[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Consulting companies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: big-4.jpg (16 KB, 330x220) Image search: [Google]
big-4.jpg
16 KB, 330x220
Hey /pol/, can you redpill me on consulting business? Not about work conditions (these are nasty, I know, though the paycheck is hansome), but in general, what role they play in the modern world. The fact is that I was invited for an internship at one of the Big Four, with a prospect for future employment, and I'm hesitating whether I should accept it or not.
>>
>>68227496
>what role they play in the modern world

Pic related is the role they play. Representatives of the jew all over the world.
>>
>>68227496
>I'm hesitating whether I should accept it or not.

You should accept it. Being accepted into global jewery is making you successful, especially if you're red-pilled as well.
>>
>>68227496
Pay is good, but when you divide it by the number of hours you actually work/travel by year, the hourly salary is really not that great.
>>
They aren't part of any system like banks are.

They don't influence or control interest rates
Don't influence or control money supply
They don't employ ex senior politicians and make ex employees into senior politicians like Goldmansachs does.

All they really do is stuff related to tax.
>>
>>68227496
> but in general, what role they play in the modern world.

You can look at them like some kind of mafia, every year medium to big companies have to pay for '' services '' or else....
>>
They basically run subscription services to companies.

Come in, do their taxes, change strategic planning, shift management, etc. They bill them and get their money either from doing this infrequently, or by software or other services.

I've wanted to join one simply for the brandname on my CV and a solid paycheck, but >>68229217 is right, working at investment banking or something is basically the same amount of time/money but you travel less there and get paid a little bit more to start.

I'm jealous of your offer, quite honestly.
>>
OP here. I went to a great undergrad business school in the US where most of the grads either went to the accounting firms of one of these four, or went consulting (largely with Deloitte or Accenture, but some with the others). I skipped the rat race for a variety of reasons. My neighbor (did not have any kids go to my particular school) has a manager at one of the big 4. Work conditions are similar.

If you get offered an internship and do a good job, you will generally get offered to hire. The exact path varies from there:

>accounting
You have to understand there is a large churn with Big 4 accounting. Churn and burn. They hire a lot of college kids with relatively great pay out of college ($60K+ a year, and not just in Cali/NYC either, but places with lower costs of living). The hours are brutal. I've been told that most of the college kids get dumped after three years in favor of a fresh batch, unless you absolutely work yourself to the bone, in which case you'll usually make manager after 5-7 years.

>Consulting
It depends on the exact area but it's not as bad. The hours are still long but as long as you remain billable and keep your clients happy they usually won't dump you. My former college roommate just turned 25 and is a manager of a bunch of associate consultants (college hires or 1-2 years out).

I myself looked at the environment and decided the Big 4 wasn't for me. I interned at a software company and then became a software consultant at that company instead. The expectation on hours is much more lax (work 10-12 hours if you need to, work 6 hours if you need to) and I don't get pressure for 100% utilization. I'm very happy with the decision I made.

I know of one person who interned at the software company I work at, he went to KPMG for full time and is happy.

I know a lot of people who picked the Big 4 for consulting, found out it wasn't what they thought it would be, and are looking to get out.
>>
>>68231601
>OP here
Why the fuck did I say that
Forgive me, I need coffee, I just woke up.
I meant to say
>young guy here
I'm 25 for perspective, so I went through the whole employer and internship song and dance within the past five years.
>>
Absolute god awful waste of time. You work 13 hour days with young kids who might be your supervisor or senior and get peer marked by said kids. Stupid over aggressive frat boy like culture filled with normans. When you factor in hours you make as much hourly as a subway sandwich artist.

Do yourself a favor and get a regular 9-5 job in something like mining or oil. You can work your way up and make wayyy more money at the end of 3 years than with these jewy big 4 oy veys. Plus you get real working experience instead of this fame big oy vey experience. Ive heard of many companies complain of arrogant big 4 seniors they hired who know NOTHING!
>>
>>68229251
All they do is rate shitty businesses as good, they help evade taxes and they help big companies to bring down competitors with intentionally bad audits.
>>
>>68231601
The way the big 4 and big consulting firm like Accenture work only with inbred people from specific school make me furious. Nobody explain this to you when this matters the most then you are fucked for life.
>>
File: left_shark.jpg (25 KB, 285x259) Image search: [Google]
left_shark.jpg
25 KB, 285x259
>>68232834
I didn't know that either going in. It's crazy how tight the relationship between the Big 4/Consulting companies and certain schools is. I sure as hell didn't know it when I decided to go to the college I went to.

This is also one of the reasons that going to be an Ivy League can be beneficial if you meet the right people. A lot of older richer connected people went there and there definitely is loyalty among alumni. (I did not go to an Ivy myself but a family member did).

All in all where I ended up is not where I ever expected (I had never heard of the company I would go on to work at before the 2nd half of my college career) but I have a well paying job with work I enjoy. The travel required kind of sucks but I get to deal with interesting problems.
>>
>>68232834

What in the fuck are you trying to say?
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1000x749
>>68232834
Ugh, i got an internship wih EY, and im from a bottom tier state school...
>>
>>68233108
He's trying to say the amount of incest between top/ivy league schools and consulting firms is high.
>>
>aggressively shitty culture
>zero work/life balance
>salary looks good at 40 hours per week, but expect to work 60-80
>constant pressure to bill more hours while somehow staying under the project's minuscule budget
>middle management is almost entirely sycophants or people with technical/consulting skills but no actual management skills
>nearly everybody is an alcoholic due to the long hours, insane stress, and never seeing their families
>"up or out" career path that encourages people to hoard hours, not cooperate on projects, and backstab coworkers whenever possible

For some reason they're great to have on your resume. If you really have to, get in, do 2-3 years, and get out.
>>
Tons of undergrads I know went to Deloitte.

I guess they work 14 hour days 7 days a week a lot of the time. They make 95k a year starring out though.
>>
>>68233618
Ex big 4 dev here. This is insanely true.
>>
>>68227496
Not sure about the other three, but KPMG sends their interns on rotations around the world. I've met plenty Russian qts in toronto who were interns with KPMG on rotations. They work slave hours, but then every night after work party wolfs of wallstreet style. Almost proposed to one, before realized she's a psycopath. Then realized they all are. Kinda comes with the job.
>>
>>68233784
I know plenty of people that started at Deloitte and most got $60-$65K starting with good bumps in the first couple years. Problem is the hours requirement is fucking insane.
>>
>>68233926
What do you do now?
>>
>>68233618
Yes can relate to a lot of that. Most people in my practise seem to flip between being an alcoholic and overweight, to a fitness freak hitting the gym everyday. You can only go so long on protein shakes when you spend your life in hotel rooms before you are back on the booze and room service tho.

Overall I think the job is good but I've not been in the game as long as some. Most colleagues in their 40s are completely disillusioned. The 2-3 year plan I hear a lot.
>>
>>68233618

I know someone working for Accenture I need to know if he is full of shit.

Is it true that during after work senior consultant and manager fuck and dump the junior qt who want attention / easy promotion (you don't promotion like that in those companies)
>>
>>68235811
Who knows. I was on a multi-year project for a while and by the end it seemed like half of the staff had fucked the other half at some point.
>>
Accept.

You get high quality training and support, plus having the Big 4 on your resume looks good.

If you are doing Audit/Assurance transfer to the master race corporate finance/deals/TAS after a couple of years (unless that is what you got an internship in).
>>
Their role should not be under estimated.

These are the folks brought in tI banks, government and industry to implement change and bring about best practice.

The unofficial motto of these groups is 'land and expand' and that's exactly how they operate.

Also, McKinsey are another big management consulting company. Worth checking them out.
>>
The trick is to make more work for yourself or for your company. If you're on a client site for a length of time, build relationships, compare what's going on in that firm to projects your company is delivering in similar spaces. Suggest meetings between people you think could help each other out or score contracts. If you help your firm get a foothold and find ways to employ additional people or have your contract extended then you will be the golden boy whether you can do your job or not. Often the people at the top we might think are idiots are the ones who manage to find the most work for people
>>
>>68235416
I did 2 and a half years at big 4. Now I code for a much smaller financial company where I have a life. I was purely a code monkey for the first part. Zero control, bad management, and insane hours made me leave.
>>
>>68231601
AT Kearney alum here. If you're looking for a consulting firm, you'll probably enjoy a smaller one to pay your dues in. I mean, take the internship to get the big accounting firm on your resume (it helps more than you know). When you graduate, apply to the smaller, perhaps more elite or boutique consulting firms. You'll be doing less busy work, get paid similarly, and have better opportunities to move upward quickly. They usually have an unspoken 2 year up or out policy.

A lot of people confuse the big accounting firms as "consulting" firms. I'd say while a lot of the business fundamentals of accounting are certainly important to know, there's a watershed between the accounting firms and management consulting. Finding the drivers of business and helping a company hone in on those rather than making the numbers work on a pro-forma is entirely more interesting to me. Besides, at the smaller or more elite firms you'll be exposed to way more things to build your skill set better.
>>
>>68237346
Got a sharp one here. This guy knows the art of good business, putting people together.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.