[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how bad are the police in america really? i'm gonna be spending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1.gif (100 KB, 540x348) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
100 KB, 540x348
how bad are the police in america really?
i'm gonna be spending a year in texas for university, a lot of the prep they give us has to do with avoiding the police, stuff along the lines of:
>if you say mate to the police they will think you're taking the piss and beat/arrest you
>you can actually get arrested for underage drinking
>you can actually get arrested for drinking in public
>at least 4 or 5 people from my uni get arrested on their year abroad in america per year
>if that happens you either have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a lawyer or take a "plea bargain" and go to jail
>the police have arrest quotas so they will look for any excuse to arrest you, none of the slap on the wrist don't do it again stuff you get here

is it really this bad /pol/? should i be worried?

also are american universities really as cucked as you guys make them look? what should i expect?
>>
>>68048764
>>if you say mate to the police they will think you're taking the piss and beat/arrest you

They will expect you to call them "sir", or something denoting their authority.

Are you underage?
>>
>>68048764

>i hear in america you can get arrested for breaking the law, is this true?!

yes dummy

when you're a guest in another country you should obey the law and not be a cheeky cunt
>>
>be polite
>everything works out fine, just as it should

>be a fucking retard
>wind up pumped full of bullets

Not a hard concept here guys.
>>
Be polite and obey the law and you won't have a problem.
>>
>>68048948
oh god i haven't called anyone sir since primary school

i am in america, not anywhere else
>>
>>68048764
>UT
You chose a top cuckversity. Barely less cucked than CU, Stanford, Harvard

Have fun checking your privilege
>>
>>68049169

Is there any (real) university in America that isn't a Cuckapalooza?
>>
>>68049169
it can't be that bad surely, i mean academically its rated pretty high, thats why i chose it
>>
University of Texas is definitely cucked. Go to Oklahoma University.
>>
You don't have to call cops "sir," just don't be a giant douche bag and you'll be fine.

Also, unless you join a nig lives matter protest, it's doubtful you'll even see the cops anyways.
>>
I go to Texas Tech, Cops will come to house parties and give fines to underage students, but they usually give a warning first to tell everyone to go home

Seriously, just be respectful and cops will return the favor and won't do anything unfair to you.
>>
File: 20160319173704_1.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160319173704_1.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
>>68048764
>act like an asshole and get uppity
>got shot if black
>tazed and tackled if white

>act polite
>and not a singe fuck was given that day
>>
>>68049286
Texas A&M or The Citadel
>>
Literal Austinfag here

Don't fuck around in Williamson County (North Austin), they (WilCo Sheriffs) will bust you for minor shit just because they hate people

Travis County (Austin Proper) is chill
Drinking in public isn't cool. Stick to the bars / don't bring beer with you on the sidewalk

No one takes 'Mate' as an insult, in fact it will probably be charming
>>
>>68049169
>>68049286
>>68049315
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/12/texas-guns-prompts-debate-over-dildos

This is where you're going bong. Straight into the lion's den. Sweeden is right though. A lot of them are this way. At least you'll be in Texas though. Just drive out of downtown if you want to breathe fresh air
>>
>>68048764
>Going to UT

Enjoy the liberal mecca of Texas.
>>
>>68049315
It is really bad.
>>
>>68049578
>>68049659

Can we have an Austin hate thread? Can we petition Trump to purge these faggots that ruined our state?
>>
>>68049382
>cops will actually shut down college house parties
fuck me don't they have anything better to do

>>68049390
i don't think british polite is the same as american polite though, like, obviously i'm not gonna try and antagonise a cop, but here we like, would never have to call them sir, we'd just talk to them like a normal person, with a bit of caution not to mention anything illegal
>>
>>68049578
>drive
>>
>>68049856
>would never have to call them sir

From what I understand you guys get uppity when somebody calls you "sir" unless you are a knight or some shit.

Here it is just common courtesy.
>>
>>68048764
Be respectful and cops will give you the benefit of the doubt. I've seen two britfags taken aside for pissing in public in Reno, and the cops let them go with a warning because they were obviously not dangerous
>>
>>68049561
i seriously can't even have a quiet beer in the park with my mates?
>>
UT isn't so bad. Austin is SJW as hell though. But overall it'll be a nice experience. Even if you don't like American football their games are fun as hell to tailgate at.

-Texan, from Dallas.
>>
File: daily_texan_blog_post.jpg (277 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
daily_texan_blog_post.jpg
277 KB, 650x433
>>68049856
On the bright side, some of these slags will probably slob on your knob because you're brittish. Just make sure you get a good lawyer
>>
>>68048764
>don't break the law
>don't be an asshole if you get caught breaking the law
>understand that the cop is just another person doing their shitty job
>don't make their job more shitty
You'll be fine
>>
>>68050062
>American football
>American

Cuck. We don't call brännboll "Swedish baseball", because that would be cuckish.
>>
File: rbz-UT-Open-Carry-Protest-14.jpg (269 KB, 2048x1402) Image search: [Google]
rbz-UT-Open-Carry-Protest-14.jpg
269 KB, 2048x1402
>>68049938
You should try to rent a car or something. You can't do much in Texas without one. Everybody has a car. Public transportation is Mexican tier
>>
>>68050062
i don't really understand what tailgating is, do i have to have a truck? do you guys just drink and drive all the time?
>>
>>68049938
It's not like you could drive anyway. Worst traffic I've ever seen (and I'm in Houston).

Yet when they try to expand the roads, the hippies protest cuz muh environment
>>
>>68048764
Fuck off we're full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQHghD3Ddw
>>
>>68049856
just give them a nod and a smile as you pass, that tells them you aren't scum
>>
>>68050243
i'm a student how the fuck am i meant to afford that?
i'll just make friends with someone with a big ass pickup truck or something
>>
>>68050062
>nice experience
>in Austin
People like you are the reason Dallas is turning to shit.
>>
>>68048764

Some can be shady as fuck, though I doubt it would be that much better in ol blighty. Most are fine, and some are downright decent. I have respect beyond words for the ones who work in large urban black populations, it would drive me insane. Beyond just the physical danger, I would not be able to cope with that constant sight, smell, and SOUND everyday, it would be like working in an insane asylum. Police who deal with inner city blacks and hold them at bay from some semblance of civilization do far more for this county than just about any profession, certainly far more than than soldiers have in 70 years. But then there's plenty of them who work in generally peaceful white areas and are still horrible.
>>
>>68050251
you sit outside of the stadium and grill food and get drunk before or during the game.

No we dont drink and drive all the time, only rednecks and niggers do that.
>>
>>68050251
No we uber to drink or get a dd. You don't necessarily HAVE to have a truck. But things are so spaced out in Texas it's really nice to have a car.
>>
>>68050409
but you don't seem to use public transport, how do you ever get drunk?
>>
>>68050251
It's just partying outside the stadium before the game starts.

UT football is terrible by the way.
>>
>>68048764
>Abroad
Go to some country that has culture mate. America has none whatsoever.
>>
>>68050377
that's hurricane Katrina's fault along with commiefornia expats
>>
>>68050409
that sounds fucking dope though, i'm hyped for texas barbecue
>>
>>68050533
Taxi/Uber
>>
>live in texas
>mom gets pulled over for running a stop sign
>her tail light is out
>driver's license just expired
>can't find her insurance
>gets verbal warning
You pretty much have to act like a nigger to get arrested. You will not ever talk to police unless you break the law. Police like to pick on younger people though because 16-26 year olds are fucking retarded.
>>
>>68049856

You don't have to call thrm sir you tard, one Swedish person telling you something does not make it true
>>
>>68050533
>but you don't seem to use public transport, how do you ever get drunk?

Depends on where you are. People in large cities use public transport all the time. in NYC its practically the only way around.

Most people use UBER,or have a designated driver
>>
File: event-2824128.jpg (223 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
event-2824128.jpg
223 KB, 1200x630
>>68050570
Speak for yourself. Austin has a strong cuck culture
>>
>>68048764

I think generally Americans serving in the military or police play up the hardass persona more than in other nations

America would be improved if all the police were instead British
>>
>>68050243
All of them look like kikes or beaners desu
>>
>>68049558
This
>>
File: PA_quidditch_IMG_2506.jpg (94 KB, 433x650) Image search: [Google]
PA_quidditch_IMG_2506.jpg
94 KB, 433x650
UT has quidditch. Don't you play that in bongland?
>>
Listen, Texas is just awful

There's really need to overcomplicate that
>>
>>68048764
Texas police are not to be fucked with. They pride themselves on being badasses, and they've probably got the highest rate of mentally ill cops outside of Florida.
>>
>>68050367
sell the car you have in bongland and buy a cheap truck, doesn't meed to bee a duely or anything
>>
>>68048764
Dont act entitled and dont act like a nigger
If the officer says do something you do it, dont think yiu know the law better than him.

Adress him as sir or officer not mate, man, dude, or bro.

And if you do get in trouble with the law, then congradulations, youre no better than a nigger.
>>
>>68050903
That's because they are.
>>
>>68050367
What I did was become a NEET.
Having friends helps though.
>>
>>68050570
nah america seems pretty interesting, you guys seem a lot more optimistic and fun than brits in general, i'm looking forward to american university 'cause it seems like going back to secondary school with all the social cliques, drinking being illegal again, and house parties.

plus its the only country where people don't hear a british accent and worry that i'm going to throw up on their historical monuments
>>
>>68048764
you'll be fine. We'll have campus carry by the time you get here.
>>
>>68050725
sounds pricey, is walking home from the club feasible in austin? i'm not made of fucking money
>>
>>68050367

Man you really did no research huh
>>
>>68051135
Depends on how far from 6th street you'll live
>>
>>68051056
I'm so sorry you are going to have to stay in the South anon.
>>
>>68050812
britain would be improved if we nuked you
>>
>>68051013
>implying i have a car
i'm a student, i'm poor
>>
File: 1389030443113.jpg (189 KB, 639x465) Image search: [Google]
1389030443113.jpg
189 KB, 639x465
>>68048764
>if you say mate to the police they will think you're taking the piss and beat/arrest you

If you're an Englishman, it's probably understandable to say "mate". Just remember to be courteous

Yes. Just don't drink in public and drink inside, you'll be good.

>the police have arrest quotas so they will look for any excuse to arrest you, none of the slap on the wrist don't do it again stuff you get here

The police don't have arrest quotas. that would be news to me since I was a patrolman for almost 12 years. Trust me, there's no shortage of people to arrest out there. There's no need to institute quotas.
>>
only the homeless drink in public nowadays
>>
>>68051135
UT is well within walking distance from bars.

There are also buses, metro rail, rent-a-bikes, pedicabs, uber/lyft, and smartcars for rent.

Getting around is exceedingly easy.

source: live in Austin
>>
>>68051245
Texas is not the South retard.
>>
Police love it when you challenge their authority and give them lip
>>
>>68049558

Texas A&M is getting there, although it's probably still one of least liberal ones. Fuck t.u. and all the tea-sipping weed-smoking hippies that go to it.
>>
>>68048764
This is why I chose A&M over UT. Austin is literally fucking cucked by degenerates.
>>
>>68051269
jesus, must suck to be a bong.
>>
>>68048764
You will be fine, don't be an ass TX police can be alright, just follow the laws, don't jaywalk in Austin though. Don't give money to the Dragrats though.
>>
>>68051300
can confirm this is exactly what i look like
>>68051419
tea sipping ay?
>>
>>68048764
Police are cool. It's because I don't act like a nigger.
>>
Just abide by the law and you'll be fine.
>>
>>68049315
its bad but the majority people are normal who just want to study or party. if you're in a STEM/business field you really won't have to deal with the sjw type
>>
>>68048764
Drinking in public is always a no no, unless it's for a city sanctioned event.
Underage drinking is definitely against the law they'll fuck you for it.
>mate
you should be alright, it's fine to be friendly with cops, just a respectful friendly. No banter at the cops expense.
Yes, our lawyers are expensive and the courts will fuck you.
Cops pretty much do have quotas. Some cops are bro-tier, some are assholes. Never rely on a cop being bro-tier though or you're asking to get fucked.
>>
i've lived in different states and have never had a bad experience with police, even when i was arrested for shoplifting in my younger years. i've found that if you're polite, nice, calm, predictable, easy going, then they will be with you too. it's just common sense, if you act like an asshole, are stressed out and nervous, are doing unpredictable things, then they're going to assume you're nuts and treat you differently.

but then again i'm a fucking white male, so what do i know?
>>
>>68050533

When you get out to these big, western, sparsely populated, middle of the country states, pubic transportation is going to be shit. Out there, everyone is driving by the time they're 16 years old. Its normal for middle class American families to have 4 cars.

Most colleges however will have some sort of shuttle bus system to get people around.
>>
>>68051462
nah not really, we have a working rail network and the country is pretty small so i've never really needed a car
>>
>>68051508
We call UT people tea-sippers because they tend to act like pretentious assholes, which is how we pretty much view the english...thus tea-sippers
>>
>>68049382
>Texas Tech
Isn't that the school with all of the Stacies and Chads who go there because they couldn't get into LSU?
>>
>>68051658
i study neuroscience
but i want to party, i'm worried i'll accidentally call somone a leftcuck while i'm drunk and get accused of rape
>>
>>68048764
If you are going to the School of McCombs expect some Marxism but not insane amounts of Marxism.

Familiarize yourself with Texas and you'll be fine.
Just don't dress up and start acting like Chuck Norris from Walker Texas Ranger the minute you get off that plane.
>>
>>68051680
>need
well, you're going to a country that has everythingspaced out so you'll be wanting one.
just don't party for a month or 2 and get a job to buy a car.
>>
>>68050812
Making such statements about foreign nations won't bring you friends. Keep out
>>
>>68051508

No one within 500 miles of Texas will be drinking hot tea, if you ask a restaurant for tea they're going to give you iced sweet tea with more sugar than a coke mixed with a mountain dew
>>
>>68051815
its easy to avoid that type, there's really not that many of them they were just ignored as children and feel the need to beg for attention
>>
>>68051665
here underage drinking is illegal but its like, unheard of for anyone to be arrested for it, if you're being a dick they'll give you a stern telling off and call your parents, if you're just chilling out in the park they'll be all like "stay safe kids"
>>
>>68048764
Your points, in order:

>No, not true. Cops don't beat people for calling them "mate". Christ.
>Yes, you can be arrested for breaking the law, dumbass.
>Yes, you can be arrested for breaking the law, dumbass.
>They probably broke the law.
>If you get arrested, you will need a lawyer, yes. If you can't afford one, one will be appointed for you, but they're usually a shitty overworked public defender. If you get arrested, you might go to jail, especially if you're guilty and it's a major crime. Minor offenses are usually a ticket and/or community service.
>Arrest quotas don't exist. Whoever told you about that learned about the American legal system from reddit. Some cops are understanding and will give a slap on the wrist, some will throw the book at you for anything. Don't act like a fucking hooligan in our country and you have nothing to fear.
>>
>>68049121
Well, then be prepared for an ass beating
>>
>>68050533
Just sober up a bit before you drive back. That's what I do
>>
>>68051680
Just get a horse. That's what most of us texans use to get around
>>
>>68051815
You can party, just be prepared to run/hide from the cops if it gets raided. If you stick to kickbacks and the like then you'll pretty much never have issues. It's pretty much only big noticeable parties that get raided.
Fugg, nostalgia.
>>
>>68051245
Are you from either NY or Cali?
>>
>>68051680

There are plenty of American cities and regions with exceptional public transportation- Texas is not one of them.
>>
>>68049315
UT is not that bad..Austin is a party city
>>
>>68052110
i turn 21 like half way through the year, will i still get fucked for being at a part with people who aren't?
>>
Unless you're a drunken asshole you wont have any trouble whatsoever.
>>
>>68048764

they will literally shoot you if they feel threatened at the slightest, dont make sudden moves, call them sir, kiss their ass
>>
>>68052276
>british
>not a drunken asshole
thats like telling an american not to eat burgers and shoot guns
>>
>>68052065
Yeah, in smaller towns they'd do the same here. In the city they just throw you in jail unless you or your family have ties with the police force in some way.
Honestly, the only way around this stuff is befriending cops. Years ago one of my roommates had a really good friend who was a cop and more than once he'd come over, see us smoking weed and NOPE the fuck out of there, but never really give a fuck.
>>68052267
More than likely no, not unless it's completely clear you know about the underaged people or helped to provide them with alcohol.
>>
>>68049856
>>cops will actually shut down college house parties
>fuck me don't they have anything better to do
They shut down any party if the people are acting like cunts and making too much noise when people are trying to sleep
>>
>>68049315

I went to OU, Texas is our "rival" school. That said, Texas is one of the best schools in the country academically and one of the most difficult "state schools" to get into.

The town, Austin, is often named as one of the best cities for young people in America due to its art and music scene; but because of this its full of hipsters.

Do you care more about your education or the people you will share your space with for four years?

Also campus police are a word apart from regular cops, they'll bust you for an open container, underage drinking, etc but they're not going to go Rodney King on your ass.
>>
>>68052064
yeah thats how it is here too, so the whole degenerates in universities thing isn't as big in america as it seems?
>>
They will ask you to be more formal
Usually no
Yes
>at least 4 or 5 people from my uni get arrested on their year abroad in america per year
Don't act like a british tourist
>if that happens you either have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a lawyer or take a "plea bargain" and go to jail
Don't do drugs or hurt people and you won't have a problem
The quotas are for fines, not arrests

Usually they will hear your accent/see your ID and cut you some slack. Just don't do anything blatantly illegal and you should be fine.
>>
Chris Rock on How to Not Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQDvYOt_iA
>>
>>68049315
Texasfag here. It's fine. It's a little more cucked than other universities in Texas but it's still a great school. It's ranked like 30-something internationally. Austin has a lot of Californians moving to it right now because rent is too high in Commiefornia. But now rent is really high in Austin because of them. Just keep to yourself and don't wear MAGA gear if you don't want to be bothered.
>>
>>68051359
>This

My niece Uber'd everywhere. She has a car, but traffic is terrible. Didn't want to fuck with driving
>>
>>68051680

Unless you're going to a commuter school, you're not going to need a car. Most college students do not have one.

That being said, having a car is wonderful and if you don't think you're going to own one in the UK anytime soon, could be an interesting part of the American experience. Cruising down big open highways at 80 miles an our over enormous stretches of southwest terrain with the windows open on a hot ass fucking day would be one of the few reasons I would ever go to a shit state like Texas.

Even if you don't have cash on hand when financing or leasing its easy to get one that would only cost around $100 per month. But one year is a sort term, not sure if leases would be offered for that length...
>>
>>68048764
Yea pretty much

Fuck the cops they aren't your friends

By the same token if you get in a situation do whatever they say don't act like a nigger or you will get jailed or shot
>>
>>68051432
Yes, but College Station is no fun
>>
>>68052745
you should see the rent here
for £100 a month less than what i'm paying for a single room in a shared house at the moment, in austin i get to stay in the "co-op", where i get free food every day, and a pool
>>
>>68048764
>no
>yes
>yes
>Probably for being fucking retarded
>Public defenders are fucking free so yeah, definitely fucking retarded
>No
Your prep was trying to ensure you don't act like a fucking dumbass, because people from your school that went before acted like fucking dumb asses.
>>
>>68052649
It depends upon the uni itself and the courses you take. At UT Austin you're going to get a huge liberal influence and even moreso if you take liberal arts courses. If you stick with anything that requires actual science, eg Physics, Econ, Engineering, then you'll be fine.
>>
>>68052975
Hey matt
>>
>>68048764
>Don't be a retard.
Sums it up.

>arrest quotas
Urban legend.

And FYI, a "plea bargain" is nothing more than you pleading guilty to a lesser charge, if the District Attorney is willing and especially if they think their case is weak.

Also >UT
Austin is literally the liberal containment zone of Texas. Is it too late to change to Texas A&M?

>>68049561
>Don't fuck around in Williamson County
THIS. Williamson County is outside the containment zone. (I live a few hundred yards on the Wilco side of the line and even that's not far enough from Travis Country.)

>>68050059
>i seriously can't even have a quiet beer in the park with my mates?
That would be Public Intoxication, especially if you're flat out drunk. That's what street bums do (and they usually drink out of a brown paper bag so it's not obvious.) You can have a quiet beer on the sofa watching TV with no licence with your mates, like a proper burger would.
>>
>>68050062
Dallas bros.
>>
>>68053044
close but no cigar
>>
>>68052649
oh it's big, especially in the arts fields. i studied finance and statistics so in my classes/group of friends my exposure to those types of people was limited.

i wouldn't worry about it, austin is an awesome place to go to college. lots of awesome bars and parties and tons of smoking hot girls
>>
You going to UT at Austin, OP?

The police loves to fuck runners. If you wanna trot in the morning make sure to carry an ID. Also, make sure you never jaywalk-- even if it looks like there are no police around. Most of the partying occurs on west campus though tbqh I never saw police busting people for anything alcohol related.

Also expect the police to do nothing against the hobo fucks (who are clearly doing meth) that litter the entire city
>>
oh also, whats the deal with frats, and should i join one?
>>
>>68050377
Are you sure it's not because Dallas is the multicultural Mecca of Texas?
>>
>>68053200
Blonde?
>>
>>68048764
>>if that happens you either have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a lawyer or take a "plea bargain" and go to jail
The ignorance of the American judicial system is immense, and shocking. I once heard that fat gay on Question Time once comment about the American judicial system, and his ignorance was astounding.

>You've been arrested
Sit your ass in jail until your arraignment. You can also post bail to get out of jail until your arraignment. The judge decides if you need to stay in jail or if you are entitled to bail, which means you can pay your way out of jail until your trial.

>Your trial
You can buy yourself a lawyer, or you can let the court appoint you a lawyer for free.
>>
>>68053358
Depends on the frat. Check them out when you get into town. Just like any other sort of club, some are cool and others are full of massive fucking cockbags.
>>
>>68048764
It's not the police you have to worry about dumbass.
>>
>>68053358
i wouldn't bother if you're only there for one year
>>
>>68050965
Oh shit that's fucking retarded
>>
>>68049856

When Americans are scared they start calling everyone sir, it's like when my dog used to roll on my back and piss out of submission. But that would be to much exercise for Americans
>>
>>68053566
>>68053358

Yeah with only one year that would be a bit pointless. People are going to take you parties anyway because you're British (not kidding)
>>
>>68053714

>Thread about Texas
>Texas with More Beaches appears

go shitpost with your dog outside m8
>>
File: Templar XCOM.jpg (411 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Templar XCOM.jpg
411 KB, 1920x1080
>>68049390
>"Throw a brick at every spic"
Fucking brilliant
>>
>>68053714
>When Americans are scared they start calling everyone sir,
Yeah, those good ole boys are just scared all the fucking time.

>straya in charge of having proper fucking manners
>>
>>68053731
why are you guys so fucking friendly all the time? it must be hard to keep up

i know theres this stereotype of the loud obnoxious american but every one i've ever met has been incredibly polite and friendly
>>
>>68053358
As an exchange student: no. They probably won't be your type of people since you're studying neuroscience either.
>>
>>68051034
Literally all you need to know.
>>
>>68048764
OP i live in austin

police here are cool if youre white male and arent causing trouble

driving intoxicated is pretty easy to get away with as long as youre like white

you literally will have zero issues and the cops are mostly young here so its cool

dont do anything you wouldnt do back home and youre fine
>>
>>68048764
You're going to get fucked in the ass in jail you cunt tosser.

Or shot by some Texan if you pick a fight while drunk as is your national habit. We just shoot faggots who pick fights here.
>>
>>68054027
fuck off cunt
>>
>>68054027
>why are you guys so fucking friendly all the time?
Because it's the right thing to do. Most people are brought up with proper manners and that's part of it. The rest of it is, it's just too damn retarded to be fucking pissy and avoid people all the time.

>it must be hard to keep up
Not really. It's not like we go out and do nothing but talk to strangers and shit. Different culture, I guess.
>>
>>68054027
Why do europeans think being friendly is a chore?
>>
>>68054283
please record yourself saying that, americans saying cunt sound hilarious
>>
>>68052099
This is true. The horse can't get drunk and probably knows the way home.
>>
>>68048764
>is it true that you get arrested for doing illegal stuff in America? like wow I don't even mates I like literally don't even
>>
File: Austin_Metrorail.jpg (665 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
Austin_Metrorail.jpg
665 KB, 1000x600
>>68050766
>Austin
>weird
>any time in the 21st century
Yeah, no, it's hipsterland now.

>>68051135
If you can walk to a major north/south street like Lamar or Guadalupe/LaVaca you can get on a bus. They aren't fast, but you can buy a full day ticket (half price with student ID) and not have to worry about transfers or anything, just slide the ticket through the reader on the fare box. If at campus housing, almost any bus along going north along LaVaca should get you back in a few minutes.

Express buses and the crappy excuse for a rail line will need a more costly ticket. You can also buy a weekly or monthly ticket (could save almost half again if you use it daily), but you need to validate it on the first day you use it to start its clock running.

As far as getting a car goes, you can get a beater for $2000 or less, and gas is cheap this year since the Saudis went full retard.

Also enjoy the 95/95 summers (95°F/95% humidity), though we've been having a dry spell the past few years so summers have been drier than normal. Winters are not bad, it usually gets below 40°F in January and February, but this year we had an extra March instead of February. We have central air conditioning for a good reason.

>>68051508
>tea sipping ay?
It's greek for t.u., as in tau upsilon. TAMU lingo for UT.
>>
>>68054027
We know that folks from other countries hate us so we tend to over-compensate.
Btw- if you're even halfway decent looking, prepare to get plenty of pussy. Southern girls love a British accent. Also, take advantage of our shooting ranges.
>>
>>68054424
Cunt is actually pretty offensive here and not for everyday banter use.
>>
>>68054650
Bullshit
>>
>>68054027

I'm not sure if we really are, but 98% of the foreign people here are non-white so a European is pretty unique, especially in the South. I mean if you're just a cunt the accents not going to get you far, but people are almost certainly to be very welcoming initially, if only because you're the first british person they've met.
>>
>>68054404
i dunno, maybe its the higher population density, you can only have so many friends before the meaning of friendship gets diluted
>>
>>68052975
How much were you paying back in Bongland?
>>
have fun bro all the girls here are turbo sluts who will fuck you just because of your accent. And the cops power trip a bit because they can get away with it but as long as you don't act like a fool you should be fine, talk to them like you would a friend's parents you're meeting or a professor or something.
>>
>>68054650
erroneous
>>
>>68054770
>you can only have so many friends before the meaning of friendship gets diluted
So you just stop being nice to people once you meet your friendship quota or what?
>>
>>68054650
it doesn't really flow off the tongue in your accent as much as it does in ours

then again you guys also think damn is swearing if your tv is anything to go by, or is that just because you can't actually swear on tv?
>>
>>68048764
Don't act like a retard and you'll have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>68054779
£500 a month, our rents are fucked because the chinese are buying up all the properties in london as investments and then not doing anything with them
>>
>>68051056
Perhaps my views are affected by my lineage. Last name same as Thatchers birthplace.
>>
>>68053714
>it's like when my dog used to roll on my back and piss out of submission.
Hate to break it to you, but that's a sign of dominance. It means he doesn't respect you. Your dog thinks you're his bitch.
>>
>>68054911
like, i tried being friendly to everyone i met for a bit, but it just ended up with me having fucking loads of acquaintances and no real friends

could just be me though
>>
>>68054925
>also think damn is swearing if your tv is anything to go by
Uh, damn is said a lot on TV, even the public channels.

>or is that just because you can't actually swear on tv?
Can't use anything worse than damn or bitch public cable, i.e. ABC/NBC/CBS. You can say whatever the fuck you want to on regular cable, but most channels don't allow anything worse than shit because the time block would lose advertising revenue. Every once in a while depending on the channel you'll get fucks thrown around.
>>
>>68055123
same in nyc
>>
>>68054761
>>68054852
You call a woman a cunt and she'll be not be happy about it, probably pretty pissy. Going around calling someone a soft cunt is not going to have the same lighthearted nature to it that it has in Britain.
Where the fuck are yall even from? Texan here.
>>
>>68054027
>every one i've ever met has been incredibly polite and friendly
This applies double for Texas. As long as you don't piss off (don't forget the US meaning of "piss off" as "to annoy or anger"!) an average Texan will be friendly.

>>68054925
>then again you guys also think damn is swearing if your tv is anything to go by
Captain Kirk was saying "damn" in the mid '60s. But not "god damn". That pisses off the bible thumpers. Besides, it's usually funnier to bleep out profanity and/or make the viewer have to fill in the blanks. For instance South Park where they always bleeped out "fuck", but nothing else.
>>
>>68055353
same rent or same chinese problem?
'cause i'm not even in london at the moment, in london if you're really unlucky its like £1000
>>
>>68048764
Am cop.

I found a couple gappers sleeping in their car once. They were on a Route 66 trip.

However, they were sleeping near a flop house "motel" full of variously addicted sorts.

I suggested they find literally anywhere else to park.

They declined.

I wanted to make their experience pleasant and safe, but they had a vacant and slightly annoyed look about them. Sjw types before the term was invented.

They probably thought I was some hick pig with nothing better to do, and felt good about fighting my power. :(
>>
>>68051374
Acquaint yourself with a map dumb ass.
>>
>>68055395
well yeah if you use it maliciously no one will like it but in casual conversation i've never had it upset anyone unless they were a cunt to begin with
>>
>>68055645
It's the "southwest", not The South proper. So it's sort of yes and sort of no.
>>
>>68055472
chinese, russians, brazilians buying safe investmensts because their currencies are shit. also they have rent controlled apartments in the city so supply is artificially limited.

living in manhattan is retardly expensive, like 3-4k for a one bedroom apt, although you can find better deals if you really shop around or live with a bunch of roommates
>>
>>68048764
Whoever told you that is a retard

Don't be an asshole to cops, they won't be an asshole to you. You'll probably never interact with them anyways. If you do, just don't make their job unnecessarily difficult. The cases you have heard of are niggers going full blown chimpout, to the full extent described on /pol/ no exaggeration

House parties generally are only busted if shit gets out of control/ too loud. If neighbors start to complain it will most likely get busted.
>>
1. Don't be an idiot

2. If you do something illegal but not quite felony-tier be as respectful and polite as you can. May not get you off of whatever you did, but that and being British might help your chances.

3. In Austin you'll only ever have to worry if you're clearly and obviously intoxicated (stumbling down the street, passing out, anti-social behavior, etc.) and/or underage. Dirty Sixth is pretty lenient on fakes whenever I've been there, but the cops do try to bust it from time to time.

>>68050812

I'm not a bootlicker, far from it, but they have to deal with shit that many of your cops don't/won't. Doesn't mean there isn't anything to be critical of, but it's worth keeping in mind

Austin is cuck central but /pol/ memes aside also a cool city with a lot of things to do.

>>68050533

One guy doesn't drink, you stay long enough wherever you're at to sober up, or you take an Uber/call someone etc.
>>
>>68054837
do you call your professors sir?
fuck me, when i got my course convenor to sponsor me for this trip i was like, "safe, cheers kev"
>>
>>68056085
Mister/Misses Lastname or Professor Lastname.
>>
>>68056085
Depends on the professor. Some want to be called by first name, others want to be called sir, doc or professor. Just call someone by their proper title when you first meet someone to be safe. For most people this means sir or ma'am. If it's a younger girl, just call her miss.

>>68056161
Mrs. is strictly for married women. Don't do that.
>>
>>68056085
i called most of my professors bro or brah most of them didn't mind
>>
>>68055123
In Austin I payed $888/month for a broom closet. I live in Dallas and pay $555/month for a huge loft.
>>
>>68055843
Acquaint yourself with any sort of history text. Many, many Confederate units came from Texas.
Please support your argument.
>>
>>68048764
Yes, they really are that bad, avoid them. And don't do anything stupid.
>>
>>68048764
dont be a cunt, and if your white the police wont fuck with you, being a cunt could include being an asshole, a stoner, or an excessive faggot (dont worry being gay is ok as long as your not over the top with it), but yes if you are a cunt to the police they will not be polite like in england they will arrest you, fortunately since your from the uk if the police harass you or give you trouble you could claim it is just because you are gay and possibly get them to drop charges
>>
>>68048764
Don't act like a nigger and commit crimes and the police are just fine. It's not that complicated.
>>
>>68056454
The only people that consider Texas the South are yankees and some Texans who are fucking idiots. Southerners think Texas is the Southwest, not the South. A lot of Texans (and I'd wager most) realize they're not the South, but the Southwest. Serving in the CSA does not make you The South. Otherwise, New Mexico would be The South. So yeah, YOU acquaint YOURSELF with a history text, because you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>68048764
Go to ut san antonio
Not ut austin

You'll like it way more and San Antonio is literally military city USA so you get the added benefit of safety
>>
>>68056577
>fortunately since your from the uk if the police harass you or give you trouble you could claim it is just because you are gay
fucking kekd
>>
>>68054633
This this this. You won't even have to try, they will be crawling all over you the moment you start speaking
>>
>>68049286
The Citadel.
>>
>>68056577
genuinely high tier banter there m8, i'm impressed
>>
>>68049341
Try to drink some real beer for a change Okie Fag.
>>
Not true, that's all left wing bullshit

Don't act like a negro and you will be fine.
>>
>>68056860
>san antonio

might as well go to mexico city
>>
>>68054925
Don't look to reddit. If you want a fairly accurate depiction of American vernacular, tone the insults in /pol/ way down and make the people less retarded and we talk fairly similar. Also, don't randomly insult people, a lot of Americans are thin skinned. Don't stress too much though, you will fit right in, especially because it is a uni. Most of the stuff you are talking about are old bitter people, not uni age
>>
>>68056245
mrs. will immediately trigger stronk independant womyn
>>
Dude, don't be a dumbass and get caught. Stay with groups of friends and use cabs. Don't cause any disturbances. So long as you aren't causing trouble, cops have no need to arrest you.

Seriously, don't be a dumbass and you'll never have to worry about the police.
>>
The University of Texas is probably the best public school in the US. One of the best schools overall. People there are smart, friendly and helpful. The campus has a ton of resources. You may spend a night in the slammer if you get drunk and cause problems on 6th street. But otherwise?

You are making a big deal out of nothing. Austin PD is your pretty typical American city police force. Enjoy your stay in Austin, you will have a great experience here.

PS: Watch out if you get into Williamson County. Travis County is not too bad, but get too far north and you're in one of the most corrupt counties in Texas.
>>
>>68057551
It's also improper titleage so using it for a non-married woman is fucking retarded.
>>
>>68048764
>i'm gonna be spending a year in texas for university
Buy a gun, drive a truck, drink sweet tea, and you'll fit right in with the rest of us. Dress and talk like the filthy britmong you are and that's a paddlin'
>>
Ausfag that spent some time in Texas here, read about half the thread.

Trust me you NEED a car. Here or in the UK you might walk to a shop around the corner, there you get on the highway and drive for a minimum 10 minutes at 100kph to get anywhere.

Suburbs are completely separate from anything commercial. The first thing you need to do there is get a car.
>>
>>68057788
Also never had any problems with cops even when we were riding on the back of a pickup late at night and randomly shooting shit on the side of the road. Only saw 1 cop the whole time I was there.
>>
File: 20150806_191044.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150806_191044.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Texas is redpilled - but still suffers from the masses of sheep who are cluckin' out the same bullshit they are feed through the propaganda machines...

UT Grad myself. Great school - building additions to engineering and medical school now in Ausitn.
>>
>>68055260
>but it just ended up with me having fucking loads of acquaintances and no real friends

Nah thats pretty much how it works for everyone
>>
File: 2.jpg (376 KB, 1461x807) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
376 KB, 1461x807
>>68057765
i'll be sure to adopt your peoples traditional dress
>>
>>68049121
"Officer" works as good as "Sir"
>>
>>68057596
>PS: Watch out if you get into Williamson County. Travis County is not too bad, but get too far north and you're in one of the most corrupt counties in Texas.
It's not corrupt, it's just hard-ass. Also, if you ever hear of "Grimes County" (where the autumn renfest is held), don't fuck around over there, they're at the top of the hard-ass scale.

>>68056860
I went to UTSA quite some time ago. I think it's still mostly a commuter university, way out on the edge of town, though the people who run it like to gush over "oh look, we have a downtown campus now!" Seriously, it may be a real 4-year+grad university (and it even has a handegg team now), but it's hardly top-tier.
>>
>>68049315
512 checking in. You will like UT and Austin.
>>
File: 1455036576754.png (694 KB, 528x1239) Image search: [Google]
1455036576754.png
694 KB, 528x1239
>>68048764
Cant be worse than this
>>
>>68056245
>others want to be called sir,

There is fucking professor in the country who has their students call them "sir"
>>
File: charles-koch.jpg (176 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
charles-koch.jpg
176 KB, 624x420
>>68056859
>Texas statehood 1845
>New Mexico statehood 1912
You really are a special kind of retard, aren't you?
>>
>>68048764

Murrcan cops are not cucked nannies like Bongladeshi constables. That said, if you just steer clear of them you wont have any problems. Dont get in a drunken fight with weed in your pocket in a bar you got into with a fake ID, for example.

Cops in college towns are generally of the opinion that it is literally impossible to stop underage drinking or pot-smoking, they'd have to arrest 90% of the student body, but they will use that to arrest you if you piss them off.

In general, most cops don't really want any trouble, and will only arrest someone on the street if he's doing something violent or pisses the cops off, or if he's obviously underage and so drunk he looks like he might drop dead of alcohol poisoning at any moment.

Like most bureaucrats, their goal is to collect a paycheck for minimum effort, except the occasional HotHead who is super wired and/or has a Napoleon complex and desperately needs to enforce his authoritah on everybody, and is also dying to try out his tazer/pistol "in action".

I would say in my state/cities I've lived here, that's only about 1/5 of police (about half of woman-police, though)
>>
>>68048764
Texas is great. Austin is a fucking liberal cesspool. Still, if you don't act or talk like a fag then you'll probably have a lot of fun here and get laid.
>>
>>68058233
luckily this only happens to black people
>>
File: 1449513458387.gif (598 KB, 255x192) Image search: [Google]
1449513458387.gif
598 KB, 255x192
>>68058202
Manchaca here.
Just got back from a daytrip to Fredricksburg.
German controlled. Super badass.

Is there a /meadhall/ style room on 4chan for meeting up with fellow anons.

>inbeforealphabet

SXSW sucks dicks
>>
>>68057974
Why is your pic upside down?
>>
>>68058482
>that's only about 1/5 of police
>only
>only 1 in 5 cops would like to shoot you just to see a man die

That's terrifying.
>>
>>68053714

how does he get on your back?
>>
>>68056454
>>68056859

Texas is Texas. The Hispanic/German/Slav influence separates it from the rest of the South, but it's not similar to Arizona or New Mexico at all. North Texas and the Panhandle also feels like an extension of the Great Plains more than anything.

>>68056860

San Antonio is proof that Mexicans won in the end. Otherwise a decent city, but I wouldn't trade it for Austin.

>>68057210

kek

>>68057788

Ausfag speaks the truth. You'll also get laid because of your accent provided you're decent looking and not autistic.
>>
>>68058375
>There is fucking professor in the country who has their students call them "sir"
Jokes on you cockfag, there are a shit ton of professors that want to be called sir or ma'am.

>>68058442
Nah, I just recognize the fact that New Mexico Territory sent a greater number of volunteer legions to the CSA than they sent mandatory legions to the Union. Thanks for proving that you know fucking nothing about what you're talking about, though.
>>
File: kappa_alpha_order-788275.gif (58 KB, 451x500) Image search: [Google]
kappa_alpha_order-788275.gif
58 KB, 451x500
Oh, and if you are going to school for 4 years and you are white, join a frat.

Kappa Alpha
Dieu et les dames
>>
>>68058627
>SXSW sucks dicks
It was okay the three separate days I went down to attend stuff on the freebie "guest pass", except that I ended up with the con crud so I'm sick with a sore throat and fever today. It's either from being sardined on the fucking toy train or maybe from cedar fever, who can really tell?

Paying for SXSW sucks dicks.
>>
>>68058627
Fredricksburg is cool. Confirmed SXSW is corporate gayness.
>>
>>68058849
You're still horribly wrong with "Southerners think Texas = Southwest"
Sorry Brendan, your dream is weak.
>>
>>68058782
>terrifying
What's it like being spineless?
>>
>>68058853
>God is the women
Man, frats have changed.

>>68058794
>youll get laid for the accent

So true. I'm pretty average in every way but I always had random chicks cuddling up to me for no apparent reason at house parties. They had a lot of trouble actually understanding me at first though.
>>
>>68048764
Get ready to eat a lot of breakfast tacos
>>
>>68059029
I am wrong about what I along with the vast majority of people in my state think about Texas? Since when is Alabama not the fucking South? Texas is not the South, no matter how hard you fucking yankees and newly immigrated Texans try to shill to make it so.
>>
File: 20150801_213633.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150801_213633.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>68058722
I really don't know.
Moar Austin OC?

Damn most my photos are >4MB

Multiple Image Resizer here I come
>>
>>68048764
Texas cops are badass motherfuckers, especially the narcotics and gang violence units
>>
File: In+australia_7f9ae7_4560347.png (143 KB, 1112x421) Image search: [Google]
In+australia_7f9ae7_4560347.png
143 KB, 1112x421
>>68059162
diddn't they get put off by you shouting "CRIKEY!" at random intervals?
>>
File: austin-plane.jpg (40 KB, 671x515) Image search: [Google]
austin-plane.jpg
40 KB, 671x515
>>68059247
We even had a Happening here.
>>
File: hunter_fwl_2x.jpg (134 KB, 2192x1446) Image search: [Google]
hunter_fwl_2x.jpg
134 KB, 2192x1446
>>68059162
(God and the Ladies)

Lurk around west campus more faggot
>>
>>68059047
>not wanting to be shot
>fully 1 in 5 law enforcement officers would like to kill you for no reason

Ok.

Also cordial doesnt really exist over there. Hope you like iced tea, seems to be everyones favorite non-alcoholic drink next to soda.
>>
>>68059298
>go to merica
>cops pull you over and say put your hands on X ( some word i wouldnt know)
>get shot
would be awesome
>>
>>68059366
i like all kinds of tea
>>
File: evangelon gondola.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
evangelon gondola.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>68048764
be very respectful, american cops are a bit nasty, stupid and with ego problems

the key is to always be respectful and 'yes sir' everything
if he feels like you think he's awesome he's less likely to become ass ravaged

i never had any real problems tho, they're just weird and unsympathetic
>>
>>68059425
Hood. Bonnet in actual english
>>
File: 1449136204075.jpg (68 KB, 377x375) Image search: [Google]
1449136204075.jpg
68 KB, 377x375
>>68059362
First ever school shooting
From the tower, in the 50s. Killed lots.
Man told them to cut open his brain
They found tumors on his anger centers.
>>
>>68059177

Dallas eastward is deep south.

West of Dallas is southwest.
>>
>>68059509
Probably because you were an illegal. Also, American cops are nowhere near as corrupt as South American cops. Ours are actually very clean
>>
>>68059332
got asked about that faggot that got killed by a stingray a few times, forgot his name now. other than that nope, just good times learning how to sex and talking about culture

>>68059364
Meh my latin's a bit rusty, been a few thousand years since I've spoken it.
>>
I lived about 30 mins away from Austin for 3 years. I used to go get hammered at 6th street every weekend, wandering around the city in a drunken stupor. Never saw anything like you described. I saw fights and drunks disturbing the peace and only saw cops occasionally talk to them, never saw anyone get arrested.
>>
>>68059808
i think steve irwin was more popular here than he was over there, i was genuinely upset when he died
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (216 KB, 1024x711) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
216 KB, 1024x711
>>68059808
lel it's ok anon. Ded language and all.
Honestly the best pussy hits the frats hard, like outnumbered 6 to 1 with horny drunk sluts, but there are tons of other options for hot beeches.
>>
File: flower frog.jpg (19 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
flower frog.jpg
19 KB, 225x225
>>68059775
no i was just a tourist

they didn't even know i was mexican until they started talking to me

the corruption is different, a mexican cop will try to fuck with you for $5, a murcan cop is trying to satisfy his sadistic sexual tendencies and necrophiliac phantasies
>>
>>68060022
do you have to be dench to join a frat?
i'm not bad looking but i'm not /fit/
>>
>>68048948
Lol you only call them sir if youre some pussy faggot.
Whenever I'm pulled over I talk like a normal person, because that's all they fucking are. Don't show them respect you fag
>>
File: 220px-Us_south_census.png (27 KB, 220x142) Image search: [Google]
220px-Us_south_census.png
27 KB, 220x142
>>68058849
Lol, you are adorable senpai.
>Seceded from Union 1861
>"We're not part of the south" 2016
I love your version of Texas independence even if it comes with the pseudo-revisionist history. Be free for always Texas.
>>
>>68051419
faggie confirmed
>>
>>68050367
Nigger are you serious? You didn't try to figure out if you needed a car before enrolling in Texas? Have fun never leaving campus
>>
File: 20160114_175928.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160114_175928.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>68059966
cheecked
5-0 in austin stays breddy chill
Smoked joints in front of them at marleyfest. Was baking weed brownies with the door open because the smell was so bad, a cop actually asked where some other room number was like he did not even give a fuck.
Fights downtown defiantly happen, and they will slam you afterword. Beware of female officers, you will accidentally hurt them since you are wasted.
>>
>>68059998
He was fucking hated over here for that exact reason, we didn't want a dumb cunt like that representing Australia. I mean to the point where some of the hunters would joke about finding and shooting him and feeding him to a crocodile. Alas it looks like that happened anyway.

>>68060107
>dench
The fuck is dench? But no, just be cool.
>>
File: 20150823_101855.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150823_101855.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>68060107
You have to "fit in"
If you are fat you gotta be funny basically.
You have to get bitches.
You have to get drunk as fuck and still keep it together.

Look at this photo, these weird lights that look like cameras are everywhere here in Austin.
>>
>>68060261
do all students in america just have the bank of mummy and daddy or something? right now i have £80 in my bank to last me until may, how the fuck do you expect me to buy a car? let alone insure it? I get that its probably cheaper in america, but it can't be that much cheaper
>>
>>68060568
You could get a beater truck for $500.

How are you expecting to survive and study in Texas if you've got $80 to your name?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.