[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is piracy wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: stolen-ham.jpg (12 KB, 229x277) Image search: [Google]
stolen-ham.jpg
12 KB, 229x277
>don't mind me, just pirating this ham
>>
>>67085973
So you're going to share that ham with everyone then?
>>
>>67085973
Software and Media aren't physical items, so you can't even compare the two.
>>
ok, after you make your copy of it, put the original back where you got it

otherwise that's theft, you moron
>>
>>67085973
What if you just took a copy of the ham, but the store got to keep the ham to sell to someone else?
>>
shitpost nostalgia

sage
>>
>>67086021
>>67086030
>>67086045
>>67086160
just wait until 3d printers become ubiquitous
downloaded ham when
>>
File: 01.png (157 KB, 317x400) Image search: [Google]
01.png
157 KB, 317x400
Yeah its pretty much just copying rather than stealing, you aren't taking something away from someone

If ham was torrent-able we could end world hunger
>>
>>67086030
A service is also not a physical item. Yet, if I were to invite a maid into my home under the pretense that I will pay her to clean up, and then throw her out on the curb when she's done without any more, that is clearly wrong. People work to develop the software you are pirating, and when you don't pay for that software, you are taking money from them.
>>
>>67085973
Why did you take the ham instead of taking a copy of it?
>>67086307
>>just wait until 3d printers become ubiquitous
You wouldnt download a loli right /pol/?
>>
>>67086325
>liberatarians hate giving to others
>love piracy

Libertarians are literal gibsmedat niggers.
>>
>>67086387
software is not a service
>>
>>67086307
3d printed ham would change the world
>>
>>67086549
What the hell makes you think i'm a libertarian? I posted a picture of Joe Biden for Christ's sake

Kill yourself leafnigger
>>
>make painting
>invite friends to my house
>show them my painting
>"that'll be 4.99 please!"
>>
>>67086689
You're being purposefully obtuse; just because software is not a traditional physical commodity, nor a service, doesn't mean it isn't a commodity worth money, that can be stolen.
>>
>>67086387
i wouldnt buy their software if i couldnt torrent it.
>>
if you make over 100k a year then $ doesn't matter anymore unless you want a super mansion and only the best cars/boats etc

people like that don't need $, so it's okay to pirate music and movies and the like, but a video game developer is often poor and they make things a lot of us really love and spend hundreds of hours on, so pirating video games = bad

rules and laws are just written texts or spoken words, the world runs because you and I let it. none of us want to spend $1,000 to fill up our iphones with every song we love and most musicians have literally millions of $.

basically don't pirate if you like someone's work and they're poor like you
>>
>>67086773
My apologies, freedomfat. I assumed you were a libertardian, as they commonly hold self-contradictory views regarding property rights and piracy.

If you are some kind of leftist, I commend you for being self-consistent, if nothing else.
>>
>>67087063
>obtuse
bullshit

you can't copy a haircut

you CAN copy an ebook

software is not a service
>>
>>67087063
But it's not stolen it's pirated, which is just a colloquialism for "copying something without permission" a crime as old as patent laws.
>>
>>67085973
>>>/v/
>>
>>67087270
Software is not a haircut, either. If anything, software is like akin to an academic paper. Try "pirating" that and see how far it gets you.
>>
>>67086786
lol
>>
>>67087267
It's only self contradictory if you are already in a statist fiefdom granting mindset.
>>
>>67087303
Software is more like tools than books because it performs a function you would be burdened to do on your own.
>>
>>67087477
https://sci-hub.io/
>>
>>67087654
But it's not theft. It's copyright infringement, which is already illegal, so why compare it to theft?
>>
Download a movie. Rob a Jew.
>>
>hate leftists

>support piracy

Every single time. This board is full of little kids.
>>
I pirate because if i don't, im just never going to watch the movie anyway. I dont pay for movies and music. So theyre not losing money on me. Just pretend like i don't exist.
>>
Sure. I don't care.
>>
File: 1451168163632.jpg (223 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1451168163632.jpg
223 KB, 640x640
>>67085973
>Is piracy wrong?
i don't care, to me it's merely illegal because the govt will fuck me up over it

if i pirate media i end up liking i buy that media. it's why i have fuck all hours played on my Steam library

too many shitty games are released without demos
>>
>>67088840
Video games are for children.
>>
>>67089066
So is 4chan.
>>
File: 1456319192702.jpg (312 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1456319192702.jpg
312 KB, 1280x960
>>67089066
i'm an unemployed millennial posting on 4chan, deal with it faggot
>>
>>67089197
Whats the reasoning behind that?
>>
>>67085973
It depends on what you mean by piracy.
>>
>>67089345
Arrr ahoy matey
>>
Literally torrenting factorio right now :^)
>>
File: 1434137608154.jpg (54 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1434137608154.jpg
54 KB, 700x500
Piracy =/= pirating
>>
>>67085973
I think it's detrimental but I do it anyway. Before piracy I never bought any movies or tv shows anyway. Most games these days aren't even worth pirating either.
>>
>>67085973
Well, with internet piracy the owner doesn't loose the original copy so it's not really "stealing"
>>
>Dietz and Watson
>>
File: 1457701184399.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
1457701184399.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>>67087244

You sir are a retard.
>>
>>67089197
Sick burn brah

Do we really want a government chasing people that make copies of 1s and zeros? Surely there are real problems in the world.
>>
>>67086762
I imagine the future will be a store where you just order a stack of food blocks to put into your food printer instead of a fridge.
They will have printers that print printers by then so the cost will be equal to the raw materials and after a few decades when all the fancy tech is payed off everyone will just 3d print whatever food they want. Certain blends will be subscription based and you'll be charged for using copyrighted hams or honey hams. People will make honey hams that are composed of similar ingredients but are one percent off or something so they can fool the processing A.I.
>>
>>67089814
Can you break the law with mathmatics?
>>
>>67090937
Yeah, mathematically prove 6 million jews didn't die and you'll find yourself in prison in a lot of countries.
>>
>>67087244
>people like that don't need $,
>so it's okay to pirate music and movies and the like
>video game developer is often poor and they make things a lot of us really love and spend >hundreds of hours on, so pirating video games = bad
Money goes to a corporation not a person. If you think you can figure out, or want to figure out, if your money is going to support your local friendly poor indie dev gamer who spends all his money at whole foods or somebody with a 5 million dollar apartment in new york then you deserve that right.
Me, I know it doesn't matter when games employ the hard work of hundred to thousands to produce one title.
>>
So you're making a copy of the ham? Sounds good to me, seed me a slice.
>>
>>67085973
>just pirating this ham
kek'd pretty hard at that one.

No. You can't copy a ham without affecting the value and quality of the original ham copy.

I believe it's the responsibly of the software/media distributed to protect their own property. If it gets leaked or can be easily cracked then there is nothing one can do about it once the cat is out of the bag.

That being said I avoid cracked software where possible.

This is one of those things that should be thought of as morally permissible but not morally praise worthy.
>>
>>67091130
Why are you strayas always on the fucking money? How much do you get paid to shitpost?
>>
>>67085973
Nope. Until we somehow reach internet ascension or something, it's only wrong when they can actually control it because it's far too easy.
>>
>>67085973
>he made an exact replica of the ham and took it
>the ham is still on the stall
>someone owns the IP to the ham
>he went threw a third party ham trafficker to get it
i dont think so tim
>>
>>67091622
>How much do you get paid to shitpost?
That's protected by an NDA, they can't afford to let their secrets out regardless how little. They're tight asses like that.
>>
>>67085973
If you compare copying an item to actually stealing an item you are a moron. The funny thing about piracy is that it actually help things sale. The download a few songs and if they think the album is good they buy it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21856720
>>
>>67090802
People will just hack the operating system, they won't play by the rules. You'll be able to print whatever hams and ham accessories you want, for free, by simply flashing the printer's bios or whatever gives you control. The program you end up using will be some sort of open-source thing made by some dude in his spare time.

You own the hardware, tough shit for the manufacturer to prevent you from doing what you want with it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.