[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it for an American to get a job and move to Australia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 107x80) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 107x80
How hard is it for an American to get a job and move to Australia? How is the economy there? What's cost if living like outside of Sydney in rural areas? I have a BS in biology as work experience. Could teach highschool anatomy. Maybe I can solve your cane toad and reef problems.
>>
File: smh-13082013-cost-of-education.png (11 KB, 634x515) Image search: [Google]
smh-13082013-cost-of-education.png
11 KB, 634x515
>>67350971
>BS in biology
>work experience

Cost of living is fucking insane here, and you're not going to get a job if you call a BS "work experience"
>>
>>67350971
Try applying for 189 visa. If your skill preference met their lists then you're good to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 640x360
>>67351468
dumb as fuck chart
because u pay nothing for degree upfront and repayment comes out of your tax later, with a really low interest rate that merely adjusts for inflation. meanwhile government pays you to dorm on campus and have enough left over for some recreation .

>>67350971
because we have a small population we focus on getting shit done so most jobs are trades, physical work, service sector work, stem work or business related. i wouldnt expect a great job in your field here.

maybe you could teach like you said, but our low population reflects in a low number of high schools in comparison to US and teaching was a meme field for a few years for women.
>>
>>67350971

NZ seems like it might be a better idea than Australia, AUS seems hot and dumb and everyone gets skin cancer
>>
>>67350971
FUCKING
U
L
L

Don't even bother.
>>
>>67351839

I have trade experience in flooring and carpentry, but I've been working in vet anatomy for two years. I really just want to make enough money to live on a ranch in the country. I don't really want to teach but if I had to I would. Might have better luck pursuing a vet or zoo job.
>>
>>67351839
>because u pay nothing for degree upfront

maybe that is the chart for international students.

amenities & services fees plus any lab fees do come out of upfront costs. you can pay your uni fees upfront too, should you wish.

> meanwhile government pays you to dorm on campus and have enough left over for some recreation

not unless your parents are on an incredibly low wage or you declare yourself independent by taking a year off and working.
>>
>>67352539
>having your birthday late in the year
sucks 2 be u
>>
>>67350971
Any Australian Croatians here?
I hear a lot of my people moved to Australia.
>>
>>67351844
Theres a reason why half of new Zealand lives in Australia and not the other way round m8
>>
sorry lad we're full try the islamic state of Canada
>>
>>67352711
>Theres a reason

What is it
>>
>>67353610
more sheep here
>>
>>67353660

Seriously though, I'm curious
>>
>>67350971
Get an MBA or work at a zoo
>>
>>67353770
>work at a zoo

The correct term is Centrelink
>>
File: 0zXLM.jpg (45 KB, 650x479) Image search: [Google]
0zXLM.jpg
45 KB, 650x479
>>67351844
skin cancer rates are just as bad here. Also fuck off, we're full
>>
>>67350971
Unless you're a well established farmer or primary producer, the rural parts of Australia have no use/jobs for you.
>>
>>67351844
>tfw ginger in australia
>tfw catch on fire if I'm outside for more than 2 minutes without completely covering myself in sunscreen, clothing and a lead box over top for extra protection
>>
>>67350971
as far as finding a job is concerned, it depends on what you want.

menial part time labor has almost no vacancies, even for juniors wanting pocket money. ive been looking for work over the past 2 years for ANYTHING and only 3 jobs have come up in that time (and 2 of those were from family run businesses).

getting a job in higher paying field however is a bit of a mixed bag. anything in the field of medicine (ie. nurse, pharamcist, doctor) is always in need of new people. theres a bit of a shortage of doctors and nurses here in AUS. in regards to techonolgy and art based fields however, you are fucked. there are few technology based companies that are successful here, and there is no one here for arts, so if you are an arts major, you are fucked. more so than if you were in america.

however, seeing as you could tech high school anatomy, dont bother. most high schools only have 1 science subject, that branches off into 4 different subjects for yr 11 and 12: Biology, Chemistry, Astronomy, and Physics. if you want to teach, you need to be able to teach in multiple areas of biology, not just anatomy.

the cost of living is the highest in the world, though there are a few things that make it relatively easy to live:
1.minimum wage is (almost) livable. if you are okay with sharing a house with someone, you could get by pretty comfortably in minimum wage,
2. EVERYTHING is covered by your taxes. this means education is relatively cheap, healthcare is covered almost completely by tax payer money, and various amenity's such as public transport and food are also pretty cheap too. this doesn't mean confectionery's like chocolate are cheap though, just your necessity's like meat, bread and vegetables.

3. you get paid alot more for the same work in australia, but as a consequence, everything is a little bit more expensive (comparatively). houses that would sell for $500000 in america would likely sell for over a million dollars here.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.