[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
L'Etat C'est /pol/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
Okay /pol/ you've been sent back to the dark ages and the people there are so impressed by your relative super intelligence that they make you their king. How would you use your 21st Century knowledgebase build up your society and in what order?
>>
So for an example, first I would implement sanitation like sewage drainage, waste collection etc so people don't die from cholera from living in their own shit.

Arming the military with rudimentary black powder grenades would probably be next so people don't die from invasion from the outside.

setting up a communications network via something similar to the mail would probably be third so the people can be kept informed of my glorious reign.

mandatory literacy training for children would be next so the people wouldn't need someone to read communiques to them would be the fourth basic reform I'd make.

installing a basic constitution with the equivalent of a house of commons filled with a representative chosen by each community would then prevent the newly literate from getting any ideas about me being a tyrant.

and so on and so forth.
>>
>>66516049

I would focus entirely on:

Seed Selection
Companion Planting
Crop Rotation
Seed Drills
Tandem Harnesses (only if the infrastructure was in place to support it)

FYI Drainage issues were not an issue of them not understanding it, the oldest cities in the world had sewers. The issue was not being able to build sewers anywhere that didn't have the right soil and bedrock unless you had access to high quantities of quality bricks/concrete and an excess of cheap labor at the same time.
>>
>>66517854
companion planting is like when you grow corn, squash and beans together because the three benefit from each other plant?

As for drainage, ancient cities had it but modern European cities didn't take it too seriously until the mid 19th century and once they did it cleared up a lot of problems.
>>
>>66516049
I'd fuck everyone over and do whatever the fuck I wanted to do. I'd especially enforce Droit du seigneur effectively making every male in my control a literal cuck
>>
>>66516585
>Arming the military with rudimentary black powder grenades would probably be next so people don't die from invasion from the outside.
Do you even know how to make black powder? Don't get me wrong, I've done some research, and we certainly had the ability to make it far earlier than we made it, but knowing that doesn't mean you know how to do it.

>>66516585
>mandatory literacy training for children would be next so the people wouldn't need someone to read communiques to them would be the fourth basic reform I'd make.
Hilariously impractical. There's a reason literacy rates were extremely low until relatively recently.
>>
File: Gorn_Kirk_cannon.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Gorn_Kirk_cannon.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>>66518436
Sure I've seen that episode of Star Trek. I can even tell you where to find each ingredient. sulfur from springs, charcoal from fire pits and potassium nitrate which can be extracted from bog top soil.
>>
>>66518280

Yes. In that specific case the reasons are:

1. Bean vines grow up the corn like a trellis.
2. When the vines die in autumn their nitrogen returns to the soil by next spring.
3. Squash/Pumpkins compact the soil around the base of the corn allowing better water retention.
4. Squash produce lots of flowers that attract pollinators for the other plants.
5. They all are harvested at different times which makes it easier to stay fed the entire year.
>>
>>66518682

>bog top soil

It's called boiling piss.

Dont forget to soak it all in ethanol while you are milling the powder or the pressure will ignite it.

Yes this means you will also need to be able to build a still to even start the process.

People don;t really seem to grasp that people in the past were not dumb, they just didn't not have the infrastructure they needed to do what we have the infrastructure to do now.

10% of technology is the idea.
90% is the supply chain.
>>
>>66516049
>Dark Ages
I'd ban Latin, and make sure all rightful Frankish clay remains Dutch-speaking.
WE
>>
well I'd chill in russia worshiping Perun first of all. I'd install some good outhouses away from the river and get them started on how to make stills. get drunk and fuck bitches all day. provide liquor to other tribes to unite them under my liquor empire.
>>
I wouldn't, honestly. I wouldn't want to fuck with anything.

I'd be the only white guy, if I found friendly indians I could just pick shrooms and weed and be a medicine man.

If I was taken back in time from exactly where I am now, I know where I could find tribes that would have been kind to a lone white man, before they had any bad dealings with us.

Maybe I'd make a little hooch now and then, but just for my squaws and the chief, nobody else.

I'd probably just gather herbs for food, and snare game, and get high and eat and fuck my wives all the time, and maybe tell stories for people. I'd easily be the most entertaining person that any of them would ever meet. I could tell them stories about Jack Tripper and just say he was a god living with other gods, and they'd love it, like anything I remember at all would be great to tell them if I dressed things up a bit to be relatable, I couldn't go wrong.
>>
>>66516049

Also I know you used that picture because that movie was just added to Netflix Canada. I watched it last night.
>>
>>66518848
I thought it would be the opposite. I can gather all those materials from natural sources in my own city alone right now if I so chose. It's just that someone has to think of the idea that hey this stuff isn't just a hit at parties it can be used for military purposes. It's like this quote I vaguely recall when people first started experimenting with electricity. Someone came up to this scientist and said "this is all well and good but of what use is it?" to which the scientist replied "of what use is a newborn child?"
>>
>>66519184
Actually I would have preferred a picture from Outlaw of Gor because that's more relevant to the topic but I couldn't find anything suitable so had to make due with that one.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 238x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 238x250
>>66516049
>warn fellow white men of the dangers with africans
>get accused of witchcraft and black magic as i am fortune telling and assure them i know the future
>get hung
fuck.
>>
>>66519384
don't worry about that, you've already been crowned God Emperor of whatever iron age society you found yourself in. Maybe you also had a shotgun like Ash from Army of Darkness or something to keep them in line.
>>
>>66519176
fag
>>
>>66519295

Anyone can gather the materials and tools to Mastercraft ONE of anything. The ancient Greeks made 2 or 3 brass computers.

When you want to start equipping an army with grenades or putting a telegraph line connecting towns you needed to be able to make TEN THOUSAND of that thing which means it wont be Mastercrafted, it will need not only to be mass produced but mass procedure by any old half literate peasant not under your direct supervision.

Honestly introducing the Stirrup to Europe a few centuries early would be the biggest breakthrough most people would be able to accomplish technologically.

Realistically you would want to focus on practices that dont require many new tools that have immediately apparent benefits like better plant breeding or farming methods because no one will know you or have a reason to trust you. They might care when your farm is better than theirs and you just flat up tell them how to do it for free.
>>
>>66519527
I've actually made other people with my penis.

You've probably never been touched by a women you're not related to.
>>
>>66519908
So your answer is the industrial process, division of labor into simple repetitive tasks to mine, process & build things made of interchangeable parts on a larger level is your #1 priority, good choice. It worked for The first emperor of China and Henry Ford.
>>
>>66516049
you're forgetting an important variable.

before the "digital age," boredom was a real part of life.

can you survive in the pre-digital age with the knowledge and memories of the digital age?

$50 says after a week in the "dark ages," you'll kill yourself.
>>
>>66520077
are you worried about blipping yourself out of existence through changing history and causing a time paradox? That's probably certain. My parents met through a wide collusion of chances so the further back you go the more likely things would be changed significantly. Best not to think about it.

>>66520390
I was a teenager before the internet was really a thing. I spent summers at cottages even after that and went without internet for six months once about 10 years ago just to see if I could. I could, it wasn't ideal but I wasn't going all Jack from the Shining or anything.
>>
>>66520122

No. I would focus entirely on increasing crop yield so people would have healthier lives and the tax based (as it was usually paid in grain anyway) would be larger so the actual establish leaders could afford to fund science on their own.

The only new tools I would introduce would be the Seed Drill (multi-pronged tube the ensure uniform seed distribution in), Stirrup (steer a horse with your feet so your hands are free to fight) and Tandem Harness (2 horses are better than 1 ox for plowing fields and pulling carts but a tandem harness requires so much more leather no one was willing to trail and error the design into working properly until much later in history)
>>
>>66520390
i too was a teenager before the digital age, and i too lived/stayed in houses without cable tv or internet before the digital age. just the thought of "going back" to an era that was pre-digital gives me anxiety.

(the thought of not using "google books" as a research reference, or even using databases for research drives me nuts. my adviser once told me about how he wrote his dissertation with a type-writer--and how he had to measure space for footnotes, and re-writes of entire pages just because of one typo. the "night & day" difference is appalling.)

10 years ago wasn't quite the "full-fledged" digital age that we're in right now.
>>
>>66521014
meant for >>66520557
>>
>>66520390
If anything the greatest threat would be inability to get any work done after being crowned king and given the keys to the harem.
>>
>>66521043
boredom was definitely something people had to combat in the past, that's partially why they had some many festivals. The preparation for such would fill a lot of downtime. The wreaths for example frontier farms would have at Christmas were incredibly elaborate. So I think you'd find other ways to entertain yourself and besides, in this scenario you're king. If you want a chorus of dancing naked women all day, you got it bud.
>>
>>66518848
>It's called boiling piss.

Chicken poop is a better source. Use it plus straw and ash to build a niter bed. Piss on it and turn it until done (1 year aproxx) then use water to wash out the calcium nitrate and filter through potash (seaweed is a good source if you have nowhere to mine potassium salts) to get potassium nitrate.

Also building a still isn't hard. I have made a basic clay pot still to prove that I could and currently run a fractioning still because I can make booze far cheaper than I can buy it.
>>
destroy the English
>>
File: 1456047894209.jpg (482 KB, 1000x1926) Image search: [Google]
1456047894209.jpg
482 KB, 1000x1926
Develop a new religion based on Islam and Tumblr SJW terminology, pushing the humanity into the dank age.
>>
>>66520390
Plenty of time to learn how to use a sword properly and explore the world on my horse with a couple hunter buddies.
>>
>>66521419
Which English? That would be highly dependent on when in time you are. Up until 1066 they'd be more like Germans that just so happen to be living in modern England.
>>
>Invent Loo
>Invade India
>Make rajeet poo in loo
>>
I am a shut-in so thats a con but I have an insane amount of theoretical knowledge pertaining to 16th, 17th, 18th century tech so i could ramp these fuckers up to an early 1800's level pretty fast at least for land warfare

downside is due to the limitation on industrialization we wont have the logistics to destroy the muslims........makes me sad
>>
>>66522104
at that point the muslims are already pretty advanced technologically. you'd probably be better off leaving them alone regardless.
>>
>school reform, teach people to read etc
>introduce the /fit/ sticky as nutritional guideline
>establish some sort of kindergarten style of establishment.
>build autobahn type of roads to connect to other cities to grow my empires infrastructure
>implement hub- style of thinking in production and introduce the concept of factory. Taylorism is best :D
>conscription at the age of 18 lasting year, backed up by my vassals who each have small professional army.
>Rid jews of their gold, then exile them
>it will be carved onto big stone that women shall never be allowed to vote. Black lives don't matter.
>>
>>66516049
I would probably fuck things up even worse than any of their own kings could. And then they'd kill me.
>>
>>66524224
ah c'mon, how hard could it be so long as you remember not to put a new wing on your palace during a famine or have servants whipped to death for yawning during your dinner.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.