[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Westerners barely ever learn non-European languages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 19
File: le yangnom face.jpg (7 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
le yangnom face.jpg
7 KB, 195x258
I mean I get it if you're just more interested in European culture or whatever but it's a bit ridiculous when you have people who've lived in a country for like a decade and barely can order a beer.

And then these geniuses wonder why they constantly get scammed and ripped off whether by women, governments, bosses etc.

Flag possibly related. I have met at this point many, many Westerners in this country who have been here for sometimes a decade or more and yet I don't know ANYONE who is getting close to the level of being able to read a newspaper or understand the TV news. And you know it used to be the case that these people would go home eventually, but they don't anymore! You have these bums in their 40s or 50s who are married to locals have been here for decades and still can barely speak or read Korean.

What the fuck /pol/, I will never make fun of gooks or immigrant nigger in the West ever again, at least most of them can have a basic conversation in the language of the country where they live, Jesus Christ
>>
File: 1449620677814.jpg (9 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
1449620677814.jpg
9 KB, 225x300
因为亚洲比欧洲的语言太困难给白人
>>
给白人的语洲比Touhou为为比欧洲

(>~.~)./
>>
File: 1457857646767.jpg (24 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
1457857646767.jpg
24 KB, 639x426
>>67639100

Niceu postu shill-san
>>
>>67639389
Is this actually even true, though?

Chinese grammar for example is piss-easy, no stupid verb conjugations like European languages.
>>
Give me some reasons to learn Mandarin or Korean and I will
>>
>>67639588
I'm more referring to people who are living in an Asian country and have been for years.
>>
>>67639100
>I have met at this point many, many Westerners in this country who have been here for sometimes a decade or more and yet I don't know ANYONE who is getting close to the level of being able to read a newspaper or understand the TV news

I'm guessing they're fucking autistic weeboos? like the worst plight on society next to niggers and kikes?
>>
>>67639100
Why does anybody learn anything other than English?
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 599x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 599x443
>>67639100
I'm pretty sure this is bait but whatever
You see anon we are from the west
so we are automatically more important that you gooks
Why would we bother to learn your stupid language when all we need to do to pull your woman is not be a ugly yellow chink
>>
No, and why the hell should I?
>>
>>67639588
so you can fuka those east asian babes and cuck the korean in this thread
>>
File: 1457820930744.jpg (97 KB, 468x342) Image search: [Google]
1457820930744.jpg
97 KB, 468x342
>>67639575
That part is definitely easy, but I think it's the tones that trip them up. IE 买 v.s.卖
>>
>>67639389
哈哈。我觉得你说的很好,但是你忘了一个东西。

>>67639506
>Touhou
>没写东方
前辈。。。
>>
>>67639100
Because we are more concerned with the language of our own Volk.
>>
>>67639100
Because non western languages don't matter to us. We don't care for moon runes.
>>
>>67639100
난 한국어 할 줄 좀 아는데
Lived there for 4 years, can barely hold a basic conversation.
>>
>>67639100

Yes because languages with 2000+ kanji or symbols is easy to learn compared to 26 letters put together in combination to make words.
>>
>>67639641
Well the main reason is because the west is king. You speak our language because we have the power. Most of us can't be fucked to bother learning to write or read your stupid moon runes.
>>
>>67639774
I don't want to spawn any Elliot Rodgers though. What about ladyboys, do Koreans have those?
>>
>>67639695

This.

We are the empire slant eye.
>>
>>67640014
that's thailand. although desu, any east asian could easily pull it off unlike us westerners who are loaded with testosterone
>>
>>67640108
>implying I am a local
>>
>>67640132
lol, mods are goin' crazy, I didn't type "desu"
>>
>>67640190
dat filter mang
>>
>>67640132
What is the language situation in Asia like? Like how many Koreans know Japanese or Mandarin? I know in Western Europe, Austrians, Swiss, etc. will have a good grasp of German oftentimes. Is it like that in Asia?
>>
>>67640190
The word filter has been up for months faggot. Tbh senpai
T b h
f a m
>>
Been here 6 months, honestly listening and pronunciation are very hard compared to other languages like Japanese. Also, there's no variety in your country. It's very dull and nationalist. K-image doesn't match up to what it's really like to live here. Seriously Koreans are like "this place is known for this/that" and it's all same same same. It's because of Cheobals. Lotteria is a godsend because the fermented food is shocking for us. Also, you got white people on advertising everywhere. You're so self-disliking, so why learn Korean language? I'll teach you English.
>>
>>67639100
>You have these bums in their 40s or 50s who are married to locals have been here for decades and still can barely speak or read Korean.

This has become more-or-less acceptable in the west. Maybe Koreans are following our lax cultural standards and making them feel too welcome.
>>
>>67640298
I doubt anyone would learn jap in east asia. everyone hates em except us <3

>>67640337
first time I triggered it D:
TRIGGERED
>>
>>67640298
A lot of Koreans are pretty tsundere for Japan actually, so more of them than you might think can speak and or read it. Dat imperial legacy. They used to even have a setting to type Japanese as part of the Korean IME back in the Windows 95 days, lol

But very few Chinese know any other language, same for Japanese

A fair few Koreans have decent-ish English, but still not that many on the whole
>>
>>67640442
I remember the japs forced you goys to learn japanese when they ruled you. how does that make you feel? cucked?
now ya'll are forced to be bros cuz the US practically owns you both
>>
I know 한국어 and a little 日本語 from high school. Asian languages are easy for me to pick up but I suck at European ones...
>>
File: 1457422482704.jpg (70 KB, 875x720) Image search: [Google]
1457422482704.jpg
70 KB, 875x720
>>67639100
When you build the largest empire in history I will certainly look into learning Korean.
>>
>>67640356
But that's the thing that wierds me out, they're not making them feel too comfortable. In fact, Koreans could rarely be accused of ever making anyone feel comfortable ever.

You have people living here for decades... while hating it and feeling horribly ostracized and isolated. To be fair, even after learning the language I still feel that way kinda, but at least I can do shit like a normal person and don't feel like a retard
>>
>>67640507
random: I remember my gpaw telling a story when he was in japan a bit after WWII or so.
>In truck, backing up, with japanese "copilot" or whatever
>Sees someone behind
>stops
>japanese like "no no don't stop, he korean"
yohoho
>>
>>67640507
Stop calling me a Korean plz
>>
>european culture

You mean islam?
>>
>>67640587
Greater Christian East Asian. How about that
>>
>>67639100
Same shit going on here. Not Japanese, an American working/studying here. Holy fuck, so many idiots I have encountered who don't even attempt to learn the basics of the language and get lost like fucktards in the stations because they can't ask or understand simple directions to get them to their destination.

Fucky thing is. I consider myself shit at Japanese, but holy fuck most of these westerners that work/school here are a bit of an embarrassment. Majority don't study cultural etiquette and such and end up making fools of themselves and coming off as rude. And they wonder why people get frustrated with them lol.

It's pathetic how lazy my own people can be :/ Also, Brits/Aussies are the fucking worse holy fuck. I learned my lesson, always have to properly evaluate a person before agreeing going into public with them lmao.
>>
>>67640634
I'm not yellow though
>>
American here, studied nip for around 4 years and have lived here for 1.5 and am pretty fluent. Way back when I was thinking I wanted to learn Korean since its grammar is similar to Japanese but fuck learning gook languages, I want to learn French next. French people are so much fun to party with.
>>
>>67640657
you sure that's not the japanese view of the french rubbing off on you?
They get to france and have like serious issues
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
>>
>>67640565
That sounds exactly like our immigrants, always complaining about racism and being marginalised. It's just how immigration works
>>
>>67639641

Those people are weeaboo degenerates, it's your country's fault for taking them in.
>>
>>67640657
So many French people in Tokyo too! Do it! Also, in regards to my last comment. Americans surprisingly aren't as fucktard as i expected. I expected so much worse my my own countrymen haha...
>>
>>67640717
Nah, I met several French students while studying here and all of them are super fun. I'm sure Paris is nice (or at least was before mudslimes invaded) but I would rather learn the language for the people as opposed to the locale. French people are actually very friendly and funny, Asians are generally pretty cold. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and I have made some great Japanese/Korean friends, but from a general viewpoint.
>>67640646
Which prefecture are you studying in?
>>
>>67639506
die weaboo
>>
>>67640777
Wouldn't real weeaboos be good at learning moonrunes though? Would make playing visual novels and reading incest manga and shit more fun
>>
>>67640717
If anything I'd guess it's his interaction with French expats/tourists in Japan, since there's a fuckload of them there.

Honestly if you're learning a language to hang out with a fun crowd I'd learn Italian. Now these guys know how to have a good time.
>>
>>67640777

Wouldn't real weeaboos be good at learning moonrunes though? Would make playing visual novels and reading incest manga and all that weird shit they love more fun
>>
>>67640823
yeah that's a cultural thing. Think a book explained one facet of it as like compartmentalizing everything. Also xenophobes

anyway, did the french smoke? My guess is yes. Addicts yo
>>
>>67639100
Are you fucking kidding me, you are engaging in confirmation bias.

The same story is everywhere. I have neighbours who have been living here their entire lives and don't speak a word of Slovene.

We learn English in schools, some of these foreigners do as well, it's a lot easier to move to the US and speak English than to move to Korean and learn Korean.

Now I'm of the opinion that you should learn the language of the country you live in, but you presenting it as a westerner thing is fucking bullshit, there are soo many Asians who don't care to learn the language.

It's not a fucking Westerner or Asian or Middle East thing, a lot of people do it.

Get out of your ass.
>>
>>67639791
Even if you suck at tones, context helps people understand your meaning in Mandarin most of the time. And with enough practice, you learn how the most common words are pronounced anyway eventually.

I'm still convinced that overall Chinese is easier than most European languages
>>
The rest of the world fucking blows and American English is the greatest language on earth. Why fucking bother.
>>
>>67639100
俺、東アジア言語を勉強してる。でもさ、正直、全然上達する気がない。エロゲーぐらいは読めるけど、それ以上はね…
あまり自信がないけど、今年、N2を受験する予定です。
>>
>>67641138
yeah I was told, with japanese, even if we get the tone wrong, the natives will understand
although probably laugh a bit still
>>
>>67641224
>Japanese
>tones

wut
>>
>>67639641
There are people living in my country who haven't learned the language.

This happens EVERYWHERE.

Safe for the English speaking countries, where most can speak English at the very basic level.

It's the nature of not being a global language like English.

I doubt you'll read this, but the sentiment here in Slovenia is the same, Americans are ignorant they don't bother to learn the language if they are here for an extended period of time.

It's not a Westerner thing.
>>
>>67639100
Because European languages are almost all based off the same alphabet, and have roots in either the germanic or romantic language groups. This makes it MUCH easier to learn a different European language than a, say, asian language. Unless you're planning to live there, or work/aspire to work as a bigwig in an international corporation there's also very little reason to do it for most people.

And you're not much better, god damn. I've been following Starcraft 2 for 6 years now, and the top Korean players who make most of their bank outside Korea still need translators to get through basic interview that basically amount to "Please cheer for me and I will provide good games."
>>
>>67640995
All of them smoke. I smoke too so it's not too bad (actually, my French friend gifted me a really nice mouth fedora that I use now so no more stinky cigarette smoke)

It is a cultural difference and I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, I just prefer the warmer personalities of Europeans/Americans.
>>
>>67640851
>>67640911

They're all real weeaboos, there's just a difference in intelligence.

The weeaboos who are smart learn the language, the dumb weeaboos just scream """cute""" phrases at you.
>>
>>67640823
I study right in Tokyo prefecture lol. Chiyoda specifically
>>
>>67641299
no idea man, a jap taught us
one example was pantsu. of course in the class we used it as pants, but it could also mean... panties

maybe he was just pulling my leg. I dunno, I'm not a pro
>>
>>67641428
Ah, Tokyo? You probably deal with foreigners worse than I do since I study/work in Nara. Every time I visit Tokyo I am shocked by the number of embarrassing asshole Australians.
>>
>>67641375
ah, but americans are different in comparison to yuropeans as well though
like, we're loud and obnoxious, right??

but yeah, I figured about the smoking. all the french people I've met smoke
>>
What's the most lucrative and useful moonrunes to learn? I am tempted to pick up nip but I figure so many weebs learn it there's less of a demand.
>>
>>67641138
Chinese is possibly easier to learn if you speak say, Korean or Japanese.

Although these languages are very different, there are SOME similarities, right?

The same with European languages, if you are European you'll have an easier time learning European languages.

More specifically if you know a Slavic language you'll have an even easier time learning another Slavic language, etc etc.
>>
>>67641519
>Australians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyB9wQocnM
>>
>>67641580
pretty sure the language itself is completely different than most languages (talking about Japanese)
just the writing system, in that it uses the Chinese characters is where it'd be similar
>>
>>67641544
Honestly Korean is probably a good choice

Korea was basically off the radar until like 5 years ago, so there are less non-Koreans fluent in their language than you might think.

Also, South Korea's economy is still doing relatively OK, so there are fair opportunities in jobs to do with trade with Korea

Not to mention that because of North Korea, there's also a use for Korean in diplomatic/intelligence circles
>>
>>67641519
If i stick to just class and work, not too much. But if i dare step out to the more tourist areas like Shinjuku/Ikebukuro, you're pretty much garunteed to see a foreigner doing something stupid/embarrassing :/
>>
>>67641544
The world is bigger than 4chan, dude. There's plenty of normies/business people who learn Mandarin; I can tell you that at my university there are MORE mandarin students than Jap students for that very reason. [And yes, Israeli weebs exist]

The consensus seems to be that Mandarin would be most useful, Japanese is more for a personal liking of the country [but there's job opportunities there, that market is far from oversaturated with foreigners]

Korean would be the more niche one that still has plenty of job opportunities, so maybe you should go for that one.
>>
>>67641706
korean live-action movies are the best of east asia, but the Japs are one of the US' biggest allies
although lots of weebs out there learn japanese, so maybe it would indeed be Korean to learn

that untranslated manga tho
>>
>>67639100
If they live in an Asian country and refuse to learn the language then they are being rude and you should call them out on it.
>>
>>67641836
w-what if a mexican comes to the US and doesn't learn the majority language?
albeit the US doesn't have an official language
so how about Canada in which the officials are English and French?
>>
>>67641612
worse mistake of my life when i first got here was agreeing to get lunch with an aussie girl i met...
>>
File: 1456182039740.jpg (10 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1456182039740.jpg
10 KB, 300x250
Everyone speaks English nowadays, why even bother ? I'm trying to learn Chinese but at the end of the day it's useless, plus the amount of work required is way too much for the average joe.
>>
>>67639100

mei bola sakta hu. paneer mujhe pasand hei
>>
>>67641893
its rightful mexican clay, they can speak whatever they want
>>
>>67639100

probably because everyone speaks english lmao

you had to learn english to use this website for example
>>
>>67641318
You have a point, but I think that not learning the local language and living in an Asian country long-term is more isolating and alienating than doing the same in a white nation especially as a white person

They're more cautious and timid by nature, so you have to break the ice more to feel like you can socialize with them, also Asian countries are really self-absorbed so you just are more likely to feel alienated, period, also you are a racial alien so people will naturally feel more distance.

I guess if you are tight-knit with other expats it could be OK but let's face it most aging expats in Asia long-term are not having a good time and their self-imposed alienation is a big part of it
>>
>>67641950
BUILD WALL
U
I
L
D

W
A
L
L
>>
>>67641893
They are probably illegal since you need to speak English to get citizenship or residency.
>>
>>67641375
>mouth fedora

What?
>>
>>67639100
>>67640646

You must be those same people that post retard comments on youtube video's of people eating some oriental delicious chickennoodles in korea/japan. While everybody praises the good food there is always some butthurt weirdo making passive aggressive comments on correct finger-placement while holding chopsticks.

It is actually very degrading that you think you have to speak for a whole country because you assume they can't do it themselves.
>>
File: 1457931424028.gif (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457931424028.gif
22 KB, 300x300
我会说一点普通话和我的阴茎很好
>>
0 reason to learn.. but if i moved to korea it would be cheeky not to learn ur language
>>
>>67642123
>implying I'm speaking for anyone other than myself

I'm not trying to defend the honour of Kimchiland here or anything, just puzzling over why you have people living in a place for decades and making their lives miserable for seemingly no good reason

This is a social phenomenon and one worth discussing I think
>>
>>67641706
Are you a native Korean or a Westerner living there? What languages did you speak and when did you learn them?
>>
>>67641959
Look, I agree a 100%. Also on the part that it's a bigger problem in a country like South Korea. It is compounded by the fact that not every speaks English fluently as they might in a non-English European country.

You'd be hard pressed to find a young person here in Slovenia that isn't fluent in English.

Regardless of that, if you live somewhere you should respect the local culture enough to learn the language.

All I wanted to drive across is that it's not a unique thing you are experiencing in South Korea. We experience the same thing with, white people, asian people, black people whatever.

From my experience it's not a racial thing. The thing is though that you probably don't experience many Middle Eastern or African immigrants, and trust me. They are much worse.

If you dislike the whities moving into your country, you'll be surprised when those people start moving in, because you'll have an even harder time assimilating them into the culture.
>>
>>67639100
I know an Australian who doesn't even know the name of his kids. He told me "they have Korean names, I can't remember Korean names" ... I was so shocked!
Too many 쓰레기 in itaewon..
>>
>>67641899
That mentality is how idiots in Tokyo keep coming up. "Everyone speaks english, all the signs are in english, you can navigate the city with no language skills", don't be one of those idiots pplleeeezzzzzzzz
>>
File: YlLF8.jpg (82 KB, 428x296) Image search: [Google]
YlLF8.jpg
82 KB, 428x296
>>67642191
ng po thalak dalang
>>
>>67642406
That's hilarious.

He should come up with "English names" for his children so that he can at least tell them apart.
>>
>>67639100
I don't believe in learning anyone else's language.

If you don't speak English, what the fuck do we have to talk about?

If you think you have something to say to me, (I doubt this) you should speak my language, not expect me to learn yours.
>>
الله أكبر
>>
>>67642525
>>67642525
Zaldrizes bozdari iksos daor
>>
>>67642406
>>67642473
My Cousin married a Korean Girl after he went there to teach English. Fucking train wreck of a marriage and now he doesn't even get to see his kids lmao.
>>
>>67642622
So what's it like learning Norwegian? :^) Such a beautiful and exotic-looking script they use for their language...
>>
>>67642525
it has scientifically proven benefits and strong correlation with higher income etc.. personal development if you wish.

http://bebrainfit.com/brain-benefits-learning-second-language/

also it's cool to have more authentic conversations with people if you're travelling outside of english-speaking countries
>>
>>67642659
Normies man.

Let me guess, she was the first girl who rode his dick after he came here and he got married after like a year or two because >muh lurv and >I think she's the one guise
>>
>>67642123
Hey look, this guy knows exactly who I am and what kinds of things i post on Youtube! Actually, he even knows that i DO post on there! Wow! Get out of fuccboi netherlands for once and maybe youll see what we're talking about lmao.
>>
>>67642703

Arab-Norwegian is indeed a beautiful language-
>>
Any other JLPT fags here? Got my N3 certificate the other day. What level are you guys at? Any tips on studying for N2 and N1?
>>
File: 1348766260381.png (24 KB, 504x566) Image search: [Google]
1348766260381.png
24 KB, 504x566
>>67642471
Mm goy
>>
>>67642878
/trv/ probabaly much better for a serious answer o/
>>
>>67642822
something like that, she was pretty an wanted to travel to Australia that should have been his first red flag.
>>
>>67642942
there's a dedicated 'learning japanese' thread on /a/
>>
>>67642878
Korean TOPIK 5 going for TOPIK 6 here, but anyway my advice is more input, more input and more input.

Also, shun anime, TV dramas and all that bullshit, read newspapers and newsmagazines, also watch TV news and current affairs a lot, gets your comprehension of advanced vocabulary and grammar up.
>>
>>67642995
Or that haha!
>>
>>67642878
JLPT 1. Memrise for kanji.
>>
File: 1456873457508.jpg (49 KB, 500x472) Image search: [Google]
1456873457508.jpg
49 KB, 500x472
CHING CHONG CHINAMAN HAD TO MILK A COW

CHING CHONG CHINAMAN DIDN'T KNOW HOW

CHING CHONG CHINAMAN PULLED THE WRONG TIT

CHING CHONG CHINAMAN COVERED IN SHIT!
>>
>>67643148
How is there a "wrong tit"?

Or is that the point and this is just typical Australian shitposting

That, or being around Asians all the time is killing my sense of humour and/or comprehension of written English
>>
>>67642119
Edgy name for a vape
>>
>>67643037
I got drunk with some JAXA businessmen that were at this bar I went to. I got shitfaced and talked with one of the guys who knew English pretty well. He was in his 50s and really liked AKB-48. We took a selfie together and he showed me pictures of his daughter in a kimono. I asked him if he liked Rei or Asuka more and he said Rei. We talked about niconico and I asked him about female only trains and chikan. I was drunk, that's my excuse for going full autism.
>>
>>67643307
>I asked him about female only trains and chikan

lul
>>
>>67643256
I'm just a second-rate shitposter from second-rate Australia
>>
File: image.png (369 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
image.png
369 KB, 640x472
>tfw shit tier N5 japanese
>tfw being shipped off to sunrise land to study abroad next year
>>
>>67640587
Okay gook
>>
>>67643307
Yea but mate, that's pretty normal, even for Japanese. Some people go full blown obnoxious in public and get angry/frustrated when no one speaks english lol. You were just having a good time. Trust me, it's all normal getting boozed up lol
>>
>>67639100
I learned how to sing Gee.
>>
>>67643015
I'm really having trouble with the advanced grammar. I'm 3/4 through Core6k, but I keep forgetting words related to work/politics that are pretty important. I guess reading newspapers would really help with that.

>>67643077
Is that any good? Might give it a try, but I'm not really having problems with Kanji (I just use Anki).
>>
>>67640654
Ohh okay then, lying gook
>>
File: 1457791637697.jpg (36 KB, 909x528) Image search: [Google]
1457791637697.jpg
36 KB, 909x528
>tfw lost a job position because I didn't speak mandarin.
>>
>>67643498
Yeah he was pretty awesome, honestly. He said he had a literal bathtub's worth of manga at his house. He loved Naruto a lot, that was his favorite manga. He also said the last anime he watched was the original astroboy and gundam. Based random JAXA bro.
>>
>>67642942
There should totally be a board dedicated to language studying.

>>67642995
Yeah, no. I'll stay as far away from /a/ as possible. Not spending one more second in that shithole.
>>
File: 1457546277143.jpg (74 KB, 330x503) Image search: [Google]
1457546277143.jpg
74 KB, 330x503
>>67639100
>there are people on this planet who can only understand one language
>>
>>67643673
The learning japanese thread is actually very helpful and mostly absent of normal /a/ autism.
>>
>>67639100
In the UK a large amount of immigrants speak no English. The Chinese are some of the worst for it followed by the various Muslim groups.
>>
>>67639100
because it's difficult.
In Germany you learn English (mandatory) and you have the choice between Spanish and French (at least I think that's the case in most schools). I learned Latin, then English, later French (Latin is offered at so called "classical, humanist Gymnasiums").
East Asian languages are completely different from european languages, which makes them hard to learn, I think. Most people will find English useful at one point in their life, but very few even visit East Asia let alone live there.
>>
>>67643673
A very good idea, I'm tard on 4chan though and have no clue how to make things like this happen though
>>
File: 1456434202752.png (681 KB, 641x640) Image search: [Google]
1456434202752.png
681 KB, 641x640
>>67639100
>Why do Westerners barely ever learn non-European languages?
Everybody learns English alongside their native language, starting when they're very young. Native English speakers start learning foreign languages later, and if they immerse themselves in a foreign country, have to struggle to get people to speak in a language other than English. When non-English speakers are impatient, they speak to you in English. You keep speaking to them in their language, and they laugh and keep speaking to you in English.

tl;dr

Foreigners troll English speakers. It won't change until China becomes the hub of the world economy, and every English speaking country feels anxiety about children growing up without fluent Chinese skills.
>>
>>67640823
>French people are actually very friendly and funny
He means we can drink something stronger than beer and not going into coma. Looking at you ameribeers.
>>
>>67643524
Honestly it works, think about it, practice makes perfect, so if you wanna be able to read and listen to high level moon the obvious way to do it is by, well, doing.

Japanese does have the whole Chinese character thing, but again, just practice by doing, set aside like an hour a day for writing moon glyphs, there is no shortcut to any of this shit, just practice by doing, write moonrunes, listen to moon broadcasts, read moon books and periodicals about the content you want to be able to understand, repeat over and over until it sticks

Also this is a bit controversial but in my experience actually talking to gooks is overrated, mainly because in regular conversation you will almost never practice the shit you need to understand or produce to actually be good

And the people who actually could in theory talk to you about politics or business or science or whatever the fuck are too busy to babysit whitey

You could hire a tutor or something for that shit, but honestly that's probably not worth doing until you're at least at the second-highest level of whatever language you're learning

So many fags who can barely string a sentence together waste their money on tutors, their time on language exchange, and both on bullshit classes where you're only actually using the language like 20% of the time when you could do the same shit at home and more productively

The only way to the other side is through it
>>
>>67643498
the waifus m8 what about the waifus
>>
>>67643945
EVERYONE learns english BAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok pal
>>
>>67639100
writing characters sucks balls.
>>
>>67644009
uhhh idk, i work and do school so much i don't have time for waifus and spend my freetime at night on 4chin blowing off steam lmao
>>
>>67643945
Also this, foreigners always default into English as soon as you start speaking to them in their language.

>why don't you speak our language? xD
>Never let you speak it
Fucking foreigners.
>>
>>67644129
I speak english to the Bongs because I don't like hearing them torturing my language.
>>
>>67644187
You all destroy our language but you don't see us being rude about it.
>>
>>67643810
I guess, but I try to stay away from 4chan for anything productive. There's just too much distraction. I only come here in the time I intend to spend relaxing.
Japanese Stackexchange is pretty decent for questions I think. Also lang8 is cool. Met a couple nice Japanese people there to talk with on skype. They're all shy as fuck though.
>>
>>67644246
Everyone's doing it so it's fine
>>
>>67644129
That just makes it all the more satisfying when you finally get a language advantage over them.
>>
>>67644359
Shouldn't you guys be used to foreigners trying to speak your language (badly)? What with all that imperial history aren't there millions of niggers and gooks that speak pidgin French right?
>>
>>67644058
>can't detect rhetorical hyperbole
Except you.
>>
>>67644361
It is not worth the effort to try to learn it to that level. You will never get to use it.

>>67644359
Do you enjoy hearing the Africans and Arabs speak French?
>>
Maybe fix your relationship with North Korea before you complain about your western guests.
>>
>>67643693
> people who can only understand one language
the majority of the planet, my sheltered Finnish friend
>>
>>67644455
>What with all that imperial history aren't there millions of niggers and gooks that speak pidgin French right?
Honestly no. Africans who gets to France quickly learn proper French. Sure they have a bit of an accent and are often more vulgar but that's no different than being "gansta" in the US. Actually I think Ebonics is worse.

Arabs speak French pretty normaly. Frigging Canadians are much harder to understand.
>>
>>67644314
>>>/a/djt

Just bookmark that URL and go there, maybe maintain some self-control and try to keep yourself from clicking on other boards or going into other threads. The DJT thread is populated not just by /a/nons, but users who frequent pretty much all different boards, and probably some people who exclusively come to 4chan just for those DJT threads. There's a lot of resources and people generally are nice if you have questions.
>>
>>67643951
>Honestly it works, think about it, practice makes perfect, so if you wanna be able to read and listen to high level moon the obvious way to do it is by, well, doing.
Agree 100%. Currently, I spend most of my time actually memorizing Kanji (in context of words) with the stroke order. Just writing away every day for an hour. It's really relaxing and really feels like I'm making progress. I can look back on 100s of pages of Kanji/Jukugo and laugh at how horrible they looked just a year ago.
>>
>>67644493
>It is not worth the effort to try to learn it to that level. You will never get to use it.

This is a thing a lot of people say, but it doesn't seem to be true. Korean is one of the lforeign anguages most in demand, both in the public sector and for business. Saying that "it's too hard" is not a good argument; learning ANY language to fluency is difficult.

And generally, the easier a language is to learn, the more people speak it fluently and the less rare and valuable it is as a skill. For example, if you try to get a job on the basis of speaking fluent Spanish or Afrikaans in addition to your native English, there is practically a horde of people competing with you. Not so with Asian languages, especially if you get really good.
>>
>>67644508
>fixing relationship with norks

The only way that is going to happen is if a nuke goes off in norkland
>>
>>67644605
I don't know, man. I still see quite some autism/anime. Don't get me wrong, that's totally okay, but I like to keep my study envorinment clean if that makes sense. I'm really easily distracted.
>>
>>67644703
Oh not to mention that native speakers of say, Spanish or Afrikaans can also learn English relatively easily themselves. Which means that there is less demand for even basic communicative ability in these languages since more of them can speak English, and often very well.

On the other hand, there are 58904859340853490 gooks that are basically unintelligible in the white man's lingo. Being able to communicate with them is therefore something useful again both in the public and private sectors.

Basically yes Asian languages are harder because they are different, but this is precisely the reason they are useful; there's more of a language gap to be overcome.
>>
>>67644703
Once again, you will never get to use it. In case you did not notice Koreans are not exactly a massive world power which you just run into all the time. The only reason it is useful for you is because you are in Korea.
>>
>>67639100
White is the superior race and English the superior language, there's no need to learn/be anything else when you are at the top.
>>
All non-European languages are objectively bad in literally every way and you are a full-blown cuck if you learn a nonwhite language, especially Mandarin.

There's no practical reason to learn a language other than English but there's plenty of reasons to learn non-English European languages. There's no reason to learn mongoloid tongues other than full blown cuckery and special snowflake disorder.
>>
>>67645166
>All non-European languages are objectively bad in literally every way

How would you know? Unless you are one of said cucks who have studied and are familiar with them.
>>
>>67639100
It's a waste of time.
>>
>>67644979
You can enable an option in 4chanx called 'work tyme' where images are hidden by default, turning 4chan into a textboard basically. There's probably some firefox and chrome apps that allow you to disable/enable image files being displayed.
>>
>>67639100
>be white guy who lives in america his whole life
>see foreigners immigrate to the midwest who make no attempt to learn english, the language everything is done in
>our Secretary of State/Department of Motor Vehicles have tests for non-english speakers in their language of choice, despite ALL traffic and street signs being english only
>have friends who's family from western europe have lived in the US for decades and they've refused to learn english, only speak in bulgoslavian

Fuck you, it goes both ways OP
>>
>>67645291
>if you've never fucked a child you can't be against pedophilia

try again manlet
>>
File: 1447803440716.jpg (319 KB, 1500x2118) Image search: [Google]
1447803440716.jpg
319 KB, 1500x2118
>>67645681
Will give it a try. Thanks.
>>
>>67639100
Sprachbund. Language unions.
Western European sprachbund languages are very alike, except the Basque. Italian and German are marginal, but English, French, Spanish and Portuguese are very akin to each other when compared to other regions.
Add their world-spanning colonial empires, insane volume of content on those languages and prestige, and you've got it. Plus "Western union" languages frequently translate each other with less content lost in translation.
So knowing English opens half the world, adding French or Spanish adds the other third.
My position as a Slav that knows English and Spanish allows me to get virtually anything if not some really obscure shit from China or Korea.
And Russian has the best European school of Eastern languages and translations.
So if something from Asia isn't translated into Russia or at least English, it doesn't worth the paper it's printed on anyway.
>>
File: europeanworld.jpg (148 KB, 1760x796) Image search: [Google]
europeanworld.jpg
148 KB, 1760x796
>>67639100
>Why do Westerners barely ever learn non-European languages?
Because pic related.

We dont need to learn non-European languages. Ours are all over the world and it will stays like that until the end of times.
>>
>>67639100
Because Spanish, Russian and English are pretty much all the languages you need in the world.
Granted, you should learn the language of the country you are living in, unless it's just living in there for a business trip.
>>
>>67639100
I get what you mean, most of the time Westerners will also form enclave like areas surrounded by English speakers or whatever their native language is.

I've done it I did it in the 80s in Hong Kong, although I learned the local language, after my boss taught me over 3 years.
>>
>>67639100
That topic name is quite misleading.

If the question is why do Westerners in Europe learn no Eastern languages, the answer is we don't give a fuck about your country. Once you live there, however, or just like to visit, it's essential to learn! I learned Italian for a month before going to Rome.
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.