[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Children: are they adults or not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: kid.jpg (10 KB, 230x300) Image search: [Google]
kid.jpg
10 KB, 230x300
This seems like a joke question but yet another boy, age twelve this time, is being considered for being "charged as an adult".

Either he's an adult or he's a kid. How does a kid magically transform into an adult just for one specific thing (committing a crime that upsets adults)?
>>
>>67331630

This strikes me as one of the biggest examples of bogus thinking in American culture.

Is America the only place with this insane concept?
>>
>>67331630
It's about fairness and justice. In todays society children are a privilege class, althou vulnerable they have rights most adults don't. Like the disable.
>>
>>67331630

Kids get charged as adults when they do very adult things. There was a 14-year-old niglet here who got charged as an adult after raping and killing a girl. The sheboons were out wailing "HE DUST UH BEBY", well I don't know too many babies who are rapists and murderers, do you?
>>
>>67331922
>Chucky
Checkmate.
>>
>>67331922
>Kids get charged as adults when they do very adult things.

But they can't ever possibly consent.

Yeah, that makes sense.

How can a child do an adult thing without being an adult?

Logic failure you have there.
>>
>>67331864
>It's about fairness and justice.

No, it's about bullshit.

Make a bloody Venn diagram.

All children are not adults.
>>
>>67331630
Since children can't vote they're the only social class that doesn't have policy pandered to them, so naturally, nobody cares.
>>
This shit posses me off to op. If you are the victim you are an innocent infant. If you are the perpetrator you are an adult.

I've seen 30 yo women tried an minors too. You figure that one out.
>>
>>67332206
>nobody cares.

Are you kidding?

Carlin: "Politicians traditionally hide behind three things: The flag, the Bible, and children."

"Think of the children" is one of the biggest political go-to cards in the deck.

But here is a perfect example of how American culture has a double-standard about sex and violence.

Sex = they cannot consent and it is automatically predatory vilence

Violence = they are adults
>>
>>67332033

Listen, there's a big difference between a preteen felon-American getting his career of sociopathy off to an early start and you luring some eight-year-old into the back of your free candy van.
>>
I always thought they charged as an adult when they're up for trial for a crime that will land them in jail well into their adult life, like rape, murder, arson etc
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 234x215
>>67331630
charge him as a child and consider it part of his permanent record.

how fucking hard could it be?
>>
>>67331922
>well I don't know too many babies who are rapists and murderers, do you?

Actually I do. I'm not attached to the internet 24/7. My daughter has some extremely psychotic friends they do attempt to rape and murder each other. The idea that kids are quiet behaved angels is retarded. They are probably worse than adults actually, They are just weak.
>>
>kids can be charged as adults for crimes
>They can change their genders
Yet they some how can't consent to sex, where's the fucking logic?
>>
>>67332507
ad hominem is a fallacy

try again
>>
>>67332653
>where's the fucking logic?

It's American "logic"

special "logic"
>>
>>67331630
They are defined as adults only when authoritarian shitheads feel like it suits them. They can be charged as adults to avoid legal barriers blocking harsh penalties for juveniles, but they can't send racy photos to each other.
>>
>>67332632
>how fucking hard could it be?

For Americans you wouldn't believe how hard elementary logic is. That includes "brilliant" legal minds in our judiciary.
>>
File: 1455315735487.jpg (47 KB, 486x644) Image search: [Google]
1455315735487.jpg
47 KB, 486x644
>>67331630
>Children: are they adults
yes
>>
>>67331630

When we want to lock him away for life for the safety of society, because we all know he's a lost cause any way and the good intentions of juvenile law are wasted on it.
>>
>>67332787
>They are defined as adults only when authoritarian shitheads feel like it suits them. They can be charged as adults to avoid legal barriers blocking harsh penalties for juveniles, but they can't send racy photos to each other.

Americans don't like sex = "they can't consent!"

Americans like harsh incarceration (most imprisoned per capita in the world) = "they're adults!"

Fake law and justice to pander to political preferences.
>>
>>67331922
The entire point of juvenile/adult distinctions in justice is about the alleged offender, not the alleged crime. Adults aren't charged as minors for Internet harassment or stealing vidya.
>>
>>67332958

Actually the first example suits the second, too.
>>
>>67332443
Unfortunately many of those policies aren't even helpful to children. Many of them actually do damage.
>>
>>67333027
>The entire point of juvenile/adult distinctions in justice is about the alleged offender, not the alleged crime.

If that were true then there would be no "trying as an adult" because the offender would be seen as being a child

because they fucking are one
>>
>>67332958
This
>>
>>67331630
Children's brains are literally less developed. They're less able to process emotions and make rational decisions. This shit should be unconstitutional. No one cares though since they're all supposedly murders or rapists or something.
>>
>>67333138
That's my point. Children are minors and should be charged as such. That's what the distinction is for.
>>
>>67332701

Diddling kids is a fallacy. If you can't figure out what the problem is here then you're an r-selected sub-human who should be drug out in the street and shot for the betterment of society.
>>
>>67333294
>Diddling kids is a fallacy

Not it's a Saturday night for me.
>>
>>67333294
ad hominem is a fallacy

so is shitposting like that

you should at least read what I've written before spewing BS:

>Make a bloody Venn diagram.

>All children are not adults.

You're obviously to dumb to understand that.
>>
>>67332637
Why do you allow your daughter to be friends with niggers?
>>
>>67332852
I noticed ever since I discovered rhubarb is a "fruit" in NY
>>
>>67333292
>Children are minors and should be charged as such. That's what the distinction is for.

Tell that to the morons all over the US who don't even blink an eye when this "charged as an adult" crap comes up.
>>
>>67331630
You don't understand how criminal sentencing works.

It's not about receiving justice or payback. That mindset results in people's hands being chopped off. Instead it's about trying to prevent people from engaging in criminal activity ("do this, ya go to jail") while at the same time trying to limit criminal behavior from getting any worse.

If you ever wonder why we don't hang thieves anymore, it's because if murder and thief are given the same punishment, a thief is much more likely to kill their victim to prevent witnesses, as committing a worse crime doesn't affect his punishment.

So in respect to "charged as a minor," it's because for whatever reason the courts believe that a lesser punishment (say 3 years in juvie) is equivalent on a preventative level to ten years in adult prison. Going beyond that would cause minors to commit more severe acts because the punishment would no longer be preventative to a certain segment of the criminal population and instead encourage worse crimes.

So rather than send a 15 year old kid who stole a guy's wallet to jail for five years, you send him to juvie for two. If you sent him for the five, he'd come out a 20 year old whose spent a quarter of his life with criminals. What's to stop him from moving on to more severe crimes?
>>
>>67333546

No one gives a shit about the twisted logic you use to support your perversion. Your rabbitry is a cancer on the civilization that regular people have built to support their children and protect them until they are able to make their own decisions. You're a predator and you deserve to be handled in the same way the shepherd handles the wolf who threatens his sheep.
>>
>>67333621
>Why do you allow your daughter to be friends with niggers?

They are pure white. The idea that all kids are well behaved is as retarded as the idea that all whites are behaved.
>>
>>67334045
>Your rabbitry is a cancer on the civilization that regular people have built to support their children and protect them until they are able to make their own decisions. You're a predator and you deserve to be handled in the same way the shepherd handles the wolf who threatens his sheep.

Straps on breastplate
>>
>>67333922
utterly illogical

the idea that you have to pretend that children are adults to prevent crime is beyond inane

Just make the juvenile punishments for the crimes whatever you think are strong enough as a deterrent

duh

There is no need for this fantasy "tried as an adult" thing" unless you're dealing with gifted young people whose cognitive advancement enables them to be in the adult stage of cognitive maturity. That is very rare
>>
>>67333235
Get a grip faggot. Being charged as an adult just means these kids will get a slightly longer sentence than going to juvie and getting out when they turn 18. The Supreme Court even said in 2005 we can't execute minors anymore.
>>
>>67334045
projection

admitting you need help is the first step

I hear your cries
>>
>>67334259
>Being charged as an adult just means
It just means people like you are idiots who don't comprehend the fact that children are not adults
>>
>>67331630

Premeditated murder should be met with death no matter the age of the murderer.

Accidentally killing someone maybe show some leniency because they're a child. But if it's a kid and they knowingly kill someone they should be put to death. They aren't fit for civil society and there is no rehabilitation for murderers.
>>
>>67334562
>Premeditated murder should be met with death no matter the age of the murderer.

Based on what evidence?
>>
>>67334254
I dont really care, if a dog goes mad you put it down.
>>
>>67334835
"mad" is what a minor's mind is

by virtue of it not being an adult's

so, by your logic all children should be put down
>>
>>67331630
We never become adults, puberty is a meme.
We are still kids.
>>
>>67335012
buddy, immature does not equal mad. Ive seen kids not understand abstract concepts or be immature. when a child plans the murder of someone else and goes through with it, we should remove this threat to society. inb4 "all kids are immature and thus possible threats to society so we need to kill them all"
>>
>>67331630
They're old enough to decide if they want to be the opposite gender before hitting puberty, so yes.
>>
>>67335321
>buddy, immature does not equal mad

yes it does

it means reason is impaired

it's why there was this statement in the intro to psych book:

"If you hand an angry adolescent a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"

Their minds are mad precisely because they are not yet adult enough to enjoy the full flower of reason

Anything less than the full ability to reason is madness
>>
>>67335116
That explains a lot about South America.
>>
>>67335503
>Anything less than the full ability to reason is madness
And who defines what the full abiliy to reason is? Because by that definition a large portion of adults are mad. Also, why does hitting 18, suddenly make you have the full ability to reason? at what point do you gain your ability to reason?
>>
>>67335503
>"If you hand an angry man a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"
>"If you hand an angry woman a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"
>"If you hand an angry dragonkin a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"
>>
>>67335891
>at what point do you gain your ability to reason?

At the point you're no longer a minor.

> Also, why does hitting 18, suddenly make you have the full ability to reason?
It doesn't. The age of 18 is roughly when a female is capable of bearing children without damaging her body (like by leeching too much calcium out of an immature bone structure).

>And who defines what the full abiliy to reason is?
Developmental psychologists.
>>
>>67336045
>>"If you hand an angry man a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"
>>"If you hand an angry woman a loaded gun do not be surprised if it is fired"

Only if they're drunk, stupid, or both.

The law sees them as having the ability to reason well enough to make the decision.

That is what separates adults from minors.
>>
>>67333922
>he'd come out a 20 year old whose spent a quarter of his life with criminals
I think you're coming to another problem. Why are prisons formed like little crime worlds? Why aren't prisoners' interactions limited to behind fences, or video chat (for classrooms and thing)? Allowing them to have significant unrestricted contact forces people into the very situations that enable these people to become more criminal in behavior. If you're constantly worried about the next guy who might be coming to whoop your ass or slit your throat, you're going to have to "toughen up," and it's precisely these scenarios that make it difficult for long-term prisoners to survive on the outside.
>>
File: Lord of flies.jpg (102 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
Lord of flies.jpg
102 KB, 638x479
>>67331630

Kids can do some horrible things.
>>
>>67336138
>at what point do you gain your ability to reason?

At the point you're no longer a minor.

> Also, why does hitting 18, suddenly make you have the full ability to reason?
It doesn't.

But anon, in most of the developed, turning 18 does mean you are no longer a minor. So why would a 17.995 year old be unable to reason while an 18 year old would?
>>
>>67336386
>>67336386
developed world*
>>
Fuck children.
>>
>>67336297
But apparently they are always innocent angels when it comes to sex.

(Actually this isn't even true in American culture where there is a simultaneous belief in the innocent angel, reflected in the law's automatic labeling of adult-minor sex as predator-angel abuse — coupled with even young boys now being labeled sex offenders for playing doctor with little girls their age. America also has a long extremely sordid history of doing things like mutilating kids and torturing them with acid because of fear of masturbation)
>>
>>67336386
>in most of the developed, turning 18 does mean you are no longer a minor
the most common age of consent world-wide is 16.

The earliest age at which a minor can become fully cognitively developed is 12-13. That is rare. For the rest it happens later.

Neo-Piagetian phases of cognitive development are generally seen as the most useful model but there is plenty of debate over which model is right.
>>
File: free country my ass.jpg (112 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
free country my ass.jpg
112 KB, 640x640
>>67331922
>sheboons
This right here is the reason for the "trying children as adults" and similar human rights violations in the American """""Justice""""" system: simple brainless racism. No more, no less.
>>
File: aaaaaa.png (431 KB, 780x885) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.png
431 KB, 780x885
>>67336297
"Piggy where you go! It'd so dark!"
>>
>>67331630
i didn't start figuring out who i really am until i was about 30.

not to say that can't start earlier but nowadays i'd say people are not intellectual adults until well into their 20s
>>
File: 9a2.jpg (58 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
9a2.jpg
58 KB, 560x420
ITT: pedophile libertarians try to use jewish legal shenanigans to promote the legalization of kiddie-diddling
>>
>>67337107
>nowadays i'd say people are not intellectual adults until well into their 20s

If someone has not achieved full cognitive development (the final Neo-Piagetian phase) by the age of 18 or so then that person is slow or has been highly deprived of socialization (like living in an attic).

The extension of childhood toward infinity is a modern consequence of the lengthening of lifespan.
>>
>>67337243
>ITT: pedophile libertarians try to use jewish legal shenanigans to promote the legalization of kiddie-diddling

Jewish legal shenanigans made kiddie diddling illegal in the first place.
>>
>>67331789
I wish we would have that. We literally have 12 years kids killing and going free to kill more.
>>
>>67337954
>I wish we would have that. We literally have 12 years kids killing and going free to kill more.

It's not necessary to have a legal fantasy to have stiffer sentences for crimes committed by juveniles.

Apples and oranges fallacy.
>>
I will say, though, that adolescents and prepubescents are not the same.

The category "minor" is too blunt for a lot of legal determinations, which is one of the big problems.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.