[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cremation > Casket Burial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1441994499578.jpg (144 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1441994499578.jpg
144 KB, 500x500
Sikh man reporting from Canada.

I find the practice of burial kind of weird and needlessly expensive. I understand those that want to sign their bodies away for science and research, which is cool and I honestly respect that and if I die young enough, I'll do the same. If our worldly body can help someone after we are gone, all the better.

However, burial seems to be the weirdest practice. Now, this isn't an indictment against any singular culture or religion, because many other cultures did this. However, one obviously makes more sense than the other.

What's the point of being inside a box when you're dead? What's the point of not being burned alive? What's the point of taking up space, however small it may be?

It all seems strange to me. I need to hear some defense of this practice on a practical level.
>>
There is no point. People do it because even at their core they can't accept that that person is truly dead. Finished living, and nothing will change that. They want to keep a connection.
>>
File: 1452279253314.jpg (195 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1452279253314.jpg
195 KB, 333x500
B R O - T I E R
R
O
-
T
I
E
R
>>
Don't know for sure but I imagine it's some stupid Abrahamic bullshit about being resurrected. Cremation is more traditionally European.
>>
>>66586144
When I was a kid I used to think that burning bodies was bad, because it destroys your living tissues and denies you from re-entering the circle of life.
>>
>>66586144

Once again I find myself agreeing with a Sikh immigrant more than my own country men. Personally I've stopped worrying that leftists will ruin Canada worse because so many of the newcomers are right leaning that they wont vote for the Liberal policies I disagree with. I'll back any arranged marriage legislation you guys want passed because I understand the practice, its about clawing your way out of the middle class into the upper class over generations.
>>
File: MeanieMemies.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
MeanieMemies.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>66586144
>What's the point of not being burned alive?

i don't quite think you meant to say it this way, somehow, op (scratches head internally)
>>
I've always been pro cremation. Casket funerals cost like 10grand last I checked, whereas cremation is 100$.

Also I don't want my body to just rot in the ground underneath a tomb stone which nobody will visit but drunk kids and hobos when they need to piss.
>>
Tibetan sky burials are the best.
>>
File: 1367290113677.jpg (50 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
1367290113677.jpg
50 KB, 488x750
>>66586309
>>66586441
>>66586563
It just gets to me, bros.
I drive by cemeteries and it is kind of sombre thinking about the people that lived there, and it's good to know that we respect our dead, but I think to myself, "There could be a school there. I wouldn't want to take up space that the living could be using to make their lives better."

Maybe I'm just a cunt. lol I'm just thinking about myself or something.

>>66586718
Okay, this I can kind of understand.

Say you die, right? You bury the person in an area and the insects just eat them and return their remains to the soil. "Back to the Earth from whence we came."

That kind of makes sense, but people do strange shit with the whole expensive ass casket and taking up space that you can't ever build over.
I don't know. It's weird to me.

>>66586818
HAHAHAHAAHAHAH!
Oh man, I fucked that up. LMAO! HAHAHAH
Sorry bro. hahaha

>>66586910
wtf is that?
>>
>>66586144
Dunno, jump into the oven, leaf.
>>
File: GivingMeABone.gif (62 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
GivingMeABone.gif
62 KB, 312x312
>>66586144
cemeteries are stupid and cremation makes more sense

so does mandatory donation of human remains for tissue harvesting, anatomy classes, decay studies and arts & crafts

a lot of old rosaries are carved out of human bones, for instance, and human fat renders into a wonderfully soft and skin-friendly soap

also, i'd like to decorate a whole room with human skulls and pelvises because
>>
If I was rich I would want a space burial

I don't mean one of those "ashes go up in orbit then come back down"

I'm talking about flying my dead ass body on a satellite that will eventually go further than our solar system
>>
>>66587295
i'd want my human ashes packed around a nuclear warhead, sent into deep space on a trajectory which would bring it back down on mecca

tfw: my cremated remains would help destroy islam

eat.my.ashes.muslim.scum
>>
>>66586144

>he isn't getting cryogenically frozen and then blasted into space to be revived by future civilizations

what the fuck is wrong with you cunts?
>>
>>66587049
Pretty much. I didn't give much thoughtto the casket, figured insects will just enter it, do their business, and it's for show.
>>
>>66586144
Ummmmmmmmmmmm...
>>
>>66587295
Like Spock? Only without the implication that you were shot into a star...
>>
>>66586144
I want archeologists a thousand years from now to dig up my bones and put them in a neatly labeled box on a shelf in a museum.

That's not going to happen if I get cremated.
>>
File: planetes.jpg (69 KB, 690x420) Image search: [Google]
planetes.jpg
69 KB, 690x420
>>66587295

Why do you want to be space trash anon.
>>
>>66586144

Precisely why the wife and I are getting cremated, Sikhbro.

Burn me up and scatter me over my favorite lake, and I'm good to go.
>>
>>66587707

Why do you want to be Earth Trash, columbia?
>>
>>66587049
Look it up. In a Tibetan Sky Burial they leave your body out in nature up high in the Himalayas, and birds come and clean your bones in a very short amount of time.
>>
>>66588455
I looked it up and it's just carrion. HAHAH
>>
>>66588455
That sounds a lot more morbid than what I was imagining. I thought it was just a neat little funeral/cremation ritual they do high up in the mountains after family members or monks carried the body up.
>>
>>66587898

You stop being trash when you get cremated weedcuck. Space burials, and space trash are dangerous for the development of the space program.

Im ok with people paying some jew to put their bodies in ice or letting your relatives play with your body because they are bored, but dont fuck with space until we find an economically viable way to send earth trash and all Canadians into a guaranteed one way trip to the sun.
>>
>>66586144
cremation takes a lot of energy and creates a lot of mess (Ashes etc).
Sticking someone in a hole in the ground does not do those things.
>>
Mortuary Science (Funeral Directing) student here.

First of all, the cremation rate here in America hovers around 50% and is only growing. This has to do with the price of burial, the disconnect many have with religion, and the fact that many people don't die in the same area where they were born or lived.

The primary purpose for burial is, as someone else said, Abrahamic reasons. Literal rising from the grave when Christ comes back, in addition to the idea of returning as we came: Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. For the majority of Christians today, this is mostly a preference thing. Almost no Christian leader would turn down a cremated person's funeral.

Jews have their own qualms about being cremated (give you three guesses), and so the idea of someone who practices Judaism regularly even considering cremation is almost unheard of.

I'll be lurking in this thread if anyone has any questions about the business. I might do an AMA thread later, actually.
>>
>>66589290

Its just innert ashes go spread that shit somewhere and it doesnt matter. When you get buried you occupy space on this earth when you are already gone, thats a waste, and funerary services will find a way to charge your family for some stupid shit for decades.
>>
>>66589290
>cremation takes a lot of energy and creates a lot of mess

I think the Nazis would say that it cleans up the mess.
>zing

>>66589381
>First of all, the cremation rate here in America hovers around 50% and is only growing.

This is what I thought.

I'm 31 and almost everyone that I talk to is either super pro-cremation or shaky on burial.
I'd say melenials will probably be cremated by droves when we die off.

Also, can you answer if this is true: >>66589290?
>>
>>66589680
Cremation really is growing in popularity in the same way atheism is. There's a lot of symbolism in the whole burial thing, and I have a deep appreciation for that.

A lot of it also has to do with the idea of embalming. Viewing the deceased is a vital component of "moving on" after their death... the whole "seeing is believing" thing really works wonders for grieving. But people typically only want embalming and displaying the remains if they plan on burial... the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, what >>66589290 said is bunk. Burial (especially with embalming) is not as "green" as cremation in any way, shape or form. It couldn't be.

Oh, pro-tip... a lot of people are turning to cremation because it's cheaper. These people do not understand how business models work-- we're only going to jack the price up on cremation. Sad but true.
>>
>>66587707
so that I can die happy, seeing the endless deth of space above our blue homeworld... fuck me in the ass please
>>
>>66586144
We can clone the people with caskets, fuck off retard.
>>
>>66589290
There's also assessing costs;
• the casket which "decent" according to brochures is at least $1200, unless you want to get one of those biodegradable boxes made of out canvas and the stuff the use to help potted plants stay erect. Even that's upwards of $300.
• embalming isn't free last I checked, somewhere in the funeral director's pamphlet mentions and embalming fee
• holding a funeral at a church/temple
• misc costs of a funeral, like flowers, plot of land to bury the deceased, fees for the undertaker, ect...

With cremation it just runs the crematorium ans urn costs unless you held a funeral to showcase the body before taking the last measures of the rituals.
>>
>>66586144
it's a form of way to mark your territory
>>
>>66587227
I'm not donating shit
Some stupid fucking leftist will probably get my shit, not letting that happen lads
Better going back into the earth and having your energy transferred back
>>
>>66586144
I'll probably go for cremation just to reduce cost to family, but I do like cemeteries.
If you get a chance Sikh-bro, spend a few hours wandering through a cemetery and read the inscriptions on the stones. They can be interesting, humorous, and whimsical.
>>
>>66590666
Of course Satan wants a clone army of undead minions.
>>
>>66586144
>sikh man

AM I THE ONLY FUCKING WHITE PERSON LEFT IN THIS COUNTRY YOU FUCKERS ALL LEFT SOUTH TO JOIN TRUMP WITHOUT ME DIDNT YOU
>>
>>66586144
We do it in vain hopes that science will progress enough after we die that we can be resurrected, or maybe that's just me and normal people feel it's more natural to be returned to nature via burial.
>>
>>66589104
>but dont fuck with space
We've got enough burial space for the next 50 years easy. Anyone choosing cremation for this reason is mislead.

>>66590767
Pretty much everything you said checks out, except a couple details:
>the casket which "decent" according to brochures is at least $1200
This is right, but at our place we can get you a nice wooden box (typically for cremation) for $150.

>holding a funeral at a church/temple
Funerals cost the same whether it's at a temple, church, funeral home, or your house. And more than half of the people who cremate have services anyway, and the presence of a body there does not make a difference cost-wise. (Technically, a funeral service without a body present is called a "memorial service.")

>fees for the undertaker
Those get put on no matter how you want to exit this plane of existence. Sorry.

>>66591043
Trust me, even if science comes up with a way to resurrect the recent dead, if you're embalmed, you can count yourself out of the running. When we do our job, we guarantee there's no chance for coming back in a scientific sense.
>>
Burial has more chances of something good happening to me. Very slim chances though. If I can't afford it then whatever.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.