole issues
typical that a canadian wouldn't understand cause and effect
>>
>>68772291
Yeah, okay.
Thats why "The housing market is shit"
People try to sell their crappy houses for more than they are actually worth.
>>
Our parents told us to follow our dreams and we could do whatever we wanted and it would work out great!

>a lot of us listened and believed it.

Not me though. Homeowner at 28.
>>
>>68772359

My mortgage rate was 3.75% Not unreasonable at all
>>
>>68771776
>your balls in the banks vice grip whilst you become a glorified tenant
Everything else you said was true but that's just absolute bullshit.
Home ownership is the safest and most effective way to grow your income.
>>
File: 1449850114971.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449850114971.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>68772232
>working for $10 an hr
All you've gotta do is meet people and I guarantee you can score a better job than that m8, anyone can
>>
>>68770880
Because saving money isn't as fun as blowing it on pointless shit #YOLO
>>
>>68770880
boomers need someone to fund there retirement. They have only one asset because they let reagan fuck over unions, hence no pension.

That house has to be worth a million so they don't have to live on alpo.
>>
>>68772035

My god kiddo. I live in the Boston area, I dont personally know anyone who has ever bought a house here that hasnt appreciated. My buddy's house in somerville cost him less than $500k when he bought it, it's worth well over 7 figures now. Of course it's possible to make bad investments, the whole point of real estate is to find properties that will increase in value.

Enjoy your lifetime of servitude to a landlord like the bitch you are.
>>
File: 1457294357017.jpg (35 KB, 445x604) Image search: [Google]
1457294357017.jpg
35 KB, 445x604
>>68772300
I know that feel.
>>
>>68770880

I couldn't afford to buy a home with five years of savings near minimum wage. I bought a condo instead for $260,000. It is now worth $80,000.
>>
File: 1439587963486.jpg (61 KB, 620x591) Image search: [Google]
1439587963486.jpg
61 KB, 620x591
>>68772456
The bubble is going to collapse soon enough, the credit system they've built just doesn't work anymore.
>>
>gonna buy my council house at 60% off
THANK YOU BASED THATCHER
>>
>>68770880
>tfw my father told me his credit will drop another 500 bucks next year
>in six years he will have paid off the huge-ass house he built
>took him almost 40 years
>this country is going to shit now

I feel bad for him. He's worked hard all of his life.
>>
>>68770880
There's no real incentive for me to. I move pretty often. With renting I can move out without much hassle. Plus when I rent I'm not responsible for when plumbing fucks up, oven stops working, washer & dryer explode, ect. ect. which leaves me with more time for other things.
>>
>>68772291

My grandparents in London raised their family in a house they got for like less than £7000 or so in a the 60s.

Now it is looking at being worth over £1 million within 5 years.

London is so fucked.
>>
Because baby boomers own 80% of the property and the British government keeps on feeding the "property" market with new laws to keep the housing bubble from popping.

I could afford a home now though. The only reason I'm not is because I'm going to Uni next year so I probably won't live in this city.
>>
>>68772112
>>68772225
>Buy a house
>Niggers move in, neightborhood goes to shit
>Mother nature cucks your shit up
>what is house market
>doesn't generate you money

I'll rather invest my money in other things. By renting you're not responsible for anything that could occur to or around the area of your house

But I would rather live for free in my car desu
>>
>>68770880
Millennial here. My life goal is to support a loving family and make sure I have a house to leave my children. No phony wage issues or housing market problems will stop that from happening. Most millennials can't afford a house because they don't have the drive to do so. Working hard and saving money doesn't compute with them. I'll work myself to the bone to see my dreams come true.
>>
>>68772811
you dun goofed, son
>>
>>68772815
the fuck is going on in this picture
>>
TRUMPFAGS EPIC BTFO
>>
>>68770880
Technological comforts & modern feminism have fostered low aspirations of males.
>>
>>68772305

You don't need to live in a house you buy forever. In fact a lot of people move within 5 years of buying (unless you are doing some kind of first time buyer program that requires a minimum stay like some towns offer). The point is that the money you are paying is essentially staying in your pocket, assuming you sell at the right time.

In retrospect I really wish I had just bought a condo or something a bunch of years ago.
>>
>>68770880
Because houses are overpriced, they lose value immediately after you buy one, and few of us make the money to own one. Home ownership has been systematically disincentivized for white people, just like breeding and getting married.

If you're a welfare nig you can get a $2000/mo colonial-style brick house in upstate New York for free, though.
>>
>>68770880
>she will never be cute again
>>
>>68772920

I rent out rooms so it does generate cash and I bought in a safe neighborhood showing growth trends. It is a big decision you should not take lightly but if you know what your doing you can make money
>>
>>68772915
My aunt bough her house in London for a few thousand, worth at least 300k now.
>she's leaving it to someone else
>>
>>68772940

OK, can we stop this whole "millenials don't like hard work" thing, because its not like the baby boomers or Gen X were out there busting a gut. The amount of benefits they received were enormous, and they usually got better priviledges in their jobs.
>>
>>68772585
>Home ownership is the safest and most effective way to grow your income

It was for generations. Now that's not true. I bought a condo for $260k in 2006 now it's worth $80k. Tell me my wealth grew.
>>
>>68773084
It's not even about living in the house, buying and renting is much more profitable, especially if you start while living with your parents so you don't starve for your first few months
>>
>>68771776
>If you're serious, years of economic stagnation.
Any ideas on how to getting out this stagnation, that only got worse in 2008?
>>
>>68773250
did you not buy in an urban area? it's really the only place condo's keep their value because houses are just too damn expensive. buying a condo where you can afford a house is asking for a trouble.
>>
>>68770880
Because they shitpost on /pol/ all day instead of getting a real fucking job
/thread
>>
File: graphsndsheit.jpg (84 KB, 862x664) Image search: [Google]
graphsndsheit.jpg
84 KB, 862x664
>>68773250

you should have looked at the graphs before you bought m8.

Too many people just decide "It's time to buy a home!" when the market was clearly about to blow

Everyone who bought bought in 05 got fucking burned
>>
>>68770880
When you spend every bit of money you earn on micro transactions in games, artisan chocolate milk, refurbished toys from your childhood, and designer headphones instead of saving and sacrificing for a better life you end up not being able to afford to move out of your parents house
>>
>>68772880
>There's no real incentive for me to. I move pretty often. With renting I can move out without much hassle.

This. I've been told I need to go where the jobs are. So far that's been true. It's hell but hey I can afford a one bedroom apartment and some food.
>>
File: 1450424986362.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450424986362.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>68773250
>buying at the worst possible time you could have in the past 20 years
>moaning that it's a bad investment
Sorry, you're just retarded.
>>
>>68771730
>>68770880
Who is dis :0
>>
>>68773222
rich boomers have millenial kids

because they pampered their kids so much, their kids become lazy soy-filled sacks of shit

they extrapolate their disappointment with their spawn to the rest of the millenial population
>>
>>68770880
Because they are too infatuated with their own image , so they'd resort to plastic surgery, or too infatuated with the party lifestyle that praises degenerate drug use and promiscuity. Owning a home is the last thing on their mind if they ever even think about living for that long, they're thinking about buying the new tesla that makes them seem rich.. Etc, the superficiality goes on. I'm only 20 but I'm looking for a duplex since I plan to have a family one day, and take my boss for example , she's 32, already with her second husband and not even considering a home to own. I don't understand that type of thought process when she owns a goddamned business
>>
>>68770880
Because we are in a recession
>>
>>68772815
Not unless the govt stops propping up insane home prices. Me and longterm gf just want us a house to live in, but even out in the sticks prices are over 150k
>>
>>68773508
>what is a lease
You can't just walk out on a renting agreement without losing money, do you really think land lords don't have tons of protections?
>>
>>68770880
They are already paying mortgage sized student loans.
>>
>>68770880
because they're millennials.
>>
>>68772489
You're unemployed because you're an unskilled shitskin. Get over it, Hakkim.
>>
>>68770880
STEM here, I design military equipment and can definitely afford a house. Not falling for your Bernie shit.
>>
>>68770880
House prices are higher, and pay is lower.
>>
>>68773804
where did I say I'm unemployed? You can't read for shit my man.
>>
File: normalfag.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
normalfag.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>68773730
There's a limit on how far we can push propping up the market, it's just a matter of time. If you're going to buy I'd hold off
>>
>>68772497
This
>>68772291
And this

I nean there are cheap houses but most of them are in ghettos, my brother lucked out. Beautiful huge house with large area in a good location for 150k
>>
>>68773997
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>
>>68773593

Laziness is a result of lack of motivation overcoming the effort of doing something. When you a inherit a world created by as generation as bone idol, entitled and retarded as baby boomers, what can you expect? Why do any overtime at work when you get taxed to high hell to for Grandpa's pension because Grandpa was too busy out there smoking weed, living in a commune and "spreading the love maaan" to save any money?
>>
>>68772178

The housing market didn't crash, it was propped up by monetary policy. Dead cat bounce. The most recent real estate numbers showing a decrease in sales are already showing that the market can no longer bear the inflated prices.

Now that capital flight is becoming much harder in China as the government implements tougher laws it won't be long before housing reverts to the mean. Everyone is back to the 2007 mentality of "Housing can only go up!" which is indicative of an impending bubble. Except this time it won't be a bubble caused by poor lending it's instead going to be caused by debt saturation and household balance sheets still not recovered from the 2008 recession. Just don't be the greater fool.
>>
>>68773471
>When you spend every bit of money you earn on micro transactions in games, artisan chocolate milk, refurbished toys from your childhood, and designer headphones instead of saving and sacrificing for a better life you end up not being able to afford to move out of your parents house

It's funny because my dad is the exact person you describe. He owned a house and a few rental.properties.

He was always obsessed with shit from when he was a kid. He bought juke boxes bumper cars, arcade machines. Basically he would go.out on the weekends and find some.shiny chrome thing that was from the 1950s and buy it, because it was cool. The fact you think this is just a millennial thing is retarded. The fact that some shitty nostalgia inducing trinkets should disqualify a person from affording shelter is retarded.
>>
>>68772178
>Most of the time it is a bad investment once you consider that you could have invested in something with a higher roe.
You mean like renting?
>>
>>68770880
there is a limited supply of land and homes
the prices rise
>>
>>68773739
>You can't just walk out on a renting agreement without losing money,

I.pay month to month. I have to go where the jobs are or I have no income. Don't hate the player. Hate the game.
>>
>>68773308
>Any ideas on how to getting out this stagnation
Well that's the thing. We're not getting out of it. What we're experiencing is a permanent downward spiral.

All of this is just a symptom of larger issues that are fucking us over.

Overpopulation.

Running out of fossil fuels.

Climate change.

Really this century is going to be about the decline of industrial society and the conflict and upheaval that comes from that.
>>
Once people bought land and a house so their family would live in it for a long time. Now it's and investment. I'm fucking tired of this shit. I want to start a family but I can't afford a House to raise it it, I can't build It myself. Women think fucking a bunch of people is a good Idea.

Just wake me up, Can't wake up.
>>
>>68774415
Yup
Its fucking obnoxious as shit, boomers need to fucking die off
>>
Anyone bitching about down payments is an idiot. You can easily get a 3.5% down mortgage wth FHA, or 5% down direct to bank right now
>>
File: 1458923638169.png (394 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1458923638169.png
394 KB, 600x800
How are foreigners able to afford property?
>>
>>68771852

Just bought a house for $220k and that was considered super cheap in new England
>>
>>68774601
They dont
Owning property is an american thing
>>
Because homes tie you down to an area and cause you to lose out on nonlocal job prospects. I can move across the country in a week for a new job. But I guess since most of /pol/ does low skilled labour jobs it really doesn't matter whether you're serving coffee in New York or Houston.
>>
>>68770880
Because no one is able to afford a home aged 20 or so. You'll barely have finished Uni and wont have a well paying job yet.

Furthermore, the job market is on its ass and youll often have to make do with 2 or 3 part time jobs. Hiring full time is too expensive.
>>
>>68774558
To follow up, rent is high relative to home prices in my area.

$120,000 house - relatively nice 3 bed 2 bath, not ostentatious but nice, not in ghetto, but in fast growing mid size city.

Mortgage: $600/month

Rent: $1400/month
>>
>>68774369

Globalization is the biggest contributor.
>>
>>68774664
In northern Maine you can get a 3 bed room house for 30000
>>
>>68774707
This, i dont know why the expect most people younger than 25 or so to own a house
Its practically impossible this day and age unlike 50 years ago
>>
>>68770880
Implying the homes are work buying at current cost.
>>
>>68774788
>Mortgage
Don't forget to include property tax, utility bills, insurance, and liable damages
>>
File: 1419567416413.jpg (112 KB, 660x782) Image search: [Google]
1419567416413.jpg
112 KB, 660x782
>boomer dad about to inherit $250,000 from dead grandparents
>I will inherent nothing from my parents
wewewewewewewewew
>>
>>68774504
It's depressing. The influx of foreigners is making it worse. 10 years ago most people at my work place were white. Now its like 10%.
>>68774601
They come and rent off boomers and rich cunts. Take the boomers kids jobs or get welfare because they can't work because they saw some one die.
>>
>>68775007
you don't include utilities you fucking leaf, you would pay those on a rental.

Anyway, even with taxes, insurance etc it still comes to maybe $750
>>
DUR HUR THEY'RE LAZY

No. I know some retards are gonna say that, but really it's because of a ruined system that was fucked up by previous generations.
>>
>>68775007
OH and don't forget about the interest rates you have to pay on your mortgage, which have a tendency to increase with each passing year.
>>
>>68775007

your mortgage provider usually includes your property taxes and insurance as part of the mortgage cost
>>
>>68775039
Im probably going to do what my brother did
Finish uni
Join military
I dont even care if i get smoked anymore
>>
>sell the whole fucking country to the Chinese
">why isn't the new generation flourishing? must be lazy and probably autistic too!"

Boomers are a joke.
>>
>>68775151
Wat? Are you retarded? Or just not know how mortgages work? 30 year fixed rate is the most common, meaning the interest rate doesn't change at all
>>
I might be buying a 60k house in a small town in (white)Texas. 3 bed 2 bath 2000 Sq ft. Thoughts?
>>
>>68775097
>you would pay those on a rental

No you wouldn't. Most rental agreements these days include the utility bills in your rent. Not to mention you can actually negotiate for that kind of stuff too, so you're given freedom to choose how you want your lump sum payments to be done.
>>
>>68774038
That's the plan. Just enduring the wait
>>
>>68775151

>le every mortgage is an ARM

are you pulling my leg?
>>
>>68775232
Do you just live in your mom's basement? No rental includes power or gas. MAYBE water.
>>
>>68770880

Because there are no jobs.

Nursing is the only reliable occupation now days. Pays well.

Or they have a job bust spend money in their newest iphone
>>
>>68775220
Good goy! Our rates never change! Of course it'll aways be fixed you, shmendrik!
>>
>>68775293
I get free gas and water.
>>
>>68775222

how much would a rental go for in the same area? sounds like a good deal though
>>
>>68770880
Those with decent jobs can. Many choose not to. The % of income that is spent on houses has gone down as youths choose to spend money on things like eating out and travel.
>>
>>68775120
God i hate that
>hurr millennials are lazy
Thanks to practically everything we worked for being worthless this day in age aside from engineering degrees and such. This whole system is a joke, my dad didnt even go to college and pulls in 6 figures, if i skipped college i would be fucking homeless. Hell i'll probably be homeless after i graduate. I dont want a fucking handout, i just want the same opportunities my parents had
>>
>>68775343
Canadian shitposting is the worst. A fixed rate loan means it literally cannot change contractually.
>>
>>68775222
Sounds great
>>
>>68771371
The market is going to crash again soon, for real though.
If you're already in, you're in, so hold on to your butt, but I can understand why people (like, literally in the past 3 months) don't want to start paying mortgage yet.
>>
>>68775293
>beta cuck who can't negotiate detected
Why so jelly of my all inclusive 900/month rent? In a downtown core area?
>>
>>68771371
>can't move easily
This is a fair issue though. Many people in their 20s have no clue if they'll be living in the same place 2 years from now. I have a decent job, but I don't have a goddamn clue if I'll be laid off in the next few years and this is normal for people in many industries.
>>
>>68775470
>Canada cuck who lives in some shithole like Saint John, NB detected

Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>68775403
Of course, goy! It never changes! Don't worry about your bills! You won't have to worry about falling into debt!
>>
>>68775343
Fucking leafs are terrible at shitposting. Will some fucking Aussie come in here and show the leaf how it's done? Fucking hell...
>>
>>68775556
Nice try jelly meistro. I live in Toronto.
>>
>>68775538
Why not rent out the house if you have to move? Rent it to some other cuck millennial who is too scared to buy
>>
>>68775573
Get trig'd brosef
>>
>>68774369
>Overpopulation.
Is a meme. A modernized version of "yellow peril".

>Running out of fossil fuels.
Fire up those thorium reactors, then!

>>68773593
>>68774087
You are both wrong. "Laziness" is just a simple adaptation to the society. SVT (the swedish state television) had a meme show about the "lazy" kids. Reality is far more complicated.

Not a perfect translation, but you get the gist of it:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressen.se%2Fledare%2Fung--chanslos%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Old Economy Steve could just pick up the phone and get a job.
>>
File: 1458675963097.jpg (515 KB, 976x642) Image search: [Google]
1458675963097.jpg
515 KB, 976x642
>>68770880
I'm a millenial and I own a home and rent two other plus a duplex. 25 years old, Austin TX.

inb4 yes I'm californian
>>
>>68775606
That's how I know you're making shit up, given Toronto's market right now.
>>
>>68771852
>a house costs around 100k
Maybe in Groningen. A house costs 160k minimum in the Randstad, and even then you have a tiny box.
>>
>>68770880
Planning to buy in a few years.

>will be earning about $50k myself doing cozy work at Costco
>houses in area I'm looking at are like $150-200k

That's before I even consider what income my wife will have once she's finished her PhD.
>>
>>68775363
No houses for rent in the area, just apartments. 2 bedroom would be 470$ a month. With a 30 year fixed mortgage on the house it would be around 400.
>>
>>68775164
I would join the military before uni
If you get killed before you learn shit then of well bad luck
Also fuck a bunch on whores doing it.
>>
>>68775606
That or you're a peasant fucking Arab living in subsidized housing
>>
File: 1455857634654.jpg (162 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
1455857634654.jpg
162 KB, 1024x681
>>68775680
>tfw someone is so jelly of you they think you're making it up

Such a great feel
>>
>>68775613
Because being a landlord is fucking shitty, and I would much rather have my money growing in investments for no effort at all than having to manage millennial tenants that damage property.
>>
>>68775756
wouldn't fuck it's 4am here I'm drunk
>>
>>68775786
I work at a bank and make more than triple my rent every month. Living the dream.
>>
>>68775756
If you do it after uni you can go to OCS, OTC etc. Bigger paycheck, better choices. But like i said i honestly dont care if i die anymore, i feel like im in a fucking hole and the economy isnt really getting better.
>>
Im 23 (started college late) and working in a nursing degree. I will be hired by the hospital I train at after graduation and have a starting salary of 55,000 (I live in TN, so everything down here is cheaper, cost if living is 20,000). Hospital will pay for my masters ten hire me as practitioner for 85,000/yr +

85,000 year TN is equivalent to 120,000 in California.

Tfw can buy a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house for under 200,000.

Tfw no dindu packs within 50 miles

Tfw girlfriend doesn't have to work, can actually be a woman and raise children.
>>
>>68775879
Hire a property manager, takes all the work out of it - you pay 10%, and they deliver checks to you monthly. Get a 1 month security deposit to cover potential damage.
>>
>>68775606
So your $900 all inclusive means you rent a room in a 4 bedroom house.

toppest lel
>>
>>68773250

that's what you get for living in a bible belt-tier shithole.
>>
>>68776018
>house
>downtown Toronto core
think again, bud
>>
>>68775732

sounds like a steal but I am not super familiar with Texas prices. Definitely worth if you don't care about making money and you just want to live there
>>
>>68775924
>$900 rent
>"make more than triple"

Congrats on making under $3000 CAD/month, you must feel super rich, peasant.
>>
>>68775949

Tfw young and healthy will have wife 8 years younger than me (before she is peer pressured to fuck the college football team by sorority girls) one day.
>>
>>68775949
Nice job anon.
>>
>>68774558

this. Bank of America just started a first time buyers program a couple months ago as well that lets you put down only 3% without having to pay mortgage insurance for a conventional loan. it's piss easy to buy right now and rates are low.
>>
>>68776018
Exactly. This guy is a complete faggot.
>>
>>68775174

The only reason Boomers are such a joke is because they're the last generation to be guided by what they see on TV. They're very uninformed compared to millennials (even the shit for brains bern-outs) so they don't even understand that all the policies they previously pushed for made it impossible for the next generation to succeed. They sold out the labor movement that made the post-war era so profitable for the average person in order to get cheap shit Made in China.

I've had boomers say how the sweatshop child worker in ching-chong land is grateful for the opportunity to work at a sweatshop. I'm so glad you're so morally bankrupt that as long as child labor isn't happening in front of you it's fine. Fucking MAGA bitches.
>>
File: 1454116975652.png (6 KB, 401x367) Image search: [Google]
1454116975652.png
6 KB, 401x367
>>68776097
>under $3000
I love how you keep hoping for stuff but the world doesn't give it to you.
>>
>>68772502
Just think. By the time we are retired we wont even be paying for them anymore. We will live like kangz n sheit.

If you dont have a plan in place to not be paying rent or mortgage by the age of 60 you are fucked
>>
>>68775613
Because it's a hassle to be a landlord or sell the house to another, it's a lot of manhours that not everyone wants to deal with. At least in my city, buying is barely cheaper than renting - although I know this is not the case everywhere. If I was garaunteed that I'd be living in my city 5 years from now, I'd buy tomorrow; I'm an educated professional and make good money for a good company, however the job market in my area of the country is really unstable. There are mass hirings and mass firings all the time, even among techs, engineers, lawyers, accountants and other professionals. Even guys with 15 years at a company aren't safe, so me with less than 5 could be mere weeks away from being laid off.
>>
File: 1450403707362.jpg (126 KB, 1092x1037) Image search: [Google]
1450403707362.jpg
126 KB, 1092x1037
>people still think they`re Monopoly money won`t be worthless a few years from now
>>
>>68776011
Real estate isn't something you can get into without a lot of knowledge. Besides, there will be another housing crash soon.
>>
>>68776228
Again - hire a property manager.
>>
>>68776296
I own a few businesses so it's no big deal to me
>>
>>68776296
Plus it's not like I'm saying be some crazy speculator - I'm saying if you can't sell, rent it out. You get the asset, cash flow, and tenants paying for the equity.
>>
>>68776097
you keep changing your standards every time he replies
>>
File: bait.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>68770880

why cant milenlalis dur

why cant milnelialisl hur dur

hurr durr

why dont milnenlailsl?????

OP posted once. These are posted daily.
Another slide/bait/bot thread full of responses. Good job, faggots.
>>
>>68776085
Give us the street then. Or the name of the building. Stump up Mr. Living the Dream.
>>
>>68771289
Millennial here. I don't really have a home because my job travels so much, I chose it because I wouldn't need a home. And yea all I really spend my money on is women. Paying for dates and just paying whores directly
>>
>>68776252
>they`re
>>
>>68770880

Show us "her" penis, faggot
>>
>>68771371

What you listed are my fears exactly.
Buy a small piece of land and 4 walls, for what? So i can confine myself to one tiny corner of the earth, in close proximity to a job I might want to just fucking quit one day, and spend the next several decades of my life paying it off? Why. My parents did this. My grandparents did this. Their lives are not something I want to emulate.
By the time my grandparents retired they were financially well off, but so what? They were old and already starting to get sick. The last 10 years of their blissful retirement has been weekly trips to the doctors and hoping the elevator in their appartment building doesnt break because they cant use the stairs.

The mortgage/wagecuck dream is dead. Millenials know this. They spend recklessly on enjoying life while theyre young. If theyre old and broke later on, so what. Life is lived in youth. Once youre old, its just waiting to die.

Theres always the 9mm retirement plan know what i mean?
>>
>>68776496
Most people here are millennials so i dont understand why we even bring it up, seriously the age range is 18-35
>>
>>68776492
>give me your personal info
Why the fuck would I do that? I'm already revelling in the glory of your jellies. I have everything I want now.
>>
>>68774601
>>68774667
At least in spain it's extremely common for everyone aged 30+ to have his own house.
>>
>>68775452

>live in Boston
>never suffered from 2008 housing crash, housing pumped up by Chinese money
>walk down any street, tons of "condo for sale" signs up, scaffolding and work permits in the windows of other buildings
>meanwhile, sales volume has hit a multi-year low

Yep, definitely not a bubble! Remember: housing can only go up, goyim! :^)

I'm holding onto cash so I can take advantage of the foolhardy monetary policy that just rekindled a new bubble instead of allowing the market to reach equilibrium.
>>
>>68776018

you must live in some landlocked shithole/suburb. in any respectable city $900 for rent is about average. i pay $725 outside boston and that's on the cheap side (but we get what we pay for, the place needs serious work)

or, more likely, your parents are your "roommates" kek
>>
I'm German, so renting is always insanely cheap compared to buying a house. The apartment that costs 1500$ in an US city is 500$ in a German one.

Houses aren't compatible with the modern job market. If I buy one now, I might have to commute two hours a day in a couple years, or might have to choose between a job with shit pay, and one that is too far away.
And nobody rents a house here. People who can afford that just buy or build one with the 1.5-3% interest rates.

Many young people just don't make enough money to be able to afford a house, real wages have been slowly falling for more than a decade, and that primarily affects people who enter the job market, as it's customary to pay people based on years of experience rather than raw skill, and many older people have ancient contracts that give them all kinds of privileges that nobody would get anymore.
>>
>>68771371
>not living with your parents till they die
>>
>>68776461
With that said? What should be done? Is a global New Deal viable?
>>
>>68776693

did you just move here? real estate is cyclical, but boston is and has been one of the most resilient markets for basically a century. it's literally impossible to make a bad investment here if you are buying something within say 20 miles of the city.
>>
>>68776692
When you go immediately from living with parents to house ownership, it's a lot easier.
>>
>>68776693
>of the foolhardy monetary policy
Elaborate?
>>
I'm a millennial (27) living in Seattle - the average home price here is 500k+. I have 60k saved up. I would love to buy a home, but want to put 20% down. I do worry about the market, though. We're rapidly becoming the next bay area. Not sure if I should buy the moment I have ~100k, or if I should hold off and wait for some catastrophic market crash ...

At the end of the day, for young folks, the housing market really seems to cater to couples who have joint incomes (unless you're single and have a high salary). Just the way the world's heading, I guess: two parents, both work, no time for kids. I blame to feminist "women rights to work" movement for flooding the labor pool, bringing down the average wage, destroying the nuclear family, and inflating the cost of living (because now "normal" households have two income streams)
>>
>>68776804

are you retarded, sven?
>>
gen xers cant afford to buy a home. fuck millennials
>>
>>68776713
Sure. I could rent a 1 bedroom place for about $900 where I live.

The difference here is this guy says he's paying that in downtown Toronto. It's kinda like saying he's got a sweet brownstone in NYC and he pays about $1,200 for it. It's fantasy or he's living in an absolutely shitty place...or sharing.

>>68776677
TIL a street name is personal info.

Yep you're bullshitting and we all know it.
>>
>>68776677
Aka you live in the basement and pay rent with either multiple roommates or your parents. Everyone's on to your bullshit.
>>
>>68776905
Word, family ties seem to be very different in some other countries from what I've gathered.
Still, nowadays with kids going to university by default it's more common that the period where a young man would be earning money and living with his family is replaced by renting or living in a campus.

But afterwards the trend is still very directed towards owning your own home.
>>
>>68777232
Front Street. 5 minute walk from the CN tower.

Stay jelly brosef.
>>
>>68776846

>but boston is and has been one of the most resilient markets for basically a century

That is why you should be cautious. Once you hear everyone saying how "safe" the market is it's time to get fearful. Past results are not indicative of future returns.

Tightening of Chinese capital flight, construction boom, and the average person bragging about how they're a mogul for selling their Southie triple decker are all warning signs of a bubble. Just don't buy in on the top, the Boston economy is literally propped up by government policy regarding healthcare extortion and MIC overproduction of flashy toys.
>>
>>68777395
>Frantically searched google maps for something close
>>
I mean, come on guys, I know I'm making you feel really bad about your financial decisions with my great life, but there's no need to take it out on me. I'm one of you! Just a little bit smarter, that's all! :^)
>>
File: 1453169834555.jpg (87 KB, 554x385) Image search: [Google]
1453169834555.jpg
87 KB, 554x385
>>68770880
My Grandfather left me and my sister enough to pay a mortgage deposit. She and her husband have a house now but I'm still sitting with £52k burning through my pocket because I can't hold a decent job.
>>
>>68771887
this is a good video
>>
>>68777024
>name calling
Yeah, use your christianity that you don't believe in and banning mothers from abort downie children. It will work just fine.
>>
>>68775452
I have 100K waiting for the crash for 2 years now
If I buy now it will be a shitty home
Should I wait? how long?

Anon this is a lot of money here please give me a nice answer
>>
>>68777364
Honestly why so many millennials feel they have to move out and struggle is beyond me. I have known so many people in their 20s living on their own, going to school full time, working part-time and just being drowned by so much debt.
>>
>>68777624
next crash in 2019
>>
>>68777232
>or sharing.

that's usually how roommate situations work.

also it's quite possible that he lives in a building that is rent-controlled, even using your NYC example that is pretty common and i personally know of at least 3 people who got awesome deals living in/near manhattan in rent-controlled buildings.
>>
>>68777395
Cool story. There's literally nothing on Front Street for 900 all inclusive unless you're actually living under someones staircase.

People wishing to confirm can just look at padmapper and type in Front Street, Toronto and see.

Basically this guy lives with like 3 other people or his parents own a place and are giving him an ultra cheap rent while he toils away in his crappy underpaid bank job.
>>
>>68772386
People have no idea how common this is for boomers in Australia. Every single boomer I know that bought a house is sorted for life now because of it. Here's just a few:
>Country Victoria north of Melbourne 13 acres. Shitty 2bedroom 1986 $30,000. Today $370,000
>Country Victoria north of Melbourne 10 acres, 4 bedroom and creek. 1988: $40,000 Today $570,000
>Melbourne Camberwell average 4 bedroom brick home1974: $60,000 Today 1.7million.

Do you know what kind of Jobs these people had while paying of their homes? Completely ordinary ones. Cleaner, Nurse, Farmhand. Single income.
Those are just the ones I know of first hand. I heard of even wilder wins. People who owned double-blocks close to the city in Hawthorn and Kew.
>>
>>68777598

you're retarded, sven
>>
>>68777395
Yeah, you're a complete liar. I'm no expert, but I'm aware of the housing prices in Toronto.
>>
>>68777688

It could be sooner or later but yea about that time
>>
I don't know.. could it be because of horrible economic policies the last two decades?
>>
>>68777765
>>68777752
Both of you need to get an agent and learn to negotiate.
>>
>>68770880
>Why can't millennials afford to buy a home?
Isn't because the economy sucks right now?OP, I'd like to know too.Is it because millennials are degenerate and don't want to work at all?
>>
File: 1393634604073.jpg (43 KB, 362x582) Image search: [Google]
1393634604073.jpg
43 KB, 362x582
>>68776655
Aus or not, I agree with more or less your entire post.
>>
>>68777445

a 100+ year trend is about as safe as it gets. and speaking of southie, my cousin bought a 2-family there ~2 years ago for just over 600k and it's already appreciated $200k+. they collect a silly amount of rent from their tenants.

boston will just keep gentrifying. i'm a north shore guy myself, somerville/cambridge are already long gentrified, medford is more or less there already and now melrose/wakefield is going nuts. the only areas that arent great investments (arguably) are the "immigrant landing spots" like malden/everett/revere/lynn, and even then it's likely that one or all of those will eventually go off in the coming years.
>>
>>68777857
Please, give us all the name of someone who gets you rent for 900 bucks in downtown TO.

>inb4 someone elses name is personal information

Your a good enough baiter to get replies but in reality it's a 4/10 tale you're spinning.
>>
>>68777688
>>68777800
I want a market crash to buy a nice home
Are there some anons that are waiting too?
How long?
>>
>>68770880
liberalism
agenda 21
soros
>>
I'm waiting for all the boomers to die or move into nursing homes so the housing market can come back down to real value before I buy in. The market will crash again so I'm spending my money on gold and guns since they hold their value.
>>
>>68778028
At this point all any of you have as a defence is: "y-you're making it up!". Just like the libs and their Trump-Hitler.

Have fun with that mortgage goyim!
>>
Problem is these kids don't actually want to work.

I worked as a grocery store stocker for a few years in college. Paid shit but you know what? It paid.

Saved up the proceeds along with some other money I had and bought a rural property outright. No loan, no nothing. Now I'm protected for life.
>>
>>68778228
You're protected from ever getting a good job by living in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Enjoy making 10 burgs an hour driving tractors for the rest of your life.
>>
>>68777862
alot of people question what's the point in work.
our parents used to be able to get a nice job right out of fucking high school, then after a few years they could buy a goddamn house. Raise a family just a few years later, NOT have the wife divorce and take everything. Basically shit was flat out better.
now even if you get to college you are not guaranteed shit, women are fucking sluts and will break up and take your shit at the drop of a fucking hat. Claiming rape in the process. There are no fucking jobs, what jobs do exist are being taken by 3rd worlders, and we are becoming a minority in our own fucking country, something the Boomers never had to worry about.
>>
Oh as an added bonus to this conversation, I have a lady friend that lives in a rent controlled apartment on University and Adelaide and she pays $400 all inclusive per month.

I MUST BE MAKING IT UP!!!
>>
>>68771513
Owning property is not an investment? Wha the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>68777981

30% appreciation in 2 years is the definition of a bubble...

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Obamacare being a blank check subsidy to the healthcare industry that drives the Boston economy :^).
>>
>>68778102

I am not really waiting (could be waiting a decade) but when it happens I plan to have extra cash to go in. I usually watch the market intensively for 6 months before I commit to anything
>>
>>68773050
>I think men could 'survive' the tech-comfort toys and still build wealth and raise families in spite of such distractions. Feminism on the other hand is societal poison and its especially effective against white males. It annihilates drive and ambition.
>>
>>68778340

while that is true, he still has somewhat of a point. the problem is not everyone is content to be a pathetic supermarket manager for their entire life like a total beta.
>>
>>68777624
>Should I wait? how long?
For your own home? I'm hovering around the same amount of savings as you, and I've been waiting to sink it into handyman species to fix and rent out.
Personally I'll be waiting until 1 year from now.
With the current, ridiculous, negative mortgage loan(they are literally paying people to take out unpayable house loans), the crash will either happen soon, will become undeniably evident soon, or simply won't happen.
365 days, that is how long I would wait if I were you. In your situation though, you will only either get your new home at current cost, or cheaper - if you want the house now, get it, and who cares if you could have said 15k 6 months later. Sometimes it's better to just get to where you want to be in life and not cut coupons, it's your happiness at the end of the day.
>>
>>68778580

massachusetts has had the equivalent of the ACA for much longer than obamacare has been around. seriously, how old are you?
>>
>>68777755
Cuck, cuck, cuck, why does the american economy suck?

It was one Trump and one Bernie and one Hillary.

One was drunk one was old and one was plain retarded.
One was drunk one was old and one was plain retarded.

Cuck, cuck, cuck, militarlized police in a truck.

They are there to wage war against drugs and niggers.
They are there to wage war against drugs and niggers.
>>
>>68771371
Not all bullshit. I'm watching my family still get fucked over from the housing crash. Now they want to sell and rent because as it stands they'll never pay off thier mortgage by retirement. Everything is unstable, market, job, and of course my own ideas of where I want to settle.
>>
>>68778340
Sounds simple and easy.
>>
>>68778639
I'm not content with living the rest of my life as a wage slave. Cities have better jobs with higher pay, which allows you to reach retirement sooner. I would much rather live in an apartment for 10 years doing a desk job than to drive a tractor all day for 50 years.
>>
>>68778205
You've not really provided anything to suggest you're not making it up.

Post some timestamped pics of your rent receipts or give us the actual building name. That's not personal info but it'll prove you're not a bullshitter

>inb4 why would I spend time doing that.

well you've spent the last half hour posting shit without any time constraint concern. pony up gord.
>>
>>68778686

You are aware that the biggest growth industry in Boston is healthcare related tech? Healthcare IT, healthcare devices, etc. that benefit from a nationwide subsidy instead of a statewide subsidy which only helps care centers.

I'm sure before the decade is out you'll be on /pol/ complaining about how the jews popped the housing market and you're underwater on a huge mortgage for a 2BR condo in murderpan.

Just remember: housing is the best investment and only goes up :^).
>>
>>68778728
It's not as bad as you think it is. Lot's of families got fucked by shitty mortgages. Don't let your parents failures instill fear in you

But you shouldn't just yolo it either. I'm sure you'll be fine
>>
>>68773085
>Its horrible. Their 'way of life' is more secure than than the lower working classes who have to operate in the free market.
Unless SHTF, no-one is going to turn off the gibs. No one is going to put Shoshana and here 3 kids from 3 different men onto the street.
>>
>>68777624
Oh, I didn't even notice the flag though. I have no advice for you Peru, America is facing another mortgage bubble, I can't imagine it would affect you. Congrats on the new home anon.
>>
>>68778346
THIS.Society needs reform right now.
>>
>>68770880
Decades of artificially inflating home prices.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.