[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So me and my girlfriend have been having an argument and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Watdidusay2me.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Watdidusay2me.png
1 MB, 1360x768
So me and my girlfriend have been having an argument and I'm curious what /pol/ thinks.

When people ask what I am, I will say "American". But ethnically, I am strongly German. I have strong German blood in my family and a German surname, and distinct German features(primarily my nose).

My girlfriend argues that I am not ethnically German, but American. That saying I am "German" is disingenuous because I'm now a 4th or 5th generation immigrant, so I'm just ethnically "American".

I argue that my family hasn't mixed enough(though I do have other European mixes in my blood) with other races and that the people of America are too diverse in characteristics to all be considered one race, particularly when many of us have different origins. Namely I said that you couldn't consider both me and, say, Jay-Z as "American".

Which one of us is right? Am I ethnically German or American?
>>
>>68465227
American is not an ethnicity, but rather a nationality, you are the descendant of european colonists/migrants and have dominant german blood, your nationality it american, your ethnicity is german.

Also what the fuck is a german nose?
>>
>>68465227
you are a German.

She's right- you are American, but you are German. Just because you are 4th or 5th generation doesn't detract from your German lineage.

Anyways, your ETHNICITY is German
your NATIONALITY is American
>>
>>68465227

Your girlfriend is a retarded ignorant bitch like all women
>>
>>68465626
>>68465540

Why doesn't America have its own ethnicity, then? But Germany does?
>>
>>68465227
American.
I also need to go sleep.
>>
>primarily my nose
What does this mean?
>>
>>68465227
There is no such thing as an ethnic american, only a philosophical american.
>>
>>68465897
American education
>>
>>68465897
Because you morons are obsessed with the old world.
>>
>>68465897
ethnicity is a collective gene pool old and "pure" enough to be called their own, with their own cultural values that distinguishes them from the rest (or something even remotely like that)

America has a culture, and american is a nationality, but I doubt american is an ethnicity, only native-american, since basically you are all just mixed-race europeans with mixed-cultures that surely are on their way at becoming a distinct culture (or has already happened)

also: >Also what the fuck is a german nose?

>>68466106
Same man, these birds are going to keep me awake though.
>>
>>68465227

You are Burger
>>
File: nativeamerican.jpg (34 KB, 484x348) Image search: [Google]
nativeamerican.jpg
34 KB, 484x348
>>68465897
>>
look up the word ethnicity in the dictionary and report back

>ethnically american
protip you're dating a retard
>>
>ethnic american
like a native or something?
>>
>>68465897

Nigga if your name isnt "dances with burgers", then youre not ethnically American.
>>
>>68465227

Well, dumbass, you probably are a portion of german and are just being a pretentious faggot about it. In amerca, 4th or 5th generation means you're Heinz 57 (i.e. american). Stop being an enormous douche about it.
>>
>>68466146

His daddy got him a nose job.
>>
I'm a Caucasian mutt, I don't see a point focusing on my ancestry when at least 6 generations deep are white Americans.
>>
>>68465227
Germans are basically shit.

Don't use my flag again.
>>
>>68466398
Aussies are just butthurt because they kicked you out.
>>
>>68465897
American ethnicity would technically be native american.

Imagine a German family moves to Spain and has children. That family stays there for generations, and every child that has children only select mates that are also ethnically German. Are they ethnically Spanish, suddenly?

No.

So, the reason why America has no ethnicity of it's own is because our demographics reveal a kaleidoscope of ethnicity. Everyone residing here can't be "ethnically American" since it is not their place of ORIGIN.
>>
>>68467039
+1
>>
>>68467643
reddit scum
>>
Ted Cruz eats boogers.
>>
Jay-Z is a spook and you're a cracker
>>
>>68465227
It depends who's asking you. If I'm in America being asked by an America I would give them my heritage. But if I was in some other nation I would just say American.
>>
>>68465227
same here op.

20th or 30th generation Spaniard here,
I do not consider my self American either op, my ancestors did mix with the natives but not in any significant way, my Spanish features(Spaniard genes) have been conserved throughout the 500 years that my ancestors have been living in the new world, so when people ask me what I am instead of latino I say I'm spanish.

feels good mang
>>
>muh heritage
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.