[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Mass for the first time in 12 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: saint_michaels.jpg (224 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
saint_michaels.jpg
224 KB, 576x768
OK /pol I' have the day off, and I'm pretty bored.
I was thinking of heading to my local Catholic Church (St. Michael's, oldest and actually most beautiful in town) for mass at lunch. What are /pols thoughts on me questioning or trying to redpill the Pastor or parishioners on our ongoing 'refugee' influx. Keep in mind this is a fairly conservative small town (~46000) smack in the middle of Ontario liberal hell. Any subtle questions or advice would be appreciated.
>pic church in question, Belleville ON I don't give a fuck if people know my location at this point
>>
>>67356564
Yeah, and I want to be quiet and subtle, no sign carrying screaming bullshit
>>
File: b-bye_city.png (1 MB, 977x643) Image search: [Google]
b-bye_city.png
1 MB, 977x643
>>67356564
>pic
City in general, I do not want it over run with dindus
>>
Well aren't you just a little saint. Go ahead.
>>
>Cucktianity

Not even once. Have fun listening to padre Pedo going on and on about how everyone needs to help those poor single male refugees
>>
Just take your anonymous, give him the roman salute, and hand him a banana.
He will know.
>>
>>67356952
Dutch fedora faggot.
>>
>>67357093

Go help rapefugees you whiny faggot
>>
>>67356849

>Well aren't you just a little saint
Well it's the only thing I can think of. I suppose I could flood the city with anti-nigger propaganda flyers, but that would just make the jew news and vilanize whites more

>>67356952
>Have fun listening to padre Pedo going on and on about how everyone needs to help those poor single male refugees
Sadly enough that is what I expect. I could just go full on Breivik, but I doubt that would help either, besides I'm a bit low on .223 right now
>>
>>67356564
You don't talk during mass. He also isn't called a pastor, it's a priest.
>>
File: 432211.png (750 KB, 800x444) Image search: [Google]
432211.png
750 KB, 800x444
>>67356564
You will feel great after the mass, I guarantee it
>>
>>67357212
>He also isn't called a pastor, it's a priest.
Meh, whatever, as I mentioned it's been 12 years, I have a good 5 hours to brush up on the particular protocols. So Christian Hue, when can you approach the man? before? after> or is something like this made as an appointment?
>>
File: 20160227_143641.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160227_143641.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>67357285
>feel great after the mass, I guarantee it
Well OK, if not there is a pub right down the street
>>
>>67357366
You can try to talk about these things during confession. Some priests are quick and don't like to talk much, just listening a bit then giving you instruction. You might have more success if you say want to frequent church again.

Just keep in mind that you won't do much, priests tend to be very studious people, studying is pretty much their life, because of all the vows.
And most priests have formal education comparable to a Ph.D. So he will likely be well aware of everything you tell him, and already have made his mind up about the subject.
>>
>>67357772
>most priests have formal education comparable to a Ph.D
Yeah, Im aware of that. I also have a PhD (applied mathematics) which is why I fugured if I could get some face time I might actually get a meaningful conversation. Most educated people I know are quite open to discussion, unlike say, 90% of /pol and 99.9$ of the general populus. I'm under no illusions that whatever I might do will make a real difference today, but it's better than sitting on my ass shitposting and swilling beers like I usually do on my days off
>>
OK /pol, so far no one has gave me any talking points. Fire away with even the most retard stuff. If it's hillarious I will take video and post , probably around 2:00EST today
>>
>>67358196
Lol, thats the probleb with what has christianity become, fucking scholastics.
Christianity is not about " enlightenint conversation" and discussing god with the priest.
Christianity is about feeling good, and doing good. It's about doing whatever you want, praying, charity, meditating, festing that makes you feel good, and in the process thinking of how improve yourself and your community. It's about living, not knowing.

(A try of) Making a scientific book out of the Bible is what got us in this shit situation
>>
>>67356836
Lol Belleville, I played a hockey tournament there when I was a kid. That place was really nice and had a good vibe.
>>
>>67356564
Why not just go there and sit down and shut up like someone who doesn't have autism?
>>
>>67358761
Sounds like you would fit right in with the Luther Crew
>>
catlicks burn in hell. Want REAL salvation? Visit a Baptist church.
>>
File: 20150211_190723.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150211_190723.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>67358761
>thats the probleb with what has christianity become, fucking scholastics
So I should just walk in mid sermon, tip my fedora, yell FINAL CRUSADE NOW! DEUS VAULT! while whipping out my mini-14 from under my trenchcoat? At least that would make the news. I'm not really down with incarceration, so I think I'll pass on that
>>
>>67358921
>That place was really nice and had a good vibe
Not anymore maplebro, I moved north for 10 years, came back and it's a somali enclave, and the cops are PC-SJW to boot, I called my taxi driver a spook the other night (drunk on the way home from the pub), and had a cop show up at my door to give me a warning about hate speech the next day.
>>
>>67359134
What the hell are you babbling about man?
>>
>>67356564
>going to the church to discuss politics
Absolutely degenerate, try to red pill the Father after the mass
>>
>>67359644
>What the hell are you babbling about man?
You mentioned Christians are all study no action, I just gave a fictional scenario to the opposite. Don't you have a boarder to patrol?
>>
>>67358761
It's about living, yes.
It's not about "feeling good".
Christianity is about carrying one's own cross, facing one's sins and overcoming them with the help of God and his infinite mercy.

It's about acknowledging Christ the sinless died on the cross to pay off the debt of humanity's sins (past, present and future); and acknowledging he rose from the dead on the 3 day as a testament to God's glory and power over life and death.

It's about faith first and foremost, and knowledge through revelation; and as a priest I do hope you're expected to be intimately familiar with scripture: its language, symbols and prophecy. Christ's second coming (and his warning against false prophets and agents of the devil who can disguise themselves as angels of light to deceive humanity) are key tenets of Christianity.

"Feeling good", "doing good", "doing whatever you want" are somewhat irrelevant and empty gestures; righteous works without faith leads astray, and faith without works is fruitless. One needs to strive to accomplish righteous deeds (size and scope don't matter) while remaining steadfast in faith.

It's my understanding.
>>
>>67359782
No, that wasnt my point. My point was that Christianity deterred in the middle ages, especially 12th century, when they took over Plato and Aristotle and mixed it with the Bible, and that's just a part of the story. We now have a legacy of identifying Bible with cosmology, metaphysics (about reality) and knowledge, instead of identifiying it as the prime source and inspiration for ethics and morality.
The last sanctuary of this blessed ignorance is church and sacraments, as something mythical and life-pertaining.
As Galileo said, the heavens say how to go to heaven, not gow the heavens move.
You won't find answers in relgion, only happiness, if, of course.
>>
>>67360276
You have to differ the faith, and dogma. Dogma has to do with knowledge, believing you certainly know the pertaining situation, and acting with the belief that the outcome is certain, just as the cause is certain. That is not the faith, and is often served and perceived as faith.

Faith is reliance, but with a certain distance, a doubt. Doubt is essential to faith. Faith is between total doubt and total knowledge, and that is why it is most difficult to obtain. It requires a pinch of blind reliance. It is doing and hoping for the optimum outcome and consequence.

We need more faith, less dogma.
>>
File: 20160309_111814.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160309_111814.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>67360612
>You won't find answers in relgion, only happiness, if, of course.
Well, I've known that for years, one of the reasons I haven't set foot in a church (save weddings and funerals) for over a decade. As for the rest of your post, do you have any good reading or vids on the subject of "a legacy of identifying Bible with cosmology" and what not, it sounds like interesting stuff.
>>
>>67360276
I agree to what you said, but I would add what I said about faith.
I didn't want to confine religin into, what Kant called, ethical empiricism. Or consequentialism.
But isn't carrying your cross, finding peace throug suffering (instead of anger and grief) a form of satisfaction and happiness in itself?!
I think it is. Acting from within.
>>
>>67360984
I can't recommend a certain piece of information. It requires a lot of study. You have to know Plato and Aristotle, the Logos, their belief in the possibility in absolute knowledge. Then you'd have to know something about Plotinus and Saint Augustine.
Then you'd have to know something about scolastics. Anselmo and Thomas Aquinas.
Then you'd have to know a bit about the Copernican Revolution and their belief in science, mechanicism, determinism....

It's a lot, I know. It's something of a common knowledge among scholars, not my whim.

tl;dr Plato and Aristotle basically founded all the knowledge that we know. Plotinus and Augustine carried Plato over to the Middle Ages. Augustine's doctrine (which is NOT a ripoff of Plato) becomes the official church doctrine (which are brilliant regarding scientific research, btw). Then in the 13th century you have a newly discovered aristotelian writings. Thomas Aquinas causes a shitstorm in the 13th century with proving that Plato was wrong. Aquinas' teachings become the official church doctrine. In the 15th century newly Platonic writings are found. Shitstorm about Aristotle now....

And all because they tried to explain physics and cosmology of Aristotle, which is all wrong, by finding corroborations in the Bible. And there is none, because it's a book of ethics.
Sorry for the looong post.
>>
>>67360984
Did I mention that the father of theory of evolution, Lamarck, wass a Christian clerk? Or that the father of the Big Bang theory, La Maitre, was a Catholic priest? Or that the father of genetics, Mendel, was a monk?

Read read read!
>>
>>67361607
>>67361785
>Read read read!
>Sorry for the looong post
No problem, I've spent my entire life dealing with abstract mathematical concepts, right now I'm actually doing something useful (modeling fluidized reactor beds with transient heat flow), but now that I have some time and extra cash, I guess I'll start from the beginning with this stuff, off to indigo or amazon I go! Sounds like a broad subject I can get into (and probably need to build a new bookshelf for)
>>
>>67361785
>father of theory of evolution, Lamarck
Eesh, careful there, Lamarckian evolution may have been giving a bit of vindication lately (for very specific simple organisms), but don't buy into the USSR version aka Lysenkoism
>>
>>67362159
I'm certain that there is a short overview of the subject, alas I don't know any for the reason I only read the primary sources.
Start with Thomas Kuhn - The Copernican Revolution.
There's some math in it, regarding Kepler and Copernicus, but it's negligible and unimportant. But he gives a nice overview of the aristotelian cosmology, which was thought as correct for 2 000 years! (until Newton and Galileo). It's 150 pages and really fun.

I also recommend Stillman Drake - Intro to Galileo (or something). Also short, 150 pages, and very fun, more storytelling, and really rudimentary. But it will give you an insight in what caused the clash between the Church and "scientists", and it was the aristotelian conception of the world - cosmology and othology.

If not the from the beginning (Greeks), or the end (20th c.), start from the clash. Good hunting, stalker.
>>
>>67362645
Isn't Lysenko about agriculture and pseudo science? I wasn't aware of his evolutionary work. Anyhow, yes, Lamarckism is basically refuted, but I only pointed to the person, a Christian scientist.
>>
>>67356564
It's Monday, there won't be mass around noon.
>>
>>67362159
>>67362645
When we're at the biology. The aristotelian geocentrism also contributed to the interpretation of the Bible.
For example, Aristotle argued that Earth is at the centre of the universe. That means that humans are the at the centre, which means they are most important of species and the highest to God. It never says so in the Bible, NEVER, but Aristotle was very very influential, and the clergy use it to mold their conception of humans, and used Bible as the authority, interpreting it for their causes.
That gave so much importance to the theory of evolution, that we are not the one, (so) special and unique organism. Which is not, I repeat, in conflict with the Bible. Only with the *tradition*. And that is, in a way, one of the reasons people perceive Bible and science conflicting - tradition and academia, not the Bible itself.
>>
>>67356564
it's monday dumbo. Churches only open on sundays, at least here...
>>
>small town
>46,0000

I want city slickers to go.
>>
>>67358196
>had a PhD
>can't spell "populace" and drinks to excess
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>67363681
Populus is a Latin word, meaning crowd. He's taking it to a higher level, pleb.
>>
>>67363123
>And that is, in a way, one of the reasons people perceive Bible and science conflicting
A fair number of modern scientists (Planck, Kelvin , even Mendel, to name just a few, and Newton of course) seem to have been able to rationalize their faith with science, which is why it baffles me that the common man of faith can't accept the concepts of faith and scientific inquiry as being non mutually exclusive. But hey, people are fucking retarded en mass
>>
>>67363681
>Get a load of this guy.
I never claimed my degree was in english, and yeah I'm a functional alcoholic, someday I'll need to quit before it kills me, but I'm doing fine right now. How's your job going?
>>
>>67363932
It's the media man. People like de Grasse and Hawking, ignorant of real history of science.
There is a sociology of science, Edinburgh school, very famous, but it's not talked about because of the scientific lobby. Those folks showed in the 80s examples in the history of science when scientists pursued wealth, used tricks and politicl influence to steal patents.. Hobbes and the Air Pump is just one example. Not to mention the scientific magazines lobby. My point is history has showed that science was used to gain a higher social position, and it is still used today, even more with the TV and the Internet.

Common folks follow the mainstream media, whose who dig a bit can easily find that the history is greay. Especially religion and science. Shrodinger was influend by eastern philosophies, it can be seen in his interpretation of quantum mechanics. Bohr and Heisenberg, even Einstein had a religious/philosophical note in their works.

Have to go. See you around.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.