[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one reason why we should not support 15 an hour for fast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: manager.jpg (36 KB, 417x363) Image search: [Google]
manager.jpg
36 KB, 417x363
Give me one reason why we should not support 15 an hour for fast food employees
>>
>>66979267
Because then the cost of their food will just increase to make up for the money they are losing to pay the employees and/or they will fire people, increasing the unemployment rate.
>>
Their job just isn't worth that salary.
Unless you devaluate the dollar.
>>
>>66979267

because you'll get us to automated restaurants faster
>>
>>66979267
Nobody actually thinks we shouldn't. /pol/ is a satire board.
>>
>>66979267
>enlisted military make less than $15/hr
>many EMTs make less than $15/hr
>many Cops make less than $15/hr
>many Firefighters make less than $15/hr

And you want fucking burger flipping non-contributors to society that will be replaced by machines in 15-20 years anyways to be fucking more than people who perform essential service to society at large?
>>
>>66979267

Because fast food companies cannot pay for it
If they really are forced to pay 15 an hour, their food prices will significantly increase and/or they will not employ as many people, which ultimately has the opposite effect to what bernie wants (since he thinks it somehow will create more jobs)

Bernie seems to think that companies have infinite money and can easily afford to both pay more and employ more
>>
>>66979267
>$15/hr for degenerates
Bernie pls go.
>>
Actual fast food worker here. The problem with $15/hr is that people will actually want this job and keep it for long periods of time, destroying the opportunities for teenagers who are just starting out in the job market. The food itself will also be much more expensive.

It is a completely shitty job but deserving in its low wages.
>>
File: mcdonalds machines .jpg (57 KB, 620x457) Image search: [Google]
mcdonalds machines .jpg
57 KB, 620x457
>machines are replacing them

Get ready for the automation revolution, you Bernie fags won't be of any use then
>>
>>66980251
>>66979779

These, OP
>>
>>66979694
>Nobody actually thinks we shouldn't.

Nobody should actually support giving a higher wage to people in such a basic job. Fast food is for kids just out of/still in school that need an entry job, or something to support college, etc, it's not for people to work their lives away in.
>>
>>66979267
Because you're artificially inflating wages... which is bad because free market systems will adjust around this inflated wage.

>WAAAAH I MAKE 15 DOLLARS AN HOUR NOW, BUT I'M JUST AS POOR RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE TO 25 DOLLARS!
>>
>>66979267
I have worked in fast food.
I quit and got a job next door.

The end.
>>
>>66979267

Because they don't all deserve it.
>>
If you live somewhere where the cost of living is pretty low, this would pretty much destroy the benefits of living there. Everyone will want more than the fast food baseline, because there is no appeal of doing the job if I can go work at a fast food chain for greater/equal pay. All the small businesses with set contracts would get fucked.

I ran parents small business for a few years. Most of our bids don't get renegotiated frequently. Large wage increase would mean we would need to reevaluate every bid and submit a new one. The bids go to fairly large companies that would likely reject the bid and just ship the work to a different country. Our niche was essentially being in close proximity of the companies and offering a competitive price with a quick turnaround.
>>
>>66979267

Because thenci want a raise too. I make 45 and hour now. If they raise theirs why wont they raise mine?

That and ill just atop eatin fastfood which is probably better for me...
>>
Because it would hurt more than help
>>
File: minimumwage.jpg (81 KB, 1021x280) Image search: [Google]
minimumwage.jpg
81 KB, 1021x280
>>66979267
>>
File: 1387670317488.jpg (13 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
1387670317488.jpg
13 KB, 224x216
>>66979950
>
where do you work, fellow fast food slave? mcdonalds here.
>>
File: 1438125283338.jpg (8 KB, 187x218) Image search: [Google]
1438125283338.jpg
8 KB, 187x218
15$/hr is insane, I would love to see min wage by a bit, But that is approaching double the current min. wage, the effects are gonna be disastrous

as a working poorfag collegestudent I'm happy with the 10$/hr seasonal jobs I take, I wouldn't take a primary job that takes less at this point, But the menial shit most jobs of that paygrade entail really just cannot justify a 50% pay increase for no raisin.
>>
>>66979779
>enlisted military make less than $15/hr
>many EMTs make less than $15/hr
>many Cops make less than $15/hr
>many Firefighters make less than $15/hr

''many'' ? Can anyone add more info because I don't believe it. You're telling me a brand new cop patrolling Detroit on graveyard shift gets paid less than 15$ an hour ?
>>
>>66981094
You will take one later though. Say what you will, but you better plan well to avoid it because it is the most likely of outcomes.

That said, $15 min is asinine and I can't figure how people don't understand inflation.
>>
>>66979779
>"burger flipping non-contributors to society"
>implying making the best food in the world isn't contributing to society
>>
>>66979779
>implying that all those people aren't underpaid
>>
>>66979779
Pretty much this, it's the people who make $10-15 an hour who will be fucked the hardest by $15 min wage.
>>
>>66979578
this is an argument in favour of a $15/hr wage
>>
>>66979267
Because burgers will cost more.
Burger tempel is not a 5 star restaurant with the prices.
>>
>>66979267
When they can push the correct button to dispense the drink I asked for, then maybe.
>>
>>66979267
Microwaving/frying food isn't close to a $15/hr job. I know people that work at factories making shit like trains and buses that make a little over $15/hr.
>>
>>66979267
They are already paid over $18 per hour in here.

>inb4 everything is expensive in Australia
Nah, it is only because AUD is weak at the moment.
>>
is there any issue with the minimum wage being tied to the minimum cost of living and updated yearly? I never took an economics course but the method seems sound..
>>
>>66979267
its a unrealistic wage to give to a entry level job. EMTs hardly make that much and anyone would agree that job is much more important.
>>
It encourages people to be useless
>>
File: 1428512060896.jpg (84 KB, 750x709) Image search: [Google]
1428512060896.jpg
84 KB, 750x709
>>66979267
>went to a vocational school
>get job
>make less than burger flipping dan at mcjewnalds
no thanks, i had to get an education (no matter how low and pointless it was) to get my job to be out earned by some highschool faggot
if they raise the minimum wage then mine should be proportionally higher or ill be forced to sell rocks and kill niggers for pleasure
>>
>>66981619
Why the fuck is Entry-level job even a fucking thing, job should be a job regardless of how much skill is involved into it.

it's person X being compensated for Y hours he is on the job, more skilled people get more compensation because they lost more hours learning.
>>
>>66981557

>at the moment

When will you ausfags realise that your dollerydoos aren't a real currency and never will be
>>
>>66979267
I actually encourage increasing the minimum wage since it encourages more illegal alien job opportunities
>>
>>66979865
>working fast food makes you a degenerate

let me guess, you don't even have a job
>>
>>66981619
So fucking tired of this shitty argument. I don't even support raising the minimum wage that much; certainly it needs to be raised somewhat and I'd *like* to see it turn into a living wage eventually, but not until the effects on the economy are better understood. But that's a practical concern, not an ethical one.

It's a hard, tiring job. Most minimum wage jobs are. Nobody who works a hard, tiring job full-time should have to take on a second one just to scrape together enough to live on. "EMTs work even harder and require more training!" is an argument for paying EMTs significantly more, not for paying fast food workers a fucking pittance.
>>
I do think minimum wage should be increased a slight amount to compensate for inflation, but nowhere near a 90% increase.
>>
>>66979267

Because I will do it for 8-9.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-11-02-33-16.png (465 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-11-02-33-16.png
465 KB, 1080x1920
>>66981085
Holy fuck. I have a decent blue collar job. If I keep it until I'm journeymen I could leave after 5 years in a trade, with all the money wasted on training me and I'd have enough in investments and savings that I could own a house. I did like little ceasers.
Fight for 15 muh fugga
>>
Because once inflation occurs, those screaming for 15 now, will be screaming for 20 along with all those new folks who used to get by on 15.

Business will never take the expense. They cannot be forced. They pass the expense to the very same people getting the pay increase.

We end up right back where we started, but now we've harmed the people who originally made 15 an hour, because the buying power of their dollar has been diminished.

Why hurt those making it with 15 so the poor can end up just as poor.
>>
>>66979267
because high school kids don't need 15$ an hour. If you have the job past high school, you already failed and its nobodys fault but your own.
>>
>>66981951
Fast food requires ZERO skill, it doesn't matter if your fat ass gets tired from doing it. All work is tiring, that isn't an argument. Fast food isn't a career, it's a job for younger people to make money and learn some work ethic. If you're making a career out of McDonald's, or even worse trying to raise a family, you're a fuckup of the highest order. Put on a fucking condom until you get a real job.
>>
>>66980603
Average age of a fast food worker is 29. Average, means like half are over that age. There is a shit ton of idiots and they need to live to or else they will start robbing and killing everyone else.

The real solution is population control. We need to start sterilizing people in huge numbers, starting with those that can't raise a child properly anyway.
>>
>>66981557
>They are already paid over $18 per hour in here.
how much is average rent or housing cost? I bet its a lot higher.
>>
>>66981772
is that how you run your business, or just how you think everyone else should run theirs?
>>
>>66979779
in 10 years we will have Robocops
>>
>>66979694
>Le epique Satire maymay
>>
>>66982560
>There is a shit ton of idiots and they need to live to or else they will start robbing and killing everyone else.
maybe they should consider a better paying job for fucks sake. you can make more money mowing lawns
>>
>>66982352
Unfortunately, we don't live in a utopia yet, and not everybody's lucky enough to be born with the resources to climb the ladder. With a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck, some people are able to pull themselves up; some capable people are still left behind. And let's not kid ourselves, plenty of people, easily millions, simply lack the innate drive and intelligence to do so. Plenty of people aren't capable of making anything of themselves. Even if they were, and literally everybody had the potential to be a surgeon, a businessman, or an engineer, we'd still need housekeepers, factory workers, waiters, janitors, and so on. That's how it's gonna be until we're capable of fully automating every menial task, which probably isn't going to happen in our lifetime, if it ever does.

Some people who have the potential to do better are still going to end up having to make a career out of minimum wage jobs. That's just how it is. Denying that just makes you look petty and naive.

Difference between us is I'd like to see everybody, both those who can do better and those who can't, get a reasonably comfortable (not extravagant) standard of living without having to work their fingers to the fucking bone. Because I'm not a fucking asshole. Laziness is a sin. Stupidity etc isn't.

That's the ideal to strive for, of course; reality doesn't always cooperate. But we should always be moving in that direction.
>>
>>66982806
And Tumblr will still be flippin' shit when one shoots a black guy
>>
File: 1452224154943.jpg (56 KB, 550x960) Image search: [Google]
1452224154943.jpg
56 KB, 550x960
>>66979267

I work as a pharmacy technician, I make about $15 per hour. My job is essentially not that different from working at McDonalds, except that the cheeseburgers are considerably more complicated to make, and you can actually kill someone if you give them the wrong cheeseburger. It's a similar work environment, however the nature of the work is more specialized and requires special training. Thus, I earn more money than a fast food worker, which is a position that requires no special training and can be learned almost instantaneously by nearly anyone.

The difference between a $9.00/hr fast food job and a $15.00/hr pharmacy job is a moderate amount of training and a certification which proves I understand how to do the job I'm being paid for. That's what $15.00/hr is worth. A $15.00/hr job is basically a job that, while not overly complicated, requires that you invest some time and effort into learning how to do something that you couldn't just hire someone off the street to do. A minimum wage job, by contrast, is just that: a minimum. A fast food job can be done by literally anyone with virtually no training. These jobs are of minimum value, the people who do them have minimum training, minimum skills, minimum qualifications, and usually don't put more than a minimum amount of effort into their work. They deserve a minimum wage, not a living wage.

I have worked a lot of shit-tier foodservice jobs, and for a while I was on board with all that "Fight for Fifteen" crap. Eventually I learned that it's not anywhere near as hard to get ahead in America as these whiny faggots make it out to be. If you want $15/hr, learn to do something that makes you worth $15 per hour. If you want more than $15/hr, then make yourself worth more. That's how shit works.

$15/hr is not that hard of a wage to get, if you can learn how to work and not just stand around demanding that someone hand it to you. Suck it up, quit being a whiny faggot, and improve yourself.
>>
>>66982978
you know there are other jobs that they could in which they could climb faster correct? It's also a difference of not applying for better jobs, not taking internships or opportunity's. There's also the fact that people just get comfortable and do not want to move forward. There is always ways to move forward but you either have to look for them and/or take them.
>>
The problem is that minimum wage is not locked to inflation .
>>
>>66984384
True, but most of this inflation came from bailing out companies and such instead of letting them fall. Basically the American economy is going to crash we just put a band-aid on it for a while
>>
>>66979476
This, to be quite honest.
McRonalds has already started implementing self order kiosks in their stores.

When the cost of automation is less than the cost of labour, the robot wins every time.
>>
You /pol/tards get dumber by the day.

The $15 minimum wage is a few years off. And since the minimum wage goes up every year, it probably would have reached $15 anyway.

But since someone said "let's make minimum wage $15 in a few years", we now have retards like you going on about:

>muh free market
>muh undervalued dollar
>muh automated worker
>muh the $500 billion dollar corporation can't afford it, despite surviving every other minimum wage increase for the last 100 years
>>
File: 1436955676480.png (195 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
1436955676480.png
195 KB, 500x342
https://youtu.be/Wtlidz_pp7s
>>
>>66979267
idk, we've had it here for ever and there's still fastfood chains that make massive profits and plenty of people who work there.

American views are once again completely self centered and ignore any possible solution from outside their borders.
>>
>>66979267

The dollar menu is gone nigga
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.