[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please don't let this dream die with Bernie Sanders. Our
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (184 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
184 KB, 640x640
Please don't let this dream die with Bernie Sanders.

Our Shitty Public State Colleges need reform! We can make them just as good as the German ones. Public State Colleges should be free for all Americans!

This is a tax worth paying, that dodgy State College right up the street should be tuition free paid by the tax payers
>>
>make college free
>but pay this tax, goy
impressive mental gymnastics
>>
>>66280615
I would support making Callege free, but only for certain majors which are in-demand.

Things like STEM and medicine should be free, but if you want to waste time and money on art, sociology, or gender studies, then you have to pay for it.
>>
>>66280918
No it should all be free, but if you take one of the "lesser" courses you must also pick one of the mains.
>>
>>66280615
Shut up, you damn well know $20,000 a year is too much to pay for goddamn daycare.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 492x492
>USA public state colleges as good and as free as German colleges

Bros... We could take over the world and lower the crime rate all at the same time
>>
File: 1456058214475.jpg (258 KB, 1024x848) Image search: [Google]
1456058214475.jpg
258 KB, 1024x848
>>66280615
>We fight for the working class!
>Hey you, worker! Pay for my college degree!
>>
>>66281549

>hey you worker , pay for my high school diploma

Same thing
>>
>>66281604
College kiddies might have the mentality of a highschooler, but that doesn't make the two systems the same.
>>
>>66280615
>minister in Lower-saxony
>mattering
Free university is a good idea though.
>>66281549
>green party
>workers
No.
They are upperclass left
Also free uni is a massive benefit for qualified children of workers.
>>
>>66280615
We don't want education to be determined by genetic superiority.

This is the death of an ancient culture and people. White women will pay for this
>>
bernie is already done and college will never be free in america :)
>>
File: 1446917416248.jpg (251 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1446917416248.jpg
251 KB, 800x600
>>66283709
>Wealth of parents = genetic superiority
>>
>>66281604
One is optional.
>>
The entire system is a bloated mess filled with people that really don't need to be there. They waste resources and they take up professors time that could be used to make the best of us, the innovators of our country even better. I refuse to pay for some stupid fucks feminist studies degree. If they want to make horrible life decisions then they should pay for it.
>>
>>66280918
Plus two years of public service or military.
>>
>>66280918
the system already regulates this. For example, access to medicine requires better academic curriculum, and when the system is already full of doctors they raise the threshold even more and lower the number of available seats to dissuade overproduction. When doctors are needed they increase the number of seats and lower the threshold a bit.

Same goes for most big majors. Majors not in demand (philosophy, arts, music, etc) are taught in less schools (requiring less funds) so they produce less students and usually have a lower threshold.

Priority is always given to better students (no affirmative action), so if you were a shitty student and wanted to be a doctor you may find yourself at the end of the queue, having to go to a university at the other side of the country or even without possibility of studying medicine (unless you go private school, always less prestigious).

Students are required to give 5? options in order of preference. Then you are given choices depending on your performance and location. Many have no option but to settle for their second, third, fourth choice.

Not a perfect system and needs continuous fine tuning but it somehow works.

Also, medicine students then get to practice in 'public' healthcare hospitals and clinics (also preference to better students) and the best ones get hired there, so the whole system feeds itself.
>>
>>66280615
Its funny, cause 2012 we got tuitions for the first time in germany, but it was only 500€/semester.
After 2 Years the leftist ruled states got rid of em again, cause the UNIs couldnt handel the cash flow.
It was a "equal"-distribution-system. So STEM and Social-Studies got the same amount of cash.
One part needed equipment for better studies, the other was flush in money and didnt know how to spend it.

B-but it was equal spending, doh!
>>
File: Georgia State Flag.png (45 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
Georgia State Flag.png
45 KB, 1200x750
>>66280615
Public State College was free here until too many niggers and spics abused it. Now it's 90% paid for. Maybe you shouldn't live in such a shit state.

t. Athens, GA resident, UGA and GA Tech alumnus
>>
>>66280615
As long as its not one of those liberal arts majors
>>
>>66280615

>/pol/ says making colleges free wouldn't work

How about making them cheaper and removing the jewing with text books and financial aid? Or perhaps stopping the benefits gained by forcing people into debt?
>>
>>66280615
Not really relevant for me.

I don't go to a public university, and if I had kids, I wouldn't want them going to a public university either.
>>
File: 1455433189037.jpg (102 KB, 1024x744) Image search: [Google]
1455433189037.jpg
102 KB, 1024x744
>>66280615
No chance in hell will republican tea partier soccer moms pay for Common Core AND leftist indoctrination in colleges.
>>
>>66280615
>Make college free
>(Pay for my college)
>>
University isn't free here, but relatively cheap. I pay around 370€ per semester, wich also allows me to use all public transport in my city and regional trains in my state.

If you really are poor as shit you can apply for a gov student loan, half of it must be payed back.

Anyway, it's not just the cost of semesters, you gotta buy your own material as well and if you are not eligible for the gov loan you gotta pay tv license and shit.

And all that is paid for by a real tax rate of up to 70%, of wich up to 45-50% can be income tax.

Trust me, this is not a system you want.
>>
>>66280615
Germans also limit university to top students on controlled paths, unlike in the US where you can go and do what you want.

Besides, the biggest issue in American Colleges isn't Tuition but the arms-race of amenities and room and board hikes which often aren't covered by scholarships (and are taxed when they are). This happens because shit schools build spas and movie theaters and shit on campus, and then charge a premium for relatively substandard degrees.

Hell, prodessors and research hardly get anything if you aren't in the STEM nest egg.
>>
Well, there is the whole tax-return thing & tons of stuff you can get cheaper/free by wading through tons of German bureaucrazy (not a typo), at least where I'm at. I don't think anyone but actual Germans would be able to even start wrapping their head around that, I have like 5 big folders of paperwork, but in the end Uni barely cost me anything.

But yeah, as a whole, the system has tons of flaws
>>
>>66287130
Basically you gotta decide what you want:
Pay more for education for a few years but pay way less taxes for the rest of your life or pay less for education for a few years and pay a shitload of taxes for the rest of your life.

I think the former is more profitable in the long run. Higher education is an investment that can pay off if you study the right things (stem). Otherwise you should learn a trade, because investing in liberal arts is stupid as fuck.
>>
Burn the colleges down and replace them with effective, non-antiquated educational institutions and we'll talk.

I have to be honest though, dropping out of college was the best choice I ever made. It's basically useless. I'm pulling almost 70k with an extremely simple Allied Health career and investing it for far superior gains than what I would get from any degree I would've pursued. My only regret is that I didn't skip college altogether in lieu of investing my tuition on top of my current funds; I would've been a millionaire about 15 years from now.

I also started a business recently which is proving very successful for less than 15k startup.

Fuck college, it's overpriced day care and just a way for a bunch of egotistical, otherwise-worthless academics to fleece you and fuck you and have you feel good about it. Giving them full, unfettered access to taxpayer dollars will literally only make them worse because now they don't have to change to survive.
>>
>>66280615
Go move to gernany then faggot
>>
>enact Common Core like program on colleges, focusing on STEM classes, replacing gen eds
>retards get weeded out
>enrollment goes down, causing tuition to decrease
>no more SJW indoctrination bullshit
>main focus on STEM classes, making students better prepared for the real world
>People with STEM degrees would most likely graduate earlier, resulting in them paying even less in tuition.

Problem solved.
>>
Free higher education. NO WAY.

Why should I pay for your $100,000 a year job?
You want a degree in twelfth century German poetry, pay for it yourself. If I ever need some one who can advise me on twelfth century German poetry, I'll look you up and you can charge what ever the market will bear.
My family doctor paid his way through medical school working nights at my restaurant. I got a smart employee for two years and he now has five people who go in for regular check ups. What he charges for a consult is many times more than I paid him to wait tables.

It's called a free market Economy. You pay to get a skill. You than sell that skill, either to some one who needs your skill or to some one who wants to learn that skill. Charge to much and people will go elsewhere or do without.
>>
College shouldn't be free.
The problem with college right now is that it is too free for some people, loans are too easy to get, and there's no price regulation. The Pell Grant really helps a lot of people, up to $5k in grants is nice. Federal student loans are causing a massive bubble, but for a lot of people it helps.
Some states such as based Georgia (my state) have the HOPE scholarship, which is near-free college as long as you keep your GPA above 3.0

Since college is close to free for some, and getting loans for it is so easy, it has been easy for colleges to crank up prices for easy $$$
>$150 textbooks written by the college
>with a $100 online access codes required for the course
>average of $1250 in textbooks a year
>$2k in tuition, but another $6k in bullshit fees like "health fee," "technology fee," "parking fee," etc.
>freshmen MUST live on campus, which amounts to another $10k in room and board
>and other frivolous bullshit

We need to fix that bullshit first. Just making it free doesn't fix everything that's wrong with it. Allow private colleges to charge whatever, but public colleges need heavier price regulation.
>>
>>66280615

Access to education is always affected by the wealth and status of the parents. Tuition is only one aspect of it.

Home environment, security, parents' education and employment, need to work during education all give an edge to the children of people that are better off. And that edge is what motivates people to bust their ass and be better off in the first place.

This sort of measure only deprives parents and students of choice and flexibility when it comes to finding education.
>>
>>66282075
Pretty much are. In Estonia high-school isn't mandatory and it's pointless for most people. Like college. Too bad you have to pay even if you don't go because muh free education.
>>
>>66280615
BS for top 3 state schools should be free.
And the country pay 50% of tuition and board for top 100 private schools for kids from non-upper class. (also provides interest free loan)
>>
>>66280615

Or...

>We want to subsidize education, that way our people will never use their brain again!
>>
>>66280615
yeah, we totally need free college for all those gender studies and social justice degrees

its occupy wallstreet all over again
>>
>>66280615
Our tuition fees here are fairly high but we have a decent loans system where it's deducted just like any other tax in a manageable amount and you only have to pay after you make £20000/ annum (just about a livable salary) and if you never get that much then you never pay.
>>
>>66290189
The way I see it, education makes one use their brain more than the opposite action of not going through education. You don't have to be submissive to everything you're being told while you're at school.

Maybe this free college would earn americans a reputation of smart people as a whole, although I admit there are many smart people over there already
>>
Honestly, I would be perfectly fine with public tertiary education if they implemented universal conscription as well.
>>
>>66280615
>just as good as the German ones

lowering your standards is an accomplishment now?
>>
I would only agree to free college if students pick their major are only given one chance. It's stupid and a waste of tax money if they're able to change majors with no downfall.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.