[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'The Walmart of Europe'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: 2057.jpg (56 KB, 1224x735) Image search: [Google]
2057.jpg
56 KB, 1224x735
How Lidl are paying people 24p an hour to sell Europeans £7 jeans

>“Lidl surprises” is the slogan the supermarket currently uses to punningly flog its wares, but it is no surprise to discover that the firm, like many of the British high street retailers, does much of its clothes shopping in Bangladesh, where the minimum legal wage for a garment worker is 23p an hour.

>Sure enough, when the new range launched on Thursday morning at Lidl’s more than 600 UK stores as part of the “We Love Denim” promotion – the word “love” denoted by a denim heart – the labels revealed Bangladesh as the source of the jeans. In a range of sizes and colours, they are dumped higgledy-piggledy in wire baskets at the rear of the store, but even Lidl’s most ardent fans would probably concede that no one seeks out the stores for a retail therapy experience, so there are a few pennies saved on display costs for starters.
The headline-grabbing £5.99 offering is actually a pair of “jeggings” – tight-fitting leggings that resemble jeans. The label says they have a “stylish denim effect”. Cotton-rich fabric (77%), with an elasticated waistband; they have a single button, a YKK zip, two back pockets and two at the front, held together with stitching, no rivets. There is no embroidery on the pockets.
This is all important. Every additional detail adds to the price of the finished item. A breakdown of costs at a Bangladeshi jeans factory published by Bloomberg in 2013 priced a zip at 10p, a button at 4p and rivets at 1p each. Embroidery added another 9p, the pockets 6p and the labels 7p. At these margins, every single penny counts, so it is no surprise to find that the jeggings are pared back to the bone.
>>
>But the Boyfriend Jeans, at £7.99, appear to be the real thing: four pockets plus that baffling little one inside the front pocket on the right of the body (it is a watch pocket, apparently). There are six belt loops, five rivets, three buttons and a YKK zip. And they are made from 100% cotton, the material being the most expensive element of the production process: in the range of £2.30 to £2.50.

>There is thread to pay for too, for the stitching, which might be as much as 19p, and the finished pair will need to be washed, so if we are going to try to put a price on the materials we are probably looking around the £3.90 mark.

>Now we need to assemble those materials. Luckily – for the buyer – that is not nearly as expensive.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/13/lidl-jeans-bangladesh-worker-pay-23p-an-hour
>>
Fuck LIDL. Shop in Aldi.
>>
>>67263655
People buy clothes at Lidl?

Meh, they sell food cheap as fuck, I don't care.
>>
Am I supposed to feel sad? Bangladesh's fault for allowing these practices.
>>
Are people still surprised at this? Why would a company source products that are more expensive?
>>
High taxes means only large companies survive. It needs to be broken up into smaller, competing companies, to offer workers better wages.
>>
I'm willing to pay for quality so I get mine from Primark
>>
File: 1455684296114.webm (3 MB, 404x720) Image search: [Google]
1455684296114.webm
3 MB, 404x720
>>67264552
>mfw i save 150€ every month from the unemployment benefits thanks to Lidl.
>>
>>67263655
I have never been to a lidl I can buy clothes from
>>
>>67264552
I got some cargo / work wear pants there, I buy socks if I see them, who does like a fresh pair of socks? If I was a rich man I'd wear new socks twice a day.
>>
Leftists look at economic efficiency as if it's a bad thing.
>>
who /levi's/ here?
>>
>>67265537

Pennys socks are better and cheaper than Lidl/Aldi
>>
>>67263655

>corporations use sweatshops

More at 11 bongs

thats when Big Ben's clock has the short hand pointing at the XI, and the big hand pointing at the XII
>>
>tfw you buy shit from aldi, matalan, primark
>cheap haircut but style it so it looks much better
>clothes off season so they're always cheap as fuck
>gym membership to boost general health and well-being

Why are people so reluctant to take the smart living redpill? It kills me to see people pay 5.99 for a mcdonalds or 20 fucking pounds for a domino's pizza
>>
Who the fuck buys non-food at lidl
That being said lidl is actually quite local focused on products here
Originally they would haul over most products from Germany but now they're producing most products here in the country itself
>>
>>67266508
Isn't that like a literal plague in Britain?My friends in Glasgow would eat expensive trash and then moan about acne.
>>
>>67266648
ALDI is better for those who live alone. LIDL mostly sells goods in big amounts.
>>
>>67266508
>falling for the gym membership meme
if you aren't lifting then it's a waste of money imo

people literally spend hundreds of quid a year to run, when they could just run outside free of charge
>>
>>67265360
Weekly offer?
>>
>>67266131
Yeah, I got some Wilson socks in Pennys a while back, that's a good sock. The socks aren't bad Lidl or Aldi. If I'm there anyway I might grab a pair. /sockchat
>>
>>67265981
>german buying jeans from a company founded by Jews

not surprised desu
>>
>>67266508
Food just falls under general YOLO consumerism because cooking from ingredients is a foreign concept to a lot of millenials
>>
>>67264552
Here you can see poor bydlos and Bosnians going early at the crack of dawn buying clothes and rushing out. You can see the shame on their faces as they exit.
>>
File: ellen degeneres.png (743 KB, 840x798) Image search: [Google]
ellen degeneres.png
743 KB, 840x798
>>67263655
>higgledy-piggledy
>>
>>67263655
The Ballad of Lidl & Aldi. Sums up the shopping experience perfectly.

https://youtu.be/cL7jyXCQ2Zc
>>
I buy shit on lidl. They also have the best Bratwurst in stores in Sweden.
>>
File: 1434838488001.png (547 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1434838488001.png
547 KB, 900x600
>ALDI
>LIDL

Ja gib me more money
>>
>>67266812

I lift, going to a gym to run is retarded unless you're a fatfat who is ashamed of their body
>>
>>67263655
I used to work at Lidl, fucking hated it
>>
File: tumblr_mh3kplFOTI1qdvatvo1_500.jpg (26 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mh3kplFOTI1qdvatvo1_500.jpg
26 KB, 500x290
>TFW shop at Waitrose

Come at me
>>
I got a pair of trainers there that were made in Austria. Unusual as most cheap clothes are Asian made.
>>
>>67269485
i can imagine how hard it must be to deal with all the fucking bitch cunt customers
>>
>Push for higher wages
>No longer profitable to manufacture in Bangladesh
>Manufacturing jobs return to Britain where they're swiftly automated
>Bangladeshis go back to subsistence farming and dying every time it doesn't rain enough, or rains too much or just randomly

Remember: these people generally aren't being rounded up and forced to work in clothing factories, they offer a much better standard of living than that which existed before.
>>
>>67270134
Pleb detected. What's your excuse for not exclusively shopping at M&S? Benefits not come through this month?
>>
>>67263655
Isn't Asda owned by Walmart?
>>
>>67271894
You can't really do all your food shopping at M&S (at least, I couldn't when I worked in the UK in 2014), the range is pretty limited for general household supplies and groceries. They do have some wonderful speciality items but I generally had my weekly shop delivered by Ocado and stopped off at M&S after work for the extras. Do they still do the carbonated apple juice in champagne bottles?
>>
>>67268079
It's a thing we say, it means 'random' or 'randomly'
>>
I don't get the point of this thread?
are you saying working cheap is bad?
is this reddit?
>>
BASED LYDL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pVsoI7hY0
>>
I've put on 2 stone since my mum started shopping at Lidl/Aldi.
Before that she shopped at Sainsbury's.
>>
>>67263655
you can't have cheap clothes and not have terrible working conditions. I work in an american nylon factory and they barely let me go to the bathroom, I breathe in oil mist and burning plastic fumes all day, and it is common for workers to get bronchitis maybe like 2-4 times a year, and the heat is so bad that it's common for people to straight up pass out from it. factories are shit everywhere not just bangladesh, and if it is a cheap product you're selling, that cut has to come from somewhere. not convinced this place is a godsend.
>>
>>67273043
I seem to recall their cheese straws (Krusti Kroc) being delicious by British standards. Either for health or cost reasons it seems like you can't get a good cheese straw elsewhere in Britain.
>>
>>67270134
>>TFW shop at Waitrose
Average supermarket in Poland like B1 has wider assortment of food, beer(from places like Japan, Germany, France), sweets(again from places like Germany, Italy) than Waitrose.
You have been deceived...
>>
File: 1457871821261.gif (2 MB, 429x338) Image search: [Google]
1457871821261.gif
2 MB, 429x338
>>67272983
Based Lidol indeed.
>>
>>67270134
>he doesn't shop at Fortnums
Pleb
>>
File: 1355840552001.jpg (78 KB, 700x638) Image search: [Google]
1355840552001.jpg
78 KB, 700x638
>>67263655

>krauts
>virtual slave labour

Never change, Germany. Lidl rocks!
>>
This happening in the UK ? For real ?.
>>
>>67263655
in my city lidl pay 140k huf tesco 105k................................
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.