[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything outside of STEM and Medicine to study that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
File: stem-logo.jpg (42 KB, 396x300) Image search: [Google]
stem-logo.jpg
42 KB, 396x300
Is there anything outside of STEM and Medicine to study that isnt degenerate? Ive almost finished my phd in design in Mechanical engineering, looking back i just remembered that i almost went to study philosophy. Now that looks retarded to me, makes no sense. Just a waste of time and resources. And i dont mean in the sense that you cant get a job afterwards etc etc, i mean youre useless to the society. You will never contribute.
Sure you might shit out some retarded quote and centuries later degenerates who study that subject will circle jerk about it and the system will force it upon people who couldnt be less interested, for some reason. I mean social sciences are a wonderful hobby, but not something to spend your whole life on.

So /pol/ is there anything other than Medicine and STEM thats worth spending your life on?
>>
File: 1455139352140.jpg (88 KB, 736x947) Image search: [Google]
1455139352140.jpg
88 KB, 736x947
Correction, Economics and Teaching valid social science in my opinion.
>>
Women's Studies
>>
Finance, if that's not STEM
>>
>>66210958
First time in a while the internet made me laugh out loud.
>>
Linguistics, the study of language, the greatest enigma ever.
>>
>>66211001
Yeah i corrected my self in >>66210934
>>
>>66210870
>almost finished with STEM PhD
>coming to /pol/

Go build a life, faggot.
>>
>>66211041
Degenerate imo, what can you contribute to the Human society by dedicating your life to languages?
>>
>>66210870
Urban studies. STEM is tha whyte man's magic shet
>>
>>66211088
Ive been on /pol/ all along faggot
>>
History is probably the least degenerate humanity. It's not infested with liberals, although you get a lot of worthless neckbeard military fetishists.
>>
>>66210870
History is hit or miss. It all depends on your perspective, there are great historians then those fucks that can't get past the white guilt complex. It teaches analytical skills, which I've noticed many people lack.

>>66211156
But muh Rhodesia.
>>
>>66210870
physics also because you have a good university for astrophysics in beograd
>>
>>66210870
Hmm, something that contributes to society but isn't STEM or medicine.

Fighting against the elements that take away from society would probably count for something.
>>
>>66211156
I disagree, even tho i love history more than anything i think its just a hobby and dedicating your life to it means you will lead a worthless life. My thinkign is that anything that doesnt directly improve living conditions is not worth studying. When will a historian get us to colonise mars? When will a historian build a system to feed the world?
>>
>>66211114
t. Language teaching, translation, literature (not in the faggot way), language disorder, artifical intelligence, pretty much anything that has any written or spoken word like cinema, radio, TV, again not in the faggot way because linguistics is one of the two platonian sciences. Mathematics beign one, linguistics the other. There is nothing more fundamental than these two in the world of science.
>>
>>66210870

Butt Studies with a minor in Yo Mama
>>
Nope /thread
>>
>>66211001
frag out!
>>
File: twisted.jpg (731 KB, 815x649) Image search: [Google]
twisted.jpg
731 KB, 815x649
Is history and archeology degenerate?
>>
There are plenty of degenerates (i.e. future NEETs) in STEM fields as well.

I teach Computer Science. Currently our job placement is about 75% (relative to other departments, that is very high). But the 25%...? I guess they post on /pol/ all day.
>>
>>66211368
>teaching
Language is best taught trough emersion, the classic system fo teaching language isnt working. Proof to that is the eastern european countries, they all have english in schools for 8+ years and yet no one speaks english because they have no contact with the language it self. So thats a waste of time, internet will be the one to teach the future generations languages.
>translation
Ive only had programming for one semester and mainly focused on CNC programming and yet i know enough to make a translating program. So what im saying is translators will die off very soon.
>literature
meh cant really argue with that without resorting to calling it degenerate
>language disorder
what?
>artifical intelligence
what? How does that have anything to do with linguistic studies?
>>
>>66210870
I almost studied philosophy too. I dropped out and didn't go back though. I still value philosophy but there's really no sense in it being its own subject.

I need to reapply at some point but I've no idea what to do. Part of me wants to study History but the more pragmatic part of me says I should study Law. STEM isn't really a possibility, I don't have much interest in it or the background in relevant subjects.
>>
>>66211637
>>66211337
>>
accounting
finance
>>
>>66210870
Classical Arts, Literature and Philosophy.

That's it.
>>
>>66210870
Only a tiny number of engineers will have any greater effect on society than tweaking air resistance by 0.05% so the company can make a slightly higher profit per year.

It pays well and there's less bullshit, yeah, but this "I contribute to society" meme is just as annoying. Not every engineer invents the wheel and not every liberal arts student only writes for Salon.

Stop trying to turn everything into an ideology. I bet you don't masturbate over plumbers either just because they have some hands-on contribution to society.

I always imagine the people creating as the most sad and hollow of all.

>>66211114
You're not even able to type the very sentence in which you attack the study of language without making mistakes. Who's to say that's less degenerate than someone who doesn't give a fuck about how his microwave works while writing a play that broadens the horizons of millions?
>>
>>66211897
Literature is plagued by post-modern bullshit.
>>
>>66211337
History done as a hobby and not an academic discipline will be fuzzy and riddled with half-truths. Who is going to tell us about factors that led to societal collapse in the past? Who is going to inform us about conflicts and conflict resolution of the past?

Those, and a host of other things, are worth knowing and have a significant impact on our actions.

I do think that history could use more rigor and look for connections with theories in evolution and the social sciences.
>>
I'm studying Economics, but I'm getting a second major in Spanish because it's easy, resume line and is a small bonus, especially in the area I hope to live (Northern Virginia).
>>
>>66212121
Sounds like a solid plan. Best of luck.
>>
>>66211637
No but you ain't gonna get no jobs, my cousin got one and he's been a bum for like 5 years now, the only choice is becoming a teacher really.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (24 KB, 230x202) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
24 KB, 230x202
>>66212053
Mechanic engieers keep factories running. Factories keep society running.
Linguistic's students go on 4chan to correct other people's grammar.
>>
>>66211819
C... come on guys... im studying the indoeuropeans... we wuz urheimat n'shiet...

;_;
>>
>>66212104
True. Suppose I should put 'classical' before all three.
>>
>>66212053
*creating these threads, I meant.

t. lawfag who will contribute to society just as vaguely as everyone else by maybe helping to get the company that colonises Mars the necessary capital, or maybe just deceiving poor widows out of their inheritance, who knows and who cares.
>>
>>66210870
Agriculture
Farmings a vital one, and its ever being improved by STEM. Keep your people fed, its the most important and well payed... in England anyway if your the landowner
>>
>>66210870
Any trade, but you don't really study those more than learn them in apprenticeships
>>
>>66212653
Agreed
>>
I studied philosophy and got a job straight out of college doing instructional design.

Philosophy builds a strong skill set in critical thinking and problem solving logically and you can find work as a consultant or in quality assurance.
>>
>>66212438
Classical Philosophy is essentially history. Modern Philosophy is vapid reiteration and intentional obfuscation.

It needs to be redistributed amongst the other subjects where relevant because it in and of itself is too full of worthless naval gazing and self-aggrandisement.
>>
>>66211767
I really thought you were not shit posting.
>>
>>66210870
I like to study gender studies.

Am I red-pilled?
>>
>>66212370
I'm not a linguistics student, I am someone with a different opinion on what's "degenerate", namely those who can't speak or write properly. And who's to say who's right?

I think the guys who drafted the Constitution or those idiot Greek philosophers we still quote have contributed more to society than the guys who engineered the shakeweight.

Why are you so insecure that you have to make threads about how some people study something less useful than you (before you contributed a single thing to society, too)?
>>
Philosopher here

Do not study philosophy at the universities.
>>
Why are STEM people so autistic, and suffer from inferiority complex?
Is it cause you were bullied in school for being nerdy fags?
Also, try and explain me how studying law is "degenrate" for example.
>>
>>66212653
The only way you'll make a decent living off farming is if you have a massive amount of starting capital or fulfill one of very few niches. Very few are in a position I would want to be in.
>>
>>66211767
not the guy that you're replying to, but;

>language disorder
see: Aphasia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia

>artificial intelligence
how do you think google knows what you mean when you ask "where are restaurants near me"?
or how speech recognition works? or how text to speech works? this is all work that has been done by linguists, supported by theories developed from linguists.

>translators will die off very soon
Maybe in our lifetimes, most computerized translators still fucking suck dude, try translating something in google from any language to another back and forth a few times and you will end up with complete gibberish...

Also, learning how the fundamental/universal aspects of all languages work is pretty fucking cool IMO
>>
>>66212819
What that amounts to is "I learnt to sell my own brand of bullshit"

You as a person are of more importance than your degree in acquiring jobs in those fields.
>>
>>66212946
>comparing the greatest in one field to the worse in the other field.
Wonderful Hans.
>>
>>66212327
Thanks m8
>>
>>66213415
It was enough to refute your point?
>i mean youre useless to the society. You will never contribute.

So what you're saying is just that ON AVERAGE, these people contribute less? And that is what makes you feel so much better about yourself?

Or are you arguing that in a company which employs 10 engineers, 10 guards, a CEO, 2 managers, 6 secretraries, 1 translator, 1 lawyer, 1 janitor etc. etc. only the engineers contribute?

You don't even know what point you're making apart from "please agree with me I'm worth something and the others are all degenerates". I realise that "most people are useful in some way but me more than others" doesn't have the same ring to it.
>>
>>66214374
>You don't even know what point you're making apart from "please agree with me I'm worth something and the others are all degenerates". I realise that "most people are useful in some way but me more than others" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Thats bullshit, look at other replies. I agreed that i was wrong about some studies. Not everyone is like you, not everyone has an undying desire to be accepted by a bunch of creepy people on a weeabo racist site.
And yes engineers contribue more to society on average by far. Social sciences should be left to those who are natural talents, and natural talents dont need to dedicate 5 years of their lives to be able to understand some ancient greek retard.
>>
>>66211788
Isn't the job market for lawyers absolutely cucked?
>>
>>66210870

>Ive almost finished my phd in design in Mechanical engineering
>design in Mechanical engineering
>design

So you are still going to be another engineer's bitch. So redpilled.
>>
>>66214737
>engineers contribute to society more
You're narrow-minded person. This is often the case with STEM people.
You know very little about world outside of your own field, and you're too arrogant to consider that it's more complex than you think.
>>
>>66215182
Design only adds another word to my title and more knowledge. I dont see how another mechanical engineer could do better at mechanics than me? Maybe if he focused on the subject at hand ie. motors, weapon systems etc etc. But im just as good as a generic engineer at mechanics, + im better at design
>>
>>66215289
Your whole argument is "youre wrong", are you a feminist?
>>
File: 1449496310010.jpg (143 KB, 888x1120) Image search: [Google]
1449496310010.jpg
143 KB, 888x1120
Theology is literally God tier

>tfw when I understand religion better than some fedora tipper ever will
>tfw catholic schools are few on nogs
and some have corporal punishment
>>
>>66214737
Except that is exactly how it works. Since someone had brought up linguistics - look at Tolkien. He went from one exotic dead language department to the next, advancing them all, making sure knowledge and old traditions of his culture lived on, drawing on century-old poems that formed societies in his own works which then entertained millions and created hundreds of jobs and millions of revenue.

I'm on your side that many people should just pursue as hobbies what they are pursuing a degree in and that many of these people will have to bullshit their way through life because they don't have anything to offer. But pretty much everyone agrees on that and if you start going into a rant about how every non-stem is a useless denerate while only the corporate slaves who keep a factory of useless consumer shit running in exchange for money are true Übermenschen who advance socierty - it just gets pathetic.

Only 1 out of 100 people will ever matter in the slightest and these few people come from all directions.
>>
>>66215643
Forgot theology. I would have concidered it if the clergy here wasnt disgustingly corrupt.
>>
>>66210870

Econ/History double tap
>>
>>66215643
Stop role-playing and get a real degree.

Political science degrees are where it's at
>>
Is architecture degenerate? I need /pol/'s approval on my career choice. Unlike other art degrees I actually have a real job and contribute to society in the form of buildings. Plus I have to be familiar with law and other legal matters involving building construction and permitting.
>>
>>66216052

Get an engineering degree and then go architect as grad program.
>>
>>66215626
You post doesn't make any sense. I'm explaining you your problem which led you to delusions about how STEM graduates are "more important" than everyone else.
I'll ask you again: explain me how are law studies "degenerate" or less important than your field?
>>
Nutrition
>>
>>66215944
>concerning yourself with worldly affairs

I can red pill students on politics just as much as any history or polysci professor
>>
>>66210870
Economics and/or finance
>>
What are dumb people supposed to do? I'm too stupid and poor to get a STEM degree. Science, economics, engineering, etc are all too much for me. To be honest I'm not really university material. I'm sick of working over night stock at grocery stores.
>>
>>66210870
Linguistics.
>>
>>66210934
This, we need more male teachers. Also S is useless unless it's physics or chemistry.
>tfw fell for the microbiology meme
>>
>>66216384
Construction
>>
File: 1321641224601.jpg (164 KB, 393x500) Image search: [Google]
1321641224601.jpg
164 KB, 393x500
>>66215944
>Political science degrees are where it's at
>>
>>66216131
Imagine a world is a small village. While the mechanics student in the village is studying how to make a tractor, food processing units, power generators, motors etc to feed and power up the village the law student is studying what could have been done in 1 month for 5 years. Wasting his time and everyone elses resources.
>>
>>66216579
>Imagine a world is a small village
thats where you fucked up.

Its not a small village.
>>
>>66211156
What about black history?
>>
>>66216131
Штo хoћy дa кaжeм јe дa ycтaв мoжe дa ce нayчи зa 1 мeceц. Ocтaлих 5 гoдинa ти тpaжиш pyпe y зaкoнy и yчиш глyпocти кao нeкe дpyгe зaкoнe. To би билo кopиcтнo дa cи ти y пoзицији дa пpoмeниш зaкoн, aли пoштo вepoвaтнo ниcи нeмa cмиcлa.
>>
>>66216673
But it is, 1000/100 is the same as 10/1. There is nothing wrong with theroizing with proportional reduction.
>>
>>66212331
I already have a job tho

>>66212435
>>
File: LIFE_-_Adolf_Gitler_11.jpg (40 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
LIFE_-_Adolf_Gitler_11.jpg
40 KB, 534x800
Art
>>
Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Management, Law, Teaching, Nursing, Architecture, Urban Planning, Agriculture

And Arts and Humanities are fine in moderation, It's just gotten to the point where they make up the bulk of the student population when realistically they should make up 10-15% of the population, if that.
>>
>>66216996
Business management is very very questionable, I've gone to their lectures and they're bullshit 101 in my experience
>>
>>66210870
I started taking classes this semester.
College is a fucking waste of time. No doubt. Im forced to take humanities classes merely to justify the existence of humanities teachers. I'm going to go to trade school or a union instead.
>>
>>66216579
And now imagine the world is not some irrelevant and devoid-of-logic mental experiment that you pulled out of your ass but is actually the real world and developed to need more than hunters and gatherers so people came up with laws and contracts so those engineering students don't kill each other.

Also don't ignore my post here about how you're a huge idiot and maybe you can still turn your Napoleon complex around.
>>66215719

Really, the way you think and argue like a child is the best argument for why we need the humanities. You can't eat a good analogy, no, but at least you wouldn't embarrass yourself.
>>
>>66216579
>Imagine a world is a small village.
It's not. No need to imagine it, because world was never a small village, and it will never be a small village. Your thought experiment is as retarded as you are.
You're average person, but arrogant, so that makes you think you drained all the wisdom of the world. Awful combination, and only expressed on internet, I'm certain.
>>
>Dumb as fuck
>Still want to into STEM
Is there some kind of khan academy for physics?
>>
>>66216816
>When I act as if we're still in the Stone Age without any hint of division of tasks, social conflicts, desire for entertainment but just trying to find enough berries to live 'til tomorrow, then I'm merely doing proportional reduction

Looks like engineering degrees from Serbia aren't worth a whole lot.
>>
>>66216749
Ah, so you're basically saying that law studies could be condensed in 1 month.
Dude, you wouldn't be able to learn basic basics of the law in one month.
Nor is constitution only law. Nor does law only deal with constitution and memorizing laws.
In your infinite wisdom and knowledge, you have peasants' vision of law.
As I said, cure yourself of your arrogance, you'll be happier and wiser.
>>
>>66210870
STEM is degenerate too. All these feminist faggots with dyed hair and video game shirts that talk about how they're hot shit because they made a python script.
>>
>>66217406
What are you looking for, money? Just go do investment banking senpai, literally the easiest ticket to getting rich.
>>
>>66210870
Law?
>>
File: Sassy.gif (22 KB, 201x308) Image search: [Google]
Sassy.gif
22 KB, 201x308
>Business Info Tech degree
>Get HR degree
>make more, do less, and never hire STEM fags
>>
>>66217867
According to OP law is useless and can be learnded in 1 month tops.
>>
>>66210870
From my experience, STEM, Medicine, Dentistry and Law are the best degrees to have.
>>
File: MONI.jpg (57 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
MONI.jpg
57 KB, 800x450
>>66218484

No the best degree is money.

MONI
O
N
I
>>
>>66218819
These degrees will get you the MONI, haha.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.