[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would a Buddhist monk set himself on fire? https://www
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: monk25n-1-web.jpg (125 KB, 970x708) Image search: [Google]
monk25n-1-web.jpg
125 KB, 970x708
Why would a Buddhist monk set himself on fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ffYA2KHFY&index=1&list=LLxkwj3fEteIM-Jpg95Olmew
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 648x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 648x432
>>68010912
Because they're idiots.
>>
>>68010912
He spontaneously combusted from "enlightenment".
>>
Chilly climate?
>>
>>68011417
>>68011055
>>68011178

Are you kidding me? Fucking white males and their ignorance.
>>
>>68010912
To make some sick RATM album covers
>>
Man this is so fucked
>>
>>68011605
>Man this is so fucked
Tell me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhbJgEL5jQ&index=2&list=LLxkwj3fEteIM-Jpg95Olmew
>>
>>68010912
that guy at @1:54 trying to help by hiting his t-shirt on his leg and the skin just comes off
>>
>>68010912

00:00 no one gives a shit, plenty of time to stop him

1:10 dozens of people trying to save him after irreversible damage is done and it is too late

why are humans so retarded ?
>>
>>68011694
> Forcing new meme's by incorperating them in old enough that 90 kids will have nostalgia over em
Bretty good I like it
>>
>>68010912
CAUSE TIBET IS SO COLD?
>>
>>68011543
/thread
>>
>>68011055
>passes the entire day posting in 4chan
>not a degenerate furry
>>
Because he wants to be hot?XDD
>>
>>68012383

i think you are the retarded one here

do you think that buckets of water would magically appear once he got on fire?
>>
>>68010912
>
who would really like to remain alive after that. what kind of lyfe is that?
>>
>>68010912
He didn't burn so good.
>>
>>68010912

I'm not watching this shit.

But It's debatable. It's the ultimate form of peaceful protest.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>68014599

>physical violence against oneself is peaceful

Self immolation is a disruptive psy-op by "oppressed" monks expressing their disagreement with foreign occupation without contradicting the mandates Buddha preached to them. Simple.
>>
>>68010912

Buddhism promotes the idea of compassion for others.

So setting yourself on fire, is meant to invoke the feeling of sympathy.
>>
is he kill?
>>
>>68015018
Man, that's dumb. That's like the kid who cuts himself to get sympathy from those around him. Buddhism should take a more Christian approach to promoting compassion, by doing good deeds and loving thy enemy.

(Not to a defeatist point where you just let the enemy trample all over you, of course.)
>>
>>68010912
Years of untreated mental illness mixed with an irrational religion controlled by a group with a political agenda.
>>
>>68015409

It can be effective if it is underlined by motivation to effect change in others.

Google Norman Morrison's self immolation.

Consider what he did and think about what impact it would of had on the people around him (family, friends, parish etc) who knew him, an respected him as a human being.

Think about their love for him, and how his sacrifice might of made them feel towards the Vietnam war.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.