[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should a zero-tolerance, immediate expulsion hearing policy be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: asians.png (19 KB, 420x234) Image search: [Google]
asians.png
19 KB, 420x234
Should a zero-tolerance, immediate expulsion hearing policy be adopted for plagiarism?

For purposeful plagiarism of course. You shouldn't expel some dummy for forgetting a hanging indent on accident.
>>
>>66629648

It's a pretty tough question, I think.

A lot of places DO have a zero tolerance policy on plagiarism. if plagiarism is detected, the student is "sent down" or expelled from their course of study. Some places have tribunals for this kind of thing.

I suppose i'd say that a case-by-case tribunal system makes more sense. It's not always a case of purposeful plagiarism. Sometimes people can plagiarise from a secondary source, or just be unaware of how to cite certain sources like interviews, or new media like website videos.
>>
>>66629890
Hey bro, what brings you to America? It's always nice to have civilized folk come and visit.
>>
>>66629963

I travel around a lot for work. I'm a lecturer so this thread brings back MANY painful memories of marking.

It's particularly bad in Asia because they allow plagiarism. It's not even frowned upon.
>>
I almost got expelled by my professor who though I was plagiarizing when the shitty plagiarism detector she used showed that I had 5 words in a row common with some other obscure paper I had never seen before in my life. Fuck women. If you literally copy an entire paper of course you should be expelled, but there are way too many trigger happy bitches in academia who don't understand what a false positive is.
>>
>>66630290

Also this. The automatic plagiarism detectors are USELESS. It should be obvious to the trained eye that parts of a paper are different. Outsourcing this simple task to the internet is a fucking shitshow.
>>
>>66630290

>5 words in a row common with some other obscure paper

Kek.

>In this paper we investigate
>>
>>66630957

"to be quite honest, family"
>>
>>66630460
>The automatic plagiarism detectors are USELESS

That's bullshit. They can a) effortlessly detect large blocks of pasta and b) detect substantial differences in the writing level and style of different parts to indicate which may be plagiarized.

>>66629648
Yes, absolutely. There'd be a whole lot less rich kids getting advanced degrees for doing nothing.
>>
>>66631593

>They can a) effortlessly detect large blocks of pasta and b) detect substantial differences in the writing level and style of different parts to indicate which may be plagiarized.

Whoop whoop. The kind of thing that an educator with any amount of skill could do with a quick skim-reading.
>>
>>66631699
Why work hard if you don't have to?
>>
>>66631798

yeah, man. Why would an educator feel the need to personally inspect the work of their students when they can have a machine do it?

It's not we ought to have integrity, or be skilled at analysing written texts or anything.
>>
File: bender_eye.gif (280 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
bender_eye.gif
280 KB, 400x224
>>66631472
>ERROR DETECTED: SHAKING MY HEAD
>>
>>66629648
How do we define plagiarism? How do we determine if something is plagiarism?
>>
>>66632034
I guess you have no idea how much time they spend grading. Why waste that time when they can immediately 0 a plagiarized work?
>>
>>66629648
my college developed a rule about self-plagiarism.
>>
>>66633757

I know how long grading takes. All-nighters in many cases. But it's a necessary part of the job, and necessary for building up the skills you need, and the skills the students deserve to see exhibited.
>>
It couldn't be done these days.

Most subjects are just repeats of past years courses. If you were to remove plagiarism, you'd have entire classes failing then all the problems that come with it.

I'm for just flushing education entirely. It's became nothing more than an stale institution rather than something which actually helps people to think or learn a skill.
>>
>>66629648
No, because "zero-tolerance" policies never produce just outcomes.
Reserve the right for expulsion, but never tie your own hands.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.