[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you born smart or made smart?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: brain1.jpg (269 KB, 1414x1414) Image search: [Google]
brain1.jpg
269 KB, 1414x1414
Are you born smart or made smart?
>>
>Australian Education
>>
File: 1456875403012.gif (142 KB, 500x516) Image search: [Google]
1456875403012.gif
142 KB, 500x516
>>68077148
Made but /pol/ will debate this.
>>
>>68077148
You are born intelligent.
You are made knowledgeable and wise.
>>
>>68077148
We all have some type of genetic memory intelligence like recognize a human face or how babies know to hold their breath underwater
>>
>>68077253
You silly dumdum. You're not "born intelligent"... You may have a favorable framework for intelligence, but there are certain developmental factors that must take place for that framework to be realized...

Scientific understanding of things like neuralplasticity are really only know being focused on, and examined (literally,) under a microscope, which has a great deal to do with ones ability to reason, analyze, and learn.

Nature AND Nurture, muh familia...
>>
>>68077148
As far as i understand it, smart people simply have the ability to have more connections related to the subject they are in.

You are trained to be smart, however, you have an inherent aptitude for certain things depending on your genetic disposition.
It is possible to change the outlook of your brain and create more connections, but that process has a safeguard called boredom and tiredness.

So it is possible to make yourself smart, even in areas you werent before, but it is progressively more difficult since the brain has an energy safeguard for it.
>>
Depends if you are a nigger
>>
Well I'M both

And clearly you are neither
>>
>>68077523
Sounds like somebody has shit genes
>>
>>68077525
>>68077148
It is also worth noting that being Wise and being Smart are two different things.

A smart man is the person who doesnt say "I wish i could have said that in this discussion i had. I just found the perfect argument for it."

A smart person, is a person who can think on the spot.

A wise person is a person who can carefully analyze information and process conclusions.

It is more important to be wise, it is more socially respectable to be smart.
>>
>>68077523
Intelligence is basically the capacity to learn. Knowledge is what is attained throughout life. We are born with 0 knowledge, but differing degrees of intelligence.
>>
>>68077148
You're born smart you are made wise
>>
>>68077148
I think some people are born with a different capability, but that doesn't mean shit if you don't make it into what it could be
>>
>>68077901
Grandpa please. Your grandchildren want to visit with you.
>>
>>68078011
It is the truth. No matter how smart you are, if you do not become wise you will stay an idiot who can think fast.
>>
>>68077148

born with a certain quality of hardware, but you choose whether you apply it or not.

plenty of people in the world that could be smart but decided to drink themselves to death or what have you.
>>
>>68077833
How are we 'born with intelligence'? How is development not factored in? What if a toddler (with exceptional 'intelligence genes',) experiences severe head trauma? Will that toddler still be "intelligent" when they're an adult?
>>
File: 1452462879102.jpg (418 KB, 1222x1630) Image search: [Google]
1452462879102.jpg
418 KB, 1222x1630
'smart' is how well you apply knowledge.

you are born with a certain capacity to acquire knowledge. given knowledge, then intelligence is how efficiently one acquires knowledge- a measure of curiosity vs speed in learning something new.

put simply, stupid is a difficulty learning from experience. that's a trait that some people are born with.

a smart monkey observes his elders, picks up rocks and smashes nuts for up to 5 years until it understands the right combination of hammer and anvil. intelligence is a measure of how long it took it to grasp the combination of tools required to make the task efficient. a stupid monkey eats figs because it can't crush nuts with soft rocks and dirt. not every monkey is created equal. maybe the 'smartest' monkey throws shit and steals food from the so-called intelligent monkey? least effort, most reward...
>>
File: 1458169142970.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1458169142970.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>>68077833
>We are born with 0 knowledge
he didn't start with the greeks
>>
>>68077148
If you have a certain intelligence level you can pass the threshold that makes you able to become very successful. After a certain point (110-115 I think) you are equally likely to succeed or innovate as someone with the highest iq. It's more about reaching the threshold naturally and then your actions determine the rest

Book called outliers makes the point very well
>>
Born with a certain potential, although a variety of factors can damage your brain and capacity. Knowledge must be gained through experience and obtainable information, but you can't ever teach a retard or someone who has suffered severe brain damage. This should be common knowledge, but mental gymnastics somehow lead people to deny basic facts.
>>
A lot of "smart" kids are sheltered people who would probably do a lot worse in school if they had to go through child abuse or some other severe mental trauma.
>>
>>68078082
Grandpa we don't need to think fast the 50's are over and grandmas vj hasn't been wet since Nixon was president we don't need to think fast anymore. The widespread masses conform to a pattern like humans do and fall into a state of autonomy where others do the thinking for them.
(For the most part)

We have computers now senpai.
>>
>>68077148
both.
>>
>>68077148
Both. Think of your brain as hardware and your education as software. You can have superior education (run better software) but eventually you will hit a hard upper limit.
>>
>>68077148
Neither in your case, OP
>>
>>68077148
born smart and made wise
>>
>>68078623
This.

I did really well in school (honours grad in math, doing a phd atm), but I've lived an incredibly sheltered life.

Supportive parents, scholarships paying for all my education, never been sick or mental problems etc etc.
>>
born tbqh

no amount of education or study or self-reflection or childhood intervention will turn a genetically stupid nigger into a conniving jew

and even then degree of perseverance is a genetic trait
>>
>>68077148
Born with a certain mental capacity. It's your job to put it to use.
>>
>>68078195
If somebody cuts off your legs you're still born with legs retard.
>>
>>68077148
Plenty of studies on adopted twins that shows that genetics outweighs nurture (though of course nurture plays a part)

I would say it's something like 75/25 nature/nurture
>>
>>68081211
does the degree of perseverance more prevalent on women?
>>
>>68077148
Smarts are created and scaffolded and constructed. Just like Hitlers Berlin Wall
>>
>>68077148
I think it's probably more nurture than most people give it credit for.

The problem is, there's so much interference and randomness associated with it that it's hard to create a study that conclusively shows a relationship between nurture and intelligence.
>>
>>68077148
It's not that someone is made smart, they were born with the will to become smart.
>>
>>68077148
You have it, or you don't.
>>
>>68082115

Check out some studies about twins separate at birth and report back
>>
>>68082115
For example:

Becoming intelligent is like building a castle.

If i'm trying to build a castle on quicksand, it's going to be difficult. Is it impossible? No. It's just going to require a carefully laid foundation.

If i'm building a castle on granite stone, on the other hand, it's much much easier. You'll find that people who build on that kind of surface have much more success more often.

Some people are quicksand, and some people are granite.
>>
>>68082454
This doesn't demostrate the case, see my example given here ---->>>68082466
>>
You're born with a base IQ and have a 20 point range to move around in.

This is pretty much a scientific fact, insofar as you believe in IQ as a metric.
>>
File: Who wants to be a Liberal.jpg (43 KB, 640x444) Image search: [Google]
Who wants to be a Liberal.jpg
43 KB, 640x444
>>68077148
No real answer to this but whatever..

Part of this question is what is truly intellegence? School and jobs are mostly just memorization/knowledge, but street intelligence and social intelligence is very real. However I'll just assume you mean what most people think intelligence is: memorization/knowledge.

Obviously a person with an iq of 100 will never be Einstein, but a well trained 100 iq brain will school a 160 iq brain that is untrained. Its the same as your body, some people will never achieve Arnold Schwarzenegger levels of muscle no matter how hard they try. If Arnold never trained then any old joe who works out would have been bigger.

IQ is just a number to show your limits, any man can be great but not any man can change the world. Sucks but that is the truth, genetics are real.
>>
>>68077148
A bit of both, mostly born.

>>68077523
This guy has it pretty much right.

>>68077246
There's nothing to debate, if you are trying to say that you can just become smart then that's just wrong.
>>
>>68078195
>if they're born intelligent and then their head is cut off are they still born intelligent

t. denialist
>>
File: 1458406394896.jpg (19 KB, 450x386) Image search: [Google]
1458406394896.jpg
19 KB, 450x386
>>68077148

we have no natural predators so dumb people get to breed more

some are born with better data retention abilities,higher cognitive function also

those who have that brain tend to become smarter via education

neuro typicals tend to not put much value in learning..."i finished school now why do i need to read up on the battle of hastings in 1066?"

they only will learn what directly benefits them IE how to use the latest phone...things like what would happen if 2 black holes met? never crosses their mind.

the best rises to the top of society the dumb sink.

simple as that.

TL;DR a bit of both.
>>
You are born with a potential for intelligence.

Through your education and experience, you then reach a % of that potential.

So it's possible that someone with excellent genetics but no stimulation remains a dullard, which someone with mediocre genetics but great effort can reach a top percentile.

But the smartest people will always have good genetics and good development.
>>
>>68077833
We have inherited knowledge. Shit like phobias or really any instinct.

I would like to clarify intelligence is the ability to learn quickly, recognize patterns and solve problems, as well as memorize and recall information. it can also be argued that gross and fine motor skills and muscle memory is a type of intelligence.
>>
>>68082782
>believe something that can be measured is a measurement

also, news flash to the idiots in this thread spouting "muh environment", your genes also determine how you respond to your environment
>>
>>68077148
you can be born more intelligent than others but ultimately its fairly irrelevant so long as you werent born a retard because being clever doesnt mean youre knowledgeable
for example, as a kid i was very intelligent and i knew it my parents and teachers would almost constantly say how clever i was, i aced all of my tests without really trying right up until my senior year at which point i actually had to start trying which was just something that at that point i wasnt really capable of doing, i never really bothered researching before because i always just remembered exactly what i had been taught and i could figure out how it was relevant to something else without any difficulty
this sudden unexpected confrontation with something i couldnt do pretty much shattered my confidence and i just kind of gave up out of a fear of failure, meanwhile kids who were for all intents and purposes dumber than me ended up doing much better because they couldnt just rely on their intelligence to do everything, they had to put hours into researching subjects and practicing skills etc to get better

basically you can be born smart but if you dont challenge yourself then any amount of intelligence is pretty fucking worthless
>>
>>68077148

Twin studies show a .45 correlation of IQ in childhood and rises to .75 in adulthood so it's mostly genetic.
>>
>>68083319

this post gave me cancer

>>68083365

[citation needed]
>>
>>68078338
>outliers
Great read, would recommend to a friend
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.