[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said that the FBIļæ½
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 56e06d5dc46188b8048b45c1.jpg (107 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
56e06d5dc46188b8048b45c1.jpg
107 KB, 900x500
>>NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said that the FBIā€™s claim to need Apple to unlock the iPhone a San Bernardino shooter is a sham.
>>The FBI says that only Apple has the ability to crack the work phone left behind by the San Bernardino terrorists, and last month convinced a federal judge to compel the tech giant to write a custom operating system with intentionally weakened security mechanisms. Apple is refusing to do so, and said that it is willing to take the fight to the Supreme Court.
>>Over a video link appearance at Blueprint for a Great Democracy conference on Tuesday, Snowden took Appleā€™s side.
>>ā€œThe FBI says Apple has the ā€˜exclusive technical meansā€™ to unlock the phone,ā€ Snowdentold the audience from Moscow. ā€œRespectfully, thatā€™s horse sh*t.ā€
>>Snowden later tweeted a link to an American Civil Liberties Union blog post titled ā€œOne of the FBIā€™s Major Claims in the iPhone Case Is Fraudulent,ā€ which argues that the government doesnā€™t actually need Appleā€™s help to bypass the ā€œauto-eraseā€ feature on the iPhone in question.
>>This sentiment echoes that of many tech experts, as well as some lawmakers.
>>At a hearing last week, Representative Darrell Issa, a California Republican who made his fortune in electronic car alarms, asked FBI Director James Comey if he considered the possibility of creating enough copies of the phoneā€™s data to try hundreds of passwords. Apple likely wouldnā€™t have objected to this simple method, and the FBI couldnā€™t answer why they didnā€™t consider it.
>>Comey also acknowledged that the FBI made the mistake of changing the iCloud password on Farookā€™s account, security researcher Jonathan Zdziarski wrote in a blog post.
>>ā€œIn other words, the mistake of trying to break into the safe caused the safe to lock down in a way that made it more difficult to get evidence out of it,ā€ Zdziarski said.
>https://www.rt.com/usa/335054-snowden-apple-fbi-fight/
>>
>>66825227
No fucking shit you fuck. Any hacker could unlock it, one of the top apple product hackers said he could do it, but libtards are trying to blame the FBI for following the law.

Also
>ignoring the fact that Apple has complied with this request from the FBI 70(seventy) times before
>>
>>66825683
You shills are something else. The fbi wants a full blown Backdoor so they can do it whenever they want. They also want to set another grueling anti 4th amendment precedent
>>
>>66825227
>getting your news from a russian propaganda website
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 358x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 358x272
>>66825854
>implying the request wasn't specific to said iPhone which was owned by the county and used by a radical Islamic terrorist

Yea I'm the shill
>>
>>66825854
This
>>
>>66825974
The request is for one phone, but the customized firmware for that phone is then available for the FBI to reuse on any other same model iPhone.
>>
>>66826196
>implying Apple couldn't write a custom OS that applies to only one MAC address or any other internalized address
>implying Apple couldn't then lock down this OS to the fullest extent
>>
>>66826473
>implying they could
>>
>>66826634
I'm compTIA A+ certified and on my way to a CCNA certification
>>
>>66825227
tk:dr
>>
>>66826772
Lol
Get back to me in a few years. Those are baby certs
>>
File: 1346963964647.jpg (9 KB, 229x260) Image search: [Google]
1346963964647.jpg
9 KB, 229x260
>>66826772
>tfw im on test out right now
>tfw I just want to take the 801 and 2 already
>>
>>66826845
You still lost the argument
>>
Apple is perfectly capible of, and willing to unlock the phone. They have offered to do so. In fact, they have unlocked 78 encrypted devices in relation to cheese pizza and "terrorism" cases. The problem is the FBI wants a masterkey to all Apple devices. Apple told them to go fuck themselves and now the FBI is crying that Apple are terrorist sympathizers.

Furthermore, the fact that a private company has better technology than the fucking incompetent government, that takes in TENS OF TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS in taxes every year is a testament to the free market and libertarianism.
>>
>>66827003
You simply speculated on something you have no knowledge of.
>>
>>66826196
So what?
They can only use the "backdoor" on phones they physically possess, so this method inherently cannot be used in an indiscriminate manner to surveil innocent people.
>>
>>66826772

>Comptia
Wow, it's nothing
>CCNA
So the very first Cisco cert, basically?

Good for you that you're starting on the ladder, but let's not pretend you aren't on the bottom rung, bud.
>>
>>66827112
Okay then well as someone who has a ton of experience with coding and computers you clearly are the one who has no knowledge. Guess I should've known better than to argue with someone on 4chan.
>>
The FBI are cunts.
Encryption should not have a back door, that completely defeats the purpose of it.
>>
>>66827056
>herp a derp the stoopid gumint agency whose mandate is law enforcement doesn't have as advanced technology as the private entity whose entire raison d'ĆŖtre is to create advanced digital technology!
>muh Jew magic ideology!

Free market is great and all but try not to go anarchist full retard k?
>>
>>66827122
Imagine visiting an airport, taking out your keys and wallet, taking off your shoes, going through the metal detectors / xray scanners, being patted down, having your anus searched, and then, to top it all off they borrow your phone and download all your personal photos / sms / call history / chat history / whatever.
Because that's what this is eventually going to be used for, among other things
>>
File: 1456959563381.jpg (223 KB, 640x854) Image search: [Google]
1456959563381.jpg
223 KB, 640x854
>>66827576
When the fuck did I say anything about anarchism? I just said that the government is a bumbling shithouse of incompetence. If I didnt know better I would swear to God the three stooges were running washington. In fact... Now that I think about it, that would be a much better option than the godforsaken circus we have going on now
>>
>>66826772
Awwwwww. BabbyS first certs.

Srsly tho just bantz. Keep plugging away and increasing your experience.
t.Oldfag techbiz owner
>>
>>66827834
Except the FBI does not handle airport security and the TSA has no need for a program that allows them to take a week to bruteforce your password without bricking your phone.

Furthermore the TSA does not need some fancy backdoor to gain access to the data on your phone. Literally all they have to do is offer you the choice to not fly or to let them access your phone in order to download the data it contains.

This does not happen though because
A). They do not have the legal mandate to do this.
B). They don't have any desire fill up countless server farms with the collective vacation photos of the entire global traveling public.
>>
>>66829080
>No need
>need
>not want

Also
>A week
>To brute force a 4 digit passcode
Try 1ns

>B). They don't have any desire fill up countless server farms with the collective vacation photos of the entire global traveling public.
Are you joking or are you completely ignorant of mass surveillance since 9/11?
They want EVERYTHING from EVERYBODY locked away so if you ever make a phone call to someone who's made a phone call to a suspected terrorist they can open up your data and look through it all.

Anyways this is just a first step.
Once they've built a precedent they can demand back doors in all encryption remotely accessible from Fort Meade.
They've already tried to do this with the clipper chip and similar
>>
>>66829080
You are blindingly ignorant.
The Fbi who is watching a suspect. Could ask the tsa to download the suspects phone as they travel. Then hand the info over to the fbi. This would be incredibly easy, as the fbi could be watching you on camera. That suspect would never know.
>>
>>66828109
You implied support for anarcho-capitalism by suggesting that the FBI's inability to crack Apple's software was the result of inherent government incompetence rather than it not being the FBI's job to pour money into writing software.

The fact that government takes in trillions of dollars and does not have a crack for the iPhone is not a testamen to government incompetence as it's not their job to create such a crack in the first place.

The fact that the government reset the password in the first place is testament to their incompetence.
>>
>>66829903
>reset the icloud password
>believing what the government says
>>
>>66829836
How exactly does the suspect never know when the TSA just physically took possession of their phone, cracked it and downloaded all the data?

Or are you implying that ever TSA checkpoint is going to be issued a special secret squirrel custom made illegal wireless phone hacking device even though they can barely afford to keep the lights on?
>>
>>66830320
>believing the government is not incompetent
>>
>>66830383
How about this.
Apple implements a backdoor that is accessible via bluetooth regardless of if bluetooth is enabled or not (very possible).
While you're waiting in line for the metal detector a device automatically executes the exploit and downloads your phone data.
The fact is they'll probably just make it so the exploit is usable over the phone, so they can download everything by calling you or connecting to you over the Internet.
>>
>>66830383
I just flew went to the airport last month. Did the whole 9 yards.
The tsa seized a business mans laptop. He cryed like a baby, as they looked at it.
You cant do shit at the airport. They are apart of the federal government.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.