[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was life like in the 80s/90s? Was it better compared to now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1450052194359.jpg (25 KB, 266x285) Image search: [Google]
1450052194359.jpg
25 KB, 266x285
What was life like in the 80s/90s? Was it better compared to now?
>>
comfy
>>
>>67341025
The Soviet Union sucked.
>>
>>67341025
What's life like in Canada? Thinking of moving there since the migrant crisis.
>>
Same as now. If you were a Chad or rich it was great. If you were a gamma male it sucked.

'cept now we can all talk together
>>
>>67341025

It was different. Better in some ways, worse in others.
>>
you decide, compare this video to going into a 7-11 today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
>>
The 80s are overrated, the 90s were spectacular
>>
>>67341127
i haven't seen one refugee despite us importing like 25,000

shit currency but universal health care. come to Toronto or Montreal if you're serious, Vancouver is lost
>>
>>67341112
How did it affect the West?
>>67341127
Pretty boring, sempai. Toronto and Vancouver are very expensive even for traditional aspiring richfags (ie people who make a bit over $100k) Do you have a uni degree? Are you a professional?
>>
>>67341025
Really strange, like, young people having sex was "naughty" and everybody loves spray cans - hairspray, paint, bug spray, fuck! they would just spray somekind of solvent or another all fucking day.

also the climate was super weird and we named a bunch of new cloud types (omgcontrails!111), the ocean went foamy and children began to become obsessed with tiny glowing rectangles.
>>
>>67341025
no
>>
>>67341025

Simpler.
>>
>>67341658
Elaborate?
>>
>>67341368
Fuck montreal or toronto plus can't afford with the job I might get, I'm thinking either Regina or Calgary.
>>67341399
I don't really care about boring , friend says it's comfy and nice. cold in winter but I can manage.
>>
My life would have been so different if I did go to that party where everybody experimented on eachother and I didn't stay in playing videogames
>>
>>67341025

It was way easier to kill people back then.

Now it's like everywhere you go there's a fucking camera.
>>
One scene in Watchmen really reminds me of the 80s - fuck Boy George and big hair and shit - just the scene in the restaurant - 99 Luftballoons playing - for just a moment there it feels like the actual 80s, not the cartoon version.
>>
when i was a kid i could play with my friends from the time my homework was done (around 4) to 9 or 10 at night and my parents were fine with it as long as I let them know where I was going to be.

this past winter on of my employees was telling me she wasn't letting her 16 year old son go to school because the sidewalks to his bus stop had 2 inches of snow and he might slip and fall

we somehow went from latchkey kids to helicopter parents in under a generation
>>
File: IMG_0658.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0658.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>67341731
I'm from Calgary. Right now it's in recession because it's reliant on oil prices... same thing is happening in Regina. If you can find a job then it's good - at least housing is getting cheaper.
>>
File: 1457838390108.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1070) Image search: [Google]
1457838390108.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1070
>>67341127
I live in Central BC and our snow was gone 2 weeks ago. Temperatures only got to -17 this year

We'd love to have you kameraden!

Life is really great here in Canada. Avoid everywhere except BC. There is not a place that is ugly here, just people. The Okanagan region boasts blue and green waters and every type of terrain.

It's a utopia.
>>
>>67342155
Is it a good place for outsiders though or is it a buddy-buddy kind of place?
>>
>>67341025

The beginning of the 80s sucked somewhat because you'd find yourself seriously thinking about nuclear war at least once a week. For some reason the 80s seemed more "futuristic" than the 00s in that you were thinking more about how technology was causing a break from the past and were unsure of where it would go. It was tamed considerably by the turn of the millenium into something fun but seemed more like science fiction in the early 80s.

The 90s was easy. It started with the end of communism and not much bad happened. That song "Right Here Right Now" and "Winds of Change" described the mood of great optimism around 1991. I can't think of many low points other than the Rodney King riots and even those ended with "can't we all just get along" rather than a lot of stuff about privilege and justifications of violence like you'd have now. PC was lurking in universities but you could laugh at it and mock it without a mob gathering to shame you. By the end of the 90s the Internet was looking real big and fun.

So yeah, mostly better except nuclear annihilation looming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPExnyF42s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKY-2zkWJuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

The last one was especially scary because The Day After was in two parts and they left you hanging right after that scene.
>>
>>67342457

Forgot this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg
>>
>>67342421
British Columbia is very welcoming. Once you tell anyone about yourself, where you're from and what it's like in Germany you will make instant friends.

It also helps if you aren't fat and ugly, but you're not American so you'll probably be okay
>>
>>67341025
Much more crime, esp street crime
MTV still played music instead of reality shows
Had to grab testicles and call girls to ask them out
Had to share one phone line for entire house
Had to fight sister to use said phone line
Every social 'scene' was huge and full of people
Tipper Gore censorship made it difficult to buy uncensored music
People had much more free time and went out almost every night.
Constant threat of nuclear annihilation (80s)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.