[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this basically an argument that nobody should ever be punished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.gif (61 KB, 500x136) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
61 KB, 500x136
Is this basically an argument that nobody should ever be punished for their crimes or is it just anti death penalty? Are there any logical counter arguments or is it unassailable wisdom?
>>
Still leaves a lot of eyes. How many eyes do you need?
>>
>>68081370
Justice is already blind, the quote concerns revenge.
>>
>>68081978
I often see it used to argue against the death penalty. Is the death penalty inherently an act of vengeance?
>>
>>68082109
It could be applied to imprisonment as well though.
>imprisoning someone that kept another person locked in their basement for a decade makes you no better than them, community service it is.
>Is the death penalty inherently an act of vengeance?
How it is practiced in your country it certainly is, in some other countries where they put you against the wall soon after a trial it could be argued that it's pragmatic.
>>
the curry nigger is wrong, most people never commit eye-worthy offenses in their lifetime
>>
>>68081370

I actually support an eye for an eye. In the US we have people sitting in prisons for decades over victimless.crimes. 34% of convicted felons have no victim.

An eye for an eye keeps the state honest. If you haven't actually harmed anyone then the state should not abduct and imprison you.
>>
>>68081978
>Justice is already blind, the quote concerns revenge.

In the US, justice passes over women especially white ones.
>>
>>68083392
I can agree with this.

I mean, sure, we on /pol/ tend to think stoners are degenerates, but if they're actually only harming themselves, there's no need to waste state resources on imprisoning them.
>>
When they take your eye, you take their life, their son's life, and then take their daughter to be raised in your home as your son's bride. And do this to everyone else in their village too.

The point is not to leave people to seek revenge.
>>
It's just a variant on the golden rule. You know...that thing that Jesus taught.
>>
>>68083590
Whoever HAS the gold MAKES the rules?
>>
That motherfucker nuked one of my cities in Civ
>>
>>68081370
It means that since now america has moved on from actual racist laws black people shouldn't try to get revenge so we can all just be happy and live together peacefully.
>>
>>68081978
This, the quote is horribly misunderstood by many people.
>>
>>68081370
its stupidity because not everyone takes an eye.. mathematically he is talking out of his ass...
>>
>>68081370
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
>>
>>68081370
It means you should not attempt to remove the eye of someone else in exchange for your own eye.

It's basically trying to say that you should not trade fairly with others.
>>
>>68082109
Let's consider the reasons for why we punish criminals.

Far as I know, there's three reasons:

1) Stop the criminal from doing more bad shit by removing them from society
2) Reform the criminal so that, if they are to be released, they don't do more bad shit
3) Deter other individuals from commutting crimes due to the threat of punishment
3) Revenge.

Now, ideally, punishments would do both the first and second things, as well as the third thing. Sometimes, you have criminals so heinous that (2) isn't a practical option. But does that mean we should kill the prisoners judged too dangerous to society, even though life imprisonment without parole achieves (1) just as effectively, and given that appeals against death penalty convictions suck so much money from the government through court costs and other shit, they're not cheaper either.

Some would argue that (3) gives the death penalty extra use. However, from the studies I've heard of, death penalties being an option don't provide a statistically significant deterrent compared to just life imprisonment being on the table.

So that just leaves (4).
>>
>>68084370
Whoops, I fucked up. Meant to say four reasons, and I mislabeled 4 as 3.

Disregard, I suck cocks.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.