[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about The Iraq War? Was it justified?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: iraq_war_carolyn_cole091.jpg (181 KB, 970x615) Image search: [Google]
iraq_war_carolyn_cole091.jpg
181 KB, 970x615
What does /pol/ think about The Iraq War?

Was it justified? Was it a success or failure? What should we have done differently?
>>
It happened and we can't change the past so there's no point in beating ourselves up about it.
>>
The initial invasion was pretty successful but we failed pretty hard on establishing any sort of lasting administration
>>
>>66509611
Bullshit. We can do many things to make sure it never happens again:
>Trial and imprison George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfield,and other chief agents.

>>66509511
I wish I was skilled enough to make money from it.
>>
File: 1289985264475.gif (1 MB, 359x188) Image search: [Google]
1289985264475.gif
1 MB, 359x188
Pretty big mistake/waste, and Saddam was a pretty cool guy, but what's done is done. Plus it made for some pretty cool combat footage.
>>
File: bush-putin.jpg (39 KB, 480x375) Image search: [Google]
bush-putin.jpg
39 KB, 480x375
>>66509511
1. Not get involved any farther than putting sanctions on their oil or bombing their oil supplies.

2. If/when we got involved it needed to be a long term commitment that would last 20-30 years until our cancerous western culture took control of their country and the people would rather go chill at McDonalds and watch American Idol than blow themselves up.
>>
File: General.jpg (123 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
General.jpg
123 KB, 600x614
>>66509511
>Was it justified?
Yes.
How many UN resolutions condemning human rights violations does it take before someone does something about genocidal militaristic dictators with a history of attacking his neighbors?
>Was it a success?
Yes.
The dictator was removed
All we had to do was occupy and pacify the area.
Obama fucked this up.
>What should we have done differently.
You literally couldn't conduct a more perfect invasion.
>>
>>66509871
Well with the dictator removed the whole area became destabilized. I mean mission wise it was a success but was the mission really worth it
>>
Israel knew it would fail because they know Islam and Arab culture is incompatible with the democracy that America would try to enforce. We do the dirty work, hajis get uppity, Israel profits.
>>
>>66509798
Can we include John Howard and Tony Blair as well?

>>66509871
>How many UN resolutions condemning human rights violations does it take before someone does something about genocidal militaristic dictators with a history of attacking his neighbors?
Do we apply this same logic to other dictatorial countries, such as North Korea?
>>
>>66509980
See
>>>All we had to do was occupy and pacify

We didn't leave Germany or Japan right after WWII
We occupied them for 40+ years each
Why on earth that retard Obama thought it would be wise to pull out after only a few years is beyond me
>>
>>66510132
I see nothing wrong with getting rid of Best Korea as fast as possible.
It is literally more costly and more effort to put up with them than to just remove the commies and reintegrate Korea as one nation
In fact
sitting on our hands this long was a mistake because now they have Nukes
>>
>>66509511

>Was it justified?

It could have been better justified than overthrowing Saddam by claiming he had active weapons programs.

I'm sure many Iraqis were happy we took down Saddam, at least in the beginning.

>Was it a success or failure?

The 'war' itself was a massive success, we bowled over one of the world's largest armies in a matter of weeks. They stood no chance what so ever of defeating the military might of the United States.

The subsequent occupation, COIN operations, political restructuring and re-establishment of the national infrastructure was a complete disaster.

>What should we have done differently?

Not abandon the country to its own devices so soon, not hired civilian contractors to train the Iraqi armed forces, better organized the new administration. I'm sure there were plenty of things that could have been done better.

Really we just dropped the ball rebuilding the nation as a whole. Nobody in the Bush or the Obama administration was actually dedicated to the task which is unfortunate for the Iraqi people. They need the help but nobody actually wants to make the effort.
>>
>>66510255
Interesting, I was almost thinking you were going to be a bit more selective when it comes to invading/destabilizing other nations. Good for you, cobba.

But I still disagree with the Middle East, I think those people need to be controlled, Democracy doesn't seem to work.
>>
>>66509871
Human rights abuses are the name of the game in the middle east. We can't act as if it was morally justifiable to take Saddam out if we turn a blind eye to every other action in the middle east, particularly those done by our allies.
>>
>>66510159

The war was costing us Trillions though and our economy went in the shitter in 2008 and the war was extremely unpopular.
>>
>>66509511
yes it was justified because we are the most powerful nation on the planet and nobody can stop us.

it was successful because success means different things to different people.

we should've done a lot of things differently.

disarming the iraqi army was stupid. not securing the armories was stupid. letting all the men live was stupid. not absolutely obliterating the sadr city militia when it first popped up was a mistake. not completely annihilating fallujah after the bridge incident was a mistake. not sending me a submissive qt3.14 muslim gf was a mistake.

next time, hopefully we'll do better.
>>
>>66510372
Hey man, if it were me I'd be toppling the dominoes
I'm not hypocritical, I'm just not in a position of power.
>>
>>66510361
>>>>Occupy and Pacify
>>
>>66510361

Democracy only works when populations are well informed and developed.

Democracy doesn't work well in places like Afghanistan because the people there are literally living in the stone age. I've got friends who served in Afghanistan and they tell me the people there don't know what year it is or month or day and they don't care.
>>
All about the petro dollar, it was necessary,
>>
>>66510132
Libya took way less time and we actually had an objective. Stopping the African Dinar
>>
>>66510432
Something was expensive and unpopular?
When has that ever stopped Obama from forcing something down our throats before?
>>
Should have gassed the entire Middle East and nuked them from orbit.
>>
All these good gots in this thread that actually believe that the Iraqi war was a success.

>>66509511
>was it justified?
No.

>Was it a success or a failure?
We went into a country that had a weak military with no strong Air Force and didn't have a navy.

We won the battle but we lost the war, huge fucking waste of time, money and lives.

>What should we have done differently?
Mind our own business.
>>
>>66511796
*good goys
>>
>>66509511
>Was it justified? Was it a success or failure? What should we have done differently?

Nah. The government gave about a hundred different reasons total for Iraq. It was a stupid move. Obviously our military fucked them but we didn't do anything after we just bailed. What stupid fucking leadership. Other people are right waste of an opportunity once it happened and waste of a bunch of lives for nothing
>>
>>66509511
a neocon war. Rubio's wet dream.

- I feel for the men and woman that fought that war and will support all the needs they have, but FUCK THAT WAR AND FUCK THE PEOPLE WHO TOOK MY BROTHER FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>66509511

Totally justified, great success. We ripped that shithole a new asshole and hung Saddam high. They got everything they deserved for 9-11.

Hell, if it wasn't for that pussy ass nigger we'd still have troops there and ISIS would've been shot to shit before they did anything.
>>
>>66512531
Murica..

The Iraqis didn't have anything to do with 9/11, Saddam was considered a good goy even after he killed 33 US sailors in the 80's and the US forgave him, but once he ditched the petrodollar he was deemed a bad goy.

>lol didn't read all it mattered is that we killed dem a-rab mudslimes

Like I said we won the battle, but the war will leave this nation scarred until the end of time.

Think about it, 5,000+ troops died in the war (not counting contracters) PLUS the 30,000 troops that committed suicide and the number is rising, we hardly have any liberty or none at this point, huge fucking deficit, big government, and the list goes on.
>>
It was conducted all wrong. The leaders had unreal expectations of what was going to happen. Democracy changes its mind too much to commit to total war.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.