[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Logical Fallacies" are just a diversion tactic. Pointing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: StrawMan2.jpg (91 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
StrawMan2.jpg
91 KB, 600x450
"Logical Fallacies" are just a diversion tactic. Pointing out a person's logical fallacy does nothing to make the argument better. Instead of arguing about abortion or whatever, you're now arguing about arguing.

So why is the internet so obsessed with logical fallacies? Why can't they just argue like normal people? I wish I could live in a world where no one knew what a "strawman" is.
>>
Because they aren't valid arguments.

A correct argument is based on logic, and also objective facts.
>>
>>67783071
>I wish I could live in a world where no one knew what a "strawman" is.

That's a pretty amazing thought: a language that isn't developed enough to classify all the faulty rhetoric that can appear in it, and yet still has it. Also, most people on the Internet forget the fallacy fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy
>>
>>67783071
It's not to change the target of the argument, it's to make the argument more rational.
An irrational argument has the same if not less value than shitposting.
>>
If one commits fallacies during his arguments you are put off from listening to him and having to reply to him again.
>>
File: BTFO.png (69 KB, 265x184) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
69 KB, 265x184
>>67783202
>>
>>67783071

well usually a proper use of pointing out a logical fallacy is to SHOW that their argument is garbage or simply isnt an argument in the first place.
>>
>>67783071
its basically just a list of bait and switch arguments that people most often get away with
>>
>>67783071
Pointing out the fact that you're trying to derail the fucking arguement with bullshit destroys your standing. We aren't stupid enough to be tricked into following a path to our own demise. Fucking kill yourself. No seriously if you have to base your arguement in a fallacy then your brain isn't functioning properly.
>>
>>67783907
>make a stupid argument
>someone tells you your argument is wrong
>I'M EATING ALL THE BURGERS FUCK YOU!

Liberals are hilarious until you realize they're actually serious.
>>
>>67783907
The fallacy fallacy assumes that the arguement you think is a fallacy is not actually a fallacy. If someone draws facts incorrectly because of their line of thinking, you need to call them out on it.
>>
>>67784247
>The fallacy fallacy assumes that the arguement you think is a fallacy is not actually a fallacy.
It doesn't, unless by "argument is a fallacy" you mean "thesis is wrong". It means that a fallacy commited in trying to prove something doesn't disprove it. It may or may not be true; we need valid arguments to decide.
>>
>argue like normal people

What, you mean taking all of 5 minutes to verge into hurling personal attacks at each other until the loudest person is able to shut the other person out by throwing around a bunch of non-sequiturs until they give up and leave the room?
>>
>>67783202
You are confusing the argument with the thesis.
>>
>>67784695
Oh my, it's literally the Americans that are the problem with the Internet, not logical fallacies. I doubt he even understood what you were trying to say. Like, if he couldn't understand three lines of text in >>67783907, I doubt he'll understand that.

Then there's this fella >>67784158, literally thinking this thread is about politics, which brings me to my next point
> reported
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.