[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4
File: frustration.jpg (43 KB, 1012x848) Image search: [Google]
frustration.jpg
43 KB, 1012x848
Why are there life sentences for prison?

Even if the person learns their lesson, they're still not gonna get out and still will demand funds to keep them fed and whatnot.

Why not just killing them?
>>
to segregate dangerous people from society
>>
>>68610584

But why do they keep them alive if they're literally going to stay there until they die?
>>
>>68610457
It's actually more expensive to go through with the death penalty.
>>
>>68610457

Life sentences aren't always life setences. In UK a life sentence is minimum of 25 years AFAIK, and then there's a chance that they will consider releasing you.

I might be wrong about minimum years though, and it's much more complicated than how I described, but just to put it in perspective.
>>
>>68610701
It doesn't have to be though. Remove all the legal and bureaucratic nonsense. How much is a bullet?
>>
>>68610859

>Remove all the legal and bureaucratic nonsense
>what is law
>>
>>68610701
How so? That sounds like it couldn't possibly be true.
>>
>>68610681
because they don't want to execute the convicted. it's bold to execute people for crimes, so politicians have naturally shied away from the death penalty over the past century.
>>
>>68610995
I didn't say abolish all laws, fuckwit. You have to change the law so that people don't sit in prison going though the appeals process for a decade before they are executed.
>>
>>68610701
Only because of the legal proceedings, which are there as a safeguard to mitigate against wrongful executions.

And to answer OP, it's very hard to prove with absolute certainty (100%) that the accused not only committed the crimes in question, but that society would be better served by legally murdering them than to lock them away from the general public.

Personally, I'm for the death penalty, but given how easily it's been used to put innocent people on death row, I believe that it should be abolished.
>>
>>68611267
How can you be for it and want it abolished at the same time?
>>
>>68611242

Easier said than done, cunt.
>>
>>68611017
Appeals, lots of extra fun litigation, expert witnesses etc. Try their hardest to ensure they don't execute an innocent man, and even when they do it still happens.

Lock them up and let them live the rest of their days in a shithole imo. Death's an easy way out.
>>
>>68611242
So you'd rather kill innocent people to save some money? How Jewish of you.
>>
Death penalty is stupid and pointless

Plus it costs more
>>
>>68610859
The bureaucracy is like a secret check on all government power. Whenever the government tries to do something they have to fight themselves just to get it done. It is one of the reasons I believe that governments are not to be given much power, since their function is inherently limited due to the bureaucracy. The bureaucracy keeps the government from being too efficient, because when the government becomes too efficient rights are easier to get rid of.
>>
>>68611017
approved drugs, machines and testing, panel of witnesses, paperwork, specialized employees, it goes on and on.
>>
File: 1453650060186.jpg (145 KB, 660x751) Image search: [Google]
1453650060186.jpg
145 KB, 660x751
>>68610701
That's the part I never understand with you Americans, how is a, frankly, ridiculously expensive lethal injection, better than a bullet to the brain, in any way shape or form.
>>
>>68611391
doesn't have to cost more

bring back hangings, just need a rope and a high place to tie it
>>
>>68611414
a relative perspective of "humane" and "inhumane"
>>
>>68610457
Killing people is a bad thing.
>>
>>68611489
How is it more humane to sedate him with drugs and slowly make a mans heart stop, better than sedating him with drugs and shooting him!?
>>
File: 1448495088521.jpg (14 KB, 191x150) Image search: [Google]
1448495088521.jpg
14 KB, 191x150
Criminals should be hung in the streets. It makes people think twice about their life decisions and instills fear of the government.

Caught dealing hard drugs = hung
Murder someone = hung
Pedophile who raped a kid = hung

Less severe cases should result in slave labor condition work camps. If you don't comply, you are hung.
>>
>>68611351
>>68611382
>>68611398
I think it should be reserved for excessively bad crimes, like mass shooters and stuff, plus there should be enough evidence so that there is no question that they're guilty.
>>
>>68611267
>>68611391
>>68611221

But isn't life sentence just a really long and drawn out death sentence? You're really just making that person spend their entire life in a place they can't get out of and where they will invariably die, instead of just killing them in a humane way up front.
>>
>>68611309
How stupid do you have to be to not understand?

- I believe that some animals should be put to death because their actions were so heinous that they're beyond redemption

- In order to do so, you have to leave open the possibility that some innocents will be wrongfully murdered.

- Ergo, leaving the death penalty as an option is morally unjustifiable.

Understand yet?
>>
>>68611414
I dont know, its pretty dumb
>>68611592
nothing wrong with killing murders
>>
>>68611606
How fucking retarded are you that you think injection is expensive
>>
because they might be innocent

it happens often enough to be a concern
>>
>>68611606
It comes down to the (misguided) notion that there is less pain and suffering involved.
>>
>>68611677
Collateral.
No life is a special snowflake.
Margin of error is still marginal.
>>
>>68611752
It is expensive though. I guess you are pretty ignorant on the subject
>>
>>68611414
I know. Choose between 19-29 bullets or a mix of drugs that will SUPPOSEDLY numb your senses before slowly killing you. Which seems quicker and easier? Shit is retarded. I know I'd much rather go out with a blindfold and a smoke than the other way.
>>
>>68611391
>death penalty costs more

Bullets are pretty cheap, m8.

3 meals a day, room and board is expensive, specially at for profit prisons.

It's a waste of tax money to keep them alive. It's not like an ex con ever amounted to anything worthwhile afterwards.
>>
>>68611752
How fucking retarded are you, that expense is a talking point in a damn execution.
>>
>>68611623
Fuck off the West ain't Soviet Russia.
>>
>>68611828
then they shouldnt be sentenced to life in prison to begin with
>>
>>68611845
I just want to die and be away from you absolute morons
>hurr it's the execution itself that's expensive
>>
>>68611592

>Killing you would be bad, so instead I'm going to make you live in a small confinement with people as bad as you or worse. Rest assured there's no way you could ever leave this place, no matter how much you repent.
>>
>Why not just killing them?
That's more expensive than a life sentence.

No, really.
>>
False convictions are a thing. You can't pardon a corpse.
>>
>>68610457
we should not only kill them but we should hang them on crosses.
>>
>>68612013
yes, but it shouldnt be. The amount of appeals people get these days is insane. If you are convicted of a murder full of DNA evidence then you should just be executed within a year
>>
>>68611677
>I'm for the death penalty
>I believe that it should be abolished
Shit phrasing.
>>
>>68612046
You actually can pardon a corpse.

That's shit that happens.
>>
>>68611842
Until it happens to you or your loved ones, right?
>>
There are countries which have death sentence. Do those have a lower crime rate?

Some countries like the US love to hand out excessively long prison sentences. Did the crime rate drop significantly after introducing the 3rd strike rule?
>>
>>68611946
prison sentences in america are fairly political and often make very little sense if the end goal was just public safety. Most of the time tough sentences are handed out to make DA's look good or make whoever is in office right now look 'tough on crime' for a re-election year.

the system doesn't work but who gives a shit, the only people who lose anything are criminals am I right
>>
>>68610457
"Men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be stolen." -George Savile

Your adverse reaction to the notion of a life sentence is the entire point. Don't commit a crime, especially not one serious enough to warrant a life sentence.
>>
>>68612194
I'm pissed, I die.
Margin of error continues to be marginal.
>>
Two reasons I don't support the death penalty.

1. Certainty of guilt. It's extremely rare that people on death row in the States are later exonerated, but it does happen. The idea of a government sanctioned execution of an innocent person is abhorrent, and the risk of it happening is too great to justify keeping the death penalty.

2. For a genuinely guilty person, particularly those guilty of the most extreme levels of sexual or physical violence, I find a life behind bars is a more fitting punishment than a quick, painless release through death. Given enough time with nothing else to think about, especially if being kept in solitary confinement, I'd like to think that the most depraved criminals eventually come to realize how disgusting they are. Bonus if afterwards their remorse causes their mental health to slowly deteriorate.

Pretty much the only justification I can see for the death penalty is that it's seen as a mercy over a life of solitary confinement and mental degradation. Quite frankly though, I don't believe those guilty of crimes heinous enough to warrant life sentences deserve such mercy.
>>
>>68612161
>The amount of appeals people get these days is insane
We like to be REALLY sure if we're going to execute you (and even then the rate of cockups is unfortunately a bit north of 0%).
>If you are convicted of a murder full of DNA evidence then you should just be executed within a year
The appeals aren't to make sure whether or not you did it. They're to make sure shit like the DNA evidence wasn't planted, your lawyer didn't fuck you, it's basically to triple check everything.
>>
>>68612165
Let me guess. You're just pretending to be retarded because hurr trollolol.
>>
>>68610457
Some times death can be a gift. Its much more fun to torment a man for decades.
>>
>complains about costs
its cost more to money to enact the death penalty you fucking retard
>>
>>68612196
>Did the crime rate drop significantly after introducing the 3rd strike rule?
Yes, but the incarceration rate shot the fuck up like a motherfucker.
>>
File: Wiezien_ulicy_zawsze_2435253.jpg (28 KB, 440x296) Image search: [Google]
Wiezien_ulicy_zawsze_2435253.jpg
28 KB, 440x296
>>68610681
Because there is always a chance of amnesty or revolution that will set criminals free. They can be also useful during wars. You will do what we tell you and we will shorten your sentence for that.
There is also this thing called free slave labor.
Niggers in prisons work for the government, you know? You need to put as many people in prisons as possible to make them work for nothing for the owner or the Gov.

tldr, it's about the money
>>
My dad's in prison for life. Sure he's a cocksucker but it's also nice to talk to him occasionally. Mos def don't want him dead.
>>
>>68612529
I'm just saying, you must see why I thought it was an odd way to word it. You're the one who started with the insults and condescension.
>>
>>68612467

More likely they are still fapping to the last crime they committed.

So long as a man can eat and fap he's pretty happy.
Need to castrate or smth imo.
>>
>>68612634
>Niggers in prisons work for the government,
Does Indonesia not have private prisons?
>>
>>68610457

There should be a prison island that lifers and long timers can be banished to. They essentially just get left on the island and told "look stay here, if you try to leave we kill you" and they just get the run of the island.

Like australia but better.
>>
>>68612648
what did he do?
>>
>>68612720
No, we make them work for free for the Government. They clean streets, build shit et cetera.
>>
>>68612529
To elaborate, when someone says they are 'for' the death penalty, I think they are referring to a governmental policy, not to the concept itself, in the abstract.
>>
>>68610457
PRIVATIZED JAIL INDUSTRY
Gotta keep making them monies. Also government keep them in hand if they ever need human test subjects and such. Wonder when are they going to use them on medicine test subject and as collision test dummies. They just need to write them of the list

>>68611483
>>68611752
>>68611845
>>68611902
Changes of executors turning to mental mess or mass murderer is way higher than in normal population. Because it negates everything we believe in free countries by killing our countryman.
>>
>>68612648
I'd like to know what he did too.
Also, I thought you were Taiwan for a second there. Nice rareflag.
>>
>>68612429
How marginal is it though? Once someone has exhausted their appeals and is executed, nobody bothers to review their cases anymore to see if new technology or additional evidence might have exhonorated them. The only cases we hear about are the ones that were fixed before the wrongly accused were murdered by the state. Probability would dictate that some of the people who have already been executed were in fact innocent as well.
>>
>>68610457
It's a deterrent. If people know there's a chance that they'd rot in prison, they'd be less likely to commit crimes that warrants a life sentence.

Although I'm more for the death penalty. Some may not be as terrified with the prospect of being imprisoned for the rest of their lives, but the prospect of dying may scare them more, especially if it's the kind that's gruesome like a firing squad.

Execution by firing squad is cheaper than lethal injection (humane, but expensive) or the electric chair (inhumane and expensive). Hanging would also be nice, as it is inexpensive, but it's inhumane. The instant death delivered by a firing squad would be humane and it would be cheap because it only requires a few bullets shot into vital areas (brain and heart).
>>
>>68613169
What about the guillotine?
>>
all murderers and drug dealers should hang. No exceptions
>>
>>68610701
Bullets or rope can't cost that much.
>>
>>68613098
Just by the marginality of life sentences (remember we are arguing life against death sentence) I'd say it's VERY damn low. The question ultimately falls on weather you think it is EVER justified to kill a person. And I say yes
>>
"Because it is not "human" to kill other humans" said some feminist run organisations.

This planet is already over populated, it would only be better for the planet & society.
>>
>>68611414
As far as I'm aware, the execution method isn't what's super expensive, it's the years of court cases re-verifying that they deserve death before they're executed.

Yet even then the system still kills innocent people sometimes. The whole thing sucks. I mean, honestly, if you can't avoid killing innocents just do away with killing them, especially since it's cheaper that way.
>>
>>68610681
Because technically they can still work and be productive but are too dangerous to be left in society.
>>
>>68611642
You can incriminate people with that, politicians or other powerful people can start using it to silence people they don't like in a legal way.
>>
>>68610457
Because autism
>>
>>68610457
kill them immediately. it cost less.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.