[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /pol/ believe that a person should be judged by character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_20160313-002116~2.jpg (376 KB, 1200x1345) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160313-002116~2.jpg
376 KB, 1200x1345
Does /pol/ believe that a person should be judged by character and actions alone, or does /pol/ believe that a person's overall worth is inextricably affected by that person's ethnic background?

Pic related; the former will agree with the wall of text, while the latter will call the author a cuck.
>>
>>67213319
>>
>>67213319
Actions are the only thing that matters.
>>
File: Jackson.jpg (345 KB, 610x739) Image search: [Google]
Jackson.jpg
345 KB, 610x739
>>67213319
Both.
Here's why
Your first question is phrased as belief in an ideal.
"Should"
Should people be judged only on merit? Yes. That is what I whole heartedly believe.
However, your second part is not a "should" question, it is a "does" question, meaning in a pragmatic sense does it occur.
And it does occur.
People are affected by their ethnic background, that is reality of the world that we have to deal with.
>>
>>67213319
What a person does is what defines their character. If a person does something wrong, then until that is atoned for through realization of the mistake and an effort to change you are still the piece of shit people perceive you as. This "people don't change" attitude is ridiculous; people can and do change and become better versions of themselves.

For me, personally, race has nothing to do with an evaluation of merit. Dr Ben Carson is a black neurosurgeon. He saves lives and aids humanity as a whole through his work, research and service to society beyond his practical medical work. Some somali immigrant given the opportunity to contribute but instead fucking around a system is a piece of shit.

tl;dr - people change and the color of your skin is not what makes you trash.
>>
>>67213840
That's a fair answer, although I don't like all of the implications. It seems to lend credence to the liberal (as in American liberalism) notion which justifies the creation of systems to retroactively advantage some peoples over others, in deference to their background, a notion which I hold responsible for a great deal of injustice and inefficiency both.
>>
>>67213319
My thought process has always been closer to that guy's. It's a little different though
>see person
>keep the worst in mind (stereotypes, etc)
>never act on that until you know they fit the stereotype based on their character and actions and treat them well
>if they've been judged to be a good person for a period of time, drop any such prejudice of that person

I think living life without prejudice in today's world is dangerous. You really don't know anyone or who they are. It's not personal or even racial, it's just realizing people act in packs like animals to similar behavior. Weather or not it's biological predisposition or cultural, I don't really care. Until I know you, I'm going to expect the worst but will always be a good person until I really know you're a shit person who fits a negative stereotype.
>>
>>67214616
The issue is this.
Once you have establish a system of inequality, and conditioned people into it, how do you create a system of equality?
Any attempt to remove one system of equality generally provides the answer of fight inequality with more inequality.
Our feelings on the matter are not relevant to the existence of such a structure.
Peoples at one point in time were disenfranchised and are using that suffering to demand the disenfranchisement of others
It is a never ending game of an eye for an eye, but the majority of people are superficial enough to go along with it.

That is the reality of the world.
We cannot change it any more than you can change a deciduous tree into a coniferous
The best strategy is to adapt to the world and live within its rules as best as possible until a way to change it (should that ever happen) come about.
>>
>>67215244
>Once you have establish a system of inequality, and conditioned people into it, how do you create a system of equality?
I argue that you don't look to the "system" as a source of equality at all, but instead refrain from placing artificial barriers in front of anyone and wait for rational self-interest to work its magic.
>>
Problem is a person doesn't have time to assess every person on the street for their merit and deeds. Looks are, unfortunately, the best that people can go on sometimes.

t. honestly racist but wish I wasn't
>>
>>67216749
Not possible
Such a thing already exists.
Once you have a nuclear bomb how do you remove the nuclear material from it without having somewhere else to put the nuclear material?
We may not like it, but the system exists.
If you remove the system you still have the people who were conditioned to the system who will want the return of the system and will warp the world you give them back into the system they were used to.
Some people cannot be unplugged from the Matrix
>>
>>67217146
>Not possible
>Such a thing already exists
Elaborate.

To clarify, I've assumed that when we say "system" we mean "codified set of consciously established rules" as opposed to "how things juat are".
>>
>>67217761
Affirmative action laws and in infamous Title IX act to benefit minorities and women.
If you take them away those people will feel "disadvsntaged" rather not just not being unfairly advantaged and will fight to get their advantage back or in any other way get back at those they now feel got something out of it.
Evidence: Feminism and College Admissions
Females used to receive a plethora of affirmative action to get into colleges.
Today more women go to college than men
So colleges are starting to give the affirmative action points to men.
Feminism is in a uproar demanding that this not occur and the advantage stay with women despite not needing it.
Because they are used to having it their way and will not give up the system
>>
>>67218395
Source on the AA swing? Not doubting just curious. All in all surprising thread though, well thought out positions and responses.
The issue I run into is that as a race we seem to have stopped treating ourselves scientifically; we have the human genome project, the ability to test and gather research material on humans is higher than ever, yet we don't seem to be interested in learning more. IS there a link between ethnicity and behaviour? ARE there genetic markers for abberant behaviour? One would think that both sides of the debate would want answers. It's depressing to me to see politically like-minded people settle for instinctual racism and religious stubbornness while rivals and detractors look to anthropologists opining we are all one to sweep the questions under the rug. But then that seems to be the nature of modern societal arguments. Establish starting positions and then eternally hold that ground. No progress, no debate. Look not just at race relations but environmental issues, information and surveilance, hell we've been "arguing" about abortion for nearly 50 years!? Im inclined to think it's not the way people are naturally. It is conditioning. All these other questions can be worked though, but I don't think that can happen until the current mechanisms of authority are changed/replaced
>>
the quality of life drops as the shit skin population rises

all shit skins should be caged into africa and left to build pyramids and ufos together. in peace
>>
>>67220122
http://www.fed-soc.org/publications/detail/affirmative-action-for-men-strange-silences-and-strange-bedfellows-in-the-public-debate-over-discrimination-against-women-in-college-admissions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvuLuLarr0
I'll keep looking for more sources
>>
>>67221537
Appreciated. Ill have to do some digging too this cought me completely off guard
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.