[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atheism is stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: Richard_Dawkins_is_an_asshat.jpg (49 KB, 720x511) Image search: [Google]
Richard_Dawkins_is_an_asshat.jpg
49 KB, 720x511
>>
>>68065645
And before that? A fucking rock.
>>
Both atheism and creationism is stupid. The truth is we don't really know if God exists. Faith is the only thing that matters.
>>
>>68065742

Checkmate, atheists.
>>
File: 1440544407289.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1440544407289.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1000
>All atheists believe in evolution

Fair enough. Each and every Christian believes in unicorns and bombs abortion clinics.
>>
>>68065645
Evolution is a pseudoscience based on placebo effect, so yes, atheism is fucking stupid.
>>
>>68065952
Yeah. I'm an atheist, and I believe in god.
>>
>>68065952

Well, the problem relies in the fact that you cannot prove that unicorns do not exist. Atheism is stupid because many atheist are claiming a universal negative which is not something that can possibly be proven. The statement "I believe in God" does not require evidence unless you want the person to prove to you that they believe in God. Why is it that atheists are alright with believing in the paranormal and little green men, but not in a God?
>>
>>68065645
Creationism is the stupid fucking thing on the planet. There is direct physical evidence that contradicts it. But fucking religious thought is believing you know how the entire universe work because muh bible. Fuckin hubris is all it is.

It's better to just admit you don't know how life or the universe began and base your guesses on physical evidence and facts. Otherwise you're just that person who pretends they know how it all works and the rest of us shake our heads and talk behind your back of how much of an idiot you really are.
>>
>>68065928

Right because atheists are too dumb to know the difference between a belief, and a claim. Claims require evidence, beliefs do not. That is, unless you want someone to prove that they believe in whatever they believe in.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 688x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 688x456
>>68066510
>>
>>68066510

I see that you have the intelligence of a fucking rock. What does religion have to do with the existence of a God? Please tell me asshat. A religion being right, or wrong does nothing to prove/disprove the existence of a creator. You aren't too bright.
>>
Let's flip it around shall we? Let's say an atheists says "I believe that there are human-like beings on another planet somewhere in the universe." What if I say "They do not exist?" Can I logically disprove that these human-like creatures do not exist? No. Nor is the atheists wrong for saying that he/she believes that they exist because they aren't making any claim that requires evidence. They are only claiming to believe in these beings.
>>
>>68065912
>Norway
>Used to be Lutheran
>Pushing Fideism
Checks out
>>
File: not a single fuck.jpg (131 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
not a single fuck.jpg
131 KB, 720x540
>>68065645

Reminder that Atheists are just as dogmatic as religious people, except they worship the State as a God. They make fun of theists for having "imaginary friends" while simultaneously sacrificing their rights on the altars of equality and utopianism, all the while refusing to acknowledge the fact that both of these things are non-existent abstracts.
>>
>>68065645
you're stupid
but seriously why do people get so angry when someone doesn't believe in god? some get more mad at lack of belief than at heathen beliefs
>>
>>68067583
I'm atheist, I don't believe there are human-like beings on another planet. What is the point on this argument?
>>
>>68068408
Reminder that all of that was pulled directly out of your ass.

Creating fictitious enemies that you can tear down might make you feel better, anon: but mainly it makes you look stupid.
>>
>>68068424
>why ppl are angrie wit a bunch of Millitant atheists??

Uhhh......
>French Revolution killed Catholics
>Russian Bolshevs killed 50 million
>Pol Pot killed almost all of the Cambodians
>Chinese Cultural Revolution and current prosecution of Churches
>Deaths of Catholics in the Age of Enlightenment
>waco siege

Mhm
H
M
>>
>>68068424

Because asshats like you try to turn the lack of belief into something that is factual when it is not. That's why.
>>
>>68065645
>has the same DNA as a fish
>shares genes with fish
>shares features with fish
>can trace fossil evidence down trees to get to where our ancestors and fish diverged
but LOL fish amiright so ridiculous
>>
>>68068773

Nice ad hominem argument bro. Joke's on you, nobody looks stupid since this is an Anonymous imageboard. Congratulations on proving my point by grasping at illusory concepts like someone looking stupid in a place where there is no identity.
>>
>>68068500

That atheists are stupid for demanding evidence of someone's belief system. It is not a claim that requires evidence unless you want the person to prove to you that the believe in whatever you believe in. I guess you can't read.
>>
>>68069042
dont worry its just satire
>>
File: 1345251081386.png (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1345251081386.png
10 KB, 300x300
>>68066924
>What does religion have to do with the existence of a God?
Are you literally retarded?
The exact definition of a religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

holy shit christcucks are so dumb.
>>
>>68067583
I'm not sure any atheist would say they believe something like that on faith though. It's a probable situation given how impossibly massive the universe is. With so many permutations of potential life, some other could have potentially taken a bipedal form with binocular vision
>>
>>68069311

You are a special kind of stupid. You think that believing in God requires that someone be associated with some religion? You are a real asshat.
>>
>>68069108
>Nice ad hominem argument bro
>in a place where there is no identity

protip: when the arguments are ridiculous, pointing that fact out is not ad hom
>>
File: 1457385937401.jpg (27 KB, 261x241) Image search: [Google]
1457385937401.jpg
27 KB, 261x241
>>68065645
>Starving, dying babies with aids in Africa
>Intelligent design
You must think very highly of your God.
>>
>>68069464
>moving goalposts this hard
Your exact words were "what does believing in god have to do with religon"

Religious people all believe in a higher power you inbred. Does this mean all people who believe in god are religous? No, and i never said they were. Kill yourself for getting so offended about your retarded fairy tales
>>
>>68065645
It just doesn't make sense.

They say they only believe in things that can be proven, and then they move to make a claim ("God certainly does not exist") and they can't prove it themselves. Then they proceed to explain that things that can't be proven to exist must certainly not exist.

It's just illogical. Agnosticism makes sense because they simply don't know. And of course, Theism makes much more sense.
>>
>>68069537

Well, what have you done for mankind genuis?
>>
>>68069728
hes not an all knowing all powerful being. He doesnt have to do anything.
>>
File: 1451700042588.jpg (72 KB, 543x351) Image search: [Google]
1451700042588.jpg
72 KB, 543x351
>>68069728
I've made cartoons that make millions of people laugh and I pay my taxes. I'm not a God. But apparently God wants babies to have aids so fuck me, right?
>>
>>68069918
god masturbates to babies with aids
>>
>>68069653

Your logic is flawed beyond belief.
>>
File: ok.gif (2 MB, 475x262) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
2 MB, 475x262
>>68069531

Calling an argument ridiculous by saying someone pulled it out of their ass is ad hominem. Your argument is fallacious and your follow up is pathetic. You aren't actually challenging anything I said, you're just calling it ridiculous as if everyone agrees with you. You didn't even bother to invoke a straw man claim, which further illustrates my point: You're a tremendous faggot that doesn't know anything about formal logic, just like most Atheists.

See there's this little thing called a argumentum ad ignorantiam, which is a fallacy that all Atheists commit. In fact, they base their entire worldview and rejection of religion upon it. They are illogical filth, just like you.

You're one of those people that rejects religion until you get old and then you go full retard on it. Bet you'll end up in a Baptist ministry and start telling people to stop saying "fuck" because it makes Jesus cry.
>>
>>68069119
I'm an atheist because there is no evidence. That doesn't mean I'm going around asking every christian for evidence. I'm not demanding it faggot.
>>
>>68069918

Well, maybe if humans would be more responsible and not fuck anything that walks, AIDS would not exist.
>>
>>68069531
go to bed Achmed
>>
>>68069676
>and then they move to make a claim ("God certainly does not exist")

Uh... no. Then we state that, on the preponderance of the evidence, it is unlikely that god(s) exist. And we politely ask you to desist from telling people how they should behave, based on the (probably) fabricated teachings of your (likely) entirely made-up deity.
>>
>>68069918

You say God does not care, but it's actually the people that do not care. Much of the shit that happens can be prevented.
>>
>>68070114
>get btfo
>no rebuttals
>y-y-y-y-you have no logic

Its literally the difference between being a theist and an deist you inbred. One follows a religion, the other does not. They both still believe in god.
>>
>>68065912
The only thing that matters is Black Lives, my developed friend.
>>
>>68070240
Aids originally existed in monkeys and was contracted in a human because he was probably fucking it and our DNA is remarkably similar to moneys.
Are you implying that God created AIDS because he was pissed at all the sexually promiscuous and immoral monkeys that he intelligently designed himself?
>>
>>68070438
Correction, the only thing that matters is that you poo in the loo my shitskin freind.
>>
>>68070246

Reminder that laws and government are entirely fabricated and yet Atheists cling to them like children clinging to their mothers' skirts. You're all just the other side of the same coin, and the fact you feel the need to challenge religious people on their beliefs or how they interact on you based on the perceived unlikelihood of their beliefs is laughable.
>>
religion is for dirty brown people
>>
>>68070413

Well, since my father is European, and my mother is Native American it is highly unlikely that I am an inbred. Nice ad hominem
>>
>>68070531
christcucks refuse to hold god reponsible for his actions. They dont care if he is all knowing and all powerful and knew exactly what would happen when he made things, he din du nuffin, hes a good boi.
>>
File: 1451178100671.png (243 KB, 829x589) Image search: [Google]
1451178100671.png
243 KB, 829x589
>>68070246
You are the embodiment of the fedora meme.

And no, Atheism consists of people that believe God does NOT exist. It is a certainty. Those who think God is unlikely to exist are Agnostic Atheists.

>we ask you to desist from telling people how they should behave
This is the classic "Damn religionfags are so loud" when Atheists are much louder.
>>
File: 1402432940336.jpg (233 KB, 541x458) Image search: [Google]
1402432940336.jpg
233 KB, 541x458
>>68065645

ITT: Scientifically illiterate people try thinking for the first time.
>>
>>68070531

I'm not implying anything like that dumbass. I am simply saying that this is the 21st century. AIDS has been around for quite some time, yet dumb fucks still decide to take the risks. That is all I am saying. God does not cause this to happen. People do it to themselves.
>>
File: 1456093911557.jpg (110 KB, 904x345) Image search: [Google]
1456093911557.jpg
110 KB, 904x345
>>68070709
>when Atheists are much louder.
nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9MUycYD6Y

These kinds of people are paid lots and lots of money to go on TV.

No atheist is ever paid to go on TV and rant about god not existing like this
>>
>>68066410
Atheist literally means they don't believe in a theistic god. It doesn't say fucking anything about anything else. Just literally a diety.

Paranormal could be unrelated to there being a deity.

"Little green men" is mathematically practical. When you realize just how many stars and planets there are, as well as how everything is made up of the same stardust it's not a far cry to suppose "hey yeah, maybe some other form of life is out there on one of the many hundreds of billions of planets".
>>
>>68069918

>But apparently God wants babies to have aids so fuck me, right?

le epik suffering disproves god meme

You do realize that the central point of the New Testament is that the Son of God was tortured and murdered by the clergy and most of his apostles were martyred for their faith in horrible ways right?
>>
>>68065912
I am 100% certain God does not exist.
>>
>>68071024
>"God" is mathematically practical. When you realize just how many stars and planets there are, as well as how everything is made up of the same stardust it's not a far cry to suppose "hey yeah, maybe god is out there on one of the many hundreds of billions of planets".
>>
>>68071024

Well, you can say the same for unicorns too. Yet, you always use that and the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" argument.
>>
>>68071172

Well, the burden of proof is on you now. GOOD LUCK PROVING IT!
>>
>>68070183
>straw man
>formal logic

Jesus cocking christ on a unicycle, are you twelve?

>argumentum ad ignorantiam, which is a fallacy that all Atheists commit
Except we don't. The only serious atheists I know argue from a number of complementary positions:

1. There is no convincing evidence for a particular deity
2. The universality and plurality of supernatural beliefs strongly suggests that there is a fundamental psychological need which religious belief fulfils (i.e. supposed answers to the great questions of life)
3. The history of organised religion is one of dogma, privilege and the accrual of wealth.

Based on these three simple observations, the likely existence of a god of any kind is vanishingly small. Note, though, that I don't say impossible. That was something you said I would say back at the start of this discussion. And I pointed out that it made you look stupid.
>>
Oh look a slide thread.
>>
>>68069676
>And of course, Theism makes much more sense.
Atheism is as plausible as theism, you goddamn hypocrite.
>>
>>68071139
god is just a bit into SM, especially on children
>>
>>68071316

The problem is: It is not a claim to begin with. IT IS A BELIEF. Atheists do not seem to understand the difference.
>>
>>68065952
Can you be an atheist and NOT believe in evolution? How does that work?
>>
>>68065645
explain in DETAIL why we have an organ whose sole purpose is to become inflamed and burst causing death

explain in DETAIL why we have the remnants of a niscillating membrane that was our eye covering

explain in DETAIL why we have the leftovers of a tailbone if we never had a tail, why would god throw that in there

ill wait
>>
>>68071139
So he wants to punish babies?
>>
>>68065645
Atheism aside, Richard Dawkins is actually red pilled as fuck.
>>
>>68070709
Ah, okay. I see the problem here. You choose to believe atheism is one thing (much like you choose your other beliefs) in direct contravention of the evidence presented to you.

I guess there's nothing more to say.
>>
>>68065952
Evolution makes sense though, and the real world application is that we need to keep making new drugs to counter evolving viruses and bacteria
>>
>>68071525

Explain why God would not allow all that you just said.
>>
>>68071578
>atheism aside

I wish these ironic Catholics on /pol/ would realise how stupid they are
>>
>>68071627
So why couldn't viruses be totally wiped out by specially designed medicine? Could it be a planned obsolescence?
>>
>>68071525
god works in mysterious ways, canukkio
>>
>>68071765
>So why couldn't viruses be totally wiped out by specially designed medicine?

>this is a genuine question by a christfag

Why don't we just cure cancer too?
>>
File: 1437805409785.jpg (75 KB, 960x727) Image search: [Google]
1437805409785.jpg
75 KB, 960x727
>>68071625
Or maybe you don't know?

Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of a god. That is not "my" definition, it is the definition of several dictionaries and also common sense.

Agnosticism is the belief that the existence of a god is unknown, as in no one can know for sure.

What does that imply? If you are an Atheist, you are not an Agnostic (obviously). Which means you actually believe that it is possible to point the existence of god. And you don't believe in it, which means you think you are sure there is no god (else you'd be Agnostic because you'd think it's impossible to know)

Now you can either tip your fedora harder or point the flaw in my logic. Both we know what you'll do though
>>
>>68071292
God is by definition the creator of the universe.
The universe is by definition everything that exists.
Therefore, if there is no universe, nothing exists.
God cannot exist while nothing exists.
God cannot have created the universe.
God does not exist.
>>
>>68071879
Cancer is being cured.
>>
>>68071292
The Christian God is supposed to be omnipotent and have a will yet those two things are logically impossible to have at the same time.
>>
>>68071578

Well, there is the point to where someone is so "red pilled" that they become blue pilled. This is why we need to be skeptical of the skeptics themselves. Otherwise, their word is taken as "fact" when it is not. I do not believe someone just because they have a good track record or a high education. You can have a PhD and still be as dumb as fuck.
>>
>>68065645
RETARD ALERT RETARD ALERT
>>
>>68071677
The bible claims that God loves all of us and setting up a bomb (the organ) inside of random people doesnt sound like a loving father to me

the tailbone and niscillating membrane i intended indicate that God didnt know shit when he created us

>God: oh me! i dunno, throw in an extra rib, a third eye that senses light a few inches under the skull, a organ bomb, a cats eye covering....uh...done? sure
>Adam: ahhhh! sure is great to be alive!
>God: Adam! i need to recreate you, or do surgery on you!
>Adam: what why? what are you taking out?
>God: none of your business as to why but im taking one of your ribs
>Adam: that seems harsh man, hey can you remove this tailbone thing and the bomb in my abdomen while your at it?
>God:no
>>
>>68071940
Yeah but why don't we just do it? Why don't we just cure all cancer now?

That is the level of stupidity of your previous question. These things take time, money and effort to understand and create
>>
>>68071768
the "i dunno" answer
>>
>>68071480
I do understand the difference. It would be awfully nice, though, if you could desist from exacerbating the AIDS pandemic in Africa by using that belief to denounce condoms. Or perhaps you could let women in Ireland have safe access to abortions. Or you could stop killing Sunnis because, of course, Ali ibn Abi Talib was the proper successor to Muhammad.

In short, if you want to have a belief, go ahead and have that belief. Just keep it to yourself, mmkay?
>>
>>68071942
How is that logically impossible? You have to explain your reasoning.

You and I can't know what God's will is because it's unknowable.
>>
>>68071685
I'm Anglican m8.
>>
>>68072058
Why don't we just do it? Could it be because the pharmaceutical companies care more about money? Nah, couldn't be that.
>>
>>68065645
Richard is a great biologist, but fucking sucks at philosophy.

Most atheists don't care for him, he's the Alex Jones of science.
>>
File: 23243254352.jpg (57 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
23243254352.jpg
57 KB, 624x351
>>68065645
Well, you could always be a glorious catholic instead of peasant protestant and believe in both God and theory of evolution. Everything is possible when your pope is infallible.
>>
>>68070987
So Theism is more loud because sometimes, Christians appear in a TV program (that you can simply use your remote to change the channel) to share the word?

>no Atheist is ever paid to rant about god not existing
False, I've seen it before, but it's indirect because doing it like they did in your video would kill their religious audience. It happens a lot on the Internet though and you can't deny that. Also happens all the time in real life, I've been told by Atheists much more than by religious people.

>>68071334
No.

Atheism claims they only believe with evidence, then they move to make a claim with evidence.

Theism is self aware that evidence is not needed, although there actually is evidence.
>>
>>68072165
If you are all powerful how could you possibly be in want of anything?
>>
File: Christian image.jpg (594 KB, 674x867) Image search: [Google]
Christian image.jpg
594 KB, 674x867
>>68071316

>Jesus cocking christ on a unicycle, are you twelve?

Oh look, another dismissive pathetic attempt to win an argument by insulting someone. Great work.

>Except we don't. The only serious atheists I know argue from a number of complementary positions:

"The only true scotsmen I know..."

>1. There is no convincing evidence for a particular deity

Argument from ignorance.

>2. The universality and plurality of supernatural beliefs strongly suggests that there is a fundamental psychological need which religious belief fulfils (i.e. supposed answers to the great questions of life)

Which is what Atheists seek in Government and Secular Ideology.

>3. The history of organised religion is one of dogma, privilege and the accrual of wealth.

Red herring in the extreme. The history of mankind is one of dogma, privilege and the accrual of wealth. Religion is not necessary for this to be the case, as is quite evident in contemporary times. Atheists as a whole are no more or less righteous than Theists as a whole.

>Based on these three simple observations, the likely existence of a god of any kind is vanishingly small.

The chances of being killed in a plane crash caused by a lightning strike are vanishingly small. Some 300+ individuals have died in aforementioned situation. Compared to the total number of people who have flown in airplanes over the last few decades that percentage is practically nothing, and yet it happens.

"Chance" is the Atheist's version of Providence.

>That was something you said I would say back at the start of this discussion. And I pointed out that it made you look stupid.

You're still doing exactly what I said Atheists do: Blindly follow abstract conceptualizations of ideas regardless of how illusory they really are while turning around and pretending your bullshit is better than their bullshit.

Take a hint from the Socratic Paradox pal. You don't know shit. Nobody does.
>>
>>68071940
Why did God create cancer?
Why did an innocent, literal 2 hour old baby contract and suffer from cancer? What did it do wrong?
What piece of garbage would deliberately inflict that upon a creature that doesn't even understand it's own existence yet?
>>
File: communism11.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
communism11.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
>>68065645
>Everything came from a tiny lil dot of energy.
>That lil dot of energy came from nowhere
>science!
atheism in a nutshell
>>
>>68071886
>Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of a god. That is not "my" definition, it is the definition of several dictionaries and also common sense.
Pic related. It can also be a lack of belief, for example, like a baby. A baby hasn't made a concious decision to reject a deity, they simple lack that belief.

the below link may help you understand this with your tiny theistic, monkey brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_and_explicit_atheism
>>
>>68072284
I don't have all the answers; but life is hard for everyone.
>>
>>68071942

Well, if such a supreme being does exist, he would have created logic and all of the other laws too right? Would logic apply to him. NO! Does time exist? NO! Such a being would not be bound by anything. The laws of physics or any other laws do not apply. Much like how everything within a software program is restricted to the program itself. Or do you need something written in python in order to go to the store and get a gallon of milk?
>>
>>68072186
or it could be because a cure for cancer is COMPLEX

Cancer is not caused by a bacteria, nor a virus, nor a parasite, nor a fungus, nor a mold, its you, its your cells that refuse to go under cell mediated apoptosis and multiply at far faster rates
>>
>>68072272
Like I said again, you can't know the intentions of God. It's obvious he wants his creations to heed his will out of their own violations.
>>
>>68072190

except Catholics tried to suppress Darwinian evolution for years and tried to suppress information proving that the earth spins and revolves around the sun.
>>
>>68072349

They don't claim that at all retard. They claim that's as far back as they can see. Do you even edumucation?
>>
>>68071541

How do you know those babies have a "soul" or are actually relevant to anything other than those around them? How do you know it's not just a little meat puppet that exists for a short period of time? You don't. You just identify suffering as an inherently negative experience and ignore the effect that the suffering has on those who observe it.

You are essentially a Hedonistic Utilitarian, which is the shittiest kind of Utilitarian.
>>
>>68072186
Or it's more likely we don't know how to fix such a broad and complicated condition like cancer. I know your stupid ass has never looked at a medical textbook.
>>
>>68072357
A baby lacks belief because it is not aware of the choice.

Once you are presented with the possibility, you can only either believe on it or not believe. There is no such thing as saying "I will not believe in it but I will not not believe in it either". If you are not believing it, by definition you are disbelieving it, save for the exception of the baby that wasn't aware of the situation.

>tiny theistic brain
Like Isaac Newton?
>>
>>68072380
I'm speaking particularly of the idea of the benevolent, all powerful, willful God. If this same being is now supposedly not bound by anything, what would lead anyone to believe they have the faintest clue what He is like?
>>
>>68065998
B8
>>
>>68071889
>The universe is by definition everything that exists.
Completely wrong. The Universe is

>all existing matter and space considered as a whole

God is immaterial and transcendent, so he is neither matter nor part of space.
>>
>>68072435
And I'll say again, you can't be all-powerful and have intentions at the same time. It makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>68071886
The flaw in your logic is that you seem to accept religious belief as a status quo. It isn't.

I'm happy to admit the possibility that god(s) exist, just like I'm happy to admit the possibility of millions of other improbable phenomena. Where we disagree is your supposition that god(s) need somehow to be disproved. They don't. We simply need to stop paying attention to the people who believe in them.
>>
>>68069676
>And of course, Theism makes much more sense.
Sure it does anon.
>>
>>68072565
It party requires the will of the person who has it. They are discovering cures that destroy the cancer cells and leave the others intact. But why do these medicines never become available? Because they don't want a cure.
>>
Guys, guys.

Guys.

What if.

What if, guys.

What if God exists but he's evil?
>>
>>68065645
delete this
>>
File: 1455674435802.png (545 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1455674435802.png
545 KB, 640x640
>>68072196
Wrong.
EPISTIVISTS only believe things with evidence.
Athiests claim not to believe theists.

You are shifting the goalposts.

Thiesm has evidence? What horseshit.
What is interesting is that claiming supernatural causation HAS NEVER ADVANCED OUR UNDERSTANDING OF A PHENOMENA EVER.

Theist claims are either
a) UNINVESTIGATABLE
eg spagetti monster
or b) When investigated WERE SUMMARILY DISPROVEN.

And thats being nice about it.

>proceeds to claim there is evidence, does not present any

Evidence, in science, proves ONLY ONE POSSIBLE CONCLUSION, that other COMPETING conclusions CANNOT ACCOUNT FOR.

There is NOTHING you can present as support for most religions that couldn't be accounted for by, for starters, OTHER RELIGIONS.

Check mate,theist
>>
>>68072717
>God is immaterial and transcendent

Interesting. Where did you learn this?
>>
File: XMKBuY1.png (373 KB, 928x1272) Image search: [Google]
XMKBuY1.png
373 KB, 928x1272
>>68072833
I found this on www.reddit.com and thought it was funny.
>>
>>68072566
the isaac newton meme. so smart he was retarded.

also died a virgin (thanks God)
>>
>>68071889
>God is by definition the creator of the universe.
And more...
>The universe is by definition everything that exists.
Everything known to exist, not existed or will exist, that's anthropomorphic.
>Therefore, if there is no universe, nothing exists.
>implying nothing exists
>God cannot exist while nothing exists.
>God cannot have created the universe.
Oblivion is absence, chaos is formless.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
>God does not exist.
>>
>>68070709
Yeah right, as if you guys didn't immediately resort to fedoraposting when someone doesn't praise jebus. Stop trying to pull this holier than thou shit when your rethoric is fucking kindergarten namecalling -tier when you realize not everyone agrees with you.
>>
>>68065645
>too lazy to crop the ifunny tag
newfag.
>>
>>68072758
See >>68072196

>>68072750
I never said that gods need to be disproved, I said that if you are saying you only believe in proven things, and if you are saying that there is no god, then you have to prove it. If you can't do it then your condition for believing in something is not evidence and you are a hypocrite.

>I will admit to the possibility that god exists
If you were to admit that it's possible god exists, you'd be agnostic
>>
>>68072833

Did you even read Genesis? The knowledge of Good and Evil is Original Sin. The ability to declare that which we observe or do as Good or Evil is what fucked mankind over in the first place if you believe in the Creation story.
>>
File: 1386257089254.jpg (48 KB, 410x275) Image search: [Google]
1386257089254.jpg
48 KB, 410x275
>>68072833
>>
>>68072513
I don't think you realize just how large the burden of proof is on yourself right now. You're asking me to disprove things without you proving them first.
How do you know that anyone you've ever interacted with has a "soul"? What if you're the only one? How do you know Jesus wasn't just a soulless "meat sack"?
How do you know anything from that little book that somehow ended up being a completely different story depending on where you are in the world? To me that sounds like someone invented religion as a tool to tame a wild and immoral society and the more those words traveled across the planet the more they were misinterpreted. Like a global-scale game of Telephone.
>>
>>68073053
AGNOSTIC AND ATHEIST ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE

KILL YOURSELF
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 500x281
>>68072938
>play the sims
>make one of my sims die
>wait for grim reaper to come knocking
>trap him in the couch for eternity
>hide the sim's body in a doorless room so the other family members are not upset
>they live with the grim reaper couch forever
Imagine if God was this cruel.
>>
File: god.jpg (51 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
51 KB, 526x526
I don't think /pol/ is satire, but I do think that /pol/ being Christian is a meme.
>>
>>68072938
That seems plausible. Why Christians and atheists only talk about a loving god existing or not?

>>68073085
I'm not talking about the Christian god but a hypothetical omnipotent sadist.

>>68073135
Then he's malevolent and we're fucked.
>>
A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.
>>
>>68072898
>Atheists do not claim they only believe with evidence
Sure, a few 5% of them are reasonable like that, but the other 95% like to wave their scientist cock around after they watched 20 minutes of Discovery Channel.

>Theism has no evidence
It's mostly historical evidence. There's historic evidence that Jesus existed, that he was executed, and that three days later the place where his body was ended up empty. You could say that his disciples stole his body but there were guards guarding it as well as a huge ass stone blocking the way, and it's worth noting that the Roman empire hated Jesus, so they'd have literally nothing to grain from forging fake documents to make people believe he existed when he didn't.

Also, are you from Reddit? It's EXTREMELY irritating to see people that capitalize SPECIFIC words as if THAT would make their idea CONVEYED more EASILY when in REALITY it only MAKES the text HARDER to READ.

>Theist claims are either uninvestigatable or disproven
Are the Bible prophecies uninvestigatable? How can they be disproven if hundreds of them already happened and were therefore proven right? The best you can do here is say "J-Just a bunch of hundreds of coincidences...! :-(". You can find in the Bible passages that hint on a round Earth, and it was written over a thousand years before they came to that conclusion.

>Check mate
It's "checkmate"
>>
>>68073483
>Muslim
>atheist
Pick one because you can't be both
>>
File: 1457771504289.jpg (24 KB, 480x590) Image search: [Google]
1457771504289.jpg
24 KB, 480x590
>>68073483
I love this pasta.
>>
>>68070036
He truly did create us in his own image.
>>
>>68072927
>God has also been conceived as being incorporeal (immaterial)
>The Christian God's transcendence is implied by his omnipresence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendence_(religion)
>>
If God exists, but he didn't believe in himself, what would that mean?
>>
File: 32.jpg (28 KB, 390x310) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
28 KB, 390x310
>>68073537
>You could say that his disciples stole his body but there were guards guarding it as well as a huge ass stone blocking the way, and it's worth noting that the Roman empire hated Jesus, so they'd have literally nothing to grain from forging fake documents to make people believe he existed when he didn't.

>Therefore he must have been resurrected by this omnipotent, all-seeing space father!

Theists are so fucking dumb
>>
>>68073710

Cool ad hominem fallacy bro
>>
>>68073596
In this day and age you can be anything you want to, you privileged white male. It's not 2015 anymore for G-d's sake!
>>
>>68073207

>I don't think you realize just how large the burden of proof is on yourself right now. You're asking me to disprove things without you proving them first.

You keep throwing around the term "burden of proof" as if it makes one side right or wrong. It doesn't. You have no proof you're right. You have no proof that I'm wrong.

Suffering of children is irrelevant to this discussion. It's an appeal to emotion. Get over it.

>How do you know that anyone you've ever interacted with has a "soul"? What if you're the only one? How do you know Jesus wasn't just a soulless "meat sack"?

Gee, it's almost like the answer to these questions is floating just out of your reach. I'll go ahead and give it to you: I don't know. You don't know. Nobody knows, which means you're just as full of shit as they are.

>How do you know anything from that little book that somehow ended up being a completely different story depending on where you are in the world? To me that sounds like someone invented

Oh you mean kind of like the words we're using to communicate right now? Or maybe the medium by which we are communicating otherwise known as the Internet? Or maybe the laws that allow us to speak freely about religion without being executed for heresy or treason? How about the societies and civilizations that preceded us and allowed these things to be created in the first place? They're all shit somebody invented, dipshit.

>religion as a tool to tame a wild and immoral society and the more those words traveled across the planet the more they were misinterpreted. Like a global-scale game of Telephone.

So your argument is that because many religions might be wrong, they must all be wrong? Real fuckin' logical.
>>
File: 1457756095389.jpg (90 KB, 518x620) Image search: [Google]
1457756095389.jpg
90 KB, 518x620
>>68073483
I believe it. Amen~
>>
>>68065645
Again a theist misrepresenting the atheist argument out of defensiveness. Not a lot of confidence in your "faith"?
>>
>BELIEVES HIS 185 MILLIONTH GRANDFATHER WAS A FISH

Argument from disbelief fallacy.

You know how you, that 5'10 200lbs male started off as? YEP. That microscopic thing cell with a tail swimming around.
>>
>>68073710
Care to point out then how a body can disappear from some sort of cave that is blocked by a huge stone and being guarded by Roman soldiers? Jesus had predicted he would resurrect three days after his death beforehand, so that conclusion is not as insane as it sounds. And yes, Jesus' prediction is also documented.
>>
>>68073986
>so that conclusion is not as insane as it sounds

Yes it is as insane as it sounds. Because you're talking about magic.
>>
>>68073881
>sperm-can-be-superfood-130604-670.jpg
>>
>>68072725
What the fuck are you talking about?

Explain.
>>
>>68069537
This is intentional, it's God's way of keeping the worldwide negro population in check. Atheists tend to be flaming liberals so they always reject this argument.
>>
>>68073053
>if you are saying that there is no god, then you have to prove it
No, because the claim that god exists is man-made. I treat the beliefs in Yahweh, Allah, Odin and Zeus, much like I treat the beliefs in purple spotted hippos dancing to Swan Lake. I can't prove it never happened, and I don't much care.

But the important fact you seem not be grasping is that the gods, unlike the purple spotted hippos, are actual beliefs that have pervaded society for millennia. You (or at least your ancestors) have advanced the notion that they are real. I am saying that in every specific case, there is no evidence to believe the myth. That makes me an atheist.

I'm also an aflyingteapotist, an adonkeyheadedmonkeycockmonsterist, and an atortoiseofallknowledgist. If you want to dream up an agnostic position for each of those things, then be my guest. But it won't change my position.
>>
>>68074074
It's not magic, it's a miracle.

As I said before, I encourage you to point another possibility at how the events unfolded. Go ahead, give me a load of scientifically proven explanation that can be confirmed by examining some pussysaurus fossil.
>>
>>68073881
I'm amazed at the fact that a microscopic tadpole and a single cell egg can turn into something so complex as a fully grown human with its own mind and thoughts and will.
>>
>Maybe if I argue from ignorance REALLY HARD this time those evil atheists will finally convert
>>
>>68065645
*tips bible*
>>
>>68073834
>You have no proof you're right. You have no proof that I'm wrong.

same thing applies to you

>many religions might be wrong, they must all be wrong? Real fuckin' logical.

none of them can prove they're right
>>
>>68073834
>keep throwing around the term "burden of proof" as if it makes one side right or wrong
except there is a right side. You don't assume everything exists and only not believe something exists when it's been disproved do you? No, because it's completely fucking illogical. You assume things don't exist until they are proven to exist.
>>
>>68074173
>I treat the beliefs in Yahweh, Allah, Odin and Zeus, much like I treat the beliefs in purple spotted hippos dancing to Swan Lake

>that you don't ask for for people's opinions on a multiverse
>>
>>68074178

>I don't understand something so therefore god

You are an embarrassment to formal apologetics.
>>
>>68068819
>waco had anything to do with atheism
>>
>>68074178
easy. disciples were sad and cried so much that they caused a flood. then noah came with his arc and he let jebus out through the hidden backdoor, whilst all the romans were away to change their footwear (sandals being their number one choice, but due to wet surroundings they had to change into a more waterproof choice of footwear).
>>
File: 1438209192368.jpg (65 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
1438209192368.jpg
65 KB, 500x435
>>68074173
I am only saying you have to prove it because most Atheists claim they only believe with proof.

>I dont have to prove anything because there's no proof it exists in the first place
And there it is, the classic "If it can't be proven to exist, it is proven to not exist"

You wouldn't need to prove it didn't exist if it was proven to exist because, well, then it'd be proven it exists, you genius.

>there is no evidence to believe the myth
I sort of pointed like four evidences though? See >>68073537

And I didn't even enter the subject of documented miracles.
>>
>>68072717
>God is immaterial and transcendent, so he is neither matter nor part of space.

In other words, god is just an idea.

>>68072996
> that's anthropomorphic.

No, it's just what the word means. "Universe" is the category to which all extant things belong.

>Oblivion is absence
Yes. Absent of all things. God is not a thing, or god was not there.
>>
>>68071172
Proof that God does in fact exist..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kkNfH4yco

If you don't believe after watching at least 30 seconds of the video you are literally insane.
>>
>autists on this board ACTUALLY believe the supernatural isn't real
>>
>>68073986

Well, I think you and I both know that one day, all of what is defined as "rational" is going to go by the wayside. One day all of mankind will be in for a very rude awakening.

After all, can one really define what is rational? If you lived on another world, would the thought of arrogant, skin-covered, upright walking beings be rational? Would a place called "Earth" that once had huge creatures called "dinosaurs" be rational? If someone says "yes" then they have no reason to say that unicorns, or other such creatures are irrational. Also, this certainly does not rule out the possibility of a God, or make such a belief "irrational."
>>
>>68074282
>same thing applies to you

Boy, he's starting to get the point. If I could give you a golf clap through the internet I would.

>none of them can prove they're right

While you can't prove them wrong, thus rendering this entire discussion meaningless. You're all just barking at eachother over a hamfisted conceptual understanding of the world that exists around you.

>>68074303

>No, because it's completely fucking illogical. You assume things don't exist until they are proven to exist.

I'll tell you what's illogical: Making any kind of assumption whatsoever without any proof. That's fucking illogical. You're fucking illogical.
>>
>>68074355
No, you are wrong. As I said before, Jesus predicted he would resurrect in three days BEFOREHAND. We are not saying it was God just because we don't know how else it happened. We are saying it was God because Jesus literally said he would resurrect, and that was documented by several men.

>>68074429
Anon you still have to explain what would be that "more waterproof choice of footwear"
>>
>>68074231
I wish we had a meme similar to fedoraposting for when buttmad Christians go over board.
They are a lot more annoying because noone ever brings up Christianity on this board but themselves.
>>
>>68074120
i think he means if you were all powerful, you would just do it.
you wouldn't want to do it, or want something to happen, you would just will it to happen immediately
or something, idk american education
>>
File: 1449877761613.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1449877761613.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>68073834
>Nobody knows
That about sums up your entire response.
>Real fuckin' logical.
Faith is devoid of logic and the fact that you'd ask someone to disprove something which has never been proven in the first place exposes how delusional and scared you really are. I would hate to have some of my earliest founding memories be tainted by fearmongering horse shit before my mind had the capacity to pick apart such things with logic and reject them from my brain. I'm honestly sorry that happened to you.
You just not believe until proven otherwise. That is what a 'Real fuckin' logical' person would do. But instead, you're trapped. They got you whilst you were young. I'm sorry mate.
>>
>>68074603
a sturdy boot made of baby jews' foreskins
>>
File: 1457705281085.jpg (167 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1457705281085.jpg
167 KB, 690x460
>heretics think their opinion matters
>>
>>68066510
your post gave me cancer
>>
File: 1458265822886.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1458265822886.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>protestants
>>
>>68074438
>I don't have to disprove anything because there's no proof it exists in the first place.

Fixed that for you. It may only seem like a small change but, really, it's quite significant.
>>
File: deception.jpg (27 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
deception.jpg
27 KB, 600x480
>>68074480
You will burn in hell for this fuckery!
Pic unrelated
>>
File: 1454130047592.jpg (15 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1454130047592.jpg
15 KB, 250x200
>>
>>68074441
No, it's just what the word means. "Universe" is the category to which all extant things belong.

You would probably think that events happen before they're observed, so don't define the universe by some model that conflated to make you think your experience of time is universal, instead of inherent to the this instance that is cognition.
>>
>>68071489
Atheism is not an ideology my friend. It is merely the absence of belief in God.
>>
File: 1442343490004.jpg (86 KB, 790x818) Image search: [Google]
1442343490004.jpg
86 KB, 790x818
>>68074810
Was that your only qualm with my post? Then I guess I got most of my points across.
>>
>>68074708

Faith does not require proof. It is a "belief." Do you know the difference between a belief and a claim?
>>
All I know is 20 years ago I figured out I didn't believe the stuff I was being told in church. None of it felt genuine. In the decades since I've found out that I don't have a spiritual void at all. There are no questions there that I need answered. There is no fear that I need calmed. I don't have faith in a higher being but that doesn't define me. I almost never think about the matter at all.

What bothers me is how mad my indifference makes believers. It doesn't have any impact on you at all if I don't believe. I don't try to convert anyone, I don't argue with you. I mind my own business and numerous times some shithead will ask me my faith and get really upset when I tell them. Just fuck off and do your own thing. Leave me out of it.
>>
>My fictional character predicted his own existence on one of his fantastical adventures during the Desert Trilogy 2nd edition.

Who cares. Got any evidence?
>>
>This thread
Are americans having a giggle or are they all retarded?
>>
>>68074976
No, but it was the fundamental point.

Enjoy your cuppa.
>>
>>68071765
Is this a sincere question? Virus evolve. Medicine exerts evolutionary pressure on virus causing them to adapt and become resistant to the drug acting against it over successive generations of mutating viruses.
>>
>>68075003
it is because deep down they are scared little mongs
>>
>>68074441
>In other words, god is just an idea.
No idea. I was just pointing out the huge hole in that other guy's argument. But anyway, I don't think being immaterial necessarily means he's simply defined as an idea. It probably just means he's not part of the physical world, but of a metaphysical one.
>>
>>68074650
HOL UP
>Commits dark ages
YOU BE SAYIN
>Goes on a crusade, kills other Europeans
DAT WEZ
>Protests dead soldiers funeral for the lord
OR THAT IZ
>Wants to ban everything he doesn't understand because it's satanic
GON BE GOING TO HEAVEN N SHIEET?
>Speaks in tongues
>>
>>68074839
You can't tell me you didn't convert to Christianity watching that video. At the very least, you realized that the design is in fact intelligent.
>>
File: laughingbeecher.jpg (22 KB, 266x350) Image search: [Google]
laughingbeecher.jpg
22 KB, 266x350
>>68074708

>That about sums up your entire response.

Yeah, it does. Congratulations you figured it out.

>Faith is devoid of logic and the fact that you'd ask someone to disprove something which has never been proven in the first place exposes how delusional and scared you really are.

If you think Atheism does not require faith in the absence of such an entity in the face of the faith in the presence of such an entity then you're willfully blind and have a serious confirmation bias problem. This entire discussion is based on either the faith in a deity or the lack thereof, and will inevitably devolve into a semantic dispute.

>I would hate to have some of my earliest founding memories be tainted by fearmongering horse shit before my mind had the capacity to pick apart such things with logic and reject them from my brain.

Ah, I see, you're one of -those- Atheists. The kind that got mad at organized religion and blamed religion itself rather than the people who practice it. How cute.

>You just not believe until proven otherwise.

You believe that God doesn't exist. That is still belief. Go ahead and start pulling a semantic argument, show everybody just how fucking retarded and paradoxical your worldview really is.

>But instead, you're trapped. They got you whilst you were young. I'm sorry mate.

Joke's on you, I'm not even religious. I'm just sick and tired of Atheists pretending they know something that Theists don't. You're all just a bunch of sad little monkey-things grasping at the darkness around yourselves and desperately trying to make sense out of it, one way or the other. Religious people latch on to their Church, Atheists latch on to their State. You're all disgusting.
>>
>>68074876
>You would probably think that events happen before they're observed, so don't define the universe by some model that conflated to make you think your experience of time is universal, instead of inherent to the this instance that is cognition.

I haven't said that unobserved things do or don't exist. I'm not conflating anything. I haven't said anything about "the observed universe" as distinguished from the "unobserved universe" They're both part of the universe.
>>
>>68074978
Yes, a belief is something you can't convince a rational mind to accept.
You are brainwashed and everything you just said is useless and redundant.
>>
File: 1441353644578.jpg (40 KB, 387x624) Image search: [Google]
1441353644578.jpg
40 KB, 387x624
>>68075107
But I can easily refute that by saying that "disprove" is a synonym of "proving that (something) is false" as is the definition of several dictionaries, so the structure of my phrase remains literally the same.

No matter how hard you try to make your views make sense, they don't. I only hope that by this point you realize I am not just a "theistic monkey with tiny brain". You probably defeated several believers in debates because they weren't prepared to debate and weren't even willing in the first place. I am different. I did in-depth researched, prepared myself years ago and I am willing to debate, so you can't dismiss my points with your usual arguments so easily.
>>
>>68075178
>successive generations

If we know that than we must find the cure the completely destroys the virus. Not allow it to live for more generations. By doing that we are simply prolonging the enviable, and giving more profit to pharmaceutical companies.
>>
>>68075213
>le dark ages were a thing and crusades were bad dank maymay

Could you Jew any harder?
>>
>>68072284
I don't think God works like that. God lets man have free will and let's the laws of physics and evolution run their course. That means sometimes babies will have cancer. The alternative would be that we would all be puppets in gods puppet show. God loves us too much to control every detail of our lives and how the universe runs. He wants meaning and free choice to exist so therefore there's no choice but for things to be this way.
>>
>>68075003
Good post. I agree completely.
>>
>>68075186
>It probably just means he's not part of the physical world, but of a metaphysical one

And what distinguishes metaphysical worlds from imaginary worlds?

>No idea. I was just pointing out the huge hole in that other guy's argument.
It's not a huge hole if you don't even know what your objection means.
>>
File: next level.jpg (65 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
next level.jpg
65 KB, 500x667
>>68075247
If by convert you mean I prayed to God Almighty to make it stop then yes.
You are wise.
>>
>>68075344

Oh I get it. You are too dumb to answer the question.
>>
>>68075003
It happens with the religious too. I've seen my fair share of people laughing at me when they ask me my religion and I say it. Both sides got their share of vocal folks.
>>
File: 1450660570006.png (22 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
1450660570006.png
22 KB, 178x178
>>68075505
>crusades were bad dank maymay
>4th crusade
>not a flop
t. urk
>>
I think atheists are just pissed off because of the mere possibility that God exists. It's like they are butt hurt over it.
>>
>>68075632
>And what distinguishes metaphysical worlds from imaginary worlds?
Metaphysical ones are ones that exist but can't be seen. Imaginary ones don't exist at all.

>It's not a huge hole if you don't even know what your objection means.
It is though, the Universe is not "by definition everything that exists". So my post could've stopped right there.
>>
>>68075265
Not believing is the default state of being. You can't believe in a God until you are introduced to the concept of a God. If you believe in a God as soon as you're told they exist without evidence you are not being rational. This is why Atheism is rational. If there is ever evidence for a God, I will believe. But there isn't. The fact that you don't understand this shows that you have a substantial lack of self-awareness.
>>
>>68075588
yep
>>
>>68075771
>I think atheists are just pissed off because of the mere possibility that God exists. It's like they are butt hurt over it.

It's a duty we have to society to challenge and ridicule bad ideas that somehow become pervasive.
>>
No credible atheist will say "God doesn't exist and that's a fact".I've heard people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins (both of whom are WAY smarter than anyone on /pol/) have dealt with this very topic many times in the past, and they will always say that the god(s) of any religion that have been put forth since man are bullshit because they all contain different creation stories, none contain dinosaurs or provide a logically reasonable explanation as to how the earth came about. However, they know that they cannot say with 100% certainty that any God doesn't exist because that is unscientific given that they cannot prove that beyond a doubt, and given the constraints of human existence that is obviously impossible. However, there is no proof of God anywhere in the observable universe, and the advances in science that we have made over the centuries have destroyed God's credibility entirely, and so therefore one can be an atheist (skeptic) who knows that he can't deny God's existence entirely and still be considered to be winning the argument given the fact that the claims of religions have been proven false entirely, and there are only bad reasons to believe in whichever god's real existence.
>>
>>68072284
The problem here is that you are assuming a very large number of incorrect things. You are assuming that:

>God is the one who makes people get cancer
>Bad things only happen as consequence of bad acts
>God deliberately created cancer (a disease that happens naturally from the misbehaving of cells) just to mess up with innocent babies

Either way, the "evil exists therefore there is no omnipotent god" has been debunked centuries ago. If you do a simple Google search you'll be able to thesis that are dozens of pages long.
>>
>>68075588
>free will
>2 hours old baby
>>
>>68075875

I also have a duty to challenge and ridicule your ideas. Someone has to put the wannabe intellectuals and skeptics in their place too.
>>
>>68075881
Yep, I am an atheist. I don't say god doesn't or can't exist, I just see no reason that a god has to exist or any reason to suspect that there is one.
>>
>>68075391
>But I can easily refute that by saying that "disprove" is a synonym of "proving that (something) is false"
No, that simply won't do. If I were to express a doubt about the existence of Brazil, for example, then I would be required to substantiate that claim, or be relegated to the short bus. However, if I were to express the same doubt about the existence of Trumponia, then I would (justifiably) ask the proponents of that mythical country to provide evidence first.

I can't prove a negative, but if someone proposes a positive, I'm free to say that's bollocks, mate. Your move, squire.
>>
>>68075835

>Metaphysical ones are ones that exist but can't be seen. Imaginary ones don't exist at all.

Ahh, so god only created the universe we can see. He didn't create the universe we can't see.
>>
>>68075771
No my friend. You are butthurt over the fact someone doesn't share the same opinion as you.

I genuinely think world would be a better place if humanity never discovered any religion at all. It only creates problems. Pointless discussions on taiwanese image boards, wars, murders...
>>
>>68075849
>Not believing is the default state of being.

Naturalistic fallacy.

>You can't believe in a God until you are introduced to the concept of a God.

Then who came up with the concept of God? Checkmate Atheists.

>If you believe in a God as soon as you're told they exist without evidence you are not being rational.

If you believe in a God as soon as you're told they exist then you're technically correct insofar as the God in question exists as an idea in your head. Do you believe in the concept of God? If you didn't then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Whoops.

>This is why Atheism is rational. If there is ever evidence for a God, I will believe. But there isn't.

There's that argumentum ad ignorantiam again. That's fallacious by the way. As in, it is inherently irrational.

>The fact that you don't understand this shows that you have a substantial lack of self-awareness.

The fact you keep making the same case over and over again despite it being filled full of so many holes that it's about as structurally valid as a 22 year old college slut's hymen tells me you're about as self aware as the toaster in my kitchen.
>>
>>68075588
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. What a loving God he must be
>>
>>68075970
So you admit your original post was a lie?

>I also have a duty to challenge and ridicule your ideas.
If you recognize this as a duty, then you know why atheists challenge you.
>>
>>68075914
>God deliberately created cancer (a disease that happens naturally from the misbehaving of cells) just to mess up with innocent babies
God may or may not have created it, but he can stop it, he won't though. He seems pretty alright with it desu family and it's only going to keep happening.
>>
>everyone in this thread

Kek. Nobody here is religious anyway, we just recognize that Christianity has been more beneficial than not for Western civilization, Cultural Christianity is a thing, you know. The whole "EBERYDING TO DOO WIT RELIJUN ESPESHULLY CHRISDINS ID BAD" is just the latest Jew scheme to control us.
>>
>>68071208
No, one thing is based on natural processes we have observed the other is a thing that is supernatural, unobserved and outside of the realm of current possibility.
>>
>>68075881

Richard Dawkins is smarter than anyone of here? Nice logic. Your argument is flawed from the beginning. I do not have to respect Richard Dawkins or assume that he is somehow "smarter" than me or anyone else. Intelligence is relative. Some people are good at being and engineer, and some people are good at being a doctor. To say that Dawkins is smarter than anyone on here? Such a statement is stupid in itself. Do you know all of us? SURE! I know that someone can look at the 4chan server logs and get our IP. Maybe some of us can use proxies and hide that way, but even then, I don't think you know us well enough to say that. There are plenty of people in this world with an IQ much higher than Richard Dawkins.
>>
>>68066924
>What does religion have to do with the existence of a God?

This is the literally the dumbest response I've ever seen to any subject in my life. The confidence and combativeness is even more astounding considering just how fucking dumb it is. Wow.
>>
>>68076110
>Ahh, so god only created the universe we can see. He didn't create the universe we can't see.
According to the Nicene Creed, he created both.

"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."
>>
>>68076130
>taiwanese image board
No, this is a Azerbaijani shoe-making image board.
>>
>>68076177
>Who came up with the idea of God. Checkmate atheists.
Humans have a natural predisposition to explain unknown phenomenon with the idea of God. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
>>
>>68071208
god does in fact party it up from time to time in the andromeda nebula
>>
>>68075881

One could argue that the universe itself is proof.
>>
>>68076430

>Not believing is the default state of being.
>Humans have a natural predisposition to explain unknown phenomenon with the idea of God.

Pick one, because they can't both be true.
>>
>>68076358
>>68076358
>"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."

Then my argument isn't flawed.
God created the universe
God created all things that exist
>>
>>68076350

Well, it is a fallacy. You are assuming that these two men are smarter than people that you have never fucking met.
>>
>>68075673
Without the crusades the entire bottom half of Europe would have been a fucking Islamic caliphate by now.
>>
>>68076015
What do you mean? You can prove Trumponia doesn't exist with the use of a map. If they claim that Trumponia is in this specific spot of the map, they can be disproven because said spot at the map is empty and any meaningful land mass is categorized by this year, not to mention you'd be able to use Google Earth to look up that specific land mass from a satellite. If they point to an already-existing land mass and point it is Trumponia, you can use Geography to prove that said land mass actually belongs to X country.

>I can't prove a negative
I am inclined to believe you misworded that because it is extremely easy to prove negatives.

The actual difficulty would be proving the nonexistence of something that has no logical arguments supporting its own existence in the first place, such as a teapot that is orbiting Uranus right now. The difference is that religious folks have their share of evidence, I brought up quite a few in this post: >>68073537

Therefore, it should be possible to disprove God's existence IF God didn't exist, but he does exist. After all, God's existence is logical after examining evidence. Even if you make different conclusions of the evidence I mentioned, it is undeniable that believing in God is not insanity or irrationality.
>>
>>68076177
>Then who came up with the concept of God? Checkmate Atheists.
Someone who wanted to morally indoctrinate their people and decided to tell them that they are being watched at all times and their shit is gonna get fucked up if they don't start behaving.
Who came up with Sonic The Hedgehog?
>If you believe in a God as soon as you're told they exist then you're technically correct insofar as the God in question exists as an idea in your head.
What the fuck is this circular logic I'm reading?
>There's that argumentum ad ignorantiam again. That's fallacious by the way. As in, it is inherently irrational.
"Y-you're just arguing from a point of ignorance! T-that's why you don't believe!! Fuck yes, now I get to use the word fallacy again!! MOM GET THE CAMERA!"
We are both ignorant. The only difference between us is I strive to know more and I have no beliefs that are not based upon facts and evidence.
>>
>>68071489
Ayyyy lmaos put us here, silly goose
>>
Nice job everyone
>>
>>68070679

was just scrolling past this thread but my god, you really are a fucking dumb cunt aren't you
>>
>>68076350

How does a religion being right, or wrong have anything to do with whether or not a God exists. It's not that hard. Are you really that dumb?
>>
>>68065645
>is against incest
>believe everyone's millionth grandparents were the same two people
>>
File: Donald-Trump-How-To-Get-Rich1.jpg (32 KB, 455x679) Image search: [Google]
Donald-Trump-How-To-Get-Rich1.jpg
32 KB, 455x679
There is only one God
>>
>>68075947
What part of letting nature have its own run according to the laws of nature was difficult to understand? Cancer comes about because of mutations or stochastic cellular processes. This isn't God trying to be evil, it's just nature running its course.
>>
>>68076749

>Someone who wanted to morally indoctrinate their people and decided to tell them that they are being watched at all times and their shit is gonna get fucked up if they don't start behaving.

Boy that sounds familiar.

Oh right, the State.

>What the fuck is this circular logic I'm reading?

It's not circular logic you dipshit. The existence of the concept of God is an incontrovertible fact. You must believe in the concept else we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm tearing down the foundation of your pathetic argument if you didn't notice, but feel free to red herring as hard as you can.

>We are both ignorant. The only difference between us is I strive to know more and I have no beliefs that are not based upon facts and evidence.

Sure pal, that's why you're jerking yourself off and pretending you're intellectually superior to other people. Face it, you're in this to gratify your ego and spread your particular brand of bullshit just like they are. You're an secular evangelist, nothing more.
>>
>>68072283
>Argument from ignorance.

>hurr I have evidence for a God
>but not gonna tell ya!

>inb4 crying mary
>inb4 shared psychosis

>The chances of being killed in a plane crash etc.
That's not even comparable though, the likely existence of a 'God' (Especially a major Christian one that has magical powers) is so infinitesimally small it doesn't register within a millionth of a decimal point of being struck by lightning on a plane causing a crash. Nor does it register near the chances of life evolving.

>you can't know nothing
Philosophy is literally retarded at this point.
>>
>>68065645
It's stupid to be extremely passionate about the unknown.
Christians who believe in god, fine
Atheists who dont, fine.
Passionate atheists who say "no, god doesn't exist idiot!! There was a big bang where a bunch of nothing turned into something and here we are you fucking retard" are not helping which is why I hate dawkins, that and everything he says is lined with some patronizing bullshit.

Christians who passionately exclaim "something can't be made from nothing so it must have been Santa you fucking idiot" are just as bad. but most Christians I meet are at least not degenerate and generally much kinder.
>>
>>68076344
Attacking that statement is so frivolous, you've done literally nothing to disprove my argument whatsoever. Sure fag, I'll avoid ANY generalizations for arguments sake. Much like my religion argument, I cannot say for 100% certainty that Dawkins is smarter than you or anyone else on /pol/. However, given the number of embarrassingly stupid and illogical arguments in this thread such as the one you just made, I'm not too worried about that not actually being the case.
>>
>>68076224
It's impossible for humans to achieve free will when a omnipotent being keeps meddling with your life. If we assume free will is a good thing, therefore an omnipotent god will refrain from interfering with your life.

Just playing devil's advocate.

>>68076667
That specific crusade was fucking retarded though.
>>
>>68076503

They are both true. Not believing is the default state of being because it's what something does before it does anything. Not doing anything is the default state. Anything beyond "not doing anything" requires some level of effort or action.

Being hungry is the default state of being but humans have a natural predisposition to seek food and satiate their hunger.

Not believing is also the default state of being but people have a natural predisposition to seek something to believe in.

Without knowledge of a specific thing to believe in, you couldn't believe in it. It would require hearing the story first, meaning that the person in question would have to be acted on in some way.

If they're never acted on in that way, they'd never believe in anything specific.

Religious belief doesn't occur as an individual phenomenon but as a group phenomenon when people interact with each other.
>>
>>68076604
>Then my argument isn't flawed.
It is. The Universe is not "everything that exists", it is simply all existing matter and space considered as a whole. Matter and space are both observable things, therefore visible. Furthermore, because the definition of the Universe is simply limited to all matter and space, and Christian theology defines God as immaterial and transcendent, he is neither matter nor space, so his existence logically precedes the creation of the Universe if those axioms were to be accepted.

>God created the universe
Yes.

>God created all things that exist
Yes, both visible (our physical world) and invisible (his metaphysical one).
>>
>>68076693
>I brought up quite a few in this post
Oh dear god (or whatever), no you didn't.

>There's historic evidence that Jesus existed
The bible, and Josephus. Neither is a reliable historical source.

>that he was executed
No there isn't.

>and that three days later the place where his body was ended up empty
Oh, I see my mistake with the previous point, you seem to be confusing the bible with 'historic evidence'.
>>
>>68076224
God can stop it, but he won't. You must understand though that God does not exactly "send" cancer (at least not at 99% of the cases), God only allows it. The Bible tells that every single event takes place with God's allowance only.

First, understand that even evil and suffering can be used to teach and discipline others. Going through tough moments makes you better and more mature. Your suffering can also be someone else's saving grace, such as when you end up losing a job to someone else. Now, how would that baby's cancer bring anything good to anyone? I obviously can't tell because of my limited knowledge on the case. Do not interpret this as a "the baby was sacrificed for the greater good", there's much more to it and it's a complex subject, which is why I advise you to look up on the more complete thesis.

To exemplify my previous logic: I know a family that was going to have a baby with some genetic problem. It was actually supposed to die before it was even born, the doctors suggested abortion. The family refused and said they'd have the baby no matter what. As result, the baby was born alive, which left the doctors stumped as they had no idea how that happened. The baby lived for months and also managed to get several people to convert to Christianity after they saw the family's faith and the miracle. Something that seemed to be extremely bad and cruel at first glance changed the lives of dozens of people to something better.
>>
>>68075267
> I haven't said anything about "the observed universe" as distinguished from the "unobserved universe" They're both part of the universe.
So the universe is just a program, having certainty that things do and will occur in and of itself.
Vision is not light, sound is not air pressure.
I would say that math is purely imaginary, and not existing extrinsically albeit by our sympathetic notions that they are accredited in both our experiences. The foundations of all humanly knowledge is mathematic, yet these objects of thought preside no where in the phenomenon external to our thoughts. Proof is expounded by definition and deduction, in contrast to this experience which is purely inducted by a will not solely of yourself. Things only proceed from memory, however memory does not exist with in the rock as with knowledge. Yet it's form is given to us by which to organize it by our discretion, in ignorance to the possibly falsity of our experience to a world that does not provide itself qualities as we are knowing of.

We can't say that nothing exist because nothing is the lack of existence. We can however say that things are incidental to a effect, un-palpable to what our sentience is able to provide for us to reason. This is in gives compromise to the notions of the possibilities of the super-mundane.
>>
>>68077029

>That's not even comparable though, the likely existence of a 'God' (Especially a major Christian one that has magical powers) is so infinitesimally small it doesn't register within a millionth of a decimal point of being struck by lightning on a plane causing a crash. Nor does it register near the chances of life evolving.

It seems the point has flown straight over your head, circled back around the Earth, and passed over you once again. Chance is about as relevant to this discussion as anecdotes about personal experiences with God, because it's the same exact bullshit. It's just an illusory concept you made up to justify your own irrational beliefs.

>Philosophy is literally retarded at this point.

Then why do you feel the need to take part in this discussion? It seems you've come within spitting distance of my point but refused to acknowledge it: This discussion is meaningless and the only reason I'm taking part in it is to inform Atheists they're just as full of shit as Theists.
>>
>>68077208

There is no "default state of being" you ignorant fuck. Yet another retarded illusory concept for you people to latch on to and pretend you know what you're talking about. It's nothing but a naturalistic fallacy dressed up so you can show it off and pretend you sound intelligent.
>>
>>68077239
>There is no proof that Jesus existed!
Honestly, go educate yourself. The Roman census itself shows Jesus existed. You say "The Bible" as if it was a single book but it's a collection of dozens of books, so there are dozens of authors that wrote about Jesus on different times and without meeting each other. There are also other books that mention Jesus other than the Bible and Josephus, go do your homework because making a mistake like that is ridiculous.

>no proof he wasn't executed
See above

>the Bible is not historic evidence
It literally is and most knowledge we have on the Jews' backstory is based off it for example. The passages on the Bible are documents like any other, except for a few passages that only have music and poems.
>>
>>68077492
>The Roman census itself shows Jesus existed.
Source?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.