[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about planned obsolescence? >buy $900 dishwasher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: home-appliances[1].jpg (39 KB, 740x307) Image search: [Google]
home-appliances[1].jpg
39 KB, 740x307
Can we talk about planned obsolescence?

>buy $900 dishwasher
>it breaks down after a year
>call sears and tell them the error message
>they send a guy to look at it between 8 and 12
>guy shows up at 1
>turns on dishwasher to get the same error message i already told them
>tells me circuitboard is broken, will cost $400 to repair, and they can schedule me for a visit in 10 days
>charges me $80 for the visit where they did nothing but get the same information i gave them over the phone
>9 months later circuitboard breaks
>do the same thing
>service guy doesn't even turn on dishwasher
>says "yup, circuitboard is broken"
>charges $80 anyway
>$400 for parts and service in 10 days
>9 months later
>dishwasher breaks
>buy a new dishwasher

Fucking hell. Companies need to stop making such shitty products. No point to this. just wanted to vent.
>>
File: wsmile.jpg (49 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
wsmile.jpg
49 KB, 900x563
What brand make and model, incoming power quality issue maybe , voltage spike.
>>
It's like that now, youngfag.

I remember a time when, if a company sold you something that was fucked up, they would MORE than compensate you for it. If this was the 1970's, Sears would be sending you apology letters and installing a brand-new dishwasher immediately.

Not sure what happened. I guess corporations realized that people are going to buy their shit whether they're fair and reasonable about it or not.
>>
>>67264465
>made in china

That's your fault for not buying american.
>>
File: ohoh.gif (767 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
ohoh.gif
767 KB, 298x298
No fucking consequences for fucking someone.

Picture related nigger about to nig up.
>>
Not "planned" per se. Just Made in China.
Look on the Internets for how to fix shit when it breaks. It's the only way to live in [THE CURRENT YEAR].
Also, I can't believe this shit only has a 1-year warranty or less. Large appliances used to always be 5-year.
>>
>>67264879
>Not sure what happened.

People coddled the rich instead of making them be responsible for the actions.
>>
>>67264465
No point?
The point is, you've spent a total of 1860$ on a dishwasher worth 500$ at most.
The point is, lasting products don't earn companies money.
>>
Just handwash your dishes or use plastic plates/forks. How do you think they cleaned dishes hundreds of years ago?
>>
>>67265193
This

Nearly all of it is out there, then you can save money and know how to fix things, it's a win win
>>
>>67265193
It has nothing to do withe being made in China. For example the wiring is made from tiny wires on purpose. They won't last long and when they get burned they will take out something inside as well.
>>
>>67264465
if you really paid $80 for a visit and $400 for a circuit board replacement you are a cuck
>>
>>67265443
Nah they are made from tiny wires because they can spend $300 dollars and sell it for $900 instead of spend $500 and sell it for $900
>>
GE's (so that includes 'Jenn-Air' & 'Hotpoint') entire appliance assembly facility is 100% automated. From start to finish, the product is produced, palletized, and loaded by robots. When POs come in, the assembly line & robots are programmed by other robots. Part of the reason for this is to cut cost, obviously, but the other reason is because it is a showcase for the Robotic/AI technology GE Corporate sells to other massive companies. They use their appliance division as a staging/showcase for other companies to look at and model after.

As someone who works in appliances, i can tell you that nearly 40% (and i'm being real charitable here) of the products that come out of that facility are: dinged, missing parts, not working out of the box, or generally broken in some other way. Because there is literally nobody looking at them. There are QC robots, of course, with OCR technology, but they ain't workin right!!

It makes their product next to impossible to sell, because a customer gets pissed at the seller when their product comes in broken/dinged, and they have to wait for us to get a new one. Or we just deliver it to them anyway and have them deal with GE directly (good luck). But customers will still expect you to have GE stuff on the floor.

Planned obsolescence is the least of our worries at this point.
>>
>mfw some people are so stupid fat and lazy that they need a dishwashing machine

>mfw OP is such a stupid fuck that he cant even realize the marginal cost of his purchase is outweighing the benefit and he might as well just toss that shit and wash dishes by hand because it takes like 5 minutes a day and teaches you discipline
>>
>>67265466
>Favela monkey doesn't know what cuck means

Do you even have schools in Brazil?
>>
Repairclinic dot com has always done right by me.

I replaced a main circuit board in my Kenmore range last year and saved hundreds. Before that I did the same in a Bosch dishwasher (pos).
>>
>not repairing the circuit board yourself

I fix hundreds of electronic devices a year that your average "repairmen" say are unfixable.

Reflowing solder, blown caps, loose ribbons, bad power supplies.

It isn't rocket science to fix most electronics, but your modern idiot think everything is a magic black box.
>>
>>67265736

edit add: with modern electronics you really need to install a whole house GCFI and surge protector on your main breaker box. It will pay for itself many times over.
>>
Did they also screw you over by giving you a manufacturer warranty of only 1 year, knowing it's 80% more likely to break down after a year of usage?
>>
>>67265582
I used to design water heaters (yeah I know). I was told to put a shitty wiring there on purpose. We also used shitty thermostat. It was made to last 5 years and die shortly after warranty ends.
>>
>>67264879
>Not sure what happened

People are generally fucking retarded now. Its easy to take advantage of retards. In the 70s if companies tried this shit, someone would just build a better product themselves. Now the average male only knows how to surf the net and play vidya all day. They are retarded anon that's what happened. Parents trusted the government with their child's education and got a shit load of retards. So no companies can take advantage of them.
>>
>tfw Australian
>tfw government actually got consumer law right
>Warranty on a product is usually listed as 1-3 years. Any fault during that time must be fixed for free
>If you paid a bit for the product (like $900), and you feel the warranty should last more than 1-3 years, you can challenge the manufacturer or retailer
>Laws are weighted so overwhelmingly heavily in favour of the consumer that this process is simple
>Spend every night drinking and shitposting because all your shit just werks.
>>
>>67265664
Yes, we do. In fact, men here know how to fix their own broken appliances without having to resort for cuckening technicians
>>
>>67265884
Well you can't deny that the shitty wiring and shitty thermostat were cheaper right?

But yes, the biggest mistake people do is buy things from the same company twice.
>>
>>67264465
fix it yourself faggot
I swear people these days are incompetent C U C K S
>>
>>67265193

really just one year though? in Europe all electronics have a standard 2 year warranty. Not so long ago apple got fucked in the ass by European court because they wanted to push their shitty one year warranty over here too.
>>
File: 1288023050346.jpg (16 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
1288023050346.jpg
16 KB, 232x217
>>67264879
>Not sure what happened.

yeah, i have no clue either
>>
>>67265939
BWAHAHAHAHAHA Brazilian men don't even know how to fucking USE appliances! You have an empregada, or your wife is an empregada. And where are you getting anything more than a baby sized dishwasher in Brazil, a country where you can pay someone to come to your house and wash the dishes cheaper than the cost of owning a machine?
>>
>>67264465
If you want shit that last buy germanic or anglo.

If you are willing to sacrifice quality for price then go ahead and buy chinkshit
>>
>>67264465

bitch your dishwashers are conveniently attached to your arms are you a cyborg?
>>
Learn to fix things yourself you useless fuck. My dad owns all kinds of tools, every time something breaks he finds or makes the right part to fix it.
>>
>>67266209
>incompetent C U C K S
>that flag

ahmed please
>>
>>67264465
>dishwasher

Seriously?
>>
File: 374d9ef5034.jpg (51 KB, 720x408) Image search: [Google]
374d9ef5034.jpg
51 KB, 720x408
>>67266679

>My dad owns all kinds of tools

btw if you don't get the joke i'm not going to explain it to you
>>
>>67264995
wew lad... get thee to Comedy Central
>>
>>67266525
lol I bought a condo fifteen years ago .. never used the dishwasher once... fucking shit backed up from the sink garbage disposal and now the bottom is all rusted..
>>
>>67264465
If you ever buy a bmw or Mercedes you will know that planned obsolescence is a thing.

Those fucking things are money pits and you don't even have to race them for them to be money pits. That is why if you go to a used car dealership and you see a Toyota and Mercedes right next to eachother and they are both about three years old you will find out they are about the same price.
>>
>>67264465
>They sold us all tomorrow, and stole our yesterdays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TH2YVD0RE
>>
>>67269759
I daily drive a 1995 BMW 540 manual that now has over 252,000 miles on it..

sure I've replaced lots of stuff but the drive-line is still ok aside from some pre-ignition .. still gets original sticker MPG 24MPG highway

maybe being 20 years old is the answer they still made stuff fairly well back then.

Plus no electronic accelerator... cable to the throttle plate ftw/.
>>
>>67270083
aww fuck, that was the instrumental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfv55Nix3Is
>>
>>67264465
The entire BOSE line of audio equipment is planned obsolescence. The cords on the earbuds and headphones disintegrate after a year or so if use. What's more the company has known about this fault for over a decade and have not fixed it.
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2502822/bose-ie2-cable-repair-base-earbuds.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGumw57zjA
>>
File: 123843827492.jpg (77 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
123843827492.jpg
77 KB, 700x714
>>67266361

YOu are a stupid fucking retarded piece of shit nigger diei die die you dont have a fat dick washer machine for guciii closthes fucking idoit die die die
>>
I've learned not to put my faith in repairmen. They know about as much as I do or even less.

>Car repairs cost $400
>Do it myself for $150

>Install cable box $50
>Do it myself for free

>Install windows and drivers $80
>Do it myself for free.

Also, buy used. For $900 I can buy 9 used dishwashers built decades ago that are better built and easier to repair.
>>
>>67265627
>mfw you use dick eating machines

>mfw OP is such a stupid fucko that he can't even realize that the marginal cost is outweighing the benefit and he might as well just suck my momma big fat dick
>mfw i have a fat dick sheeeiit niggaa

>mfw no face
>>
>>67269759
being acutal BMW engineer.
FTW if we actually would have the money to developt stuff like "planned obsolence". We just use the cheapest solution for every tehcnical challange. It is not planned, dude, it is just logic.
>>
Yeah, my 20+ yr old washing machine finally broke, and theres literally nothing good (i.e. reliable) on the market atm. After doing some research, its clear these "high efficiency" models are garbage. They don't clean as well as the old agitator models (pillar in the middle) and they break down more often too. You know they're fucking garbage when industrial and laundromat-style washing machines don't use them.

Right now I'm using the laundromat until I see a really good deal somewhere, or find an old or new agitator-type model.
>>
File: 1436716502708.gif (674 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1436716502708.gif
674 KB, 245x180
>>67264995
>Implying American appliances arent worse than cheap Chinese crap
>>
Just handwash the dishes. It's not so hard.
>>
>>67264465
Nobody I know owns a dishwasher what's the point? It takes maximum 10 minutes to wash dishes
>>
>>67264879
Now ovens are made by Chinese slaves and if you want to get into the oven making industry, good fucking luck competing with Whirlpool's prices while giving old style quality assurance.
>>
>>67273224
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Queen

American manufacturing is superior when the market is commercial oriented shit that MUST work. Problem is, its also expensive as hell. I'm considering getting a laundromat-style washer but its like 3x the normal price. Then again they're rated to last around 30 years.
>>
Never seen a dishwasher that really did any good. I'd love one that would get the greasy or caked on food off pots after cooking, but they can't. They are the equivalent of me just rinsing something off after using it.
>>
>>67265343

They used plastic plates/forks.
>>
>>67273417

Yeah... My dishwasher has been in my apartment for 14 years. The person before me never used it; I never use it.

And why the fuck does a dishwasher need a $400 circuit board? How can that be the most expensive part of a $900 washer? An Arduino only costs $35. If OP wasn't so stupid, he could just program his own control board.

Instead of planned obsolescence, he should be worried about planned ignorance. It takes lots of ignorant followers for authoritarianism to take hold...
>>
sup, i pick up scrap metal, recently i took apart the control switches of a few dishwashers and washing machines. the switches were burned out from electrical arcs.
they are not using enough silver in the electrical contacts to prevent arcing.
>>
The free market will fix it.

>inb4 muh regulations

The only regulation concerning dishwashers it that they should have a fuse so that they don't burn your house to the ground.
>>
>>67271797
>this guy
>>
>>67274454
Is arcing when the metal contacts don't touch each other and then electricity jumps from one end to another?

I had an experience with my video card making a crackling noise, and apparently it was caused by the psu cable not connecting snugly with the card. The PSU company said not to be worried about it, but I suppose thats generally a bad thing huh. Seems these companies are cutting corners everywhere.
>>
>>67271797 we
Fucking hell dude...
>he's really going full retard
I pictured a fat goku going super saiyan with an American flag patched cap behind an AR
>>
>>67264465
>using a dishwasher
>mfw
do you have arthritis anon?
>>
>>67264465
Product reviews brother. Planned obsolescence does make everything worse than it should be but you should have bought an old civic over a new fiesta
>>
File: 1410199310710.jpg (77 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1410199310710.jpg
77 KB, 854x859
>>67264465

What the fuck is this bullshit, the OP makes 1 post, doesnt name the company and no one even asks what company makes these shit products.

He didnt even reply, this was a troll? A slide thread? What the fuck /pol/
>>
>>67264879
CONSUMER@!@!

If a company calls you a consumer, you should always take it as an insult. Why?
Consume:
eat, drink, or ingest (food or drink).
and where does food go? that's right. OUT YOUR ASS.

A consumer CONSUMES THINGS AND THEN DISCARDS THEM and in electronics are nowhere near as essential as eating. They would like you to think this, and they have things called CONSUMER ELECTRONICS.

CONSUMER is a term for people with low standards who CONSUME. An entire economy built around people with low standards spending for convenience, spending mindlessly, CONSUMING resources.

and if you point it out? TOO BAD! THEY HAVE A MONOPOLY! A MONOPOLY STACKED TO ONLY PRODUCE CONSUMER GRADE GARBAGE.

This is why we need to bring production back to our country, why we need to bring back the free market and destroy monopolies, why we need to educate people and break them out of this consumer mentality so that companies begin treating us like customers again.

It will be hard because a lot of americans are addicted to the consumer lifestyle and many more still have never been shown the concept of competition between products or that they can actually have quality. We need to show them and then they will learn. In this I have faith.
>>
>>67275871
One thing I've learned is that almost all companies have BAD models. You can't rely on name brand anymore, you have to research specific model #'s to be certain you're not buying a piece of shit.

These days even "good" companies can shit out a bad product for a multitude of reasons which are endless. Supply contracts change, new management takes over, shareholders demanding cost cutting measures, whatever.
>>
>>67275871
they're all like this now.
>>
>>67264465
I'll wash your dishes for 480$ for 9 months m8
>>
File: 99 KB.png (99 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
99 KB.png
99 KB, 250x232
>>67264465
You have to be very careful about buying appliances these days, and never depend on brand names. Things which were good even only a few years ago can quickly begin to cut corners and turn out a shitty product.

Dishwashers are one of the worst offenders. Few will make it past two years of service without breaking down. From what I can gather right now it seems like GE units are the most dependable.
>>
>>67264465
Get the extended warranty
>>
>>67265627
>and wash dishes by hand because it takes like 5 minutes a day and teaches you discipline

Found the dumb bachelor

In families where you have four or more people eating two or three meals at home a day it takes 30 minutes to wash the dishes each time. Doing that twice a day you're wasting an hour you could have been doing other things.

Maybe you should hand wash your clothes too if you're so "disciplined"? It only takes a few minutes, right?
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.