[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Not all___ are like that!"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: 1454290245296.jpg (51 KB, 659x473) Image search: [Google]
1454290245296.jpg
51 KB, 659x473
What do you think of this argument? Is it a valid argument, or is it a conversation derailer?
>>
dude you shouldn't drive because accidents happen
>>
Not all x may be like that, sure, but when the vast majority of x is demonstrating y behavior, then we are within reason to pass a collective judgment onto x.
>>
>>66396934
Mostly a derailer, it doesn't add any information and it states something obvious.

Like "Not all X are like that!" if only 1% are is very different than if say 99% are, but that 'argument' doesn't distinguish between the two above.
>>
>>66396934

total derail and mind trap
>>
>>66396934
I don't think so. It depends on the context, but I assume you are talking about race. If the conversation is about race or a religion, then you really can't speak of them on an individual basis, as you aren't talking about individual parts but rather the thing as a whole. If a category of people tend to act a certain way, such as 13% of the population committing 50% of the murder, then it is fallacious not to speak of the category as a whole.
>>
>>66396934
It is a derailer. Instead of saying "x are y", I usually say "the average x is y".
>>
if depends. if someone is actually claiming EVERYONE without exception in a group is X when that just isn't true, it's useful

when someone is just talking about an obvious trend and you say "b-but not everyone is like that" then you're being a retarded reddicuck
>>
File: 2899227_orig.jpg (271 KB, 778x800) Image search: [Google]
2899227_orig.jpg
271 KB, 778x800
My grandmother has smoked for 58 years, since she was 19, still has no cancer.

Therefore, we shouldn't look down on cigarettes, because not every smoker gets lung cancer.

right?
>>
>>66397153
Its not even 13%, because males commit more than females, and half of them are already in jail, so its more like 4% committing 40%
>>
File: 1450223540035.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450223540035.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>66396934
Whoever says that is a moron and not worth conversing with.

pic related
>>
>>66397364
Never thought of that, but there you go. The Blacks tend to contain themselves to below 13% by means of abortion, but the Hispanics are growing fast. I wonder how our country will look as we move closer to a white minority, maybe we'll descend into irrelevancy like brazil.
>>
>>66397153
It's closer to 3%, anon. Take out females, the children and old people, and only consider black males from 18-30, and you still have about 46-48% of murders in a 3% slice.

>sociology minor, did focus on crime.

Here's how factors rank as far as what determines violent crime:

1.Gender
2.Age
3.Race
4.Education
5.Poverty

All are very strongly correlated, but all things equal, that's how they rank. An affluent black man is 1000x mroe likely to commit violent crime than a poor old asian woman
>>
>>66396934
It''s implied in every statement ever made. Liberal cucks use this to defend nigs.

"Stereotyping" = using your brain.
>>
>>66396934
>What do you think of this argument?
Retarded.
>>
>>66397052
>>66397156
But when are a vast majority (or average) of x ever demonstrating y behavior?

For some reason, /pol/ always thinks that because a majority of people who do Y are Xs, that somehow means that a majority of Xs do Y.

That's one of the most basic formal fallacies you can make.
>>
>>66397153
Men are 48% of the population, and commit 92% of murders, therefore, all men are murderers.
>>
>>66397903
Are these stories about the Appalachian Mountains and their towns being very low crime relative to their poverty true? If so, how do those who theorize that poverty is the root of crime reconcile that?
>>
File: 1341302592913.gif (302 KB, 294x266) Image search: [Google]
1341302592913.gif
302 KB, 294x266
>>66396934
>stereotyping is okay until it happens to me
this view literally supports BLM reparations bullshit since it would make all white people responsible for the actions of their ancestors. Once again stormfront fags are retarded
>>
>>66396934
Not all Trump supporters are neo-Nazi authoritarian racists!
>>
>>66398251
It's very hard to commit a crime when you know the first name of everyone in a 30 mile radius.
>>
>>66398251
By not actually knowing what they're talking about.
>>
>>66398251
Population density. You're less likely to commit crimes against others if there are less people around to transgress against.
>>
>>66398137
Fair. I didn't mention it, but it's going full retard to say "all" in a discussion like that, but speaking generally and not individually, its fine to use statistics like that, in my opinion. On your note, nobody would deny that men are generally more violent, but then the inevitable progression of that conversation would be to ask WHICH men are the more violent, generally.
>>
>>66398348
>>66398439
I never considered that. Good to know.
>>
>>66398285
Judging a group on their actions yesterday is not the same as judging a group on the actions of members of that group now long dead, who existed in a culture that is completely different than ours.

In short: You're a retard, and you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
>>
>>66397052
See the problem is that that's the shit SJW's do to claim all men are rapists and shit like that.
>>
>>66398285
>2% of whites owned slaves 200 years ago
>80% of current muslims support shariah law
>jews are 2% of us population yet make up 90% of media

Yeah totally the same thing
>>
>>66397020
It's a stupid idea to drive.
City planners are starting to design spaces where you can walk to necessities and discourage driving and it's a pretty baller idea.

Next we need to plan cities without fast food chains and we can live till we're 100.
>>
>>66396934
statistical trends outweigh exceptions, by virtue of them being exceptions

healthy grandma fallacy doesn't hold more weight than trend recognition. It's an argument from igonrance if anything
>>
File: anwers.png (337 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
anwers.png
337 KB, 3000x2250
>>66398251
Relative to poverty, yes. Violent crime, big time. Way bigger problem with theft, drugs, and the like. WV murder rate is below the national average. Nt avg was 4.5 I think, (2012) and WV was just under it.

louisiana was first, with over 12, Mississippi was 2nd, at 10.4 I think.

Oh look, anyone wanna guess what two states have the highest % of niggers?
>>
>>66398680
we just invaded iraq and destabilized an entire fucking region you dumb child do you really think its all "in the past" holy fuck you are naive
>>
>>66397419
link to actual video?

Or just why was Ben tripping?

Too much cocaine?
>>
>>66398869
I think it's reasonable to associate black as % of population with crime in most cases, but how about hispanic, is there any correlation there? LA is a shithole, but El Paso is a very safe place from what I can find.
>>
>>66399277
Yes, very very strongly correlated. A lot of data lumps hispanics in with whites (such as the 49-50% statistic. it's 49% White (includes hispanics) and 51% blacks that commit murders.

Lets split that, shall we? Hispanics are 17% of the population, Whites 62-63% IIRC. Hispanics commit 28% of that 50%, whereas whites do the other 31, despite having 4x the population.

Hispanics are 4x more likely to commit violent crime that whites, and blacks are 8x more likely. Whites are 4x more likely to commit violent crime than asians, though (even though Cho has the USA shooting spree high score. As usual, Asians are most efficient).
>>
>>66399814
This is all recall, and from 2012 data. It's reasonable to assume the nubmers haven't moved much...most data was murder, not all violent crime, but violent crime data way more favors whites anyways. They don't do robbery and burglery like blacks do. They DO however commit rape at about the same rate. A little lower, but not much.
>>
>>66397052
Exactly. White guys generally shoot up schools
>>
>>66400250
POO IN LOO YOU DISGUSTING FAGGOT
>>
File: basketcase.jpg (40 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
basketcase.jpg
40 KB, 377x377
>>66396934
>not all muslims are out to kill people
But a lot are. And they only need one.
>>
>>66400250

Exactly. Indians generally shit in the streets
>>
>>66400016
>. They DO however commit rape at about the same rate. A little lower, but not much.
source? you sure you're not lumping hispanics in there?

the only crime in which whites are equally represented or overrepresented are

liquor laws

public drunkenness

dui

dwi
>>
>>66400648

It's a lower rate, for sure, but only like 6-7%. Not 35-40% like every other stat. I think.
>>
File: 1452040136373.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1452040136373.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>>66399814
Asians will smile to your face and hire someone else to kill you the next day. That's how that works.
>>
>>66396934
It all depends on context. Specifically, it depends on whether and individual or a group is being defended.

>a hiring manager rips up a job application without reading it because the applicant is black
>"Not all blacks are like that!"
Perfectly rational response. For all he knows he might have turned down the perfect applicant, who will now end up working for a competitor instead.

>someone criticizes mass Muslim immigration, citing disproportionate levels of violence and crime attributable to first and especially second generation Muslim immigrants, even after controlling for factors like class, income, education level, etc.
> "Not all Muslims are like that!"
Irrational response. It is immaterial whether all or even most Muslims are like that; because there is empirical evidence that the ones already here make life worse for the native population, a nation-state which prioritizes the welfare of its own citizens (as it should) will not admit them.
>>
>>66400250
And brown people generally shoot up entire countries.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.