[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Sarcasm Degenerate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Sarcasm.png~c200.png (51 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Sarcasm.png~c200.png
51 KB, 200x200
Is it? I mean, I personally loathe the use of sarcasm. Casual sarcasm used in a lighthearted and comical fashion seems OK. But I absolutely cannot stand when someone starts tossing around sarcasm as a distraction in a debate.

Thoughts?
>>
>>67757403

Yes. Sarcasm is nothing more than an expression of disrespect. It's low-brow, crass, and only a step or two above saying "fuck you" in response to a question.

It's absolutely disgusting that western women actually believe their sarcastic "sense of humor" is appealing. Whenever a woman touts sarcasm as a personality trait, this is a major RED FLAG.
>>
>>67757403
>itt americans cant take the bants
what is it with you people?
>>
I'm sorry sarcasm pisses people off so bad, as I'm a major offender.

But, I don't even attempt to be sarcastic, it's how I'm wired. Ex: If someone says something stupid, my brain doesn't say to itself, 'What a fucking idiot.' The thought I instead have IS sarcastic. 'Check out genius, over there.'
>>
>>67757403
No, sarcasm is greeaaat.
>>
>>67757403
sarcasm is insecurity turned to artificial strength
winners don't use it
>>
When your life is a joke you joke about every thing.
>>
>>67758611
Check out the genius over here
>>
Great thread OP, well done.
>>
>>67757403
Sarcasm has its time and place. Outside of that, it's very fucking degenerate and annoying.

>>67758611
Autismo
>>
>>67757872
>Whenever a woman touts sarcasm as a personality trait, this is a major RED FLAG.

Take notes, fellow anons.

>>67758515
That's not exactly what this is about.

>>67758717
>>67759480

That was pretty much my intuition of the matter. Well done, bros. Some solid responses in this thread so far.
>>
>>67757403
Yeah we should ban sarcasm, it requires too much thinking and reading comprehension, we should also ban any sort of jokes to avoid our respectful, serious and intelligent discussion in anonymous imageboards to be derailed by frivolities such as laughter.
>>
I generally like sarcasm and irony, but yeah, using it in a debate is fucking retarded, as are pretty much any sorts of theatrics and "epic zings". Debate time is tism time. You're supposed to sit there and express your point logically.
That is, you know, if you're really just having a debate, rather than a bantz loaded argument with your friends. But even in that kind of argument you can make your friend look like a real idiot if you calmly state your points while they're just trying to meme

Btw seeing "debate" as one of the most important things in your life TOTALLY doesn't make you sound like an autist, bro
>>
I really don't mind most uses of sarcasm. Everyone wants to be funny, but most people don't have the wit and lateral thinking it takes to be genuinely funny. So a lot of people use sarcasm as a crutch. And that's fine.

But what I hate for the life of me is this "WHAT DO YOU THINK!?" reaction when I ask for clarification on something. I ask people to clarify probably more than most people. Because I do not like making assumptions. An example being like if someone is dressed like they're about to go somewhere fancy or go to the gym. I might ask "Hey, are you going out to eat/going to the gym?" and the response "NAWW I'M JUST DRESSED LIKE THIS BECAUSE HERP DERP". Well fucking excuse me for asking a simple question and being friendly.

My biggest pet peeve.
>>
>>67757403
Yes, it's TOTALLY degenerate. I mean, it's not like people have used it since the dawn of the spoken word or anything. IN FACT, we should TOTALLY ban it from common discourse.

But seriously, if you wanted a Sarcastaball thread you could have just asked fampai
>>
>>67762474
People like that are the real autistic ones. They don't understand that you are just opening up a conversation about a topic. A proper response would be
" Yeah, I am going to the gym since blah blah".
>>
>>67762474
People mock your insecurity with it. Jesus this thread reveals so much about the autists of /pol/. How can you become so miserable and autistic that you percieve sarcasm so bad ? Either you lack the basic skills to detect and understand it or you are degenrate whiny sissies.
>>
>>67765001
You couldn't be more mistaken. Sarcasm has become the default mode of discussion for anything remotely significant or difficult because it allows people to conceal their own anxiety and protect their vulnerability.
>>
>>67765991
Some people use it this way but you are even more insecure when you arent able to detect these people and use this knowledge to your advantage. It is like a free pass to win a discussion or dismantle an idiot. If you can`t counter a discussion tactic as crude and primitive as this don`t cry about it but acknowledge your own incompetence.
>>
No, it's not 'degenerate' and if you keep using that word to mean 'things I don't like' then it will just become the /pol/ equivalent of the word 'problematic.'
>>
>>67757403
No, it's not. You're just frustrated because you're too stupid to defeat that form of rhetoric.

All rhetoric has a weakness. Better yourself, learn to win.
>>
>>67757403
Sarcasm (or, more generally, irony) is literally THE sign of the decline of civilization, according to this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giambattista_Vico

Relying on a complex etymology, Vico argues in the Scienza Nuova that civilization develops in a recurring cycle (ricorso) of three ages: the divine, the heroic, and the human. Each age exhibits distinct political and social features and can be characterized by master tropes or figures of language. The giganti of the divine age rely on metaphor to compare, and thus comprehend, human and natural phenomena. In the heroic age, metonymy and synecdoche support the development of feudal or monarchic institutions embodied by idealized figures. The final age is characterized by popular democracy and reflection via irony; in this epoch, the rise of rationality leads to barbarie della reflessione or barbarism of reflection, and civilization descends once more into the poetic era. Taken together, the recurring cycle of three ages – common to every nation – constitutes for Vico a storia ideale eterna or ideal eternal history. Therefore, it can be said that all history is the history of the rise and fall of civilizations, for which Vico provides evidence (up until, and including the Graeco-Roman historians).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Science#Cyclical_history_.28Corsi_e_ricorsi.29

Can't recommend this book enough, he even predicted Sweden/cuckoldry.
>>
Depends how subtle.
>>
My brother once dropped something and I sarcastically said well done before it hit the ground.

Proud day
>>
>tfw you yourself no longer know if you are being sarcastic or not

Sarcasm and irony as defense mechanisms are dangerous.
>>
>>67766200
Sarcasm is something that sort of necessitates knowing someone well. Otherwise it's likely they end up the butt of the joke. Unless you're an edgemaster, putting someone down is not what you want to accomplish.

Although if someone is extremely talented, they can pull off being charming and sarcastic around someone they don't know very well, it just takes a lot of social awareness and being able to read people very well.
>>
>>67757403
Its the brain damaged step brother of "comedy".
Funny for awhile but gets on your nerves very quickly unless its done subtle.
>>
>>67766473
No it doesn`t. Finer sarcasm maybe does but the crude sarcasm most people use is easy to detect. Conveniently these cruder sarcasm is also the one people use to hide their own insecurities. You don`t need to be an edgemaster to put someone down who uses sarcasm as a cheap ploy in a debate. If your are not a complete autist just point what they are doing and you achieved your goal of putting someone down in a charming way while simultaniously winning the debate.
>>
>>67757403
Humor in general is degenerate to be honest.
>>
>>67757403
That's pretty meta.
>Is this topic sarcasm or not? Is OP degenerate?
>>
>>67766777
Autism is degnerate. Jesus were all of you bullied in school ?
>>
ITT
>>
File: 1457246023600.jpg (80 KB, 599x607) Image search: [Google]
1457246023600.jpg
80 KB, 599x607
>>67767080
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.