[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Americans: What side did your family fight on? what side would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13
File: big1grass25.jpg (51 KB, 460x319) Image search: [Google]
big1grass25.jpg
51 KB, 460x319
Americans: What side did your family fight on?
what side would YOU fight on?
>>
>>67566224

I would fight for Dixie Land though I'm not American, also yankees smell, also there's no point in dividing the white race at such a crucial point.
>>
Alabama since the 1820s, so the south.
>>
Confederate.

We're from North Mexico and South Texas. I had grandfathers and uncles from then who fought the Union armies sweeping South Texas from the Big Bend Area.
>>
File: dixie.jpg (452 KB, 1760x1230) Image search: [Google]
dixie.jpg
452 KB, 1760x1230
>>67566224
my family fought for the Based South and would do so again
>>
>>67566224

Confederate.

Confederate.
>>
>>67566725
Oh, almost forgot.

I'd fight for the Union.

Traitors get out
>>
File: 1457074745653.png (68 KB, 1694x586) Image search: [Google]
1457074745653.png
68 KB, 1694x586
Most of my ancestors fought in Alabama regiments, and one fought in a New York Regiment.

I would have fought for the South.

GOD SAVE THE SOUTH
>>
>>67566224
MY family wasn't in the States yet, but I would probably fight for the Confederacy
>>
>>67566224
My Great Grandfather shot and killed Stonewall Jackson accidentally
>>
>>67566224
I probably would have been too young to fight, at the time.
>>
File: 377750.jpg (3 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
377750.jpg
3 MB, 3000x2250
>>67566224
I have two descendants from my mom's side and dad's side each that fought for their families livelihood against the invading union army under that tyrant bastard lincoln.
>>
>>67566224
Family fought for the south
I would fight for the south
>>
>>67566224
South. Most of my family are late 18th or early 19th immigrants from places like France or Germany. Part of my family is from North Carolina and did own slaves.
>>
I have one line that came from New York, and another that came from Massachusetts. So probably Union.
>>
>>67566224
My mother's ancestors were slave owning Virginian. That's why I'm 1.6% dindu
>>
My family came from a border state

My great-something grandfather joined the Confederacy, his brother joined the union.

Id fight for Dixie
>>
File: 1448676988510.png (1 MB, 884x642) Image search: [Google]
1448676988510.png
1 MB, 884x642
>>67566940
an interesting fact I should have mentioned. One of my grandfathers in an Alabama regiment was facing another one of my grandfathers in a New York Regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg on the flank of Little Round Top. They both survived the war.
>>
>>67567896
>1.6% dindu
that's not even possible unless they were one of the first slaves
>>
I'm here in Ohio and I've only been to the south now and again (if you don't count Kentucky). However I do think that our Southern brothers have a distinct culture, traditions, dialect and could definitely be their own country, but would that be best for America? How in a world would a Union/Confederacy get along after the war if the Confederacy survived? How would future wars work out? WW1/2, Vietnam, War on Terror, etc. Trade, travel between the 2 nations?
>>
>implying my family was here for the civil war
>>
>>67566224

2 GGGGranduncles, 20th NC:
DOW - Sharpsville
KIA - Chancellorsville

Back then, I'd make the same decision they did.
>>
File: 1456982691326.jpg (66 KB, 477x539) Image search: [Google]
1456982691326.jpg
66 KB, 477x539
>>67566224
guy I my family fought for the rebels. F for respect.
>>
My entire family on my dad's side waged war for Dixie
My mom's side are all ohiofags but most of them were farmers so they couldn't be forced into service, did have a great great great grandfather who was a colonel for the Union though and died at Antietam
>>
>>67566224
My family didn't get off the boat until 1885.
:3
>>
I have family that fought on both sides... I'm directly related to an ancestor who fought with the 119th N.Y. Infinity, and indirectly related threw a cousin, Confederates from Virginia
>>
>>67566224
Texas, Confederacy, and confederacy.
I bet it was nice back when Oklahoma was our greatest ally.
>>
>>67566818
It's funny because The Bonnie Blue was a Florida flag before anything else yet the Texasfags are the ones who always scream about it
>>
>>67566725
Really had me going there
>>67566842
Yes, get out.
>>
My ancestor rounded up what Northerners there were in Tennessee and formed a platoon. He did a lot of cool stuff; sustained almost no losses throughout the war and avoided killing quite a bit; I think he captured something like 99 enemy combatants with a force much smaller. I have a copy of a book that has his letters and stuff in it, maybe I should upload it somewhere.
>>
>>67566224
My family was still in Europe back then. I think some of them were in Canada too.
>>
>>67566224
Family is north confirmed. My grandad has one of our ancestor's: hat, honorable discharge, and sabre mounted on the wall.

Me honestly Id've fought for the north as well. The south would have just become another economic power to contend with.
>>
>>67566224
My family immigrated to the US in 1940 to escape Mussolini so none.
>>
>>67566842
>traitors
is there anything more american than seceding
i think fucking not senpai
>>
>>67567465
Meant to say 19th and 20th.
>>
Both sides, Ohio and Indiana for the north and Arkansas for the south. I would have been in the north, but I'd much prefer to not be involved in napoleonic tactics and watch my son die after getting consumption like my ancestor did.
>>
>>67566224
None of my 19th century ancestors fought in the Civil War.

>mom's side
Old money Yankee "Why fight when you can pay the Irish to fight for you?" style aristocrats.
>dad's side
Pioneers/hicks living in the wilderness, too busy making moonshine and cousin-fucking to come down from the hills and join the war.

And I live in Missouri, so I'd just dick around on the periphery of the conflict and sell overpriced provisions to both sides.
>>
File: 1456016682959.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
1456016682959.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>67566224
My ancestors fought for the freedom of everybody ( north/ union) and would so gladly do so again. So I believe I'm on the right side.
>>
>>67568897
The only 5 Texas flags are/were
Current Republic/state flag
Alamo Revolution flag(Mexican flag with centerpiece replaced with the year 1836)
Mexican flag
Spanish flag+New Spanish flag
Pueblo nations
>>
>>67566224
Both sides of family came in around the 30's-40's so neither, but both settled north so, I guess north had they been there around then
[spoiler]They would have been on opposite sides of WWII had they stayed though[/spoiler]
>>
>>67566224
Great-great etc. uncle was Jefferson Davis, dad side was still in Italy.
>>
>>67566224
The union, I like there uniforms better and I don't wanna hang out with a bunch of hicks from down south

Plus slavery would have been ended anyways even if the south did win
>>
Family was a captain in the Union army.

Would gladly blow you Confederate fucks out again.
>>
I actually have no idea about half my families history as my mom was adopted, but she is English so probably has old blood here. My dads side is pretty recent from Germany and Sweden.

I would have fought for the Confederates, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvBCnHPM4Y
>>
Probably union.

Confederate for sure.
>>
both. union. i detest pre-modern slavery ;)
>>
Mixed ancestry including the cousins. Union and Confederate.
>>
>tfw don't know hw far my family history goes back at all

how do you find out this shit?
>>
They fought for the union in an Irish regiment

I'd fight for the union. The last thing we need is more division within North America as it is with Canada and America today. It should all be united.
>>
>tfw no modern wars to fight for
>tfw we will never form a coalition with Russia and purge ISIS

If shit don't pop off I'm not reenlisting
>>
both

im not sure. i would be against slavery but also against the union using military force to keep britain in the EU
>>
>>67566224
Confederacy.

Great Grandfather x 5 died in a Union Prison Camp.
>>
File: AngryCivilPEEEPEE.jpg (81 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
AngryCivilPEEEPEE.jpg
81 KB, 900x900
>>67566224
My ancestors fought for the Union and I would too
>REBELS GET OUT REEEEE
>>
>>67572296
we're trying to
>>
>>67567037

Keep the booger hook off the fucking bang switch next time then, genius.
>>
Since I'm Canadian, I would have fought for the Confederates.
>>
>>67569879
>My ancestors fought for the freedom of everybody
You are a fucking moron
>>
>>67566224
North and south. I'm named after my great-*-grandfather, who killed my great-*-uncle.
>>
Unfortunately mostly Union due to Kentucky. Some in pro-Southern militias though.
>>
>>67566224
My ancestors were too busy fighting the Japanese. I would have fought for the North in those days, but if this goes down again I'll fight for the South.
>>
Mostly rebel, but some northern.

Would fight for Dixie
>>
>>67566224
Union. Hail the North! But as far as I know all my ancestors came from Europe in the mid and late 1800's, so to my knowledge I never had any ancestors who fought in the American Civil War.
>>
>>67566224
Both sides, I know for a fact mothers side was CSA, but I think one of dads side was a yank, rest were CSA.
>>
File: Flag-2.jpg (35 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
Flag-2.jpg
35 KB, 400x274
>>67566224
Ironically enough one of my direct ancestors was one of the founders of the Republican Party of Virginia, and one of Lincolns main campaigners in the state.

He served in the Army of Northern Virginia, was wounded in battle and given a medical discharge. Back at home he served in the home guard and fought raiders from Kentucky through the end of the war.

Confederate and Confederate.

>>67566493
>no point in dividing the white race at such a crucial point.

Fuck off stormfag. This is not about race. It's about nationality, culture, and liberty for all southerners not just for 'whites'.
>>
>>67573457
And would gladly see the south rise again.
>>
Southerner here. I probably wouldn't have fought at all. Since I wouldn't die for some Jew Plantation owners cheap labor dependent business. And if I was Northerner I wouldn't fight to help the Fed oppress States rights. Secession was always supposed to be an option. Makes me wonder if Texas secedes to save itself from the Fed flooding it with Mexicans, Cubans, and refugees will people sign up to kill Texans?
>>
>>67566224
Neither because I'm only like third generation American.
>>
>>67566224
My parents came from Virginia, so probably the Confederacy.
>>
File: Believe.png (4 KB, 548x134) Image search: [Google]
Believe.png
4 KB, 548x134
>>67569879
>I believe I'm on the right side.
>believe

Keyword. All liberals ever do is "believe they're on the right side", which is sort of hypocritical considering their stance on anything faith based. At least we make a decision based on evidence.
>>
Would fight for the Confederates no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OdG2vcO1gU
>>
>>67566224
Family fought for the North
If was alive at the time I probably would have too but knowing what the Union turned into would have definitely fought for the South
>>
>>67566224
All my family fought North, in Michigan and New York, also fought both sides in the revolution, I'd be scared as fuck to fight "went to college with a focus in 19th military history and that scares me" but I'd be a southern supporter
>>
I think my father's side fought for the South. During the war, someone in my family settled down in the mountains far West in Virginia after being wounded, and established Clintwood. Literally everything there has our last name.
>>
>>67566224
My ancestors were binge drinking in Scotland still, I'd fight for Yanks because better flag.
>>
>>67574293
And also, I wouldn't have fought on either side. I would have been coal mining or something.
>>
>>67574293
I like Clintwood.
>>
>>67566224
>Confederacy
>Confederacy
>>
>>67574870
Honestly, it's not a bad place. I used to travel there for my great grandma's birthdays before she passed away. 8 hour drive through the remote mountains and abandoned coal mining towns. It's so quiet out there.
>>
Cool fact, my great-great-great grandfather fought for the Union.

He emigrated to the US from Ireland (like everyone in the 1800s) and he joined up as soon as he got there in New York. The records go a little dodgy at this point but we think he fought at the Second Battle of Manassas (or one of the many larger skirmishes just after the main battle concluded). After which he deserted from the Union army and fled back to Ireland.

tl;dr my ancestor emigrated and fought for the union before fucking the US off and moving back to Ireland. Pretty cool
>>
>>67571788

Some families keep excellent records. The scots presbyterian settlers to the US sure did. we have shit on record going back to 1719 in the colonies and farther back than that before they came over. Churches were a big part of the record keeping.

If your people didn't keep records, then it takes some work but its doable to trace it all back. start with your grandparents. look for birth certificates, death certificates. Is there a family bible? some have records in there. start a family tree. start writing stuff down as you find it out. go back a little at a time. then you can use things like ancestry.com to find branches of your family that hook up with your branch..where people have already done the research..and you can fill in the blanks or the rest of the way back.
>>
>>67567025
proof, sir.
>>
Union. Union.
Tbh.
>>
>>67575718
Thanks for the help family.

As far as I know a lot of our records were lost in Katrina/Rita so it's gonna be hard to piece everything together.
>>
>>67572458
underrated post
>>
>>67575646
I love WV, to be honest. The rest of the country sees us as backwards hicks and fucks off. The people are so nice and communities are really tight knit.
And where else in America can I trade chickens for auto service?
>>
>>67566224
My ancestors were in the North (Norwegian) so obviously fought for the North.

The south had the moral and legal right to secede, although realistically I would support reconciliation and not fighting.

That being said it's better for both the nation as well as geopolitics as well that the North won in the end.
>>
Both. Maryland for the union, Florida for the confederates.
>>
File: 0314_TrueDetective_someecards.jpg (242 KB, 550x644) Image search: [Google]
0314_TrueDetective_someecards.jpg
242 KB, 550x644
>>67566224
>confederacy
>california independence
>>
>>67573529
They were rare, but there were some black Confederate soldiers. Take them over white trash any day.
>>
About 100 of my ancestors were confederate. Some 15-20 were union.
>>
>>67566224
Union/Union

Union forever
>>
>>67566224
cannot confirm but my grandmother in mexico always told me an ancestor of the family fought for the confederacy. survived and fled back to mexico. apparently my ancestor owned land and feared the north was going to take it away from him. he didnt own slaves he was just a farmer.

only proof is that she keeps a dirty confederate hat , broken in half musket with bayonet, rusted out pistol. i mean truelly rusted out pistol in a wooden chest. thats it.

really neat knowing im not the only one in my family to have lived in the usa.
>>
>>67566224
Union
Union
>>
>>67577375
>>67579624
faggot land theives.
>>
>>67568264
WWI would have gone better for the Germans, because Britain and France would have pissed off the U.S. by getting too cozy with the CSA. Which means WWII, if it happened at all, would be too radically different from history to even speculate about
>>
>>67573565
they absolutely would. The news would just fill the airwaves with propaganda calling the secessionists racist, and dumb cucks would believe it and become convinced they have a holy mission to stop the racist secession. this goes for pretty much any secessionist movement in any part of the country
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.