[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social Justice redditors freak out because someone says &quo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
Social Justice redditors freak out because someone says "Majority of girls are not interested in CS, that's all"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitRedditSays/comments/4ayqsh/majority_of_girls_are_not_interested_in_cs_thats/
>>
>>67935542
I've yet to meet an actual verifiable good cooder "gurrrrl xD".
>Hey look, I printed "Hellow World" to te screenz XD I'm such a gurl hacker XDXD!"
>>
girls cant even fizzbuzz
>>
>>67936587
>can't ebin fizz buzz
please can we ban women from stem?

Also, anyone got that bar graph of gender ratios in different careers with like 100 horizontal yellow/orange bars and it points to 2 bars and says "NO WOMEN, OPRESSION!"
>>
>>67936587
I've met one, mainly because I knew her friend.
>>67937132
There are good girls in STEM, my gf being one of the few good female chemists. The reason no one hears about the good ones is because they are too busy working in a lab to go protest stupid shit.
>>
>>67935542
SRS is still a thing?
>>
>>67937665
If you actually think she's good, then that says alot about how good you personally are. Which isn't surprising, even most guys do shit tier programming. It's something you can only be good at if you're a robot or have some level of social impediment.
>>
The only girl I know doing CS is trans
>>
File: marxist.png (465 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
marxist.png
465 KB, 1680x1050
>>67935542
>>
>>67937665
I like how all the replies back saying "most men are not interested in cs"

Most men I've met would love to go into but they don't think they're good enough. I know a lot of fellow bros that work labor (construction) that would love to have a comfy chair job writing programs all day.

Most women I've run into don't really care. I've met a few that were slightly interested but they were lesbians.

Men don't keep women out. Men just keep the sjw's out.
>>
>>67939128
>comfy chair job writing programs all day.
>writing programs
>comfy

yeah no.
>>
If anything we should disencourage faggots from technology.

No clothes, bed, spoons, or shelter
>>
>>67938071
>Not a girl
>>
File: when_girls_code.jpg (226 KB, 869x1776) Image search: [Google]
when_girls_code.jpg
226 KB, 869x1776
>>67936587
>>
>>67935542
didnt know black bulls could afford computers
>>
the ratio of good coder girls to good coder guys isn't comparable

there can be a few decent girl one's but the majority as those sick ass autistic shut in guys the real og and there's a lot of them

being a girl just doesn't breed out the coder in your soul as a girl you dont get the opportunity to be a real loser nerd and be autistic on video games and shit

so girls, sorry you're not good coders you will never measure up to the autistic furry coders, there is many breeds of the specialized proficient male coder as well and they are all very impressive

girl post about coding hello world on instagram
>>
>>67939128
Computer Science isn't science, nor computers.
>>
File: 1365986348774.gif (474 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1365986348774.gif
474 KB, 200x150
>>67935542
>proven fact that majority of women aren't interested in STEM fields
>problem is recognized, which is why we have all these welfare-tier programs to try and railroad women into STEM fields
>it's somehow wrong saying that women aren't interested in STEM
>>
>>67939789
>as a girl you dont get the opportunity to be a real loser nerd and be autistic on video games and shit
>Implying playing games makes you a coding genius

>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>67940064
how did you autistic mind think that's what i was implying? stop projecting
>>
That's not an unreasonable statement to make, the majority of women aren't interested in computers nor science, or if they are, they're only interested superficially.

But nope. Here they go posting pictures of individuals and claiming the majority
>>
>>67939615
fukcin kek'd
>>
>>67939832
The Holy Roman Empire wasn't holy, Roman, nor was it an empire.
>>
>>67939615
>but the code on the right looks so much more organized!
how? pretty sure left looks better
>>
>>67935542
>Clicked the link
>ballbalblablalblablalblaba
jesus these faggots talk a lot
>>
There are definitely legit girls in CS, but the ones that have to make their presence known as "I'M A GURL CODER" are shit-tier, and usually just commit on git repositories, trying to remove "triggering language" from readme files and the like. Fucking shameful behavior.

You don't see male nurses screaming "I'M A MALE NURSE".
>>
>>67940255

Are you making a joke?
>>
>>67939529
What is a joke
>>
>>67939615
It's funny because her code is literally shit tier and makes no sense.

If A is lower than B then it returns B.
If A is bigger than B, and B is lower than A (Which is the same thing by the way, it's redundant and the second half doesn't even need to be there), then it returns A.
If neither of those two statements are true, it returns 5.
If A and B are equal then the program literally explodes because she didn't code anything for that.

She's calculating the maximum between two numbers and she can't even do /that/ right.
>>
>>67940753
A tranny
>>
>>67940327
some comments wouldnt hurt it. Its a pain in the ass if the code has a few more lines and shit isnt documented well. Makes my stomach cancer grow stronger.
>>
>Majority of girls are not interested in CS, that's all

Too bad that's true, fucking SJW retards. And I'm a woman studying CS, so I would know. There's literally nothing holding women back except their lack of interest and/or understanding of the subject. A lot of the girls who started studying with me dropped out during the first year, not because they got bullied out by the evil boys but because they realized that this stuff was too complicated for them.
>>
>>67939615
this is fake.

post link or gtfo canacuck.
>>
>>67940851
I don't know which language she uses but I imagine the situation a = b would result in 5, because of the Else at the end.
>>
>>67939615
this has to be fake
>>
>>67939615
I'm having a good night, and I recognize that thumbnail. I'm just gonna stay away and try to not be angry.
>>
>>67935542
MOST girls are not. The ones that are are definitely in the minority. Why is it so bad to point this out?
>>
>>67937869
That's total bullshit, many programmers aren't autistic at all.

Just because autistic people relate better to computers than people this doesn't make them all genius-tier programmers. You're clearly autistic as fuck and I can already tell you couldn't code your way out of a wet paper sack even if you used Ruby, Python, Java or C++, which are likely to be the only languages kids like you have ever even heard of.
>>
>>67940851
>>67941065
I know nothing about code but are you forced to input an integer with int max(int a, int b)? Also, it's supposed to return the larger number because the purpose of the code was to "calculate" or return the larger of two numbers, a completely useless function.
>>
File: P'carrrd.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
P'carrrd.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
>>67939893
This pretty much family. Somewhere out there on /pol/ there's a chart showing job titles and the percentage of women working in each job. These feminists are only interested in increasing female representation in the pleasant office jobs with complete silence when it comes to job that involve working outside and getting dirty, regardless of how much the latter pays (which is considerable.)
>>
>debian
>not arch
Checks out
>>
>>67941548
You wouldn't be forced to, but if you input something else than an integer then it'll just bug without anything to go with since she didn't put an error situation in the function. Also it would be useful if you could add an array of values, but since it's limited to two values then it's useless.
>>
>>67939615
I don't get it
>>
>>67941065
Well yeah but why would it return 5? Why not return something like "Hey, the numbers are the same"?

She's hyping herself up by typing everything in an organized way but she's not giving any feedback to the user. What if the maximum of the numbers is a 5? How would the user differentiate between a maximum of 5 and when both numbers are the same?

>>67941548
If an integer isn't sent to the block of code then the method has no reason to exist. And it's funny because from what /I/ can tell this writing is Java language. She doesn't have a main, she doesn't have any method sending integers to the methods. She's not even exiting the program. It's just all over the fucking place.
>>
>I'm interested in CS (a developer for over 8 years). What I'm not interested in is the man that called me a 'ho-grammer' a few days ago.
>ho-grammer
kek
>>
I know a girl who has always been a bit of a fuck-up.She's gotten into the whole "girls can do tech!!!" meme. She stopped showing up to her retail job and then managed to swindle the government here and convince them that she was laid off or something like that so she could get unemployment.

In Canada, unemployment will pay for you to do job training for practical stuff. So she signed up to this high-end coding boot camp thing that is an intensive six week course and it costs like $12,000 but you are pretty much guaranteed a job afterwards and you'll know a bunch of good coding languages.

She lasted maybe a week. Then she realized it was too hard and started making up excuses. Then she just quit. She acted like it was the schools fault not hers. "It was too hard - they didn't explain it right for girls" and shit like that.

I pointed out that she wasted like $12,000 of money that could have been spent on poor people or people who really wanted to get ahead and she got all upset at me.

Fucking idiot. She's still unemployed. I can only imagine how many times that has happened in other places too. Fucking joke.
>>
>>67939615
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
If anyone is curious about the code on the left, fucking witchcraft.

6 months into my CS degree I was sitting next to a girl who accidentally kicked the monitor cable out the back of her PC, she was unable to fix it.
I pretended I wasn't paying attention and she moved to another computer, didn't see her 2nd year.

My uni had ~80% student reduction by final year, by which point the few remaining girls seemed as competent as everyone else though.
>>
>>67939615
What is up with the else-if condition in the "girl code"?
>>
>>67941910
Her code is really bad
>>
File: 1453246740017.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1453246740017.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>67939832
>>
>>67941910
>This function calculates the larger of two numbers ^_^
>Except if the numbers aren't integers
>And I'm naming my function max(), which is already in the Numbers library
>And my function only accepts integers
>And it gives a nonsensical result when the two integers are equal
>Oh but pay attention to how messy the function on the left is, not any of stuff in mine...

"This is why more women should get into coding"

God I'd hate to have her as a peer reviewer.
>>
>>67942028
Why? Because she's so random yay :D

As for the usability of the program who cares, a girl wrote that shit. Don't be sexist anon.

>>67942190
She made a repetitive condition, it's more for nothing. It's fucked. It's all fucked. Women were a mistake.
>>
>>67942461
she doesn't understand the basics of operators.
>>
>>67938190
>Internet Explorer
>win classic theme
>>
>>67941910
Unsurprising, considering your flag. The left code is neatly organised and simple. The right code is filled with messy bullshit notation that adds literally nothing of value.
>>
>>67940851
>she literally didn't code for a=b
Its covered by the final else statement, a=b will return 5.
And YOU think SHES a shit coder
>>
>>67942195
Interesting shit; thanks for posting this... this makes clear that the original post was a troll, and that I know fucking nothing about programming other than the basics of syntax.

Like most people in this thread, I know the code on the right is shit.. didn't realize the beauty of what's on the left.
>>
>>67939615

>else if a > b && b < a

WHAT THE FUCK HOLY FUCK KILL ME NOW

I FUCKING HATE HOW AN ENTIRE INDUSTRY IS PANDERING TO IDIOTIC CUNTS
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 424x318
>>67935542
HEY REDDIT
YOU'RE NEXT
>>
>>67940851
this might make some sense in languages with NaN (not a number) or undefined, as all operations a>b, a<b and a==b would return false.
>>
>>67942190

i love how those boot camps say 'no experience necessary'

there is no way that you can reach a level of being able to contribute to a workplace in 6 weeks even if youre grinding it out for 60 hours a week.

i mean, maybe youll be able to write test suites? i doubt that though because you won't know how to write meaningful tests and what needs to be tested in the first place.
>>
>>67941548
>>67942028
Point being, the code won't "literally blow up" if a=b, it is covered

>>67941896
Its clearly a freshmen level programming assignment (they both are), of course it totally useless.
>>
>>67939615
What if we compare max(1337,1337)?
It sure as fuck isn't 5.

"Houston we got a problem, our instrument measures an altitude of 15000 feet and the other measures 15000 feet but the max measure is 5 feet. Houston please advice, severe system failure. Houston, tell my wife and children that they can fuck off, over."

GG women do good programming NO RE
>>
File: shit.png (87 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
87 KB, 1680x1050
>>67938190
>>
>>67935542
The majority of MEN aren't interested in CS, why the fuck would the majority of women be? And the SJWs' whole argument is "No, this woman is a programmer. And this one."
>>
>>67943189
Yeah I know, it was my bad. What I meant is that she didn't give any feedback.
>>
>>67942975
>>Internet Explorer
only cause this shitty mgraw hill bullshit wont work on anything else

and classic theme is best theme
>>
>>67941380
kinda the only languages used in almost everything too...
>>
>>67943627
also int != float
>>
>>67935542
since when do we care about what goes on reddit ?
You're talking about news on reddit, do you know how pathetic that sounds ?
>>
>>67942997
They're both pretty bad.

The left is unreadable.

The right is filled with logic mistakes and insufferable comments.
>>
https://css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

totally relevant
>>
>>67942195
Fuckups get weeded out early in all tech programs
About 8 weeks into my first semester EE lab, this chinese kid asks me to help him with his circuit and it becomes extremely apparent that he doesn't know how the protoboard works, which they taught us the first week and we've had to use every class. He wasn't there next year. The girls left in my program by senior year can hack the material, but there are only like 3 girls in my program.
>>
Erm hello Ada Lovelace?

Sheesh.
>>
>>67939615
Holy shit, I didn't get mad until I read those fucking comments. I know absolutely naught about coding but the code on the left is at least compact, neat, and concise, which is supposed to be the goal when you're coding isn't it?
>>
File: 1457572983559.png (9 KB, 446x399) Image search: [Google]
1457572983559.png
9 KB, 446x399
>>67939615

>Image on the left is somewhat complex coding from scratch

>Image on the right is the thing you learn from the 2nd tutorial on codecanyon, that literally writes the code for you and tells you to fill in blanks
>>
>>67944125
>The left is unreadable.
It's incredibly clear what is unreadable about it?

There's a difference between unreadable and you not having the knowledge to understand it.
>>
>>67943770
>and classic theme is best theme
This. Not to mention its easier on system resources than Aero.
>>
>>67944467
code should be concise and commented (with concise comments), and that's about it with syntax

both examples are shit, nothing is clear about the left and nothing needs clearing on the right, but right is more shit because it's blatantly obvious that it's functionally wrong as well
>>
>>67939615
for Right side

return A>=B?a,b;
>>
I've perfected the code.
Free of charge

https://jsfiddle.net/btxuhq3w/
>>
File: 1457804989392.jpg (21 KB, 328x353) Image search: [Google]
1457804989392.jpg
21 KB, 328x353
>>67944181
>knows JavaScript but does not know how to use algorithms

What? How is that possible?
>>
>>67939615
Aside from the shitty comments, nothing sucks more than going through pages worth of code to debug/update someone else's code.

The guy's code is good if it's only a few lines, but I would rather get the girl's version if it's longer than that.
>>
>>67942195
Yeah, American schools have a high attrition rate also. To be fair, at least in America, "instruction" is shit. All basic coding like here >>67939615 should be learned though rigorous drilling of the proper way to do it. Similar to the first part of a music program and scales. Instead, the professors act as 'guides' to be available if you need help while you learn everything on your own. For a sophomore algorithms course I had to learn unix on the side for a necessary assignment. Why not incorporate it into the curriculum? Why not leave 'creativity' until later and drill the basics?
>>
>>67944660
>it's incredibly clear

I take it you've never actually written code before.

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>67945333
>can't understand basic math operations
>hurr code is unreadable
fuck off retard.
>>
>>67945184

Dunno. For some reason a fair amount of people equate knowing how to hack together jQuery with 'knowing JavaScript.'

Look at all of the popularity that articles about how 'hard' it is to set up build tools like webpack and ECMA script get. These fucking whiners need to be purged, not coddled.
>>
>>67941802
All they want the cozy leadership oriented thinking jobs because like everything for women it's all about social status and outward appearances.
>>
>>67944660
Convoluted code is just as bad as 'bad code' since it's not maintainable.
t. industry
>>
>>67945573

desu not everyone on a team has to understand the implementation details of every piece of functionality. as long as they understand the contract.
>>
>>67939615
> if (a < b && b > a)

hahahaha this is a joke right? It's pretty funny regardless
>>
File: 1452226352917.jpg (943 KB, 3744x5616) Image search: [Google]
1452226352917.jpg
943 KB, 3744x5616
>>67939615
>those comments
>>
>>67945573
there's nothing convoluted about it.

that code was written that way for speed, if you don't have the math background to understand it that doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>67945893
Yea but having a project of shit like that. Man.
Not defending her masterpiece of failure. But both are quite bad, her solution is, however, also wrong.
>>
Got my CIS degree in '05. There was a grand total of 3 females in department.

Most of the girls at university go for the low-hanging fruit degrees like education, psychology, art, english lit, and stuff like that. The more ambitious ones will go for marketing, finance, economics, and bio/chemistry. Very rarely will you see a girl in something like CS or engineering.
>>
Top comment on the linked thread

>I'm interested in CS (a developer for over 8 years). What I'm not interested in is the man that called me a 'ho-grammer' a few days ago.

>ho-grammer

fucking kek.
>>
>>67940327
>t. Hans Schreiber
>>
>>67946032
Abstract that thought to having many solutions written like this. A complex method like, say, differentiate dynamic programming implemented like this is not even usable.

Good code is written with clarity, function, portability, manageability and is also well commented.
>>
>>67945449
You're a fucking idiot and I would code circles around.
>>
File: I further improve your code.jpg (13 KB, 304x83) Image search: [Google]
I further improve your code.jpg
13 KB, 304x83
>>67945174
see pic
>>
>>67946071
See: >>67945255

Maybe the only people who should go into CS and engineering are those with a natural talent, but I think we could have a lot more at least competent-level engineers and programmers, including women, if the education style was different.
>>
>>67935542

I like it how she had a shirt that says 'got root.' This is such a clear cry for attention.

>go on, ask me what root is
>oh haha you don't know what root is?

If she were to wear that shit to an actual development company she would be fucking ridiculed.
>>
>>67940736
>making

the quote is like 500 years old
>>
>>67941380
The only "programmers" that are not socially awkward autistic retards are script kiddies. Otherwise you have to have a mathematic brain, robotic personality, and be incapable of understanding social cues or abstract concepts in order to be a real programmer.
>>
>>67946598
but can you understand what that function does?

sorry no code monkeys allowed.

>>67946353
even in more complicated programs something like that would be acceptable.

the only people touching a piece of code like that are going to have the math background to easily understand it.
>>
>>67946353
>differentiate dynamic programming
Doesn't make sense
>>
>>67946627
how do you know if the numbers are equal?
>>
>>67946991
I'm a fucking mathematician, fuck yeah I can. It is beside the point. The point is that it is not good code since it is convoluted.

>>67947053
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_dynamic_programming
>>
File: 1449111959349.jpg (123 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
1449111959349.jpg
123 KB, 500x499
>>67939615
>if(a > b && b < a)
Good lord.
>>
>>67947053
I think he means differential dynamic programming.

Even in heavy mathematical algorithms for optimization you're still going to find code like that.

That source code isn't meant for random code monkeys to understand who havent taken calc 1 at least.
>>
>>67946627

>Math.max

pussy bitch
>>
>>67947271
>I'm a fucking mathematician, fuck yeah I can. It is beside the point. The point is that it is not good code since it is convoluted.

>calls himself a mathematician
>cant understand simple bit-operations
0/10 m8
>>
>>67946991
No. This isn't school

If you want to do something efficiently and in as little time as possible, you fucking Google it, implement it, and ship it.

No one cares about your math voodoo. They care about you making the deadline and / or not going 'out of pocket' as all the sales fags say
>>
>>67946069

i gotcha mang.

all im saying is for all we know theres a well written set of tests for function on the left. im not of the opinion every function / method needs explicit comments. there are multiple ways of making code easy to grok

that being said, with the amount of tools out there that generate documentation for you from your comments.. its kinda hard to argue against at the very least explicitly stating the types. yeah ima javascript fag.
>>
>>67945573
If you need comments to understand my code then I don't want to work for you.
>>
>>67939615
The girl's program could literally be written in one line if you don't care about equality.
return a > b ? a: b;
>>
>>67947271
Oh -differential-

Differentiate is a completely different word
>>
>>67947399
lel you're a confirmed retard if you don't even know where that piece of code is from.

protip: it has to do with the game doom.

>If you want to do something efficiently and in as little time as possible, you fucking Google it, implement it, and ship it.
yeah thats what a code monkey does, fuck off code monkey.
>>
>>67946627
this would have actually been better

function compareNumbers(a, b) {
if (a != b) {
return Math.max(a, b);
} else {
return "Both numbers are equal"
}
};
alert(compareNumbers(5.764, 5.764));
>>
>>67947399
>If you want to do something efficiently and in as little time as possible, you fucking Google it, implement it, and ship it.
Fucking kill me. This is why I spend all day every day doing performance instead of my actual job.
>>
>>67947569

is it really?

carmack is a god.

ive always wanted to read through doom3 source. still haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>67939615
triggered
>>
>>67946991
Implement this function.

function longestChain(theArray,lower,upper){
//returns the longest chain of consecutive elements falling in the range lower-upper (inclusive)
}

Example:
longestChain([0,0,1,1,2,0,1,1],1,2) returns 3
longestChain([9,9,5,5,0,4,5,0],0,5) returns 6

I'll wait.
>>
>>67947618
if we talk about girl code.

then only (int) number can be return

Math.max will return same number if both a and b are equal.
>>
>>67940327
The left is better, but like so many retards he does not document his shit. When someone else comes along they're going to have a more difficult time figuring out what he made. He's bad as Pajeet in that regard.
>>
>>67947569
So you write all your shit from scratch? I'm sure you only go straight to function definitions when you need to know syntax right? Who are we kidding, who needs the standard library right?

Fucking autist.

I'd never hire someone like you.
>>
>>67948398
So you still don't understand where that code is from nice.

Fuck off until you look that up.
>>
>>67939893
This. CS isn't some exclusive boys club. In general, girls just weren't interested. Most of the CS department would give their left nut for more girls to be interested in CS.
>>
>>67947569
>>67947755

ok let's get this shit clear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
carmack did /not/ write the code
even the fucking comments on quake 3 source have people going what the fuck at the magical number

stop dickriding carmack
>>
>>67948242
it depends on the purpose of the code, Math.max won't tell the user if the number is equal or the highest.
>>
File: mistakesweremade.jpg (11 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
mistakesweremade.jpg
11 KB, 259x195
>>67935542
I thought CS meant Counter Strike at first, I was very disappointed when I read the reddit.
>>
She's a white fucking female
>>
>>67935542
>I'm interested in CS (a developer for over 8 years). What I'm not interested in is the man that called me a 'ho-grammer' a few days ago

fucking kek
>>
>>67945184

Have in mind that these are people who believe that HTML and CSS are actual programming languages.
>>
>>67948837

calm down. i wasn't saying that he did write it.

also, acknowledging someone for being a master of the craft isn't dickriding
>>
>>67941910
She's actually trolling, I think.

t. I just checked her twitter and she isn't using smileys. Plus I like the idea that she's having an autistic lesbian love affair with Taylor Swift.
>>
>>67948214
>longest chain of consecutive elements in [0, 1] is 3
>longest chain of consecutive elements in [9, 9, 5, 5, 0, 4] is 6
I'm genuinely curious what your function is about.
>>
>>67949921
Oh nevermind
>>
>>67945255
I have a friend who studied CS and he says they learned google coding standards
>>
>>67939615
>New line, then open brace
>That wasted line IN BOTH EXAMPLES
>The guys random spacing
>The girls lack of explicit visibility on max()
>Neither programs in assembly
Literally painful
>>
>>67935542
women suck at counterstrike

everytime there is a girl on my team, i get team naded or she is a fucking brick
>>
>>67949921
Looks like length of the longest sublist for which all elements are between the min and the max.
>>
>>67948214
very simple to solve but I wonder what an efficient approach would be

I'd just go through the array, have one integer for longest chain and an other one for current chain and every time the current chain (or array) ends compare it to current longest chain and overwrite if larger
>>
>>67941910
The code on the left is a way using INTEGERS to calculate the reciprocal of the square root of a number (x^-1/2), which was necessary back in like 1999 (it's used in Quake 3 and a few other 3D applications to calculate lighting normals IIRC).

The code on the right is basically 90% comments and 10% code, which is shit anyway.
>>
>>67950433
ps: I am programming illiterate

EE with specialisation in physics here, the only coding I ever did was some C++ java and assembly years ago
>>
>>67950618
You could always just do a quick sort of the whole list and post the last number in the array.
>>
File: 1456797887908.gif (860 KB, 600x313) Image search: [Google]
1456797887908.gif
860 KB, 600x313
>>67943320
GOOOOOOOOOOLDBERRRRRRRRRRG
>>
>>67944660
>It's incredibly clear
Then please, explain the significance of the number 0x5f3759df?
Protip: You can't, and everyone ITT knows it.
>>
>>67950801
That doesn't produce anything resembling the right answer though
>>
>>67950406
Judging from the example it just counts the numbers in between the specified min max.

But that doesn't make sense, because he said he wanted it to return the longest chain.
>>
>>67945226
Most people would break down the code into sections and explain what each section does and how they relate to one another

the girl's code literally explains every single god damn line. If you're a programmer, you should already know what return a means
>>
Holy shit, they are all like SJWs and they complain a lot about sexism.

No wonder people don't want to spend time with them
>>
>>67950916
It will always post the last number. I.E. the largest.
>>
>>67947476
it's just max, so your solution is correct
>>
>>67950953
LENGTH of the longest chain

>>67951039
Are we looking at the same problem? I'm looking at >>67948214, where the returned values 3 and 6 don't even appear in the input arrays.
>>
>>67951183
Oh yes, but that still doesn't make sense.

What is a chain?
>>
>>67939615
that triggered me
>>
File: 1452172051940.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1452172051940.jpg
77 KB, 1024x768
>>67950801
>>67951039
what

>>67951183
am i allowed to answer or are we waiting on that spastic to throw some convoluted bullshit into the mix with his open university math degree?
>>
>>67948214

my ghetto implementation:

'use strict';
function isInRange(num, range) {
return (num >= range.lower && num <= range.upper);
}

function longestChain(arr, lower, upper) {
let tally = 0;
let streak = 0;
arr.forEach((ele) => {
if (isInRange(ele, { lower, upper })) {
tally++;
if (tally >= streak) {
streak = tally;
}
}
else {
tally = 0;
}
});
return streak;
}
>>
File: CdMjVzNUUAAT4ig.jpg orig.jpg (138 KB, 1157x1157) Image search: [Google]
CdMjVzNUUAAT4ig.jpg orig.jpg
138 KB, 1157x1157
>>67939615

Let me explain

Code ont he left is a fast inverse square root. Probably lifted from Quake 3 source code. John Carmack (who is a god tier coder) adapted it from somewhere. It's an incredibly fast and quite accurate method of solving a hard problem extremely quickly. In fact, the number chosen is almost black magic - someone did a lot of research to find it - its even better than something you'd find by Newton approximation.

On the right, you have a pants-on-head retarded level function.... that is so basic, it already exists in literally every coding language already. On top of that, it's broken and doesn't even do taht well.

SO basically the left-hand code is like a Lamborghini and the right code is a russian Lada or Trabant spewing smoke.
>>
>>67942190
>$12000
>learn to be a good programmer in six weeks
>guaranteed job
I wish I thought up this scam
>>
>>67951183
>>67951390

Oh oh, sorry. I didn't see it, I thought we were talking about the girl's problem. I've been sleep deprived for a while now.

Soz, I'll let myself out now. Stupid me.
>>
>>67951183
eh, never mind, I derped. It's easy.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 574x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 574x500
>>67939615

>look at the code on the left
>nothing looks wrong
>look closer
>nothing
>look at the right
>why is everything being explained?
>read the comments
>it finally clicks

Lel
>>
>>67939615
The girl code is an obvious joke, holy shit.
>else returns 5 because I'm so random yay
>>
File: Screenshot_20160229-021241.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160229-021241.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
I had about 5 total girls in uni CS classes, no more than 1 in each class. 1 even appeared to be normal.
>>
>>67940064
Why are you so fucking retarded?

I am an autistic shut in retard and it's VERY OBVIOUS how my life completely devoid of skills could turn into me frantically learning everything I can about programming, drawing, or writing, as I struggle to find a meaningful long term hobby to waste my time on.
>>
File: stallman.gif (3 MB, 224x300) Image search: [Google]
stallman.gif
3 MB, 224x300
>>67951513
get some sleepo amigo
>>
>>67948214
-- glorious Haskell master race
thing xs lo hi = go 0 0 xs where {
go _ best [] = best;
go cur best (x : xs)
| lo <= x && x <= hi = go (cur + 1) (max (cur + 1) best) xs
| otherwise = go 0 best xs
}
>>
>>67936587
My best friend is one. She just doesn't wear that shit on her sleeve like a cunt.
>>
>>67936587
iv'e met a lot of women that are actually realy good and productive coders

thing is they're all indian women
>>
>>67939615
It's obviously satire. Someone who codes like on the right will never even have heard of fast inverse square root.
>>
>>67952010
The real insult, and I'm not sure how anyone missed this, is the use of multiline comments.
>>
>>67951950
i was tempted to post about the one girl i know, and she's indian, so i don't have evidence to the contrary
>>
>>67935542
I'm in CS. Our undergraduate class was 5 women in class of 80. This was apparently already higher than the year before and they accepted every single female application without a second thought. Even with PhD grants they are very desperate for women and will let women with average grades go ahead over men with cum laudes.
>>
File: 1457571817342.jpg (25 KB, 480x433) Image search: [Google]
1457571817342.jpg
25 KB, 480x433
>>67939615
I am going to guess this leet gurrrrrl hacker wrote both.
>>
>>67940327
>>67948374
the left is hot garbage you fucking idiots

>declaring a constant for a 5 line function
>using 0x5f3759df without declaring it in a variable first
>not a single comment

The right is fucking shit too, but don't try to make it look like the left is any better
>>
>>67939615
what is the point of declaring a variable named threehalfs to just assign it the value 3/2 and use it as a constant. Does it do anything besides add an extra instruction?
>>
File: down with cis.jpg (81 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
down with cis.jpg
81 KB, 600x800
>>67935542
your link is from a parody sub you fucking dip.
>>
File: jobs and gender.png (595 KB, 674x7920) Image search: [Google]
jobs and gender.png
595 KB, 674x7920
>>67937132
voici ma nigga
>>
File: duh.gif (796 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
duh.gif
796 KB, 640x360
>>67952354
it's for clarity silly
>>
Nah there are girls doing UI/UX design now, and they're basically psych majors
desu senpai if you didn't major in CE you should just shred your cs degree, because it feels as if they'll implement different degree paths to enhance diversity anytime now
>>
>>67941910
The left side is hot garbage
The right side is hot garbage

It's basically trollbait to make guys try to defend the left and gurls try to defend the right

Meanwhile anyone that knows how to program even a little bit is fucking infuriated by both sides
>>
>>67951854
source senpai
>>
File: Denise_Milani_Wallpaper.jpg (118 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Denise_Milani_Wallpaper.jpg
118 KB, 1600x1200
>>67939615
The code on the left does look more convoluted, but that's because it's some kind of weird, but clever hack Carmack wrote into the Doom engine. The code on the right is something you'd find in any CS101 class. There's no reason these should be compared, and now I think Karlie is a cunt.
>>
>>67952354
>Does it do anything besides add an extra instruction?
It doesn't even add an instruction if your compiler is worth a damn.
>>
>>67952314
>not a single comment
It originally had two comments, one of which was "what the fuck"
>>67952354
carmack operates on another plane of existence.
>>
>>67935542
install gentoo
>>
>>67952407
SRS isn't a parody sub, it's where SJWs go to circlejerk about how everyone else on reddit is basically hitler.
>>
>>67939615
>Shalom Ayash
>The code on the left is bad! It is hacker code used to steal nude photos! Stay away!
Not sure if kikemaster, or legit pants-on-head retarded.
>>
File: stats.jpg (170 KB, 1000x834) Image search: [Google]
stats.jpg
170 KB, 1000x834
>>
>>67952314
>not recognizing the quake fast sqrt
Leave your coding license by the door
>>
>>67936587
I actually know a pretty decent programmer who's a woman. They certainly exist.

>>67939128
I wish we kept the SJWs out - they took over GitHub and Gayzilla, and they're worming their way into other groups.
>>
>>67952827
i'm not commenting on the functionality, i'm commenting on the styling of the programming

Anybody with that type of style would be an absolute nightmare to work with in any sort of official capacity

I know who John Carmack is, but just because he's sooper smart doesn't mean his programming style is good
>>
>>67952827
>you don't recognize this somewhat obscure algorithm
>lol you cant code
>>
>>67939615

Well commented code is quickest way to make yourself unemployed. Why continue to hire you when you've just made it super easy for any intern/Pajeet to maintain?

Only comment enough to meet minimum expected standards and enjoy being irreplaceable.
>>
>>67952772
>IQs have been calculated from students' SAT test scores
Then they should list the SAT scores directly, instead of using the result of some nonsense formula. Honestly I have a hard time believing those IQ numbers, given 130 is 2 standard deviations = 97.5%ile
>>
This is why I hate liberals. Just because something doesn't reflect the proportions of society doesn't mean there is any sinister happenings behind it. Equality is itself a farce if libs want to continue viewing it in this manner.

Most of athletes are black, but it doesn't stop a white guy, or even an Asian guy, from participating in sports. Most of Hollywood is Jews, but it doesn't gentiles from participating either.

So long as you're not being legally barred from entry, and there is no clear cut case of racial/gender discrimination occurring, who gives a shit? Why do the majority of women have to care about computer science? Demographics can change over time naturally, and if they don't, it's still not a bad thing.

Fuck liberals.
>>
>>67939615
WTF is this pleb language where you don't use brackets. Also one does something more complex than the other.

If you want to comment every single line enjoy getting fired.
>>
>>67953216
they are both c
>>
>>67945333
Heres your (you).

Assuming you're just an idiot, the left was most likely devised by Gary Tarolli (3Dfx CTO) at SGI in the early 90s. It would seem YOU haven't written any code before, the left is extremely fast with only minor error on a non SSE processor.
>>
>>67953142
Unless the code is completely trivial, all the comments in the world won't give you the full understanding of the person who wrote it. Meaning unless you really fuck up somehow, they're always better off keeping you around than trying to get a replacement to understand the stuff.
>>
>>67952479
This doesn't surprise me at all. Low Male pop in jobs all being caring fields and the high being physical labor.
>>
File: hulk hogan.png (239 KB, 561x610) Image search: [Google]
hulk hogan.png
239 KB, 561x610
Anyone have that comic where a bunch of girls go to college and get women's studies degrees instead of going into STEM and then complaining that there aren't enough women in STEM?
>>
>>67953216
>WTF is this pleb language where you don't use brackets.
are you and retard
>>
>>67951478
So your grasp of the English language is more comparable to the right hand side of things then?
>>
File: stemwomen-500x497.jpg (73 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
stemwomen-500x497.jpg
73 KB, 500x497
>>67953585
Literally first result on google for 'not enough women in stem comic'
>>
>>67953213
This

We really need to bring back a meritorious system. Those who get far on performance should matter, not those who think they are important and brown nose so far up someone's ass that all they smell is shit.
>>
>>67951478
JK, luv u
>>
>>67953690
I just noticed they all dyed their hair, kek
>>
File: whatthefuck.jpg (50 KB, 354x571) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.jpg
50 KB, 354x571
>>67948214
Alright guys, i did it in ruby, perhaps in the most ineloquent, un-ruby way possible, but i did it by myself.

used to be a python cuck but decided to do ruby since its what im trying to learn at the moment
>>
>>67936587

Well there are literally tons of them, they just have nothing to do with this wierd SJW trend of "everyone code! I love science! Girls in stem plz!".

Do you think Grace Hopper fits into this mold?
>>
I saw this press interview by the makers of Silicon Valley on Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/03/cast-of-hbos-silicon-valley-discuss-the-real-tech-region-at-swsw/

>"We shot some crowd footage at Disrupt," the real TechCrunch conference that fictional Pied Piper competes in, he said. I have a friend in tech who called me, and she said, 'Those crowd shots are absurd, you didn't put any women in there at all.' I had to tell her—those were real shots.
>>
>>67935542
Most people are not interested in CS, that's all.

Fuck nerds.
>>
>>67953833
>in_range
Holy fuck son what are you doing. Just use a couple of < like a civilized person
>>
>>67952772
Y axis is mislabeled. Correct label is 'Degree of spastic autist fucktardedness'. You should know this.
>>
>>67953833
Please just stop.
>>
>>67947618

fucking hell, look here noobs Math.max is where it's at, but if you want babby's first integer comparison then you'll find it below.

function compareNumbers(a,b) {
if (a > b) {
return a;
}
return b;
}

>inb4 hurr durr what if they're the same, who fucking cares because then it doesn't matter which one gets returned.
>>
>>67953690
>Long skirt before
>Long skirt after
The freaking patriarchy oppressing our dressing style yet again!
>>
>>67936587

Yeah but when the number of girls you meet is 0, of course you're not going to meet any programmers. Just like I'm sure you haven't met any strong girls, smart girls, talented girls, or clever girls. THEY JUST DON'T EXIST CUZ U HAVEN'T SEEN EM!
>>
>>67947475
Then enjoy never being hired anywhere. Code is inherently non-intuitive, nobody has the capacity or time to fully comprehend every library, every function, every bug. If you don't comment at least on the major blocks I don't want to work with you.
>>
File: find the correlation.png (58 KB, 741x643) Image search: [Google]
find the correlation.png
58 KB, 741x643
>>67952479
>>
File: wakemeup.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>67939615
>>
>>67941380
what the fuck even is pic related
>>
>>67954282
>a couple of <
please explain
>>
>>67947475
Hey faggot, you write code for other people to read, not for computers.

Computers have to compile your code into shit they can actually understand.

Stupid fucking nigger.
>>
>>67948214
>supposed to return an array
>correct answer is apparently a fucking integer

what is wrong with you, you can't explain for shit
>>
>>67935542
reality is mean

please change it
>>
>>67944467
=^.^=
Women are so much more kawaii at coding!
=^.^=
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-05_22-16-00.png (59 KB, 1601x899) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-05_22-16-00.png
59 KB, 1601x899
Who /dlang/ here?
>>
>>67948214
trivially done in linear time in the length of the array and constant space assuming the size of its elements are bounded
>>
>>67944467
depends on what you're making
>>
>>67947475
Let's see how that mentality holds when you're done the first year of your community college.
>>
>>67935542
t. b.s. African women studies
>>
>>67943645
>Acting like we didn't see your Burt Reynolds erotic roleplay chatroom tab
>>
File: file.png (62 KB, 1303x817) Image search: [Google]
file.png
62 KB, 1303x817
>>67955366
C master ace
>>
>>67936587

Good female programmers exist, definitely so. Traditionally they're about 1/3rd of the programmer market. I mean, look at Grace Hopper.

Also, this is an excellent article: https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/girls-and-software

There is no problem with misogyny in programming environments. It's a lie made up by people who can barely write documentation or implement fizzbuzz or some other stupid shit.
>>
My sister is working on her Doctorate in ITCS. She's been the only female in the program since the third year of her undergrad which was about 5 years ago.

Majority of Women literally aren't interested in computer sciences and code.

Sis is such a oddity that the only other women she has even encountered in the field are all either foreign exchange students or foreign researchers
>>
OH NO LOOK AT THIS RAMPANT MISOGYNY
>>
File: women in STEM.jpg (65 KB, 599x595) Image search: [Google]
women in STEM.jpg
65 KB, 599x595
>>67936587
I've known several good coder girls.
Funny thing is that maybe one was a feminist. Several were anti-feminist.
There are plenty of women that are good at coding and other STEM things. And most of them don't much care for feminist bullshit, they leave that to the women's studies majors
>>
>>67956652
>There is no problem with misogyny in programming environments.

I think it's just women not being able to handle or even understand banter. I'm not even joking either.
Every mostly/all male jobs I've had with a semi-casual work environment there's always tons of workplace banter and joking, and whenever a woman was hired she wouldn't understand it and thought everyone hated each other because they were insulting one another.
When people try to banter with her, she takes it offensively and makes a complaint management.
>>
>>67947618
why the fuck would I want a string as a return value from an integer compare

>he doesn't use __m128i _mm_max_epi32() to compute 4 maxes in 1 cycle
>>
>>67948214
this has a pretty simple O(n) time O(1) space solution just by iterating through the list and counting numbers within the range, dumping to a max value when a number is out of the range or at the end of the list

can't see a possible O(1) time solution since you'd have to at least touch every value
>>
>>67939615
actual coder here, these functions are of completely different outcome.

Fuck I wanna punch that girl in the face
>>
>>67948214
Really simple.

def LongestChain(array, min, max):
chain = 0
long = 0
for val in array:
if val >= min and val <= max:
chain += 1
else:
chain = 0
if chain > long:
long = chain
return long
>>
>>67957559
There's a lot of truth to that. And not just banter, sometimes actual harsh criticism. Programmers aren't always nice when you make a stupid mistake, if you fuck up you might get yelled at and called a fucking moron. But men are used to verbal abuse so they just let it roll, while women will cry misogyny
>>
>>67939615
if you want to convince people you can write code, comparing yourself to carmack isn't a good place to start
>>
File: 320x.jpg (18 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
320x.jpg
18 KB, 320x480
>>67935542
There's a documentary called 'Hjernevask' which shows woman in Europe have the most equal rights. And with those rights, they choose non-technical fields.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaTc15plVs
In India and Middle Eastern countries, women choose more technical fields, not because of more equality but for necessity (higher pay).
>>
>>67951892
haskellfag in /pol/
what?
anyways, how advanced are you
I already kind of get monads
>>
>>67946882
>incapable of understanding abstract concepts
>to be a ""real"" programmer

buddy, I've got some news for you
>>
I would like to learn, but I have no idea where to begin.
>>
>>67961606
Learn what?
>>
>>67961389
Why even bother responding.
>>
The motor and regulator need to be replaced for one of my car windows. When I called the dealership to inquire about cost, I was quoted nearly a thousand dollars. When a male friend called the dealership a few minutes later and inquired the same thing, he was quoted a mere $350. It's disgusting that as a woman, not only is there a wage gap, but in this instance I'm expected to pay more than double what a man would have been charged.
Gender bias is real. It's nice to give our minds a break and hope that it will just stay in a sphere of theoretical thought, but, let's not kid ourselves, systemic oppression trickles down to occurrences in our daily lives. It's not everywhere but it can be anywhere.
*Bright side* The first words out of my partner's mouth when he heard of the discrepancy: "We're not paying those sexist fuckers a dime."
>>
>>67961675
fresh pasta?
>>
>>67961606
Programming
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.