[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it such a taboo to talk about salaries? Is it a corporate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: about_salaries_0_standard.jpg (17 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
about_salaries_0_standard.jpg
17 KB, 355x355
Why is it such a taboo to talk about salaries? Is it a corporate ploy in order to make the workers not unite and demand higher wages?
>>
>>66978478

refugee here i get 1200€ for free every month but i barely get by because i send over half of it back to my brother.

No idea how i should survive here. Hope i find a GF soon and move in with her.
>>
>>66978478
I dunno, I don't like it tho, its enabling judgemental behaviour and attitudes
>>
File: 1446427093578.jpg (80 KB, 610x665) Image search: [Google]
1446427093578.jpg
80 KB, 610x665
>>66978542
Poor bait.
>>
>>66978478
it's called "fuck you". seriously.

boss likes you and has common trout interest - sees your potential as a new hire. pays you more than joeblo who's been there 5 years. fuck you joeblo.

raises come around - joeblo been putting in 10 hours a day covering for bosses fishing buddy's slack. joeblo gets a smaller raise than bosses slacker fishing buddy. fuck you joeblo.
>>
Pretty much, saying that I own a few subways and I had trouble retaining staff, so I increased the wages to £10 an hour. Costs me an extra £700 a week but now I know people will show up for me to wagecuck them.
>>
Talking salaries in the work place can not only lead to social division, but also perverts what they call the price discovery mechanism in a free market, undermining the ability of the corporation to pay more for the people they really want and less for the people who aren't going to make a stir for better pay. I understand where the employer is coming from in terms of maintaining a competetive advantage against other employers who follow the same practice, and in wanting to issue pay according to value, but it does preclude to some degree a fair market.

As an employee, I think it's a step in a good direction to have anonymous backchannels for getting a grip on what the actual salary levels for a given position are in order to get a better sense for the initial salary negotiation process without directly compromising the status quo in a chaotic fashion.
>>
>>66978478
>Is it a corporate ploy in order to make the workers not unite and demand higher wages?

Yes. Every time workers start discussing wages openly they come to the conclusion that the majority of them are underpaid.
>>
File: 1443099847010.png (94 KB, 410x359) Image search: [Google]
1443099847010.png
94 KB, 410x359
Because everyone is paid differently and if everyone talked people will know if they're worth more or less. It would be a free market, the bigwigs don't want that.

Or worse, people find out all the x demographic earns 5k a year more. That's illegal and would result in a lawsuit, but there's precious few other ways to retain women in jobs they naturally hate.
>>
Its taboo because among fellow staff doing the same job, if you find out dickless dave earns 2 bucks more an hour because he golfs with the boss every third sunday despite doing shit all actual work companies implode. That notion then extends into general company.

Basically its taboo because if workers start discussing wages and congregating you get collective bargaining, which is bad for business but generally good for workers.
>>
>>66979366
yeah I have noticed that two of my female friends in the "programming and engineering field" have gotten higher salaries than two of my other male friends. Pretty interesting if you ask me. I might be applying for the same job that one of the female ones has and she says she gets 49k, whereas male at the same company, albeit a different (and more highly skilled job in my opinion), gets only 45k. The woman is also black

I wonder what I'll get
>>
>>66979628
Did you friend negotiate at all? Men are generally more aggressive when it comes to salary negotiations, pay rises, bonuses, etc. This can cause problems for companies in the long term because if you give a woman and a man the same starting salary, after 5 years and the same number of promotions the man will probably be earning more than the woman due to being more aggressive about money. An easy way to "solve" this is to give women higher starting salaries.
>>
>>66979570
>collective bargaining, which is bad for business but generally good for workers.
Yup. I once fetched my paycheck from the mailroom on my way to a conference, so relative new guy "Joe" asks if he can see it because he's curious what I make considering I hold a position of relative authority and value. Joe laughs and can't understand why his pay is higher than mine.

On the other hand, one day I told my boss I was going to leave I got paid $X (in the tens) thousands of dollars more per year because I needed enough for retirement, and boss immediately agreed. So that tells you something about negotiating.
>>
>>66979760
I dunno about the man, but the girl said she put 55k as desired, the dude put 50k. She said they just threw 49k at her in the meeting and she was flustered and took it. I don't know about the man.

I put 50k as well. Fuck me.
Any tips for when discussing salaries in person? These numbers were just entered online
>>
>>66979900
I also don't really want the job, but I need to get a job.
It's "Tier 3 tech support" and hopefully I don't kill myself
"technical solutions analyst"
>>
>>66979760
That's sexist and the actual answer is that women compete harder, because that's how the ideal free market works.
>>
>>66980020
But women typically aren't as aggressive. I don't see how it's sexist to state the truth about sexual differences. Like how men aren't as good at memorizing details of objects in a room
>>
>>66980149
Then by the power of the free market they'll either become aggressive or deserve less pay.

BTW everyone gets shit for being assertive, it's pushy or bossy for women or aggressive/opinionated for men. People do this because confident people are a threat, so they'll take your confident game face you had in your interview and wrap it right around....

... Unless you're Asian. Only Asians are allowed to be confident.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.