[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is depressing. I'm not sure what the case is in Europe,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 1458782944821.jpg (104 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458782944821.jpg
104 KB, 640x640
This is depressing. I'm not sure what the case is in Europe, but in the US, 99% of elementary teachers are retarded sluts with no marketable skills and no talent, so they went to college because they "love kids" and want to teach.

I've fucked about 4-6 stupid sluts on campus at parties, black out drunk, who have told me they were education majors. They're too fucking stupid to learn anything more complicated than algebra or "hurr in 1776 the US was born and in 1861 there was a big war" so they just fuck and suck their way through 4 years to get a piece of paper that says they're qualified to teach 8 year olds that 2+2=4.

If you see a female teacher who teaches any grade lower than 9th in the US, and she's under 35, there is a 99.999% chance she is a stupid whore who is dumber than a box of rocks and has no problem filling your child's head with nonsense and wasting 20% of class time talking about her day and complaining about how her new boyfriend dumped her so all her students can bloat her ego by telling her she's pretty and the bestest person in the whole wide world and make her feel better about the fact that she doesn't have any children of her own because she wasted the best years of her life being a worthless cumdumpster passed around from guy to guy instead of staying faithful to the one guy who actually gave a shit about her I hope you're happy Sarah you filthy fucking whore
>>
>>68608100
Revenge pics of Sarah?
>>
>>68608100
Don't get upset bro. Just wait for the day of rope and all will be well.
>>
>>68608100
Dat picture tho. There has to be a context for this where the entire test is about trick questions or being creative with math.
This isn't even about being dumb, that test straight up fucks with the kids. It can be traumatising to some kids trying to be honest and fair.
>>
fix your education system dummies

maybe try building a wall to keep all the rapists away so they stop raping your teachers and then your education will surely get better
>>
File: 1455856600273.png (205 KB, 528x668) Image search: [Google]
1455856600273.png
205 KB, 528x668
>>
>>68608899

"making 10s" is one of the techniques employed in early math instruction to teach students how to comprehend two-digit numbers.

to someone who is just learning, 8+5 (which in their minds are just symbols, not abstract concepts) does not intuitively equal 13, the student must first comprehend place value. a kid can see that 5 has a 2 in it, add that 2 to 8 and you make a 10. You then have 3 left over, and 10 + 3 is 13.

it's just a way to teach basic addition. it might look weird to us but we probably did some variation of it while we were in school and just beginning to learn addition
>>
>>68609167
now this is just ridiculous
>>
>>68609167
Fucking lol
>>
File: 1403175463990.jpg (64 KB, 541x960) Image search: [Google]
1403175463990.jpg
64 KB, 541x960
>>68609240
>"making 10s"
They're called "friendly numbers" now
>>
>>68608899
>There has to be a context for this where the entire test is about trick questions or being creative with math.
The way math addition/subtraction works in common core is that you first want to make a multiple of 10

The question isn't saying 8 + 5 = 10, it's asking how you would do that first step.
>>
>>68609240
Fug, i knew america was regressing. Here the teachers are pretty good, they are mostly single, not very exciting women, but damn are they good at their jobs, the kids love em. Oin grade 1 here the kids get aquainted with basic afdition and substraction. In grade 2 they learn tens and the table of multiplication and learn division. In grade 3 and 4 they learn to add and substract in thousands and can perform.the basic functions like 100+264/2+93-55+9*5
>>
File: 1402887649783.jpg (115 KB, 590x768) Image search: [Google]
1402887649783.jpg
115 KB, 590x768
>>
>>68609240
>>68609362
This has to be an american thing. When I was at that level of math education the math tests didn't complicate things anywhere near that much. We were just taught the basics and we were given simple equations to solve.
What you guys are describing is a technique where the test requires the student to think in a very specific, abstract way to even comprehend the test. In our education system the students were given more freedom in the way they got to the final conclusion. We could even count on our fingers, if that helped. The teacher discouraged it, but didn't prevent it.
Teaching very basic mathematics with such abstract thinking doesn't seem right. I'm starting to change my mind on this and agree with OP. It has to be some dumb whore cunt in a power position not comprehending that kids can have different way of thinking. Actively trying to destroy that reeks of ignorance. Even fascist-like cramschool systems in asia allow more creativity. No wonder minorities do poorly in your school system.
>>
>>68609336
>Prime numbers become unfriendly numbers
>Multiplications are now Get-together parties
>Divisions are now Ostracization of undesireds
>>
>>68610139
T-this is from a special needs class, r-right?
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-24+at+01.09.11).png (76 KB, 992x972) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-24+at+01.09.11).png
76 KB, 992x972
asian here, American education is in decline thanks to SJWs and no child left behind.
Pic related is my grade school hw.
>>
>>68610139
Fucking hell. This actually makes shit harder to understand.
>>
>>68610139
This is how you do math problems quickly in your head without keeping track of five places. What's the problem?
>>
File: frauke-petry.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2205) Image search: [Google]
frauke-petry.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2205
>>68610223
>>
>>68609167
>not having the number of rows come first in matrix dimensions

Deserved that -1 to tell the truth.
>>
>>68610704
Actually writing it all down like an invalid. You are supposed to comprehend that much when solving complex math problems.
>>
Go to sleep /r9k/
>>
>>68608100
>>68608100

sounds like my elementary school art teacher
>>
>>68609268
>>68609291
not if that is what they are teaching.
>>
>>68608100
what. why did they take 2 from 5? was that completely random? could they also take 3 from 5 and 7 from 8 to make 10 from 7+3? that picture makes no sense
>>
>>68608100
>If you see a female teacher who teaches any grade lower than 9th in the US, and she's under 35, there is a 99.999% chance she is a stupid whore who is dumber than a box of rocks and has no problem filling your child's head with nonsense and wasting 20% of class time talking about her day and complaining about how her new boyfriend dumped her so all her students can bloat her ego by telling her she's pretty and the bestest person in the whole wide world and make her feel better about the fact that she doesn't have any children of her own because she wasted the best years of her life being a worthless cumdumpster passed around from guy to guy instead of staying faithful to the one guy who actually gave a shit about her I hope you're happy Sarah you filthy fucking whore

this is fucking GOLD thank you OP
>>
>>68608100
Yeah, my cousin did nothing but fuck roided tatted up douchebags and then posted some insane feminist shit on facebook about how slut shaming is wrong and girls should all just be fat asses, and now shes becoming an elementary school teacher

Women make me fucking sick, they are ruining the greatest society ever seen by mankind just to be hedonistic retards

>20% of class time

more like most of it, clearly you graduated atleast a decade ago

>>68609240
>to teach students how to comprehend two-digit numbers.

Yeah, basically, we have a bunch of stupid liberal whores who think niggers are actually human, and so they think its their own fault, the teachers fault they arent explaining it well enough for them to understand, so they waste everyones time trying to let these fucking literal retards catch up to white kids

>>68610194
>not comprehending that kids can have different way of thinking.

No thats the fucking problem. I mean you were right until here. They think african and mexican kids just need to learn a different way, and that they arent clinically retarded

>No wonder minorities do poorly in your school system.

Holy fuck, you idiot, how can you be so close yet so far away

They do poorly fucking everywhere
>>
>>68610704
No its not. That's like 4 steps. You'd be much quicker going 62 + 6 + 20
>>
>>68610704
Fucking use mental abacus instead if you want them to be better in math. That's why Asians are the best calculator
>>
>>68610194

it really depends on the state and county. there are plenty of teachers that encourage alternative ways of approaching problems - "making 10s" is just one technique out of several. good teachers recognize what works for each student and tailor their teaching methods to encourage progress for each individual student.

unfortunately due to budgeting shortfalls and inefficiencies in how education is organized at the federal and state level, there are a lot of conditions in place that push intelligent teachers away while simultaneously bringing in lower quality teachers to fill in gaps in staffing. quality of education can vary widely in the states, which is why so many parents are pretty particular about where they send their kids.

Education in the States does need reform, but it needs to start with staffing problems and student allocation first before tackling curriculum. Standards for teachers need to be higher, and subsequently payment and benefits should be better as well. Money also needs to be allocated intelligently, purchasing functional books and equipment instead of blowing cash on flashy computers and eboards.

Another major issue is the immense amount of time and resources wasted trying to integrate mentally handicapped or behaviorally disordered students with the rest of the class. A class of 30 students can be severely hampered by the presence of just one student with severe behavioral problems, and the time teachers waste trying to get them to work and pay attention is time taken away from all the other students.

it would be better for everyone if these students were placed in their own separate facilities suited to their needs, but due to federal mandates schools are required to provide instruction to even the most fucked up kids. This is why many kids get prescribed ADHD medication - or other meds - just so they can get through the school day without causing too great a disruption. What they need instead are separate schools
>>
This is too funny.
>>
File: 1458720602571.png (36 KB, 1395x259) Image search: [Google]
1458720602571.png
36 KB, 1395x259
>>68611116
it's half old
>>
>>68611276
when i was in third grade i was told to do hundreds of mindnumbing single digit math problems

i didnt want to do them

they told me i was sick and put me on amphetamine for "ADHD", which made me a paranoid strung out mess for the next 5 years

now they're making kids do even stupider math

holy fuck
>>
>>68609167
So what is the teacher trying to say that the order of the integers is important in multiplication ?
>>
File: CeNHGdhVIAAG66U.jpg (49 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
CeNHGdhVIAAG66U.jpg
49 KB, 550x550
i'm a phd student of biology but we have our department mixed with biology-education graduate students too
when we do seminar, it's embarrassing how terrible the education grad students are
>>
>>68611120
I didn't explain it well, but my point was supposed to be that your system discourages different ways of thinking on an individual level. Even if it's an all white class, a good chunk of kids would still struggle to get used to this conveluded way of problem solving, because people tend to have different personalities.
Minorities often have different languages and cultures forming their early identity and thinking structures, so I'd imaging that an education system that's trying to be as PC as it can would be making an effort to help them catching up, but in reality they came up with something that makes them slack behind even more. And the fucked up part is that the classic system (which in Europe we call 'prussian') is doing a better job than the new hippy horeshit. It might not be perfect, but it's still better.
But at the end of the day I too consider minorities clinically retarded, and this system is making things significantly worse for them. Differences aren't the only issue with them. They really are just dumber.

>>68611276
Yeah, organising this shit on a scale as big as your union is pretty tough. Good luck with that!
>>
>>68611622

a proper education program matches itself to the needs of students. if you'd already mastered those problems while the other kids were struggling, then you should've been in an accelerated math group with other similarly talented students and allowed to progress.

the limiter here is the talent and attention of the teaching staff, which is already overburdened dealing with kids who have learning disabilities or behavior problems. Or you have teachers who just don't care or slipped into the system because of lax standards, and lack either the education or the acumen to identify the abilities of their own students. These are the ones likely to recommend medication because they have no other recourse. in some cases it's warranted, but in many cases it is definitely not and you end up with situations like yours where you were not served well by the system.

on the teaching end, you can imagine the frustration many teachers have in trying to convince parents that their kids do have legitimate behavioral problems that impede not only their own learning but that of everyone around them. parents will often be totally oblivious or in denial, even as their kid deliberately disrupts classes, bullies other students, or otherwise engages in harmful behaviors.

teachers can do all they can short of recommending a transfer to a private school - if they admit that the school cannot serve their kid because of their learning disabilities or behavior problems, the school is obligated by law to pay for their private tuition elsewhere.

increase standards for teachers and segregate low-achieving and high-achieving students, and many of these problems would disappear
>>
>>68611885
It took me a second, but that kid has far more "reasonableness" than the cunt who graded this.

This is partly why I don't want to have a kid. I would throttle half of the teachers throughout their education.
>>
>>68611885
Not even a plus for lateral thinking. Fucking hell.
>>
>>68608100

This was a dope post. I bet this'll be submitted into /r/4chan
>>
>>68608100
Nice pasta, faggot
>>
>>68608100
Good sir . I love you . thank you for everything you just said. I wish you love life and good things . you are my hero
>>
>>68608100
Also I haven't done math in english, but that phrasing bothers me for some reason.
>Tell
Is that how they phrased math problems when you were growing up, Americans? The word 'tell' just feels wrong in a written question.
>>
>>68612523
>if you'd already mastered those problems while the other kids were struggling, then you should've been in an accelerated math group with other similarly talented students and allowed to progress.

Yeah, no yeah, i totally am just a lying retard because i wasnt automatically placed in higher math classes for being so amazingly good at doing shit like 5+8=? when i was 7 years old

You people are all fucking idiots, for fucks sake, half the reason i slacked off was because i was put into classes with kids who were all way fucking older and bigger than i was and i wanted to be held back, but i was a fucking little kid and didnt articulate that so i guess i was just a little retard who should get drugged and we should all waste our time catering to clinically retarded niggers who wont amount to anything

>>68612523
>increase standards for teachers and segregate low-achieving and high-achieving students, and many of these problems would disappear

holy fucking shit you all are fucking cancer, god damn, im fucking done, humanity is fucking done, im done wasting my time here, you all make me sick
>>
>>68611885
I'm triggered. Holy fuck I thought it was hard to reason with polish teachers, but at least they had brains in their skulls to begin with.
>>
>>68613057
>segregate low-achieving and high-achieving students

i mean thats a good idea but public school teachers are fucking garbage and do not need or deserve more money
>>
>>68613057

>in many cases [medication is definitely not warranted] and you end up with situations like yours where you were not served well by the system.

the blame is on the teachers for failing to recognize what should work for you
>>
Anyone who is good at teaching math is teaching math in a University. The problem with math curriculums in high schools and lower is that even the teachers don't fully understand the material so they're reliant on cheat sheets and printouts to give to the students.

They should cut the fat, teach the basics and the necessities in mandatory education, and leave the complicated stuff to teachers who actually understand it in higher education. A primary school kid does not need to be learning Pythagoras, and having them taught it by a dumb cunt 20-something who doesn't understand it herself does far more harm than good.
>>
>>68611617
Was funny the first time.
>>
>>68613221
all i fucking wanted was to be left the fuck alone and be with kids my own age and do shit that was actually challenging

i remember doing 2 to the power of 2 up to fucking 8192 in like 2nd grade while this stupid bitch called on me for some stupid shit like "whats 3+5=" and i said what, and me saying what like that is what led to my doctor convincing my parents to drug me up for 5 god damn fucking years

i never even fucking talked to anyone or did a single fucking thing disruptive
>>
top kek I never knew America was literally retarded
>>
>>68610704
the problem is that they're exacly that: weird ass fucking mental tricks everyone gets to learn and use by force of practice and experience

actually writing all that shit down is fucking stupid and confusing, but mostly pointless and inefficient
>>
>>68613381
I feel you. Where i'm at, they have all kinds of kids hopped up on prescribed drugs to make them pay attention and sit still in class. But, then they have these dumbass bitch teachers who don't know or care about what the fuck they're doing any damn way.

Fucking lord these public schools are pissing me off now.
>>
>>68613595
And to clarify, where I live. I graduated 4 years ago.
>>
>>68608100
>woman logic math

seriously this is like one of those retarded word questions proposed by your girlfriend, there is no right answer just different was to make her angry
>>
>>68611780
I mean a severe autist might point out that "5x3 is five threes, therefore 3+3+..", but a teacher can't be this ignorant.

>>68609167
Also I have no idea why they're supposed to draw arrays. The student would clearly end up doing his/her calculations the same way anyway.

>>68609336
Friendly numbers seems like a good way of teaching kids to do "fast math". I don't know how many people in my engineering class are unbelievably slow when doing math because they don't use friendly numbers (and more advanced variants of it).
>>
>>68608100
>Fucking these sluts
>Feeding their egos
>Making it not only acceptable but easy for them to sleep around

You do realise half the reason whores exist at all is because of the desperate betas willing to sleep with them. Get yourself a goddamn fleshlight you idiot and stop being part of the problem.
>>
>>68613667
I read somewhere that the point of these newfangled maths was so they could give the autistic kids the same stuff as the regular kids.
>>
>>68613595
what state?

fucks sake i knew terminally ill kids who were on ritalin and they didnt even go to school because of health problems, and they were all twitchy and nervous as shit from it

I guess the parents just like how it makes them "calm", but really, the "calmness" they think they see is really just a constant feeling of fear making them feel trapped like a catatonic, because speed puts you in fight or flight

Its fucking sick
>>
>>68611885
This is how creativity is snuffed out in schools.
>>
>>68613156

The attrition rate for new teachers is almost 50%. Salaries and benefits are dropping around the country. Simply put: no one really wants to be a teacher anymore. And so many of the new teachers entering the system are ones who really shouldn't be there.

Increasing standards for teachers will increase the quality of teaching overall. Right now in many states you have teachers in the system who don't actually have the right certifications, and they are allowed in simply because the system desperately needs staff. That needs to change. Teachers need to be professional and held to high standards of education, and their compensation should reflect that. You aren't going to attract talent to a highly demanding profession unless there are incentives in place. Weed out the shit teachers and bring in the good ones that do deserve a decent salary. And then loosen the curriculum standards so that teachers aren't bound by Common Core and have more local freedom in how they choose to implement the curriculum. Creativity is largely dead in public education, and this is repellent to the kind of intellectual we want teaching our students
>>
>>68609240
>we probably did some variation of it while we were in school

Do you seriously not remember that far back or what? I know fucking 60 year olds that remember gradeschool.
>>
>>68608100
The key phrase in the question is "when adding" meaning its asking you how you can get to 10 during the process of solving 8+5.

But still why the fuck do you need to play these mind tricks on young kids
>>
>>68609167
I'm dealing with this shit RIGHT NOW. Jesus Fucking H. Hairy Christ on a Half-Crutch, these fuckers are stupid. Even the most basic Algebra concepts elude them.

It's like common core was made by demented monkeys snorting dogshit mixed with PCP.
>>
>>68610523
>yfw canuckistan becomes another japan
>>
>>68613915
>no one really wants to be a teacher anymore.

Right. All these useless cunts with no skills arent ecstatic that the state has a bunch of jobs guarenteed for them just because they're women and cant be pedos like male teachers all are (if they're not supposedly gay)

The whole thing is fucked. Let it all burn.

Public school is bad
>>
>>68613915
Used to be that smart women taught school. Now they take your job instead. The only people left willing to teach are disastrously underqualified. The only solution is to start paying them a lot more, but that can't happen with all the social promotion overcrowding in the schools.
>>
>>68613852
First it was Pennsylvania but for the last 4 years I went in Maryland. Same story.
>>
>>68609240
>"making 10s" is one of the techniques employed in early math instruction to teach students how to comprehend two-digit numbers.

Are you for real?

>to someone who is just learning, 8+5 (which in their minds are just symbols, not abstract concepts) does not intuitively equal 13, the student must first comprehend place value. a kid can see that 5 has a 2 in it, add that 2 to 8 and you make a 10. You then have 3 left over, and 10 + 3 is 13.

What is this, baby's first number line?

>it's just a way to teach basic addition. it might look weird to us but we probably did some variation of it while we were in school and just beginning to learn addition

No, we actually were taught to figure the shit out and get it exact. A wrong number was a wrong number, and your scores reflected your ability to figure it out. Sink or swim, fucker.
>>
This is why I never advanced past maths for 13 year olds. By that time I thought everything was a trick question or refused to learn anything because they'd change it next week anyway. Sad.
>>
>>68614158
To be fair, using that methodology you'd still end up with the correct answer.
>>
File: stop.jpg (23 KB, 309x281) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
23 KB, 309x281
>maths
>>
>>68613931

No one looks at 8+5 at first and surmises immediately that it equals 13, in the same way that you didn't immediately know how to form words from the alphabet when you first started learning English. For some the leap to understanding place value is very easy, while for others it's more difficult. At some point everyone realizes that single digits come together to make a ten, and what's left over is added on top of it.

Every time you've "carried a one", you've made a ten, whether you want to call it that or not. It's easy to look back now and scoff, but there was a point in your education where you did not have the intuitive number sense that you do now
>>
File: excalibur shaking intensifies.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
excalibur shaking intensifies.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>68609167
you have to be kidding me this triggered me hardcore
>>
i passed all my math classes without studying or doing homework or paying attention or showing my work

i was one of two people to pass physics in highschool out of a class of 28, and i was high as fuck all day

now you fail if you literally dont show your work and do it exactly the same way as the teacher demands even though both methods are completely valid and practically identical

these women are fucking sick and just want someone to shit on

western civilization is done
>>
>>68608100
It's a good system, it just can't be conveyed through english in a manner that kids can learn. So, it shouldn't be tried, in english.

The question intends to have the kid simplify to the next whole value with 8 and 5, then add the remainder.

It's almost impossible to articulate the point in the process, where you have a value of 10, in english, and at a 2nd grade level.

The problem, is that it takes an english speaker couldn't articulate the mechanism, by the time it's a necessity.
>>
Back to the dark ages
>>
File: whoops.png (155 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
whoops.png
155 KB, 400x300
>>68614322
>>
>>68611885

Fucking retarded school bitches.
>>
>>68610704
Longform was taught for a good reason: it's mathematically sound AND it lays the foundation for understanding base 10 theory; and we use base 10 for the obvious reason that the majority of people COUNT WITH THEIR FUCKING HANDS.

This bullshit clouds things to an enormous degree. Please explain to me how someone would eventually land an accounting job when they can't bring a general ledger into balance, much less balance numbers that don't qualify for de minimis, all because they are "estimating".

Guess what, your bank would LOVE to "estimate" your account for a few hundred dollars at a time. I'm sure you wouldn't miss it.

Now do you get it?
>>
>>68614368
The point is, no one can possibly be this stupid, except for an irrelevant minority, and they are failing smart kids for not looking at math problems like a fucking retard
>>
>>68614368
Ehh i guess that sounds right.
>>
>>68614074

>All these useless cunts with no skills arent ecstatic that the state has a bunch of jobs guarenteed for them

that's exactly the point. they don't really want to be teachers, they just want cushy jobs. and the people who actually *should* be teachers aren't interested in joining a sinking ship where their creativity and intelligence will not be rewarded.

public school is bad right now. but it could be so much better. just would take some guts in congress
>>
like it was any different 150 years ago.

except back then maths were not the benchmark of education
>>
>The educational system isn't working great
>Do something, anything, to change it!
>If it fails, we have a reason to change some more, and it always looks like we're doing something!

That's the thought process behind bullshit like this.
>>
My girlfriend is voting for Donald trump literally just because he wants to chuck common core

she hates it that much
>>
This common core bullshit makes me glad I don't have a kid.

I'd be the fucker that would rather teach my kid the right way to do math so he can actually use it in life.
>>
>>68614158

My kid bro studying to be a teacher has a math course like that.
It took some time two wrap my head around this roundabout and superfluous way of teaching it, since we'd never done anything of the sort on paper as kids.
Still, though, in a way it makes sense. This is math for those who struggle with adding 13 and 88 without penning it down. It's a (hopeless and pointless) effort to teach math to people who are going to struggle with basic finances otherwise.

In other words, dumbing down the course material in the hopes that even the most backwards kid can comprehend it and get to a math level that will see him through his day to day. It certainly does not inspire or require genius.
>>
>>68613915
It's only going to get worse and the pay will get lower. My mother is a substitute teacher in the Washington DC area, where they are importing a lot of teachers from the Philippines, Central America and India. It's very similar in both purpose and effect to the H1B visa in the technology industry. The schools save money, quality goes down even further and if they do actually hire a new American, it's some kind of assistant who gets paid even less than the foreign teacher to fix her mistakes. For the most part though, they don't care if the kids don't learn a thing so they don't often bother hiring any kind of assistant.
>>
>>68614368
>Every time you've "carried a one", you've made a ten, whether you want to call it that or not. It's easy to look back now and scoff, but there was a point in your education where you did not have the intuitive number sense that you do now

That's wrong - for the simple reason that it wasn't always that way.

When I learned to carry a number, the explanation was very clearly given by the teacher, along with detail about how we could continue adding numbers. The entire session was devoted to how to do a carry properly; and only after everyone had practiced this, would we turn to "big numbers" (i.e. 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.) It was fun, trying to figure out how many digits we could work. Most kids could easily work out to 100 when they were shown how to get to 10, but some would make it to 1000, and others still would get a gentle nudge from parents or older siblings regarding millions or larger.

It's not always the teacher's fault. There are instances where they are "given" the material to work with, and they do the best they can within that framework.

Common Core is nothing more than a way to rob our kids of a real understanding, by simply lowering the teaching process to the absolute lowest common denominator.
>>
>>68614490

>we use base 10 for the obvious reason that the majority of people COUNT WITH THEIR FUCKING HANDS

That has nothing to do with it. If you count with your hands you do it in binary unless you're retarded.
>>
>>68614873
Here's a potential solution: Mandate that everyone who has a hand in managing, funding, etc public education has to send their children to public schools.
>>
File: 1425310471168.jpg (14 KB, 791x247) Image search: [Google]
1425310471168.jpg
14 KB, 791x247
I love these types of pics, regardless if it's the instructor or the student being an idiot.
>>
>>68609167

This is beyond retarded.
"repeated addition strategy"? WHAT? Multiplication is ALWAYS repeated addition.
>>
>>68614796
>In other words, dumbing down the course material in the hopes that even the most backwards kid can comprehend it and get to a math level that will see him through his day to day. It certainly does not inspire or require genius.

This is why the coursework fails. Instead of getting the kid into an IEP and getting the school onboard, we lump them into the shallow end of the pool where they don't need to swim. And in the process, lump all the other students as well, including those that can swim at the 5' mark just fine, along with some Olympic-level swimmers that can do laps all day. So everyone stands around in the kiddie pool at just 1 1/2' wearing an inflatable tube or carrying a noodle.

Common Core may work for those kids that need the help, but it is forcing all kids to be "those kids". We need MORE IEP solutions, not less. And as we cut funding, and/or have the administrative staff "absorb" funds, this will become a bigger and bigger problem.
>>
>>68609336
I would just have my child continue solving them using the traditional method just to piss off the teacher.
>>
>>68614410
You were lucky. I could do problems in my head, but I had teachers who would not even give you partial credit if you didn't show your work. I loved math until about grade 6 which was when I started encountering these cunts looking for someone to shit on, but after, they just made it tedious and they never really taught anything, so my advancement in math stagnated until very recently.
>>
File: 1425310781121.jpg (19 KB, 378x284) Image search: [Google]
1425310781121.jpg
19 KB, 378x284
The person teaching the student made a subtle error in explaining limits too.
>>
>>68608100
thank the Pearson corporation
>>
>>68614990
Outside of cartel land people have more than just their thumbs
>>
Reminds me of the kid who had "3-5=?" as a question. He answered -2 and got it wrong.

Reason? Teacher said "we haven't learned negative numbers yet so they don't exist, answer is 0"

Fuck them
>>
>>68610523
Kek, you actually learn classical vector calc in grade school? I thought you'd be done exterior calculus by that time
>>
>>68615139
>"repeated addition strategy"? WHAT? Multiplication is ALWAYS repeated addition.
Exactly. The entire concept that multiplication is a form of extended addition becomes clear as you approach algebra, and concepts that had their frameworks initially laid years ago come into focus.

Schools used to teach this way, they would start with all the basic components (number theory, addition/subtraction, memorization of multiplication tables) from grade school, and use the resulting foundation to "build" into other areas (pre-algebra, home finance, business classes), gradually incorporating all the ideas. It didn't matter if you didn't make the cut for algebra (see my comment about home finances) it only mattered that you could have the minimum grasp needed to manage your finances.

I suppose they don't teach how to fill out tax returns, or balance checkbooks anymore. After all, a computer does that...not like they would *ever* need to do it in pen or something.

(there should be a sarcasm tag)
>>
>>68615368

>I don't know what binary is: the post

Your people are retarded. No wonder they need to teach with common core.
>>
>>68615370
This is an example of the teacher conforming to the course, instead of conforming to the student need.
>>
>>68615368
To illustrate how it works, here's a 4 (100).
>>
>>68615370
fucking triggered
fuck you mrs reeds
>>
>>68615370
When i took the first test to get my license, i got this miserable fat piece of shit bitch who gave me totally unclear directions on the first turn out hte parking lot, then immediately failed me when i didnt take the turn she said, 10 seconds within starting

The very first moment she looked at me she had a mean look on her face, and 30 seconds later, all that bullshit happened and it was over. She just wanted someone to shit on.

This is just a symptom of government guaranteeing jobs for fat fucking useless sacks of shit who should die
>>
>>68615464
>I suppose they don't teach how to fill out tax returns, or balance checkbooks anymore. After all, a computer does that...not like they would *ever* need to do it in pen or something.

I got taught how to do that at high school actually. But it's not at all common.
>>
>>68608100
is your pic real?
>>
>>68615503
off goes the other thumb
>>
>>68608544
fpbp
>>
>>68615503
I know what binary is, along with octal and hex. Doesn't matter. What matters is most kids have a built-in abacus called their fingers. It doesn't cost the school much, comes pre-equipped with the student (no "I forgot my fingers at home" speech), and goes hand-in-hand (no pun intended) with fine motor skill development, something else that isn't encouraged.

You can count in binary for fun if you like, and you can certainly go ahead and use all 10 fingers to do numbers up to 1024 if you like as well; but most kids are going to start off with something a bit more familiar.
>>
>>68615368
top quality bantz
>>
>>68615163

one problem is that teachers can suggest IEPs, but they can't be implemented unless the parents sign off on them. the parent has to admit that the child needs an IEP and agree to it, and many of them just won't do it. at which point the teachers' hands are tied
>>
>>68615368

topkek. US of A delivering proper bants for once.
>>
>>68615008
Unfortunately, it's been a pretty common theme in American politics that the people who decide what the rest of us should be stuck with are the ones most shielded from the consequences of their decisions. It doesn't matter what the issue is.
>>
>>68614990
>>68614490

Or base 12, since you have 4 fingers with 3 knuckles.

[spoiler]Based 12[/spoiler]
>>
>>68615803
Amazing, although I know what you mean. I know a child on an IEP that caught up 2 grade levels because of the help that was received.

There is no shame in admitting something is difficult, or needing help. There is only shame in choosing to remain ignorant, when offered the chance otherwise.
>>
>>68615964
Oh jebus, just what we need, let's explain this as the digits 0 through B to kids still grappling with spelling.
>>
File: solved.jpg (30 KB, 449x553) Image search: [Google]
solved.jpg
30 KB, 449x553
>>68608100
nailed it
>>
File: Common-Core.jpg (67 KB, 630x271) Image search: [Google]
Common-Core.jpg
67 KB, 630x271
>>68613758
Common Core an extension of the publishing racket you see with college textbooks. Most public schools, being horrifically underfunded, rely on the ability to teach out of the same textbooks every year. That isn't profitable for publishers, so they created new textbooks for a new curriculum and got Obama to shove said curriculum down educators' throats. Thus the old textbooks need to be replaced with shiny new ones, and the publishers get shekels.

There are other economic and political forces at work (pic related) but that's the big one.
>>
>>68609167
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>68615964
You can also use the tips of the fingers for based 16.
>>
>>68615262
both are undetermined, the right and left limits arent the same, her answer is just as correct as his
>>
>>68609167
teacher doesn't understand commutative property
>>
>>68615368
kek. nice banter lad
>>
>>68615932

just like immigration
>>
File: 1458557944817.jpg (83 KB, 620x720) Image search: [Google]
1458557944817.jpg
83 KB, 620x720
>>68611885
SO FUCKING TRIGGERED RIGHT NOW
>>
File: 1458729544050.jpg (305 KB, 1330x730) Image search: [Google]
1458729544050.jpg
305 KB, 1330x730
>>68611885

>"Marty ate more pizza than Luis"
>"So Luis ate more"

I'm so done with this planet.

Here is a picture feminists complaining about the apparel of the bombing victims.
>>
>>68614490
Guess what, you don't need to use base 10 to count with your hands. You're just too stuck in your frame of thinking to appreciate or even consider another way of doing something.

Common core is teaching students to think differently, and more abstractly, about mathematics. You could argue that it's not as "fast", but learning mathematics shouldn't be about finding the "fastest" route. It should be about understanding the concepts deeply. There are a lot of people who literally break down and cry when asked about math during job interviews (http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/03/5-year-olds-can-learn-calculus/284124/).

A lot of common core just utilizes set theory and tries to get students to understand the logic behind solving question rather than the rote memorization of solving questions.

Maybe the implementation of these new standards aren't the best, but the general idea behind the standards, I believe, are important to understand.

http://theconversation.com/the-common-core-is-todays-new-math-which-is-actually-a-good-thing-46585
>>
>>68610139
AY LADS LOOKS LIKE WE GOT US A MATH SITUATION HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA
>>
Is the problem with common core that it attempts to teach the "down to earth" and "shortcuts" instead of the straightforward way?
>>
>>68609240
fuck off common core. this is not mathematics. this is meant to destroy ones ability to reason. a philosopher knows that you can teach a person mathematics without even using numbers up until geometry. this is because math is all logic based. this common core shit, is not, and therefore is doing nothing but destroying the minds of children...but that's the point isn't it? much easier to maintain a socialist/welfare state when all the subjects are unable to be logical or solve complex problems.
>>
I'm so fucking retarded that I can't comprehend different ways of thinking than I'm used to.

t. Common Core Critic
>>
>>68616975
No, it's actually the opposite.
>>
>>68615965
>There is no shame in admitting something is difficult, or needing help

Speaking of, do you, or anyone here for that matter, know of good online sites for studying math?
I've been out of it for years, now, and I'm sincerely missing it.
>>
>>68617028
Or, you know, the critics actually can comprehend the different way of thinking, and have concluded that it's significantly worse.
>>
>>68617000
But the explanation is logical?

Why couldn't you teach geometry without numbers?
>>
>>68611885
no way this is real
>>
>>68617029
Dunno how I would describe it then. I see the pictures in this thread and it seems like they're trying to teach shitty version of mental shortcuts I used since I was a kid.

But I came up with shortcuts on my own, and I had a better understanding of the base before relying on those shortcuts. This seems like a really bad way of doing things.
>>
>>68617135

One would have to figure out how to represent angles with letters then.
>>
>>68617071
https://www.khanacademy.org
>>
File: concerned_frog.jpg (8 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
concerned_frog.jpg
8 KB, 250x243
>>68611116
is this picture accurate?
>>
File: 1402891431933.jpg (587 KB, 1240x2456) Image search: [Google]
1402891431933.jpg
587 KB, 1240x2456
>>
>>68608100

I think I see what they are trying to accomplish with the math question in the pic. Being able to manipulate numbers algebraically will help in higher level math. Examples of this is "completing the square". In fact, many calculus based concepts and proofs rely on the idea of adding 0 or multiplying by 1 to change the algebraic makeup of an equation, formula, function, etc.
>>
>>68617103
But people have biases in favor of their predetermined way of thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
>>
>>68617351
>https://www.khanacademy.org

Hnnnngh

Thank you, anon.
>>
>>68616975
>>68617176
common core adds a bunch of steps that basically stops smart kids from getting ahead of the pack by punishing them for using shortcuts. rather than there only being 1 right answer, common core says that there is only 1 right way to do the problem. common core is a nightmarish exercise in equality over merit, they should have common core and normal maths but they don't and i blame the teachers for that. to be honest, common core is probably a thing because the teachers are borderline retarded.
>>
>>68617191
No, I mean you could teach fundamental principles without ever touching numbers. This is actually what happens in pre-school and elementary school when you begin introducing shapes to children.

Also, >One would have to figure out how to represent angles with letters then.
http://www2.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/laws.html
>>
This thread makes me sad.

And I get even sadder when I remember that here in Brazil, public school teachers basically can't fail students anymore because it will hurt their feelings and give them emotional scars.
>>
>>68617518
Yeah they should teach both and not punish them for doing things a different way. They should just encourage freedom and play when it comes to math and accept when students come to the right conclusion as long as they are able to explain their reasoning.
>>
File: 100.jpg (20 KB, 248x286) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
20 KB, 248x286
>>68608100
How does that shit work?
8+2=10 then add 3 it's 13
>>
>>68617000

the philosophy behind common core mathematics is to help students who rely overmuch on memorization to unlearn those habits, and develop reasoning skills. however in practice this often ends up not working as intended, as you get low quality teachers who autistically teach only with the curriculum materials they're given and never adapt or modify their methods to meet the needs of their students.

There is nothing inherently wrong with teaching a student to make tens, if the student has a hard time grasping the continuity of numbers and insists on viewing equations as pictograms to be memorized. It's just one technique in a teacher's arsenal, allowing them to reach students who have a poorly developed number sense and help them understand why it's a mistake to just memorize results instead of learning the process involved in getting them.

Prior to this, you'd have intelligent teachers who could effectively convey mathematical concepts to students with a wide range of ability levels, and then teachers who just couldn't. And students would fall through the cracks as a result. thanks to Common Core, pretty much any idiot can teach to the curriculum (though some teachers struggle to do even that) and have their students meet the state-defined benchmarks.

The problem is that Common Core doesn't solve the issue of bad teachers and incompetent staff, it's simply a bandaid that sort of works while dragging down the overall quality of education for everyone. The program is just as much a dumbing-down for teachers as it is for students. The philosophy is sound but it doesn't solve the problems from the bottom end, which comes from staffing issues due to teacher attrition, misuse of funds, and low standards.
>>
File: 1362698383114.jpg (85 KB, 300x334) Image search: [Google]
1362698383114.jpg
85 KB, 300x334
>>68609167
>>
Let's hope this shit stays in America
>>
>>68617657

It's not so much about giving the solution as finding out where the 10 is hidden. Don't ask.
>>
>>68610139

I support the New language but the new way to solve addition math is stupid as fuck
>>
>>68617657
It wants the student to use a 10 in his or hers order of operations,

which has no scholarly value, it's just common core in america
>>
File: 1457609823.jpg (37 KB, 503x335) Image search: [Google]
1457609823.jpg
37 KB, 503x335
>>68609167
>>
>>68617821

It says 5x3. Five times three. Five groups of three.
The correct answer is 3+3+3+3+3.
5+5+5 might be equal, but is written as 3x5. Three groups of five.

This is autism level math, anon, step up.
>>
I know one elementary teacher girl here, she was THE dumbest girl in class. You know those types of people who mechanically repeat everything from the book without understanding jack shit and then even bragging how they don't understand jack shit? She's the prime example. Now she teaches kids. Holy fuck i can't even imagine that class
>>
>>68611276
what they need is to be put down. as soon as they start fucking up.
>>
File: 1446972423638.jpg (246 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446972423638.jpg
246 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>68618267
>Wearing a mask so people can't hurt you
>Justgirlthings
>>
>>68608100
I graduated in 2003, so I had no idea what this common core shit was at first, but now I have a son thats in first grade and im starting to see it a little bit more, shit is completely fucked. Here in Ohio theres a strong backing to get rid of it all together.
>>
>2nd year of highschool
>new English teacher fresh out of college
>early 20's
>legit 10 outta 10
>complete airhead didn't even know jackalopes weren't real (became a running gag throughout the year)
>wore thongs every single day
>was easy as shit to get her to bend over and show you dat ass and thong
>wasn't rehired after that first year due to the fact every single guy in school and every single male teacher along with some of the married ones all wanted to bang the ever loving shit out of her and a bunch of females complained about it

I mean we had fucking bet lists with the gym coaches on what color thongs she had on and everything.
>>
>>68613049
No, you're right, the phrasing is fucked
>>
This will never get solved until public unions are busted. As it is a public school teacher pretty much can't be fired for anything short of molesting a student. Layoffs are on a strict seniority basis and there's a fat defined-benefit pension on the taxpayers' dime. It's the epitome of government jobs attracting people who're dumb as shit and good for nothing, and just want a paycheck that can't be taken away from them, even if they're incompetent. Friend of mine went to Chicago Public Schools, and had a teacher who would literally hand out a worksheet at the start of class and then sleep at his desk the rest of the period. He knew they couldn't fire him. If they tried it'd take three years, since the union automatically files a grievance when anyone is threatened with termination, and they can drag it out forever.

You'll never recruit better teachers, or educate kids decently, until you break the unions' back for good.
>>
File: 461.png (290 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
461.png
290 KB, 680x680
>>68618267
>#TRENCH FOOT

RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>68618406
In my first year I had a spanish teacher that was like that. She was just so fucking hot.

I asked her out after I left school, but of course she turned me down. Can't blame a bro for trying.
>>
>>68610139
>Math Situation
Holy fuck my sides
>>
>>68618469
You act like it's the teachers that set educational standards.

Our teachers are better protected than yours. Their job is for life short of a felony. No firing, ever. And yet the differences between states are massive, and they stem from politics, from approaches handed down to teachers.

Don't doctor around on the powerless bottom layer. Yes, there's bad teachers, maybe sorting them out could improve things a bit, but then politicians throw a fit, and every teacher is mandated to suck. Guess what: This creates bad teachers, it burns out the good ones.

The problem isn't teachers, it's politicians.
>>
One of my aunts does teacher evaluations for K-3. She goes all over the country and has done some in Europe, too. She also teaches wannabe teachers at a couple of colleges.

She hates both Common Core and No Child Left Behind. And she has a very low opinion of many of her students. She sent her own daughter to a private school because she thought the public school teachers were so terrible.
>>
>>68616720
>pic
boy those fat acceptance freaks sure dont know when to stop, do they?
>>
>>68618699
>No Child Left Behind
The pretense that all children are equal in their ability to remember and comprehend this year's curriculum.

Dumbest shit. Children aren't all idendical. Sort them. Works miracles here.
>>
File: 1434740949974.jpg (47 KB, 634x434) Image search: [Google]
1434740949974.jpg
47 KB, 634x434
>>68616975
Math is naturally unintuivie, but CC tries to homogenize shortcuts for everyone. The way I think of multiplying by 5 is by multiplying by 10 then dividing by 2. You probably have a different way, CC tells you there's only one contrived way (created so the most inept can understand). It's shitty but its effects are exaggerated. Once you get into higher math you'll use a scientific calculator for computations. Past that you probably won't even be doing arithmetic that often either.
>>
>>68611885
Wait. What would be the official solution to this? What the kid wrote is all I can think of right now.
>>
>>68619047
You were apparently supposed to write "It's not possible" instead of finding a way to make it possible.

You know, give up instead of being creative and finding a way.
>>
>>68618267
gettin shot atm lmfao retweet if u got dat #ternchfoot niggas. fckn krauts and 'em sub-mac guns and full artill support #FrontLine #Isonzo #ITATheatre
>>
File: image.jpg (717 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
717 KB, 1280x850
>>68609167
>>
>>68619047
i think the "solution" is that it is not possible. i agree with you though, different sized pizzas is the most reasonable solution whether the answer is that it is impossible or not. they should have thought of a better question, like replacing the pizza with 600ml bottles of water or something.
>>
>>68618874
I have to help my nephew with his math homework sometimes and holy fuck is CC just full retard.
Doesn't help that the teacher takes off points if he does anything in a common sense way like I show him that can save him so much time.

You shouldn't have to sit there for 30minutes to an hour having to teach yourself the most roundabout bumfucked way to solve a math problem that takes up an entire side of a piece of paper when you can show em the same thing much more efficiently.

Shit whatever happened to the thing about saving paper in school?
>>
>>68619170
>>68619263
I... what?
Is the goal to destroy all problem-solving skills in children? This makes me physically sick to think about.
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 600x709
>>68608100
Dat copypasta tho
>>
>>68619281
>Shit whatever happened to the thing about saving paper in school?
Every time any public institution decides to save paper, it's a good moment to lean back, grab popcorn and watch the paper tornado explode.
>>
>>68619327
The goal is to uniformize. Creative solutions are non-uniform. Being faster is non-uniform.
>>
>>68618820

Schools are required to have a certain percentage of students pass a standardized test. The required percentage increases every year until it gets to 100%.

The feds left it up to the states to set the tests. The states just made the tests easier every year so that a larger percentage would pass.

It's pointless. The problem is so much class time is wasted teaching to the tests.

Also, it required that more teachers had to have advanced degrees, which is causing the cost of education to taxpayers to explode.

Common Core is worse, though. It's comparable to the disastrous "whole word" learning that they tried on inner cities decades ago.
>>
>>68619344
I distinctly remember it being a thing in the 90's about trying to save paper in school, do problems in your head when you can, write on the front and the back, etc.
>>
>>68609167
I would say this is fake, but I experienced this first hand in elementary school.

>Dad gets pissed at school because the work I showed was the same just different
>Shows it to the teacher
>her excuse "oh sorry I was just going off the answer sheet at the time."
>>
>>68619327
basically. the whole point is to make kids do things a certain way which stifles creativity and problem solving although i'm sure that is just a oversight rather than a goal, i mean it isn't like the education system would use propaganda and revisionist history to turn students into docile robotic leftists or anything, right?

education is fucked. i'd be spending a few hours with my kid every night deprogramming them if i lived in the us.
>>
>>68618503
fucking idiots
>>
>>68619525
>Also, it required that more teachers had to have advanced degrees, which is causing the cost of education to taxpayers to explode.
I'd wager teachers salaries aren't what breaks the banks. Look elsewhere. Teachers salaries are a drop in the bucket.

Also, yeah, those tests are pointless. But I guess acknowledging that not all children are equally gifted at schoolwork would also mean acknowledging that the potato school would be full of blacks. Can't have that.
>>68619545
That had to be introduced specifically? It's something we just did automatically.
>>
>>68612995
Fuck that reddit speak really triggers me.
>>
>>68615368

These bantz were so good I thought it was Japan for a second.
>>
>>68618874
>Once you get into higher math you'll use a scientific calculator for computations.

I graduated high school in 1996 and, even though they gave us TI-81's, they wouldn't let us use them for pretty much anything. I had trig and precalc, which was the equivalent of college level calc 1, and since we finished early, we started calc 2. Almost everything had to be done by hand.
>>
>>68616406
The students may not have learned it / seen it proved yet, in which case it would be erroneous to simply assume it, despite it seeming true.
>>
>>68619327
What if the kids start thinking for themselves, hmm?

What if, Allah forbid, they start to DISAGREE with the establishment?

Worse than WW3!
>>
>>68618164
That's one way of looking at it, but some people might interpret 5x3 as being "five multiplied three times". When I first learned multiplication, it was often spoken like "[first number] multiplied by [second number]", which means the kid was right. I can see though where others might interpret it as something more like "five sets of three". There's nothing on the paper that clarifies it.

The second one I think really shows the teacher is just an idiot. On that one, I'm looking for some situation where the teacher is right, but everything I know says not. Screen resolutions are always horizontal first, vertical last, and when printing a two dimensional array in a computer program, the inner loop prints the horizontal then turns back to the outer loop to go down one row and print out the next horizontal line.
>>
File: teacher salaries1.png (194 KB, 840x938) Image search: [Google]
teacher salaries1.png
194 KB, 840x938
>>68619723

90% of school expenses go towards salaries and benefits. Some of that is administration and staff, like janitors and secretaries, but the overwhelming majority is teachers.

This was from my old town from 2010. Look how many teachers have 6th year and Masters degrees compared to the standard 4 year Bachelors degrees. That's because the law pushes them into it, now. And they get a big bump in salary when they get there.
>>
I can see what they're trying to do by asking the question, but it's such a retarded way to teach it.
>>
>>68620089
>90% of school expenses go towards salaries and benefits.
That a large share of a small amount out of the overall budget. It's like saying 90% of some kids $5 pocket money go towards sweets, he's not gonna get fat from just that.

And it would be worth it, if the results were good. They're not, and if you want to know why, look up, not down.
>>
>>68619327
Yes, but only in those non-private schooled children
>>
>>68614002

since when?

fuck you

makes no sense, "when adding" means when you are adding those 2 numbers, not "in the process of making 8 and 5 single digits, could you then make 10 out of the 13 present?"

I don't know what dumb ass school you went to, probably a catholic one

but you're wrong and dumb
>>
File: 1458812023530.jpg (2 MB, 3720x1866) Image search: [Google]
1458812023530.jpg
2 MB, 3720x1866
>>68609167
Is this Abo common core?
>>
>>68608100
>>68609167
>>68609336

As a engineer this common core math pisses me off. This is not going to help children learn math, it teaches children that mathematically sound methods and answers are wrong. It teaches math that is mathematically WRONG because they claim a mathematically correct way of doing it is wrong.

I would never be able to learn enough math to do a master in engineering if I learned it like Americans do. How confusing must it be for children who trust their teachers, they are destroying the future.
>>
>>68608100
The Spanish education system is a fucking cuked joke. I still can remenber a funny history about those times. I had a English teacher from Belgium. I don't know why but we started to speak about the muslimshit. I sayed her that we called them " moros" and she started an argument for being racist. .... I still use the same word.
>>
>>68620281
abo common core is figuring out that wrapping a towel around a bottle means that they can sniff paint on public transport.
>>
>>68614072
I kek'd a little too hard at that, spilled soup on my /comfy/ blanket.

Common Core is absolute cancer, it's amazing. From a college level, it makes sense in a, "yeah, OK, that's unnecessary but I get it" way, but that should say something. It makes no fucking sense to young kids who end up learning redundant bullshit and horrifyingly abstract ways of comprehending information.

Fuck Common Core, it makes me never want to have kids if that's what they'll be subject to.
>>
>>68609240
>"making 10s" is one of the techniques employed in early math instruction to teach students how to comprehend two-digit numbers.

That's called new math, designed for kids whose parents didn't have the time to teach them flash cards and their addition tables.

The idea is to bring the top and bottoms of the bell curve to the middle so they all have 'equal opportunity' when they get to high school.

Oh yeah and my friend taught 4th grade math as a sub yesterday and nobody knows any of their multiplication tables.
>>
>>68620423
Figures..

Also have a gr8 day goy ummm I mean m8 :)
>>
>>68620423
FUCKING KEK
>>
>>68615082
That fag wants the D.
>>
>>68620349

It reminds me of this fat idiot single mom who was on welfare to get the job I used to work with

single math took literally minutes with her, like just adding, she used to fuck up invoices and I used to simply take a calculator and some scrap paper and find her errors and STFU and hand them to the treasurer

we used to have a pool of kids of each age divison and a finite amount of time slots, so each divison had X kids Y time slots and thus Z teams

she would do the math ass backwards, she would try to "guesstimate" the amount of teams, instead of dividing the amount of kids by the preferred number of kids per team then putting the remaining kids on teams so the time slots were properly filled to be scheduled later

like, why wouldn't she just divide the kids by how many she wants on a team and get a real number of how many teams there will be and then start to "guesstimate" and bugger around with actual hard numbers?

no idea, she had shitty tattoos, and a giant scar on her wrist from where she probably tried to kill herself, at least one time she had the right idea
>>
>>68620208
>That a large share of a small amount out of the overall budget.

I'm not sure what you mean. 90% of the school's overall budget is salaries and benefits, the majority of which goes to teachers. It's pretty close to that amount across the entire US.
>>
>>68611885
What is that shit? These pictures trigger me, holy fuck.
>>
>>68620936
It's 90% of a budget, that is a small share of the total budget.

90% of a small amount is still a small amount. Teachers salaries are wholly irrelevant next to medical care or aircraft cost.
>>
>>68609362
The problem is that is asking for one particular way of solving it. If a kid can do "basic" math why ask him to learn fucking common core? Wasn't common core made to allow retarded blacks to learn math? Why be a pain in the ass on the kids that actually know what Rudy are talking about.
>>
>>68618267
>hashtag
>manages to put a space between two words
Out of touch fuckwits trying to be cool and failing at it. Nothing out of the ordinary I supposed.
>>
File: 1458247558128.jpg (638 KB, 520x6730) Image search: [Google]
1458247558128.jpg
638 KB, 520x6730
>>68618388
>>
>>68620869

and to further my point here, other anons here are correct, fat dumb single moms or soon to be ones, have no business teaching children at all, so I'm under the impression that lazy idiots like this need to teach common core bullshit math because A) they may not be able to teach real math B) they might not understand real math C) it's easier on them to teach garbage
>>
>>68609240
It's something I think most people do intuitively anyway. It's just row addition but in your head... The problem is the way it is taught is bizarre.
>>
>>68621441
Every time I see this I want to punch a bitch.
>>
I'm sorry America
Why do your female teachers suck?
None of my female teachers push any agenda, and teach pretty well.
>>
>>68621243

OK, I see where you're going.

It varies by state, but roughly 50% of school budgets are locally funded and 45% comes from the state. Only about 5% comes from the federal government.

Schools are by far the largest expense of local government - around 70%.

If we're talking about combined federal, state, and local, primary and secondary education costs are around $600 Billion out of $5.2 Trillion.

So if 90% of that $600 Billion is salaries and benefits, then yes, we're talking about 10% of overall taxes.
>>
We had a fresh out of Uni primary school teacher move in with us in our house share in london.

She seemed pretty chill to start with. As the months have passed it's become pretty obvious that not only is she totally off her rocker she's also thick as two short planks.

I mean just really painfully dumb. Ditzy doesn't even begin to cover it. It pains me to know that she's probably in class just blithering at these poor 8 year old kids filling their heads with all kinds of parroted feminist bullshit.

What's worse is she's smoking hot.
>>
>>68618267
It was only one time in religion class (teacher was arab :D but not muslim D:) when we had this kind of assignment to do.

We were supposed to write about Abraham's walk in the desert with his son, but in a different way. Either facebook, instagram or whatever.. stupid it was at least.
>>
File: vikingpepe.png (173 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
vikingpepe.png
173 KB, 900x900
>>68609167
TRIGGERED
>>
>>68609336
>sorry I can't answer the question, this test isn't a safe space for me
>>
>>68608100
>I hope you're happy Sarah you filthy fucking whore
10/10 well baited my friend.
>>
File: american education is this bad.jpg (604 KB, 2048x1797) Image search: [Google]
american education is this bad.jpg
604 KB, 2048x1797
>>68608100
>>
Whats with this math? It serves no purpose except maybe slowing down smarter kids by punishing them for figuring things out on their own.
>>
>>68618503
Brb, making a fifth pounder burger for the American market
>>
File: LcsQVW2.jpg (60 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
LcsQVW2.jpg
60 KB, 640x434
>>
>>68622157
JUST
>>
File: gunASSIGNMENT610.jpg (256 KB, 610x455) Image search: [Google]
gunASSIGNMENT610.jpg
256 KB, 610x455
>>
>>68609240

>which in their minds are just symbols not abstract concepts
wat? ... So are fucking letters... and words. If the kid shows they understand this then why fuck with their head?
>>
File: 1434350213593.jpg (177 KB, 960x649) Image search: [Google]
1434350213593.jpg
177 KB, 960x649
>>
>>68608899
It's fake. I'm sure there's dumb teachers out there but this is tumblr tier shit.
>>
>>68620349
i know exactly how they came up with this bullshit too. they literally found some smart kids and figured out how they did math, then decided "let's teach all kids the method that the smart kids use".

the problem with that is that the smart kids didn't LEARN math with those methods - they learned it long form, then once they had a solid grasp of it, the smart kids learned to quickly do math by using these shortcuts.

BUT IF YOU JUST TEACH THE KIDS THE FUCKING SHORTCUT WITHOUT GIVING THEM THE FOUNDATIONAL MATH FIRST, THEY WON'T UNDERSTAND SHIT.

sending your kids to public school is fucking child abuse.
>>
>>68622525
Whats wrong with this one though, apart from the trigger headline?
>>
>>68622157
MAKE IT STOP!!!!
>>
>>68622334
what's supposed to be the right answer for this?
>>
File: rerere.jpg (723 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rerere.jpg
723 KB, 1920x1080
>>68623779

Gender equality.
>>
>>68622426

FUCK
>>
>>68611116
what about russia and the other 60+ countries that dont have rothschild central banks??
>>
>>68616272
If limit is written a infinity or negative infinity, the boundless behavior is already implied, the infinity just describes how the functions acts at x=8.
>>
>>68622895
To me, this is just teaching kids a longer, unnecessary way to find the answer.

Why can't they just teach kids the order of operations? Instead of this shit which adds one or two extra steps
>>
>>68615396
lol, inderrated
>>
>>68622157
This triggered me
>>
>>68622157
I imagine the parents if they saw this
>>
>>68611885
I had a retarded open ended question like this when I was 4 years old.

They asked me how to make 65 degree C water.

I drew a picture of me pouring a 50C beaker of water into a beaker of 15C water, and wrote that 50+15 is 65.

The teacher politely wrote that that wasn't the answer they were looking for and that it wasn't how temperature worked, but applauded me on my creativity and said my maths was correct.

That's what kids need. Not shit like this.
>>
File: 1454184852666.jpg (510 KB, 919x788) Image search: [Google]
1454184852666.jpg
510 KB, 919x788
>>68608100
>>
>>68608100
i sense some butthurt in you?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.