[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Siberia-bros, I've always wanted to break the one-language-only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1450137429354.jpg (138 KB, 720x693) Image search: [Google]
1450137429354.jpg
138 KB, 720x693
Siberia-bros, I've always wanted to break the one-language-only that is burger education, and I've always liked how Ruusian sounds. I've just started learning it (only a week and a half in) but I like it so far. My only problem is that it's not as widely spoken as, say, Spanish or German (aka Aloha Snackbar). So tell me, what utility would I gain from becoming at least conversational in Russian?

>inb4 "Russia will take over the world"
>>
>what utility would I gain from becoming at least conversational in Russian?

None whatsoever.
>>
>>67400097

anime?
>>
>>67400254
What about all those dank Russian memes?
>>
>>67400438

They're pretty shit to be quite honest with you fampai
>>
>>67400254
What about business in Russia itself?
>>
>>67400758

>Russia
>business

You're having a laugh there, lad?
>>
File: mfw k.png (56 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mfw k.png
56 KB, 300x300
>>67400097
>Putin
>not using an AK
>>
>>67400097
>Siberia-bros
That's like 20-something-mln of Russia's population at most. I would suggest you to wider your search range.
>>
I'm trying to learn Russian also.
Not sure if Rosetta Stone sucks or I'm just stupid, though.
>>
>>67400097
You will get the same thing you get with any language. 1) access to culture (literature films etc) 2) an opportunity for travel and socializing easily in the country of your chosen language (most russians dont speak english) 3) you can work as interpretator or make buisness with russia 4) learning languges is brain training and it defers dementia

The question is what langugae and culture appeals to you
>>
>>67401046

I've been using Duolingo but it's not great. It is convenient though.
>>
>>67400097
>Utility
Depends on you, there are many people that are satisfied for learning a language with no specific use for it.

But uses there are many, you are not only learning to communicate with russians, add also some Ukranians, Belarussians, and other ex soviet countries.
Also, you get access to lots of material that usually contradicts lots of the stuff that you've been taught in the USA, including history, science and philosophy to give you a different perspective.
>>
>>67401046
Only if you do solely depend on Rosetta Stone.
You'll do better if you pick up something else in russian. May it be books, movies - or even better some native russians to talk to.
>>
>>67401431

I know almost nothing of Russian culture apart from the shit I got from my classical music background.
>>
>>67400097
I'd say the first and foremost reason to speak Russian is literature. Being able to read Dost in his own exact words is infinitely rewarding on its own. Second advantage is being able to travel freely in Russia. There are amazing places here, some of which are quite unique, you can't find them in some other Canada. Plus many people in ex-soviet countries still speak Russian, and while you can't really expect the majority of people in, say, Samarkand to speak English, with Russian you'll easily get by.
>>
>>67401996

That's good to know. What is the average Russian's views on the Euro migrant issue or black people? It'd be nice to go somewhere that doesn't like either for a change.
>>
>>67400097
I love how russian sounds, I wanted to learn it also, but their grammatiks are absolutely madness.
And I speak several language... (Italian, German, French of course...)

For the reading of the Russian alphabet, it's easy if you are a scientist, it's fully latin alphabet transcriptable.

Good luck !
>>
i heard learning russian will help you land a government job
>>
>>67401431

How easy is it for a foreigner to travel in Russia? I wouldn't be going any time soon, but I'm curious as to what kinds of restrictions I would face.
>>
>>67402919

Yeah I've had a pretty easy time with Cyrillic so far, particularly ф, п, and г since I know the Greek alphabet and they carry over well.
>>
>>67401715
I went the trans-siberian railway and i speak like 10 words of russian
>>
>>67403088

I'm in IT/software development but I've always thought it would be cool to be a translator or something.
>>
>>67402771
That would be anywhere, because even the german cucks themselves don't like it, as evinced by their recent Lander elections.

The majority of our people hates both with a passion, but of course it depends. Young people, liberals and crazy university students can be found anywhere. I don't think you should move here, though, the drop in the standard of living is all but guaranteed to be unbearable.
>>
>>67403088

>Foreigners
>government job

Only in the media
>>
>>67403627

Oh I have no desires to move, but I do enjoy travelling. My last international experience was touring Italy several years ago, and I enjoyed but I probably would have had more fun if I could do more than count in the native language.
>>
>>67403857

I think he meant my government, tovarisch.
>>
>>67401046
Beginner Russian learner here too. From what I've heard Rosetta Stones Russian course is rather mediocre, haven't used it myself though. I highly suggest checking out the New Penguin Russian Course book. It's very in depth and informative and you can find copies on Amazon for pretty cheap.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.