[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the "not an argument man" destroyed my vi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14
File: Dalailama1_20121014_4639.jpg (999 KB, 1084x1280) Image search: [Google]
Dalailama1_20121014_4639.jpg
999 KB, 1084x1280
Now that the "not an argument man" destroyed my views about buddhism, I'm in atheist waters again.

Which other religion can I try??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBH0ywUUx5k
>>
>>67876080
kakav si ti imbecil
>>
>>67876463
thx for bump, sadly, I cant read your mind.. you need to elaborate.
>>
File: golden rule.jpg (822 KB, 1577x2060) Image search: [Google]
golden rule.jpg
822 KB, 1577x2060
>>67876080
Why do you feel the need to conform to any religion at all? Just read everything, contemplate on what you read and then take the good bits and ignore the rest. All religions have a few good points but to think that you will find everything you need to know in one book is just ludicrous.
>>
>>67876080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYfuJfIgaw

sacred geometry, a walt disney movie back when he disney was about enlightenment.
>>
>>67876606
well, I need a higher purpose, which brings with it
>motivation
>hapiness
>feeling of worthiness

I am incapable of finding a worthwhile purpose on my own. Every purpose I come up with my brain easily nullifies/rationalizes.

enlightenment seemd like a good purpose, but now I just realize it doesnt exist and leads to slave mindset/morality
>>
>>67876793
>enlightenment seemd like a good purpose, but now I just realize it doesnt exist and leads to slave mindset/morality
Yeah it does, don't let that not an argument tell you it doesn't.
>>
Dalai Lama is CIA, look it up
>>
>>67876080
What were the things that attracted you to buddhism in the first place? Seemed exotic and "spiritual"? Muh suffering?

I'm curious about this. Especially considering someone like the Grand Lama. Tibetan Buddhism is worst buddhism and it's the one that is (vaguely) known among western cuck-spiritualism. The Zen tradition is superior in all ways (no weeboo) as far as buddhism is concerned.
>>
Just eat 5 dried grams of magic mushrooms and find out for yourself instead of asking others you disempowered idiot
>>
File: 1440274062526.jpg (432 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1440274062526.jpg
432 KB, 1000x750
>>67876080

I think you should separate you're understanding of religion into two categories
>the social/pollitical
>the personal/theological

I was raised evengelical christian, later became atheist in college for about 7 years, up until recently when I discovered the reasons I had to be an atheist, while valid, were limited in scope of what they could be used for, e.g. personal development.

One big element to religion, for me, is the idea of humility. That we are here at all, is incredible. I think science stifles our humility by giving no grounding to our ethics, while at the same time attempting to satiate our need of truth with materialism, which is inescapably nihilistic.

Why did your view of buddhism vanish?
>>
File: palatinushale2.jpg (43 KB, 302x460) Image search: [Google]
palatinushale2.jpg
43 KB, 302x460
>>67876080
[report to de-possession chashe]
>>
>>67876729
damn son
they really don't make cartoons like they used to
>>
File: 1457909215617.png (233 KB, 524x541) Image search: [Google]
1457909215617.png
233 KB, 524x541
>Stephen Mol.
Man really? You're going to let a cult leader dissuade you from joining another cult? Honestly. Everyone has done something wrong. Besides just because D. Lamah has done something wrong doesn't mean you don't need to practice buddism. After all individuals have to take their own path to enlightenment.
>>
Christianity is base af.

https://www.youtube.com/user/InspiringPhilosophy/featured
>>
File: 1563545434.png (176 KB, 300x518) Image search: [Google]
1563545434.png
176 KB, 300x518
>>67876080
>can I try
>try

Check into Catholicism. Not just the basics, but the core idea behind it.
I can give you book advice, basics, and such if you need it.
Will be following the thread for a bit.
>>
why do you need religion? you live in Croatia, you see all the worst religion has to offer? jebote koji kurac
>>
Dalai Lama isn't really a buddhist figure.
>>
>>67876793
>well, I need a higher purpose, which brings with it
>>motivation
>>hapiness
>>feeling of worthiness
>I am incapable of finding a worthwhile purpose on my own. Every purpose I come up with my brain easily nullifies/rationalizes.
>enlightenment seemd like a good purpose, but now I just realize it doesnt exist and leads to slave mindset/morality

But you're just an ape on a rock in space, just like the rest of us. Find motivation, happiness and worthiness through good works. You don't need a religion for that.
Practical application requires study though.
>>
>>67879523
He's a figure in Tibetan Buddhism.
The failure of the OP is to think Tibetan Buddhism is Buddhism itself. The video isn't doing that grand either, unable to parse the very basics of the religion from misunderstandings about it, such as talking about the Hindu Reincarnation like its the Buddhist Rebirth.
>>
>>67876793
Falun Dafa
>>
>>67878733
this guy knows his stuff, zen budhissm (heavy emphasis on zen) is the only way to go

really if you understand zen, you don't need the buddhism part, or the zen part
>>
>>67876080

Jesus, if you want a religion just pick one that suits you best. It's okay if you believe in it, it's okay if you're wrong in the end because you're living an infinitesimal short life on an aging planet.

I myself am merely an animist. I believe in spirits, but I don't think there's a reason for their or my own existence, it simply is. I believe that anything crystallized on the material plane must also someday dissolve, and that includes the universe.

Just find what suits you. If atheism is right it didn't matter anyway.
>>
>>67878733
>What were the things that attracted you to buddhism in the first place?
inconsistencies in my own religion, I just stopped believing one day due to overwhelming evidence against my religion (christianity)

>>67878759
I was thinking about it.. don't have access to drugs (also, not sure if halucinations will convince me otherwise)

>>67878782
>One big element to religion, for me, is the idea of humility.
this disgusts me, its slave mentality. One reason i despise Japan and zen buddhism

>>67879355
I was a catholic. The current Pope disgusts me.. I d rather become a fucking muslim.

>>67879477
jebiga, život nema smisla ovako

>>67879598
I tried that and failed. Whats your motivation... give me some examples. "Good works" just doesnt work for me.

>>67879700
are you trying to tell me that buddhism doesn't promote slave mentality. "I'm happy with my poverty. I am so noble.. look at me.."
>>
>>67882598
>I tried that and failed. Whats your motivation... give me some examples. "Good works" just doesnt work for me.

By good works I mean anything that makes you feel good. This could be anything from regular work. Think ahead and of the performance and importance of even being a sanitations worker or graphics designer. My own personal calling is archaeology.
>>
>>67876606
Why waste my time?
>not just being an atheist

Keep worrying about fake magic while real niggers come into your country
>>
Reading about Odom made me want to get into buddhism again

I never get that kind of shit though
>>
>>67876080
Local. There is no point chosing any religioun for faith reason. However you can be part of great civilization process and contribute to great stuff already existing.

Religion is pointless, its achievements however - in culture, architecture, social engineering and bounding are great.

If in your city and country, there are great achivements and examples of architecture, community activity etc. of some religion - be it Christian, Muslim or Jewish: you can join them, and then regardless of actual faith bullshit be a positive force in human civilization.

Looking for "spiritual" bullshit for self enlightment? Thats sick.

Accept the existentialism and nichilism. And accepting them you realize all is fake and pointless, and only point is the one you create for yourself - so might as well join pointless ideology or Church if it makes you fill fulfilled and gives life goal.
>>
>>67882750
well, you have some good points there. if I was proficient in my work and got validation from society for it, I would probably be happy

>>67882859
One other reason I despise buddhism now is, it seems like an religion for controlling population. "Be happy in your misery little man, accept it, don't try to fight it"
>>
>>67883024
>and got validation from society for it, I would probably be happy

Everything is thankless, just thank yourself by treating yourself after a hard day or month of work.
>>
>>67879598
>Trying to advertise atheism
>>
>>67876080
Kopimism. You just pirate everything
>>
>>67876080
Come to Catholicism.

God wants your soul to be saved by the one true faith
>>
>>67876080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6aIhHzXkw
>>
>>67876080
>Listening to Cuckan Molyneaux

anything that he didn't read of of wikipedia is going to be bullshit and not to be taken seriously.
>>
>>67883014
Anon, i have considered this as an atheist and I think I'm at that stage of existential zero fucks that i would rather reap the social benefits church was built to exploit. Should i be jewish tho? Which church has the most prosperous followers?
>>
>>67876080
Don't listen to Molyneux - he is a cult-leader.
>>
>>67876080
You need someone to explain you that dalailama is a greedy son of a bitch without any moral high ground to judge anyone?
>>
>>67883149
I already practise this kind of religion, it just leads me to timewasting and hedonism

>>67883080
I think religion fails. Only society can give you a good purpose. For example being a right winger who protects his nation, or being a leftist who wants to help "those poor opressed childeren in Africa".
Too bad I dont give a fuck about society and my nation, since they don't give a fuck about me.

>>67883014
>And accepting them you realize all is fake and pointless, and only point is the one you create for yourself
Well it worked out so well for Nietsche, didn't it.

>>67883342
sadly yes, brainwashing by media and pseudo intellectuals does that to you
>>
>>67876080
The Dalai Llama is only the head of Tibetan Buddhism. Burmese Buddhists hate him as an example.
>>
>>67876080
Buddhism isn't a belief about a god or gods, though, I thought.
>>
>>67882598
Do you mean slave mentality in the Nietzschean sense? I'm not an expert but I think Buddhism is more focused with the internal struggle rather than external, I see Buddhism as being more an attempt at self-mastery, not being a slave to the ebbs and flows of emotion and instead understanding the true nature of reality and self - emptiness. The video kind of misunderstands some of this - nirvana isn't really about ceasing the cycle of reincarnation, though Buddhism certainly has some of this Hindu remnant in it, but rather I think it's to cease 'karma' which is the perception that there are good and bad actions and that these leave some mark on your 'soul'.
>>
>>67876080
sikhs, become brotier
>>
File: 1329713746468.jpg (51 KB, 400x547) Image search: [Google]
1329713746468.jpg
51 KB, 400x547
>>67883499
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Mind
>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1571064513001188
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness
>http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.1617
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_B._Tucker

Tl;dr: Consciousness is an intrinsic property of universe, emerging from sufficiently complex networks. Your brain is an anthenna, the signal is elsewhere. Reincarnation is probably real
>>
I'm not a buddhist, but I meditate and feel fine about things

Why not just list your beliefs as "none"
>>
>>67876080

The Buddhists are still right in that we all share one consciousness, but enlightenment is definitely bunk. Not because its "slave morality" but because it is simply the killing of the mind. There is no difference between enlightenment and death. The quickest path to enlightenment is to kill yourself.

As for motivation and finding ways to avoid killing yourself, that's easy. The universe is based in consciousness. We are all one consciousness observing the universe and everything in it, most notably sentient creatures. Every sentient creature is being experience by your fundamental consciousness the same way the person I'm typing to on 4chan is. That is your motivation. Enlightenment only releases one person from the chain of eternal suffering. The goal of a true Buddhist should be to end sentience, and thus suffering, everywhere.

At first this ideology might make you a hippy "We are all one man" guy, but it soon becomes obvious that trying to get everyone on the planet to kill themselves would be impossible. Even worse, anti-natalist movements are only popular in white countries, which tend to have the lowest level of suffering. This is why I support white supremacy and imperialism. In my ideal world, whites will have taken over the globe and removed the lesser races and cultures with high suffering outputs.

>>67884261

No it is not. You can not reincarnate because you can never die. Your brain is not an antenna, but a unique biological construct that allows the consciousness that is always "observing" every atom in the universe to perceive that universe through the senses.
>>
File: 597120605_e61a4ec005.jpg (201 KB, 493x500) Image search: [Google]
597120605_e61a4ec005.jpg
201 KB, 493x500
>>67876080
>my views of buddhism consist of an old tibetan man
>>
>>67884195
>not being a slave to the ebbs and flows of emotion
well, my recent thinking is that emotion is good. If it was that bad, we wouldn't be gifted with it by nature. Since I've started practicing buddhims I've become ambitonless.

>>67884261
I don't believe this. If it were true, I would have memories from former lifes or could tap into knowledge I dont have.

>>67884440
>The goal of a true Buddhist should be to end sentience, and thus suffering, everywhere.
sou, universal cataclysm then?
My question is, why did the conciousness create/start participating in the universe in the first place, if annihilation is the end goal.
>>
>>67882598
Hallucinogens are a meme, they're psychedelics.
Visit the Netherlands if your government cucked you out of your psilocybin.
>>
>>67884440
Bullshit. The core tenets of buddhism is not LMAO DUDE NIRVANA DUDE DO NOTHING SMOKE WEED ERRYDAY 420. The core tenets of buddhism are the relentless pursuit of truth and the lack of attachment towards the results of your actions (altough this concept was better expressed in hinduism and taoism). Eastern stoicism.
>>67885038
Memories are stored inside your physical brain. They die with it. But there are cases of people recalling details of past lives, and these details apparently match their memories. My links provide what you need to know
>>
>>67885038
>My question is, why did the conciousness create/start participating in the universe in the first place, if annihilation is the end goal.

There is no end goal, the consciousness is not a sentient being. I cant answer any questions about the origins of consciousness. I speculate that consciousness is outside of time and is simply all there has ever been.
>>
>>67884440
>The Buddhists are still right in that we all share one consciousness

This is the hindu view, not the buddhist view.
>>
>>67876080
Jainism
>>
>>67885038
I don't think it's about extinguishing emotion, just not being a slave to it - recognising that you are not your emotions. I don't think even 'enlightened' people stop feeling emotions entirely, they just act from a different place. Buddhism calls it developing skilful means, a kind of intuitive way to act that isn't based on emotion but a compassion that is without reservation.
>>
>>67885421
I don't think Buddhism discounts it, but the Buddhism as the Buddha preached it wasn't really concerned with metaphysics. Whether God exists is a 'mu' question - it can't be answered.
>>
>>67876080
Holocaust
>>
>>67885272
so, conciousness is the vicitm of the physical world. it can't affect it, it can only experience it.. that's some fucked up shit mate.

>>67885740
who knows, maybe it's not buddhism fault.. maybe its the drinking water and our food. I'm starting to believe in those low testosterone conspiracies. I just know that my hapiness and motivation went on a downward spiral since i started meditation (but again, correlation doesn't equal causation)
>>
>>67876080
You're a weak minded, easily manipulated pussy. Stop "trying religions" and go kill yourself. At least that way you'll find out which one (if any) is right.
>>
>>67876080
Darwinism
>>
>>67886030
A
>>
>>67886030
FUCKING
>>
>>67886030
LEAF
>>
File: 1430567244525.jpg (152 KB, 681x1024) Image search: [Google]
1430567244525.jpg
152 KB, 681x1024
>>67876080
join glorious monolith
>>
File: cucknada3.jpg (398 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
cucknada3.jpg
398 KB, 1200x798
>>67886030
DUDE
>>
File: zar.jpg (57 KB, 243x320) Image search: [Google]
zar.jpg
57 KB, 243x320
>>67876080
>>
>>67876080
>Tibetian buddhism = all of buddhism
But honestly Taoism is vastly superior. Laozi is one of the, if not the greatest philosopher of all time.
>>
>>67885959
Maybe it's part of the process? Like you have to destroy yourself to recreate yourself? I havent meditated for a long time, but I went through a spiritual rebirth i guess you could say after coming out of depression. I do remember though that when I did meditate it made me question lots of things. Maybe you're just quieting your mind and not used to it? I mean, in a way what Buddhism say is that what we think of as important motivators, worldly pleasures, are empty in that they are transient. So maybe you're just seeing that for yourself. You might not like it now, but if you believe the Buddha, it leads to a richer life without suffering.
>>
>>67876080
>I'm in atheist waters again.

good for you, that Dalai Lama is entirely supported by the US to make China look bad, he's also a for real legitimate Nazi
>>
File: atheismreddit.png (217 KB, 986x392) Image search: [Google]
atheismreddit.png
217 KB, 986x392
>>67886384
>good for you
>>
>>67876080
The Dalai Lama is still hilarious though. He made China mad by saying he was going to reincarnate into a woman in America.
>>
File: 1457061831006.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1457061831006.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>67876080
Watched the video didn't hear a single argument
>>
>>67883014
Reading too much Turgenev lately?
>>
>>67885959

Your motivation (as it pertains to the outside world) should go down, but not your happiness. If I have one complaint about my stint with meditation its that it gave me the ability to be content with barely anything. If you're to meditate I suggest you either commit yourself fully (you probably wont be able to do this) or you hold off until you've made a stable living for yourself.
>>
>>67886373
well, buddha is a real bad role model.. he is a fucking hippie.
>left his pregnant wife
>left his state (which he should have governed)
the sad thing is, I'm becoming like him. I don't give a fuck about anything honestly. I don't think it will end good for me if I keep this up.
>>
>>67886845
Read the Bhaghavad Gita then. The core message is the same, but the way to get to your goal is diametrically opposed, as it emphasizes the role of action and effort over idleness
>>
>>67883181
You know, I have been tempted to explore Catholicism, and every day I drive by a beautiful Catholic church on my way home from work. I was born and raised Southern Baptist, and as I've gotten older, I'm shocked at how this denomination operates. Every last one I've been in appears cheap, like they're wasting their donations. Faux-gold crosses, ratty carpet, etc. Just does not look proper.
>>
>>67876080
How about you read a book by Richard Dawkins?
>>
>>67876080
Stephan makes some good videos, but I stopped taking him seriously when tried to use evolution as some kind of biological base for why keeping a baby out of daycare and with its mother was an inherit good.

Don't get me wrong, I agree about the baby thing, but he's a non-aggression principle libertarian, using darwinistic thought to justify a moral good.

It's counter inductive, especially when you consider the theories about how humanity became the dominate and hyper intelligent Homo Erectus it is today.

>here's a hint. Neanderthalls were 't the first, nor last human branch to mysteriously "disappear"
>>
>>67886937
well, I'm actually 2/3 into the gita.. (its a version with comentaries, so it takes longer.. and I'm a slow reader too)

>>67886967
I started reading "Selfish Gene" and got depressed after 50 pages. Beforehand I was convinced that the purpose of life is to spread your genes, afterward I realized even this isn't important.
>>
>>67887205
DNA carries complex informations, necessary to create more sentient life, which in turn creates more complexity in the universe.
>>
>>67886967
he already has an MLP collection
>>
Buddhism is great as a philosophy when you don't get bogged down in who is a reincarnation of what. Tibetan Buddhism is sketchy as a religion though.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.