[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
More Americans believe in afterlife today than in 1970s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 3251.jpg (39 KB, 740x420) Image search: [Google]
3251.jpg
39 KB, 740x420
>Among 18- to 29-year-olds, 30 percent had serious doubts by 2014, more than twice as many as in the late 1980s (12 percent).

>Yet 80 percent of Americans said they believe in an afterlife in 2014, up from 73 percent in 1972-74.

>"It was interesting that fewer people participated in religion or prayed but more believed in an afterlife," Twenge said. "It might be part of a growing entitlement mentality - thinking you can get something for nothing."

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/mental-health/fewer-americans-believe-god-yet-they-still-believe-afterlife-n542966

Does that last quote sum up Millennials, or what?
>>
I hate these threads. The possibility that there might be nothing after death terrifies me.
>>
>>68372863
>afterlife
>something for nothing
I don't get it. Isn't the afterlife like a paradise something you have to earn in most religions? I mean Catholicism is all about following the law and praying to enough saints so that maybe you're worthy of paradise
>>
>>68372992
but there is nothing after death. Belive me I died 3 times.
>>
Sinagogue of Satan
>>
>>68372863
We're a Christian nation. This is not surprising.
>>
>>68372992
It'll be like you're sleeping without seeing a dream, except forever. You won't even realize you're dead, you'll be calm and serene for eternity.

On another thought, I believe that you'll become another animal or plant. It depends on what animal/plant consumes your brain matter from the brain stem area, either directly (eating the brain matter) or indirectly (consuming the hummus that came from your decomposing brain stem, or eating the plant that consumed that particular hummus). This is why coffins are terrifying, you'll be a dust mite forever.
>>
>>68372992

But your consciousness will be born again, as it has countless times in the past.
>>
Lookit, our life energy, spirit, soul, or whatever you want to call it doesn't just disappear. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Is it truly inconceivable there is something beyond the Material Plane?
>>
>>68372863
I'm an atheist so i already know everything.
>>
>>68372863
people are weaker now, it's a mental crutch
>>
That last line is a total failure at an excessive jab, you could've said a lot of smarmy shit for what bad millenial trait this study shows but the guy swings at the ball on the tee and strikes out
>>
>>68373287

how do you die three times and come back?
>>
>>68374264
That's some overly dramatic shit you might wanna tone it down. the inclusion of thermodynamics is pretentious and although the whole idea of energy being some greater life force might work in fiction your grandiosity just makes your statement corny

D+ submit next draft for further review
>>
>>68374818
>He doesn't know about respawn
>>
>>68375028
Shit, brother, you manage to quantify the human soul in measurable terms and make it sound anything but grandiose. Granted I hold grand notions of the spirit. Might be corny, but it's what I believe. I'm not of any faith, I can't do organized religion. But I believe in THE ALL.
>>
>>68372863
Lol at it being a "growing entitlement mentality."

This shit has been studied for years. Humans are afraid of death. Everyone. Humans will perform mental gymnastics(not participating in religion but still thinking you will have an afterlife) to cope with the fact that one day they will die and there is nothing they can do about it.
>>
File: Bitores-Mendez-G3AR.jpg (120 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Bitores-Mendez-G3AR.jpg
120 KB, 600x300
>>68372863

I don't believe in an after life. But i hope there is a heaven.

I just want to live my life to the fullest and have as much fun as possible.
>>
File: 0TyC9K7.jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
0TyC9K7.jpg
23 KB, 400x300
>>68372863

But we're already dead. This is Hell.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.