[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fraternities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (868 KB, 775x530) Image search: [Google]
image.png
868 KB, 775x530
What's /pol/'s opinion on fraternities? Recently graduated college and was in a fraternity, 99% white, didn't do a ton for the community, but have a lot of successful alumni and friends who have used the connections. Marginally racist, but don't act on it. Media shits on them constantly but /pol/ and media don't generally get along.

I know fraternities aren't just America so other countries opinions would be interesting too.
>>
File: 1440193469793.jpg (71 KB, 998x666) Image search: [Google]
1440193469793.jpg
71 KB, 998x666
frats are for faggots

have a mind of your own
>>
Well, in Germany we have "Studentenverbindungen" and "Studentenvereine", but there are many differences, some are exttemly rightwing, some leftwing etc.
>>
>>66584188
they are quite literally just paying for connections.

but that is the point of the best universities anyways. it's almost never what you know, but who you know.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 417x407) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 417x407
>>66585130
Confirmed. Every job I've ever had in my life has been because of who I know, not what I know. Didn't do great in university but ended up with a great job right out of college in engineering. Not ashamed that I paid to be in a club for that opportunity
>>
>>66584188
It's paying to have a better college experience than your peers.
>>
I have mixed feelings about fraternities. I was in one and college and I made a lot of good friends in it.

People will say "you just pay for friends" but I'd like to clear that up. Imagine you and a few guys have a house and you throw parties at your house occasionally. Now imagine that some guy comes around and starts hanging out, living in your spare bedroom, eating your food, and drinking your beer. You're gonna get pissed and expect him to contribute his fair share.

See, if fraternities were paying for friends or connections, then anybody who could afford the dues could get in, but they can't. The fraternity has a process over a week where they decide if someone should be offered a bid so that they can pledge. Bid week is spent meeting guys, and deciding who has a similar personality and interests to your group.

Pledging is a probationary period of a semester where fraternities decide whether or not we want to be friends with you. You've probably heard a lot about hazing. If you're going to be hazed, it's as a pledge. My chapter wasn't bad about it at all. We never were forced to drink or got hit; we just did a lot of calisthenics under stressful mental conditions.

I have mixed feelings because I made maybe a handful of true friends out of the 90 guys in my organization. The whole brotherhood thing is half true. You will make some friends for life, and other guys in your fraternity you will just flat out hate. I'll explain our political dynamic more in my next post.
>>
>>66586743
>some guy comes around drinking your beer, eating your food, etc.

We had a guy from the Netherlands who lived here a semester cause we needed to fill our house. He was an exchange and constantly stole beer and food, was extremely loud and obnoxious, invited himself to parties and had to be forcibly removed after being too drunk, and broke into people's rooms towards the end.

My opinion of the Deutsch will never be the same
>>
Sorry for the blog, but maybe someone will appreciate some insight.

Mine frat was very cliqued up. There were a lot of personality differences. Generally, we were pretty right wing with a few loud-mouthed left wing faggots, but we didn't talk about politics much.

There was one black guy in our frat when I joined, and we had one more join before I left. They were white-washed. There was also an Indian kid I didn't really care for. After I left, there was this faggy kid who I knew from my scholarship program who became president. I fought tooth and fucking nail to keep this kid out of the chapter, but he eventually got in. He was really involved on campus, and he didn't belong personality-wise, but people wanted him to boost our campus involvement. I hated him because he rushed another fraternity first, then when he thought they drank too much he decided to join us, not knowing we drank just as much.

Long story short, he is the type of faggot that believes national borders don't exist. It was the beginning of the end for our frat. From what I hear now, everyone is a huge faggot. We also took in a shit ton of poo in the loo Indian kids because of this fag. If there is one thing you don't want, it's to be known as an Indian fraternity. You won't get the best quality white people.

That's why I don't mind if people say frats are for faggots or whatever. While I had a completely different experience than that, I've seen enough faggots in frats to know that you might have experienced that as well.
>>
>>66587124
Dude sounds like an asshole. Sounds like the type of guy to get his ass whooped.
>>
File: image.jpg (236 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236 KB, 960x720
>>66584188
Go to UF, they're a shitton here. They're ok. Always come to class with dip cups, boat shoes, Columbia outdoor boating shirts and frat hats. Must be a uniform down here. People say they use them for networking but I think it's just bullshit. Sure they can hurt your social circles if you're looking for people to hang with, parties ect.
>>
>>66587651
*cant
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 450x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 450x460
>>66587651
>trying to hard
There are tons of frats that dress like this, and I also hate it. Some in mine dress this way semi-ironically which is a little better. I went to class wearing basketball shorts and a sweatshirt even while I was our president. It's confirmation bias to believe all fraternity members dress that way
>>
>>66588447
I'm sure they don't ALL dress that way. Just the big majority I've seen. The ones I've spoken to and interacted with have been cool. What's the deal with the paddles?
>>
>>66588744
We made paddles for our big brother, who was our mentor, as a gift for guiding us through pledgeship. Then they got one big whoop in on our ass the night of initiation.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 300x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 300x591
>>66588744
Honestly, purely a fun gift for pledge fathers to give their pledge sons. Can't speak for any other fraternity, but I know we never used em for anything like paddling.

That being said I've used mine on a couple past girlfriends for fun.
>>
>>66585130
100% true, right, and accurate.

Joining the right fraternity is way more important than going to class. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not.

You won't learn a fucking thing as long as you're in school that you couldn't have found out just as easily for free with a few Google searches. The "professor" is essentially just there to tell you what to go home and Google, since nobody noticed that about 98% of professors have been rendered obsolete by a primitive but working prototype of a compendium of all human knowledge.

Of course, you won't learn anything in your frat or do anything really worthwhile there either. But when you get out of school and you land your first plum gig in an air conditioned office moving numbers around for a small fortune every year while all your smarter and harder-working, note-taking, rule-following classmates are literally washing dishes in a restaurant with a Master's degree that put them in debt $100,000

Basically, getting a degree without making any connections with the right on-campus secret society is the worst possible way to fuck yourself for life.
>>
>>66584188
Fuck them. Most of them I've seen are full of retards that still act like they're in high school. i dropped during pledging when I realized the brothers were a bunch of faggots pretending like they were some great organization
>>
>>66587125
You sound like a bitter loser tb h
>>
Very good for connections.

My frat just had an alumni panel of guys talking to us and looking for summer interns/future employees.

One is the COO of a multinational financial business
One is literally working at MIT Lincoln laboratories
One was in investment banking, retired at 40 and is now doing some venture capital stuff just for fun.

You'd be very surprised at how much it helps.
>>
>>66589471
Agree completely.

Every day I wish I had joined a frat. And I even turned out pretty ok with a 50k job.
>>
>>66589471
>nobody noticed that about 98% of professors have been rendered obsolete by a primitive but working prototype of a compendium of all human knowledge.
that makes me feel all fuzzy inside, what a time to be alive
>>
>>66589937
Thanks for being honest; I would've hated for you to lie. Until you've been in a big organization with politics like that, you'll never understand.
>>
Opinions on joining a uni frat as a transfer student from the local CC?

Would it be worth it to be someone's bitch for a year, to reap the rewards the last year?
>>
>>66590195
>>66589937
Gotta agree that the politics are pretty obnoxious and bull shit. It can get very petty at times as well, something you won't find in most organizations after college. There's a similar case in my chapter, with a lot of schoolyard politics going on. I get where you're coming from, >>66590195
>>
How could anyone hate some of the few remaining right-wing institutions in the Western world who are not subjected to the Government or to SJW worldview?
>>
>>66590829

>not subject to SJWs

Idk about the other anons but the Administration in my school are the SJWs. mandatory yes means yes/title IX training every year. I love the tolerance :^)
>>
>>66590755
I left my fraternity after the first semester of my junior year. Every meeting was just people bickering about different procedural and political points. I basically got all the benefits at that point, still went to parties except for like formal and pref, but didn't have to deal with the business side of things.
>>
It's good if you want connections
and connections are important if you want a good job
>>
>>66591018
>not subject to SJWs
Like I said in a previous post, we let a guy into my fraternity that I hated. He was a total SJW, and a demagogue. After I left he single-handedly ruined our chapter.
>>
>>66590620
Had a guy join from 'straya a couple years back. Best cunt I've ever met, still keep in touch with him. It's usually only a semester of being a bitch, and even then depending where you join its not usually as bad as the media makes it.

Granted there's a few cases that I know about that are pretty awful.
Founding (alpha) chapter of my fraternity got shut down because they
>Took all pledges to the attic
>forced the pledges to pull up the floor boards
>put the pledges underneath the floorboards
>re installed the floor
>invited a bunch of people over and threw a party on top of the pledges

Fucking kek if you ask me, but yeah not a great way to stay out of trouble
>>
>>66586743
I wouldn't call it paying for friends. I consider it more as pooling our money together to throw bigger parties, go on formal, live in an on campus mansion, and do philanthropy type stuff. All of the money I pay I get back in the form of a social or some kind of event besides the small out of house costs.
>>
>>66591202
That was the point of my post. I agree. It's not paying for friends.
>>
American fraternities are cancer and full of chads. I was disgusted when I was travelling through the US and stopped at a university town.
>>
>>66592031

Back to /r9k/ with you lad
>>
>>66592031
that fencing shit sounds cool as fuck.
>>
>>66590062
1 out of 3 who is actually intelligent

wew lad congrats

great odds

i bet now its even lower than that for you stupid fucks

let me guess everyone is studying "finance"

lel

mop my floors peasants
>>
>>66592031
this is true

most in a fraternity are massive tools

its an act

i think people who join fraternities are similar to women

the clique and outfits etc

its emasculated and gay
>>
>>66590085
Yeah, but you had to work for that job, right?

If you join the right fraternity, then as soon as you graduate you should have 2-3 jobs lined up and waiting for you.

Nobody knows this but there are tens of thousands of jobs in this country that are very high-paying with very low responsibility. Like say, living on the beach in Aruba and your only job requirement is to accept a collect call and write down how much money their boss made that day, and then they just call their boss's accountant and repeat that number.

I know a kid that made almost two million dollars doing that for six years. He got a call every other day at 5 o'clock sharp and the other 23 hours and 55 minutes he was just living a dream vacation, and getting paid more than the President of the United States to do it.

guidance counselors never tell you about jobs like that but they're 100% real. There's thousands of them.
>>
>>66592700
yeah drinking and getting laid by hot sorority girls is so emasculating and gay
>>
>66591177
>Took all pledges to the attic
>forced the pledges to pull up the floor boards
>put the pledges underneath the floorboards
>re installed the floor
>invited a bunch of people over and threw a party on top of the pledges

Sounds hilarious until some dumb drunk bitch knocks over a candle in the bathroom and starts a house fire.

Free advice: never get into something if you can't leave anytime you want.
>>
>>66593938
Jesus christ man
>>
Fucking betas tbqh
>>
>>66593677
Did you really just say that to me you racist piece of shit? What the hell is your problem? You swiped me just so that you could spew hate at me. That is by far the weakest thing I have ever witnessed. Please stay tuned to find your pictures and a screenshot of this message on social media.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.